Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Gonna quote myself from the last thread and say that losing keys really, really sucks. Queen, Billy Joel, The Doors, a lot of songs worked incredibly well with keys. Yeah, it sucked when you picked random and got to hit one button for a whole song, but it still added to the song and made it feel fuller, and it honestly kicked rear end when it wanted to.

Here's hoping they have RB3/RB4 releases for DLC. Probably not gonna happen, though, but I can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Good thing we didn't? If RB4 is the platform they really want it to be, there's no reason they couldn't patch in keys and pro mode. They are making concessions to get the game out this year.

Well it's not gonna be in the game at launch, and we have no guarantee that they'll patch it in later. So yeah, out the gate, we'll have no keys support, unless people get really vocal about it now and convince them to include it in the game.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DancinBrud posted:

It surprises me how few people in this thread seem to have current-gen consoles.

I dunno about you, but I usually can't justify dropping the cash for a new console unless it has at least five games worth playing on it. So far I have about 10 for my WiiU so I'm pretty happy with that, but everything that would have made me consider a Xbone/PS4 has also been released on PC, so right now, Rock Band 4 is literally the only reason I would buy either console.

Crayfish posted:

I hope Harmonix fired/killed whoever made the decision to lock certain clothing items behind doing pro goals.

Oh my god, yes. Stupidest decision they ever made, the way money worked in RB2 was fine! Why just drop it entirely?! Why lock loving shirts behind ownership, and mastery, of expensive and rare instruments!?! What's the point!?!?

.... actually, is there a save file I could dupe into my game that would unlock everything? A lot of work has been done to get customs working nearly as well as official DLC, but has anything been done with save file manipulation? I know I would love to have all the options available to me when playing rockstar dressup.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Spoeank posted:

Dashboard is the perfect Rock Band song gimme gimme gimme :argh:

Released like a year ago, catch up on your C3

E:f;b

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The most common cause for disappearing songs, for me, is the song cache simply not reading them. I used to think they were corrupt files, but now I'm bundling packs of songs together and still missing random songs despite them being part of one big file with twenty other songs that show up just fine. Deleting and rebuilding the song cache works for some songs but then causes others to disappear. It's bizarre.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Minidust posted:

What exactly is meant by this? It's the second time I've seen that particular verbiage, so I'm curious. I'm not sure what it implies for a game series with no storyline.

Gameplay wise, Rock Band 3 was a clear step up, what with being able to support up to 7 people bands and have pro instruments and all that, but aesthetically, they're a lot of changes to how the game looks, character customization was completely gutted and rebuilt from the ground up, the animations were gutted and replaced but only like half of them, the UI was spruced up, and while a lot of these changes are basically unnoticeable if you don't pay attention, there are a bunch that kinda ticked people off.

Like, one example would be when sorting songs by band name, all band names are in all caps now, whereas in Rock Band 2 they just capitalized the first letter unless the band name was supposed to be all caps. An incredibly minor change that a causal fan wouldn't notice, but for hardcore fans it drives them nuts.

The biggest example would be career mode, which is completely different, and the removal of versus mode, which was honestly the only way I played online at all so I was sad to see that go.

EDIT: Also, RB3 has graphical glitches up the wazoo, with guitars and basses wobbling erratically on closeups, the mic shaking like mad if the singer doesn't hold it, and I think even on the latest patch, if you start a song in the open arena stadium you'll see the fencing hovering over the crowd for a couple seconds before it finishes loading. Also before TU5, some combinations of songs will just outright crash the game.

Also also, the music video stuff just outright looks better in RB2, which is a shame because music video mode is the only way to play with All Instruments.

ALSO ALSO ALSO you didn't need to push the button to have the next song in a setlist play, so if you were at a party and nobody wanted to play you could turn on no fail + vocals and load up some party songs to dance to until somebody felt like playing again.

ALSO because setlists didn't pause Endless Setlist was a real beast of a mode that required a full day of playing and is easily the most demanding thing I've ever done in a game, but RB3's like whatever, just take a break after every other song, no pressure, go have dinner or something it's cool, I'll be waiting when you get back. Also I don't think you actually get anything by beating it in RB3, which is bullshit.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 10, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

King of the Cosmos posted:

So all these announcements have re-ignited my interest in Rock Band. I used to have some excellent YouTube channels saved that would have Pro Drums videos on there with picture-in-picture of the guy playing synced up correctly with the music and the in-game track. Does anyone have a channel they view these on? Since I am without drums for a while longer I'd like to find it again.

