Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Abu Dave posted:

I just think this article was way more informative than anything IGN has poo poo out about Rock Band 4. I know i'll like Rock Band 4. It's more interesting to read someones thoughts who doesn't like Rock Band to see if there's anything new and interesting to "recapture the magic" or "spark the magic". There isn't. That's not a bad thing.

Agreed, more schools of journalism should follow this model of reporting. Next time a sports publication covers a major basketball game, they ought to send a writer who hates the sport and knows nothing about it to write about how bored he is, so that people who also don't like basketball can feel validated in their opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

So are RBN tracks going to be incompatible with RB4, or what? I've seen claims in both directions, but the indication is that they'll be incompatible , right?

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

whypick1 posted:

I think he meant the on-disc stuff, which he's SOL on.

Yeah, and even if you did try to use an old console and new copies of the old discs to get exports, the RB2 & Lego Rock Band & Green Day Rock Band export codes are all expired anyways. RB1 and the track packs still export, though; you need the disc to export RB1, but IIRC the track packs just come with a voucher code that you can redeem in the PSN/XBL storefront. They haven't yet committed to whether or not there will be a RB3 export at all, but I'd imagine that you'll need the actual disc to export from if that does happen (unless they make an exception for the people who bought a digital copy on 360, idk).

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Kabanaw posted:

The site used to generate RB2 export keys is down, so that's not possible anymore.

Supposedly, EA's customer support can get you a working key if you contact them directly, but there's no guarantee that they aren't out of RB2 export codes by now.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Dr. Citan Uzuki posted:

I can't even upgrade to RB4 to play it since Ions aren't supported...

As of the latest version of the instrument compatibility chart, the ION is compatible with RB4 on PS4 at least, though you're SOL if you're on Xbox

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

Everyone who hadn't exported the first two by now is also locked out and that's dumb. There's no reason for those codes to expire.

The RB1 export is still listed as being available for purchase on Xbox Live, so if you're going from 360 to XBOne you'd better pick it up while you can. IIRC, it was also available on PSN up until maybe a couple weeks ago.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Gaspar Lewis posted:

It's also not quite true, since Trash Boat, Twiminy and I collectively disproved it. If you're sure you have an unused, fresh RB2 code for your console family, or you annoy EA via RB3 until you luck into a working one, it's $10. The entitlements for 1 are still live, and so is everything for Blitz. Beatles is, let's face it, never happening, and the rest became DLC only ones with no record of a glimmer of hope are ACDC and LEGO.

Also their Facebook just quoted "83" as the number coming over so either someone missed a memo or they did the seemingly impossible and got 100%.

It looks like the AC/DC Live track pack is coming over eventually, since it's listed alongside the other track packs as "TBD" rather than "no export".

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

quote:

Your favorite neighborhood relicensing update here. These songs will be removed from the store at the end of December:

• BAP - Verdamp Lang Her
  • Caesars - Jerk It Out
  • KMFDM - Sturm & Drang
  • Little Fish - Am I Crazy
  • Picture Me Broken - Dearest (I’m So Sorry)
  • Veer Union - Seasons
  • Wir Sind Helen - Nur Ein Wort

We're also removing the Universal Motown Republic Rock 01 Pack, although all songs aside from Veer Union - Seasons will remain on the store as singles. We're expecting these songs to be removed across all platforms at the end of the month, although first party might update a little sooner or later. If you want to snag any of the above before they're gone, I'd recommend not procrastinating!

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

pksage posted:

I feel very out of touch. I knew plenty of songs in Off the Charts 01, but I have heard none of these.

Listen to a Top 40 radio station for literally ten minutes and I guarantee you'll hear at least two of them

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Is the game losing songs faster than it's adding them lately? :(

Counting these, that's 20 songs removed since RB4 came out

Counting the non-repeat preorder bonus tracks and the upcoming Disturbed 3-pack, there have been 82 DLC songs for RB4 so far

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

cronox2 posted:

Markman is leaving Mad Catz too, for those who don't know he was pretty much the face of their entire fighting game arcade stick division outside of the players they sponsor.

IIRC, he announced well before RB4 came out that he was leaving after SFV released, so he's probably the only person leaving the company now who wasn't actually laid off.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Beelzebozo posted:

Haha, looks like Sumo aren't exactly counting on having a bunch of Rock Band port work to do.

http://www.trueachievements.com/n23074/sumo-digital-lands-dead-island-2-development.htm

That doesn't really mean anything as far as Rock Band goes - it wouldn't be the first time Sumo has worked on multiple projects simultaneously.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

IllegallySober posted:

Quick question because I don't know where else to ask it:

Is RB3 still supported on PS3 as far as being able to download old DLC, or redeem codes from different expansion packs like Green Day RB or whatever?

