Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
So the 360 version was pretty much universally better last generation, right? Due to RBN and other reasons? Is there any reason to believe the same thing could happen this gen, in terms of one version being better than another? Removing last-gen transfers from the equation.

e: Also I don't suppose any PAX goons are willing to pick me up that guitar, are they? :shobon:

e2: I also wanna answer this from the last thread:

quote:

I have no idea how they're going to make PS3->PS4 song export work since PS3 games don't run on PS4. Either way, looks like I need to track down a RB1 disc since I have an export key already. A few bucks for a replacement disc is worth it for 42 songs.

It's extraordinarily likely that what they're going to do is make PS4 versions, and have them be cross-buy with the PS3 versions, so owning the PS3 versions automatically makes the PS4 versions free in the store - you just have to navigate to the page and re-download. Same process probably goes for 360/Bone - I don't own a Bone, but from what I understand, that's the way it works for Dance Central Spotlight's DLC compatibility.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Orange Harrison posted:

Wait the Xbone is HDMI only? And doesn't even support interlacing?
How was this piece of junk NOT $200 right out the gate?

I'm pretty sure the PS4 doesn't either.

World's moving on. Composite and component are on their way out.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I mean, PS4 owners dug their own grave when they decided to purchase the PS4 but what could Harmonix do to allow 360 to PS4 support?

Literally nothing. It would require cooperation on the part of both Sony and Microsoft.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Orange Harrison posted:

Thanks. I should go buy them.

You can't - RBN is gone. :(

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Didn't someone mention earlier that there's a Xbox 360 drive explorer that isn't Party Buffalo that doesn't run into the file limit problem?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The way they're almost certainly doing it is introducing new ports of the old DLC content to the store that are cross-buy with the last-gen version of that DLC, like several games do already (moreso on Playstation than on Xbox, but it's happened on Xbox a few times now, I think) - but just leaving the songs they've lost the rights to delisted from the store, though still uploaded. That way, if you own the license on your account, you can still download the current-gen version, but you won't be able to buy it if you never had it. Which makes me REALLY upset they announced this right after they pulled the Silversun Pickups songs, since I am also a 360->PS4 child, but c'est la vie...

The real tragedy here is that I think every export key for the old games has expired now, so that's a MASSIVE chunk of songs you're going to be missing out on if you switched platforms this generation. I know Harmonix can't do anything about it, and I really don't blame them and appreciate the effort they're putting in, but GOD, that loving blows.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 6, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I'm glad those who want it are getting another Rock Band but complaints about releasing the same game over and over shouldn't be limited to CoD,

The last Rock Band game came out five years ago.

Where were you when Rock Band 2 was just "It's Rock Band! With better menus!"

Justify it by thinking that you're buying probably 50-ish songs for your collection for $60. Did you even loving play keys? Seriously, post your pro keys high scores if you're so adamant.

pksage posted:

This is my biggest issue with RB4, honestly, no 360/PS3 release.

If there were last-gen versions there'd be literally no reason to release Rock Band 4 and Cyberball's dumbfuck complaints would be actually valid.

Last gen is basically over. Cross-gen games are dying out, games that were once cross-gen in development are having their last-gen versions canceled (I seriously doubt the last-gen version of MKX will ever get released), last-gen game sales are dying at a surprisingly fast rate, and the new consoles are selling like gangbusters. The Xbox One is getting its poo poo trounced in every single market and it's still selling faster than either of the previous Xboxes, and the PS4's sales are on track to beat the original Wii. For a lot of people, their current-gen console has straight-up replaced their last-gen one, and literally the only reason I keep my 360 around is for... Rock Band. Goons can debate back and forth whether or not that's a good idea, but it's the truth.

Rock Band 4's entire idea is to consolidate the library onto a new generation so it can keep its status as a "platform." I'm not upset buying Rock Band 4 for the same reasons I wasn't upset about RB2 - it's basically a massive $60 DLC song bundle.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 19, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

farottone posted:

Why do people keep thinking that it's such an impossible feat to have users consume their content on different platforms? It's commonly done even in markets with entities probably *more* paranoid than Sony.

