Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So I just fired up Blitz for the first time in a while, and it said I can't view scores or use power-ups because there's no connection to Rock Central. Is this a known thing where the game just can't be played like it used to anymore, or could my internet/360 have just been having connection issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
They killed it several years ago but not being able to use power ups is loving weird.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I feel like the only way we would be getting new instruments is with some sort of Rock Band 5 release with a band in a box bundle.

And if Target could price the bundle wrong again for $60 so I can get the whole thing dirt cheap, that would be wonderful.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
This is probably a pipe dream but if they could get approval from MS and Sony to be able to sell cross-platform wireless instruments then it might make it more logistically possible.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Astro7x posted:

I feel like the only way we would be getting new instruments is with some sort of Rock Band 5 release with a band in a box bundle.

I think the only way new instruments are ever happening is with crowdfunding, and at that scale of manufacturing each instrument would have to be in the $150-200 range.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I wish they'd do another run on the legacy controller adapters. I've already got perfectly good guitars sitting around gathering dust, I'd rather use these then generate more plastic garbage. Granted, I imagine the market availability for used instruments that still work is rapidly dwindling, most probably already found their forever homes in a dump somewhere.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
They all got dumped in that volcano

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
As much as I would like new instruments, I would not support a loving crowdfunding campaign for Epic Games, they can afford it.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I'm a dummy and whilst intoxicated and listening to Greta van Fleet last night, I thought it would be awesome to drum some of their songs in RB. I only play RB3 on PS3 due to the much lower latency w/ my MIDI adapter and Roland TD-25KV.

This morning I realized those tracks were only for RB4 on PS4 :( I'm not going to bother trying to get a refund since it was my bad and they deserve the money anyway heh.

I wish the PS4 latency w/ HDMI audio wasn't so bad. It's playable with the guitar/bass when adjusted but I play my e-drum kit with a Simmons DA200 monitor so I can rock the hell out and the delay is just too much to enjoy.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I think we need to change the thread title. the Xbox One is no longer the most expensive peripheral you need for this game.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Just change “expensive” to “cheapest” and keep on trucking

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Ehhhh microphones still exist

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
back at my parents' house for the first time in a year, which means i got to catch up on a year of c3 customs. lotta cool stuff out there.

thing is, my 360 seems to be having trouble reading discs. right now, i can usually get it to read my (as far as i can tell unmarred) rock band 3 disc after four or five tries. it's a bit scary! i'm hoping it's just dust clogging something up, but i worry it's a laser going out or something.

given that i'm probably not going to get an xbox one and a midi adapter to keep playing when this thing finally dies, this has had me wondering about what's going on in the rock band simulation/emulation space. in my head, this is an easy problem: i used to play stepmania, for god's sake, open source communities figured out how to put scrolling shapes on a screen in time to music years ago. and right now, i'm easy: i don't care about whether people make simulators that support animations, or multiplayer, or vocals (though karaoke display would be nice for when im going full phil collins), i just want the drat notes to scroll and that's enough of a start for me

i've been reading up on clone hero, and it seems like it has drums now, but it's some poo poo where you have to like join a discord to get a beta build. there was a game called phase shift that had drums first, but it is basically abandoned now and i guess everyone's rallying behind clone hero. in terms of features, from what i can tell, clone hero doesn't handle separate stems, but the custom song tools (C3 CON Tools) lets you convert CON files to phase shift with a single track downmix, and then you can use the phase shift formatted files in clone hero.

the weird thing that's kind of bothering me is i keep reading about how the con files have "encrypted MOGG" audio. i guess this is some kind of encryption on the audio to prevent ripping, which like, clearly didn't work because those beatles stems got out there, but both official DLC and a lot of custom songs have this encrypted audio. this scares me from an archival perspective, because it seems like it would prevent anyone from ever making a rock band simulator that supports multitrack audio. i'm also not really sure what's going on with C3 CON Tools and why it's able to downmix to a single track from "encrypted" audio - is it just bundling a decrypt tool that's kept closed source?