Yes to the former, you should continue to be able to download those tracks up until PSN drops PS3 support entirely, which is years away since they're still manufacturing new PS3s and selling new PS3 games.

For the latter, the codes for disc exports and bonus songs are all expired except for the track packs (and the RB3-to-RB4 export, which doesn't use a code at all). If you already used an export code, you can redownload the exported tracks, but that's it.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

Hitching their cart to an unfinished plastic instrument game that came out years after the fad had died would've been a weird decision even if MadCatz had been able to supply working controllers on-time.

My impression is that the thing that burned them wasn't investing in RB4 itself, but the fact that they massively overproduced the game+guitar bundles because they thought they had to compete with the new Guitar Hero game for shelf space. You'd think that THQ dying to the self-inflicted wound that was the uDraw tablet would've been an object lesson for everyone in the business of manufacturing peripherals (that lesson being "don't make poo poo if you don't know for a fact that it'll sell"), but apparently not.

gtrmp fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 31, 2017

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

That's one for each person who could buy a standalone RB4 drum kit, right?

You'd think, after however many instrument games they'd done already, and after all the bitching from retailers who lost giant swaths of floor space to this stuff only to mark down those beaten-up boxes again and again, that they'd learn not to overproduce quite so madly but here we are I guess

they weren't called Sensible Catz

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

whypick1 posted:

Only RB3 is exportable now. All of the other titles are no longer available (but you can still pick up the tracks from Blitz individually).

IIRC, all of the Track Packs are still exportable as long as they come with an unused serial code. But yeah, the exports for the other games are long gone.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

City of Guitar Heroes

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Fina posted:

The recent Steam blog post about controller usage statistics on Steam shows 229k Steam users have had Rock Band instruments hooked up to their PC. This amuses me greatly and I'm proud.

I wonder if that number includes the instrument adapters for Rocksmith. SteamSpy suggests that at least 200k people own some version of Rocksmith on Steam, and I don't think there are all that many other games on Steam that support any kind of instruments as controllers.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Harmonix is making a karaoke game for Twitch

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

This week's DLC for Ubisoft's real guitar game Rocksmith is its last, after nearly a decade of uninterrupted weekly song packs

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Kaboobi posted:

because they can’t find a hardware manufacturer dumb enough to dump millions of dollars on an instrument run

a limited run of rock band controllers seems like something that crowdfunding could work well for

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

A PC port of a poorly-received sequel, which on top of that wouldn't actually let players carry over their existing song libraries, was never going to do well. The only way a PC port of Rock Band could have ever possibly succeeded outside of the genre's late-2000s heyday is if it were directly linked with the Microsoft store to allow users to access their libraries from the Xbox platform, which might not have been feasible anyways given how music licensing works. And even then, PC isn't exactly an ideal platform for a game that thrived at its peak via local co-op.

Barring an inexplicable nostalgia-based revival, Rock Band as a fake-plastic-instrument-based platform only has a future by catering to the already-existing fanbase. That fanbase is necessarily shrinking not even because the players have stopped playing out of their own volition, but because more and more of the player base no longer has working instruments and there are literally no replacements to be found. Economics of scale would necessarily mean that any hypothetical new batch of instruments would be have to be pricier than they ever were before; there aren't millions of hypothetical buyers, most likely not even hundreds of thousands. At that level, you have to ask if the average buyer is willing to pay possibly $200+ for each new Rock Band instrument by itself, and that's a question that might be best answered (for better or for worse) by a crowdfunding campaign.

I'm sure Harmonix is acutely aware of all this, but if they can't or won't get new instruments manufactured, then their only path forward is to simply hunker down and maintain the game on life support.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Astro7x posted:

I feel like the only way we would be getting new instruments is with some sort of Rock Band 5 release with a band in a box bundle.

I think the only way new instruments are ever happening is with crowdfunding, and at that scale of manufacturing each instrument would have to be in the $150-200 range.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

A new Harmonix game with no Dave Grohl tracks at launch... how the mighty have fallen...

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

He played drums on Go With the Flow

No, he did every other track on that album, Gene Trautmann did that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/fccinsights/status/1735330077188018310