Name some then because I can think of approximately zero.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
That metaphor doesn't work because Amazon themselves specifically made a Kindle app for iOS. No such equivalent exists for the consoles. You're never going to see a Playstation app on Xbox.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

elf help book posted:

In a perfect world, Rock Band would be the app. But, it's not going to happen.

Well then we get into a semantic argument of whether consoles qualify as "computers" like PCs and phones do, which I'm pretty sure Sony and Microsoft want the answer to be "no."

w00tazn posted:

Doesn't Harmonix have its own account system where you could tell it your gamertag and it'd pull down your info. They could potentially tie that to your RB library to know what you do and don't own on a particular platform.

They'd then have to generate product keys for all the DLC on a new platform for you, and a) Sony and Microsoft are way more stingy with CD keys than, say, Valve are, and b) no way are they going to give out free copies of DLC for a purchase where their competitor got the 30% cut.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I can't imagine it to be much of a business thing because I've played a few games with this style of DLC sharing and none of them seem really much worse off for it.

How many of those had licensed music from major record labels that are notoriously stingy about consumers sharing with others?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

nonazis posted:

Has anyone here realized that if you took all the time you've spent playing rockband, and instead used it to learn a real instrument, you would probably be able to play an instrument by now?

No, I certainly didn't hear that five times a day in 2008.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Merijn posted:

It could probably work if the DLC was only downloaded for that session, and you couldn't later play it in single player or something (effectively sharing/pirating DLC), but the sizes are probably a bit too big for it to work.

Rock Band DLC is something like ten megabytes per song.

The music industry really is that stingy. If you didn't personally pay your $1.29 per song, the RIAA doesn't even want you hearing it, not even once.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah, QOTSA and Elvis are about as memey as it gets.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

cjg posted:

So if we don't make the jump to RB4, will any new DLC still be playable on RB3?

They're going to be entirely different consoles. Think for a second.

Don't pay attention to Abu Dave posts.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CRINDY posted:

I assume they'll keep an SKU with a 500GB HD and a game or two on the market for $349, which has been the entry-level price since... September, I wanna say? The bigger hard drive isn't vital unless you don't have an external, and they'd presumably want to stay a step ahead of Sony, so it makes sense.

They're discontinuing the 500GB SKU and letting stores sell out their stock while they push out the 1TB bundle. It's a way to capitalize on the sacrifice they made for market share back when PS4 was just absolutely stomping them* (greater loss per unit sold/500GB more disc drive space doesn't even cost $50 nowadays.)

*Not that they aren't now, just less so than before.

vvv It's almost like the game isn't out for another four months.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

Rocksmith was able to literally re-write and rechart the entire back content and resubmit it as the same content, why can't Harmonix, a bigger company then UbiSoft San Francisco is, do it?

Is Harmonix owned by as big of a company as Ubisoft?

Does Rocksmith have literally 2000+ songs?

Can you stop spewing dumb bullshit for like five seconds?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
e: whoops!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Kaboobi posted:

Breakneck on individual tracks at launch though :(

https://twitter.com/steve_janiak/status/626434721619251200

Oh God does this mean that one person on a lower difficulty is gonna cramp all the charts together like in RB2

because that poo poo is going to drive me loving nuts

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

pksage posted:

Looks like C3 will be pulling "A Passage to Bangkok" and "What's Up" shortly. It would be a shame if anyone who wanted those customs in RB3 before RB4's launch were to miss out on them. In the next, oh, sixty minutes or so.

Have you guys been pulling tracks pre-emptively? I could have sworn you had My God is the Sun up at one point, and that was down a good few weeks before they announced it at E3. I thought I was going crazy until it was announced as on-disc.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Have they ever gave official word on PS3 Instrument Compatibility with the PS4? That's my only hold up right now.