maybe this isn't a big deal and in a few years you'll be able to just emulate rock band 3 360 (or ps3, i guess that there is actually a ps3 emulator with effort behind it whereas no one really cares about 360, even if it seems like it should easier to emulate), and then you'll get all the rock band feature set rather than trying to do it in some free recreation. but i still like to imagine someone will some day make a full-featured open source rock band engine that can play all of the original, official content, and people can hook up their 3d printed plastic guitars and whatever midi drum kit they found on craiglist and maybe even a microphone and get the band back together without needing 15-year old hardware :unsmith:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i wrote that entire post up in the ten minutes i have been waiting for the clone hero discord to let me in so i can download the version that works with drums, by the way

quote:

Heads up for anyone who is curious where the updates have been since v.23.2.2 was released. We have been hard at work on the next major release of Clone Hero! We have been running Public Test Build releases since the beginning of 2020 while we work towards the final release.

Currently v1.0 has so many additional features over v.23.2.2, including drums, precision mode, hosted online servers, performance improvments, and Color Profiles! There is so much more to v1.0 than only those features so please check it out on the discord server to see it all!

https://discord.gg/Hsn4Cgu To join you need to wait 10 minutes to verify, read the rules and check the #ptb-opt-in channel, downloads for the game launcher are in #ptb-info-and-dl once you’ve opted into the PTB!

truly we live in hell

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i wrote that entire post up in the ten minutes i have been waiting for the clone hero discord to let me in so i can download the version that works with drums, by the way

quote:

Heads up for anyone who is curious where the updates have been since v.23.2.2 was released. We have been hard at work on the next major release of Clone Hero! We have been running Public Test Build releases since the beginning of 2020 while we work towards the final release.

Currently v1.0 has so many additional features over v.23.2.2, including drums, precision mode, hosted online servers, performance improvments, and Color Profiles! There is so much more to v1.0 than only those features so please check it out on the discord server to see it all!

https://discord.gg/Hsn4Cgu To join you need to wait 10 minutes to verify, read the rules and check the #ptb-opt-in channel, downloads for the game launcher are in #ptb-info-and-dl once you’ve opted into the PTB!

truly we live in hell

e: okay, so it seems like clone hero does support stems, and people have converted RB officials to it, so that kind of makes me feel better about the state of archival stuff. does seem like maybe it'd be touch and go on using C3 customs in clone hero due to the encrypted audio thing, though :(

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

abraham linksys posted:

truly we live in hell

e: okay, so it seems like clone hero does support stems, and people have converted RB officials to it, so that kind of makes me feel better about the state of archival stuff. does seem like maybe it'd be touch and go on using C3 customs in clone hero due to the encrypted audio thing, though :(

It's incredibly easy, there's a converter that turns them to the right format, takes like 15 seconds to go from downloading a song to playing it on CH. Literally anything from c3 works.

I've been on CH for about a year now over RB4/PS4 and it's a mile and a half of difference. If you have a PC accessible for your TV setup it's incredibly worth it, especially for 0 latency drums.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I really want to look more into CH specifically for the drums. I just haven't had the time to find the correct documentation and links. I did join the CH and CSC Discords but when I first started researching it, it looks like a lot of work. I have a PS3 MIDI adapter as well as a Roll Unlimited for PS3/4 so I'm hoping one of those will work without too much fudging. I already have a dedicated PC and massive sound system in my music room for Rocksmith so I'm set there.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

back at my parents' house for the first time in a year, which means i got to catch up on a year of c3 customs. lotta cool stuff out there.

thing is, my 360 seems to be having trouble reading discs. right now, i can usually get it to read my (as far as i can tell unmarred) rock band 3 disc after four or five tries. it's a bit scary! i'm hoping it's just dust clogging something up, but i worry it's a laser going out or something.