Dreyvas posted:

This dude comes to mind immediately.

Yeah, he's pretty much the best drummer in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RtBAjOMiGI

Naturally, he's got tons of stupid hard metal songs up, but he's also got plenty of just fantastic rock songs that are also surprisingly hard. Not many pro drums videos, though.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Harrison posted:

Meanwhile they never fixed the vocals bug that actually makes you score LESS points for using overdrive in a band. Hopefully that's no longer a thing in RB4.

I was not aware of this. How would that even work? It's a multiplier, double points or more, very straightforward, is it calculating the score differently by being in a band? What's even the point?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fistful of Silence posted:

For reasons that this interview from a couple of years ago talks about, I don't think we'll ever see Muse or G'N'R in Rock Band (as farottone has basically already said).

I remember a forum post from around when Rock Band DLC ended, by either Drake or Chris, that basically said Muse just didn't bother answering them when they requested more songs.

For G'N'R, well, blame Guitar Hero. Slash was put on their box, and he played Welcome to the Jungle in the game, and naturally when Axl found out he threw a shitfit because that implied Slash was still a member of G'N'R. I believe that happened after we'd already gotten the one song on disc for RB2 and the new album as DLC, and it pretty much killed any potential new songs from them, which really sucked cause most of the guys who gave us full albums also gave use really good singles and packs later on. (excluding Pixies, for whatever reason)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

losonti tokash posted:

I think your timeline is a bit off. That happened in Guitar Hero 3, which came out a month before Rock Band 1 did, let alone 2. Chinese Democracy became DLC for RB in April 2009 which is like a year and a half later.

Oh, yeah, I worded that wrong. Axl found out about GH3 using Slash after Chinese Democracy was released. Presumably he didn't know about it before the DLC was released.

It was about the time pretty much every band GH used decided to sue them, like No Doubt got pissed at them and I think so did Courtney Love? It was kind of a clusterfuck for a bit there.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
We have Back to the Shack as DLC already.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

timp posted:

Now it's time for everyone in this thread to list all the TV themes they want to see,

Law and Order
X-Files
Mission: Impossible
That 70's Show
Scrubs
Mother loving Pokemon
Pretty much everything from Slings and Arrows

Fresh Prince of Bel-Air :v:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

This already exists though? Like, I have it in my Rock Band.

There are several customs of it floating around, yeah, but I have yet to play one that isn't terrible in one way or another, either the sound quality is poo poo or they over/underchart the instruments.

canoshiz posted:

He's a real stupid rear end in a top hat, sullying Kurt's legacy like that.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure Kurt would have found that video funny. He was the guy who said one of the greatest honours in his career was getting covered by Weird Al.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So what's the over/under on Rock Band Harmonies being finished before RB4 comes out?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

pksage posted:

C3 custom song releases for April 1, 2015:
  • Focus - "Hocus Pocus (Live)" (pksage)

pksage you're THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Abu Dave posted:

We never got any Genesis which is sad.

Yeah, okay

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 3, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That's not very fair, RBN had Even Rats by The Slip and Bohemian Like You, though I'm a bit salty that song was double the normal price and had the drums all up on the cymbals. Lazy!!

It's not laziness so much as RBN1 didn't have cymbal support until after RB3 was announced, so there are a smattering of early RBN songs that don't have proper pro-drum support, and due to the way releases were handled there was no easy way to update songs to include pro-drum support unless they just re-released the song. (which more than a few songs did, along with harmonies and keys)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

pksage posted:

Can confirm, I got a sick royalty check of like $25 last year. :c00lbert:

you're welcome

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Things that would get me to play a new Guitar Hero:

- Doesn't look like rear end
- Doesn't control like rear end
- Has a decent setlist
- Doesn't force me to buy more plastic guitars to play it

I have low standards and I don't expect a new Guitar Hero to clear them.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Things that would get me to play a new Guitar Hero:

- Doesn't look like rear end
- Doesn't control like rear end
- Has a decent setlist
- Doesn't force me to buy more plastic guitars to play it

I have low standards and I don't expect a new Guitar Hero to clear them.

Standards not cleared. Surprise! :v:

My Lovely Horse posted:

From a technical standpoint I'd be interested to know how they manage transitions between crowd states without creating the impression of jump cuts. Most likely whenever the reaction level changes, the POV moves towards another element. The crowd cheers, you gently caress up the solo, you look towards the singer who gives you the finger and then back to the crowd who are now throwing cups, and so on.