Yes, they're fully compatible.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Flipping out over The Impression That I Get right now, actually.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

So if they have to repackage all the DLC into current gen format, does that mean we'll still get repackaged DLC of songs that have been taken down for purchase because of license expiration?

They've said that if a song has been pulled from the store but you already own it, it will sill transfer over.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Is there any chance they'll make the tracks from the game exports available as DLC?

There is some chance but usually the rights are negotiated for a disc-based thing only and not as a downloadable thing, so the chances are somewhat small.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
RB4 is a hard sell to begin with. The main selling point of it is not features like RB3, but rather the mere fact of starting over - RB4 is aimed at a demographic of people who have put their last gen consoles in the closet and don't plan on getting them back out again. Not to say the disappointment isn't justified, but this thread seems to have a problem with understanding that that is a way bigger demographic than you think. The current generation is selling like hot cakes. The Xbox One is selling HALF as much as the PS4 and it's still selling better than the 360 at the same point in its lifetime. The PS4 is on track to sell as well as if not better than the original Wii. It's absolutely insane, and don't let Michael Pachter and his "THIS COULD POSSIBLY BE THE LAST CONSOLE GENERATION!" bullshit convince you otherwise.

Harmonix seems to be selling the game based off of the mere selling point of "all that stuff you had last time around, now on the computer box you actually play." I mean, I view it the same way as Bayonetta 2 - it was either this, or not getting made at all.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Here it is.

gently caress you, Harmonix. My keyboard is useless today. My Alesis DM-6 is unusable for RB4. My pro guitar Squier is no longer supported. I can't even practice the new songs you're releasing? And you think it's alright to charge money for poo poo that was in Rock Band 3?

gently caress you. Eyes, ears, nose, and throat.

Man remember that time you told me to shut up and be excited for a new Saints Row game despite my dismay that SR3 removed half the game? That seems pretty funny in retrospect.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

This company has made enough money in the past through lawsuits etc. It's just laziness or a excuse for the missing features so they could beat Guitar Hero live to market.

Do you not understand how lawsuits/business/capitalism/money works

ps please define what you mean by "etc"

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Orange Harrison posted:

...the only way any RBN track can come to RB4 is by relicencing the entire thing from the artist as official DLC.

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Except for the Harmonix songs from RBN that were made part of the pre-order bonus?

So... you're wrong?

I thought you were better than that, Gaspar.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Gaspar Lewis posted:

He edited it.

Well don't I look great.

Gaspar Lewis posted:

All the songs that aren't showing up in the new stores are probably going to come later in some other batch. None of the disc exports are there yet, either, and the systems are still barfing up a bunch of outliers and errors based on discontinued packs, pulled songs, and whatever else.

Look: poo poo sucks. It sucks! It's not great, and there's a lot of reasons to complain and gripe and ask Harmonix people what the heck is going on, but unless they say definitively from an official source in language that can't be taken any other way that something is a lost cause, there's a chance it can get fixed or it's a known error with repairs already underway. If something's hosed, mention it and see if it's going get fixed before yelling about betrayal and impossibilities. I can get behind thinking Harmonix might not fully know what they're doing this time around, but being absolutely certain about what they're doing on top of that just makes you a shithead.

Yeah, RBN songs aren't going to fully come over, and definitely not at launch except maybe the HMX ones in the pre-order. That sucks! Maybe they'll relicense the ones the paid to bring over to PS3. Maybe not. They said they're trying and they know. Keep asking them for updates and making it clear you want them back! But take it as it comes.

Maybe not owning the game yet is helping give me some perspective. This is more than I've typed in years.

Yeah, at this point I feel the same way about RB4 as I did Bayonetta 2, which is to say "it was either this or nothing else." The fact that Rock Band 4 even exists at this point is kind of a miracle, but all the concessions are rightfully making people question if it was even worth doing in the first place. I'm sure the fact that they ran right into Activision deciding this would be a great time for a new Guitar Hero certainly doesn't help matters.