FYI, the 360 disc drive is pretty easy to replace if you know how to solder. I've replaced the drive in mine twice now.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Assuming you're not playing on Live, getting a JTAG mod (or RGH) is probably about the same difficulty or cost as swapping the optical drive, and then you can use any hard disk you want and not have to load a DVD ever again.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Pitre posted:

I really want to look more into CH specifically for the drums. I just haven't had the time to find the correct documentation and links. I did join the CH and CSC Discords but when I first started researching it, it looks like a lot of work. I have a PS3 MIDI adapter as well as a Roll Unlimited for PS3/4 so I'm hoping one of those will work without too much fudging. I already have a dedicated PC and massive sound system in my music room for Rocksmith so I'm set there.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. If you have a way to plug an e-kit in to a PC that's all that you really need.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I just ordered a touch screen monitor to mount to my drum rack for EZ Drummer stuff, and now I'm thinking I might as well take the plunge and give CH a try since I'll have a pc down there anyway.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Dr Zaius posted:

As much as I would like new instruments, I would not support a loving crowdfunding campaign for Epic Games, they can afford it.

I agree, but I feel like it would be a guaranteed way to get the instruments instead of dealing with these hosed systems these days of buying things.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Sorry, McFreeze, it just wasn't numerically possible.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I looked at the percentage after a while and the mountain remaining to climb and I went and did something else instead

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

dad zone remains bloodstoned

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

If anyone needs a crew on Xbox, our casual Goons Playing Tunes crew has a few slots.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/1564613977983918082?t=r6SrZlhbT7CvSJZT48lcNw&s=19

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
https://twitter.com/alex_navarro/status/1564623668617089029

DubBlowsHeaven
Jan 4, 2003

You know what's dangerous? Your obsession with me. Seriously, Lana, call Kenny Loggins, 'cause you're in the Danger Zone.

Kaboobi posted:

but yes, the RB3 export expires in a few weeks so buy it ASAP

http://twitter.com/RockBand/status/1308498325730099201

Well, poo poo... I missed it. I only recently just got the band back together, and I was not tuned in at all when this went down. It now seems I’m not going to have some of the best songs from RB3 in my series X upgraded library. I swear I would have bought it back when RB4 first came out, but it’s not in my history and the Xbox marketplace link is asking for a redemption code.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/rock-band-3-export-pack/bv9gkpvvw5qw

Anyone have any ideas about that export code? I read it’d need to be supplied by someone who bought the $15 export as a gift (ie, code) back before it went down in December 2020.
If anyone can help me out with getting what is probably the best RB track listing that was ever put together, it’d be so much appreciated.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

DubBlowsHeaven posted:

Well, poo poo... I missed it. I only recently just got the band back together, and I was not tuned in at all when this went down. It now seems I’m not going to have some of the best songs from RB3 in my series X upgraded library. I swear I would have bought it back when RB4 first came out, but it’s not in my history and the Xbox marketplace link is asking for a redemption code.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/rock-band-3-export-pack/bv9gkpvvw5qw

Anyone have any ideas about that export code? I read it’d need to be supplied by someone who bought the $15 export as a gift (ie, code) back before it went down in December 2020.
If anyone can help me out with getting what is probably the best RB track listing that was ever put together, it’d be so much appreciated.

Hate to say it but you’re fully out of luck buddy. It’s a licensing issue iirc. I missed out on the first two games export window so I feel some of your pain. Good news is they are still regularly putting out dlc, sometimes adding in tracks from the old games.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
at this point you're much better off getting into clone hero imo

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
People keep saying go for clone hero but idk, I almost exclusively play RB socially and the clone hero scene seems totally opposite my pov.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

clone hero lacks the most important part of a party game: drunk karaoke

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

At this point you're better off getting a hacked 360.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I missed out on the exports past RB3 and went the modded 360 route here. All you need is a usb thumb drive and an original copy of the RB3 disc, and then you can add many thousands of homebrew songs.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

At this point you're better off getting a hacked 360.

Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

https://twitter.com/CursedVideos/status/1585396287926841344

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm cleaning out the spare room, and I went to check up on my PS3 Beatles Guitar...and the batteries have corroded and spilled their guts all over. I've cleaned it out a bit but it seems like its dead. I'll trying cleaning it out with baking soda and vinegar.

Drums set batteries still good but I'm taking them out for the time being.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
If they are something like a Duracell battery and exploded under normal use conditions, it's always worth contacting them about the product it damaged due to their warranty

But if they were past their expiration date or some off brand ones, not much you can do.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Always remove the batteries from you plastic instruments once the annual Rock Band party is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I've never ghost ridden the rock band before but I have had some extremely cursed setups.