"That game you liked but on the box that's under your TV now and not shoved into the closet/sold to Gamestop" is almost the only selling point this game has left. I can't fault people for looking at that and deciding that sticking with RB3 is the better choice, especially when this thread makes it seem like a large chunk, if not the majority, of goons still haven't upgraded to current-gen. ...That doesn't mean you can be insane like Abu Dave tho

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Please stop making weird conspiracy stories about Harmonix based on their marketing Twitter account.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Are people legitimately assuming that pictures of an office party* for a product launch means that they're doing zero work on issues whatsoever? I have very bad news for you if you ever plan to get into, like... any white-collar job.

I mean, I know taking a picture and putting it on the Internet is a Herculean task in 2015.

*defining "party" as "there's waffles and paper plates in the break room guys"

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Midnightghoul posted:

I don't think people are angry at the office party, it's more that we know more about the waffle party than the status of fixing broken parts of the game and what features will be updated.

We've already seen them working with users like Kaboobi trying to figure out which DLC isn't working. They started the first steps of fixing the problem before the game even came out this morning, often using those exact same social media methods - but nobody posts about those in here, let's poo poo on their tiny waffle party instead. Don't get me wrong, RB4 is a disappointing package and I totally understand not being satisfied with RB4 offered, but there's a difference between that and being so BEYOND petty that you trawl an advertising Twitter account desperate for evidence to support your narrative that Hamdix is loving us again.

Beelzebozo posted:

Nope. You're the only one who took that seriously. I meant it as a joke, and everyone else seems to have taken it as such.

I find this astoundingly hard to believe given that your previous post was about speculating their sales numbers based on the tone of their Twitter posts.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 6, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

parasyte posted:

Let's be fair, though: a waffle party is probably the lamest thing they could do to celebrate

True, but Harmonix is not a company with much money. I believe they are a company with negative money.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Beelzebozo posted:

The gently caress? :raise: Which post was that?
The quality of the game, not sales, but still:

Beelzebozo posted:

Is it just me, or does the phrase, "thanks for always sticking with us" in this tweet read like, "yo this poo poo is pretty hosed and you guys are all about to be hella disappointed, but just try to remember how much you love us and give us a few months to sort it out, k?"

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

M3wThr33 posted:

Also, not that these complaints aren't justified, but the critical reactions here are a far cry from the custom-RB3 days when the RB thread was full of those saying HMX could do no wrong... what happened to those folks? (IE: The ones that bought my avatar.)

They're capable of critical thinking and not holding weird decade-long grudges.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Centuries isn't nearly as terrible as Uma Thurman, the worst song I've heard in a while from a band I already hate.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Hmm...

You know what, I think I'm gonna skip this one and pick up Rock Band 5.

You're gonna be waiting a while, Rock Band 4 is planned to be the only "platform game" this generation that they just continually update. Good luck convincing your publisher to fund massive free content updates for an old game, unless you're literally Valve.

When was the last time online multiplayer was "patched into" an old game? Literally the only instances I can think of are that Scott Pilgrim tie-in game, and Just Cause 2 (though I don't think a fan-made mod really counts.)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I think the only way to make the thread worse at this point is for Methodis to re-reg.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

I tried to buy this game today but Wal-Mart got 0 copies and so did GameStop. No one wants band bundles anymore.

I played GH Live though today and it is awesome and actually innovative.

You are mentally ill.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

of course you need the stupid dongle, and you can't use any random dongle it has to be the rock band one UGH.

Why did you buy a game you knew you were going to hate from a company you didn't want to support?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Yarrington posted:

Reasonable response to someone enjoying a video game.

I do not believe it is unfair to call someone crazy when they seek out and eventually successfully purchase a game they do nothing but poo poo-talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Well, you're crazy.
Doesn't mean I don't love you though.