The Giantbomb video posted earlier is a straight-up gameplay demo and it looks like they're way more clumsy than that, the screen blurs out to the booing crowd when you gently caress up too much and then blurs back to the cheering crowd when you're doing good and it's super obvious when it happens. They aren't even different shots, so if you're looking at the drummer he'll wink if you doing good but then blur out to looking at your weird when you're loving up. So it looks like they shot each song two times (possibly more) using the same blocking each time only changing if the crowd and band are cheering or booing you.

squirreltactic posted:

I'm interested to know from a technical standpoint how much they are really saving on resources by recording all of this FMV garbage for every song. It seems needlessly complicated.

It probably is cheaper than full on next gen graphics, and at the very least it's definitely faster. Since each video is only 3 to 5 minutes depending on the song, let's say 5 minutes, they can do about three to six takes for a five minute song in an hour depending on how complex the choreography is and how long it'd take to reset the stage. After a four hour day, three takes per hour, that's twelve takes, split that up between "booing" and "cheering" and if there's no super obvious screwups (like, that guy in the crowd with the yellow hat is missing from one take so throw that out, the drums fell apart because they weren't setup right so scratch that) that's one song's video done. With a fifty song setlist that's about two-three months worth of filming. Proper planning and simultaneous filming locations would make that even faster.

If Activision had no plans to make Guitar Hero until a week after HMX announced a new Rock Band, which was about six weeks ago, then decided they needed to release a new Guitar Hero this fall, then I don't really see how they'd do that without doing something incredibly cheap, and an FMV game would be a hellva lot cheaper and faster to make than an entirely new graphics engine.

Rastor posted:

Also I assume the FMV is per arena, not per song.

That's kinda impossible, since you need your drummer to play the right song, you need to have the right number of guitarists/vocalists, and if one song is three minutes you can't use that footage for a five minute song and vis-versa since you need to have the crowd to cheer at the end. Given that the gameplay demo we saw looks like they're using one unbroken shot, they need to record a live video for every individual song.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 14, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Astro7x posted:

They they shot the crowd twice with a motion control rig, so they could seamlessly go back and forth between the crowd cheering or booing.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/another-level-of-guitar-hero-live/2300-10110/

It also seems like they do have stems, and using them for more than just missing notes; you can hear the drums get louder when you're closer to the drummer, the chorus gets a boost cause you're beside the singer, some of the crowd sings along with you, that's all kinda neat.

Abu Dave posted:

Guitar Hero has been in the works for a year or two, hell it prob predated any thought of RB4. I don't get where people think Activision did this as soon as Harmonix announced RB4.

Because Activision = EVIL and also lazy. :v:

But yeah the fact that they have a demo the press for the press to play around with shows that they've had this baking for a while already. It's that they only felt like telling the public about the game immediately after HMX said Rock Band 4 that's making people think "god, way to chase after trends and kill the genre again, Activsion" :rolleyes:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Allen Wren posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvCBSSwgtg4

loving kill me now, it's these assholes.

I have no idea why but this song always makes me think of Sweet Home for the NES. Which is probably why it makes my skin crawl when I hear it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Merijn posted:

Didn't see this posted here yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mll2io3JVrI

Some more confirmations, but not much new stuff as far as I can tell.

There are still 100k people playing every month? :psyduck:

That is WAY more people than I was expecting. Like, I thought the playerbase by this point would be in the 10k range and shrinking.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Still doesn't amount to more than 1% of Rock Band's total available library. Sucks for people who are coming late to the game, but there's still a huge variety of music to choose from.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ixnay posted:

Actual gameplay/soundtrack news for RB4 is coming this month, with the WORLD GAMEPLAY PREMIERE two weeks from today

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/01/rock-band-4-everything-you-need-to-know-ign-first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6A6pMO_WKM

I'm actually shocked I couldn't find this as a custom already.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Steve2911 posted:

While I like the idea of using pre-recorded and tailored fills for drum star-power, I hope there's at least the option to go back to making your own ones up. I always enjoyed the 3 second window of improvisation, trying to make something up that fits in with the song. It'll be a shame if that's gone completely.

I really hope they let you keep playing the original song, with just the green gem to use overdrive. I have basically zero imagination but love that feeling you get when a bastard of a drum fill comes up and you nail it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Harrison posted:

What's a "360"? The only things currently plugged into my TV are a PS2, a VCR, a Smash Brothers Adapter and a Rock Band Adaptor.

:lol: Hey grandpa you need to upgrade man everybody's already moved onto HD-DVD's

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Merijn posted:

Can you unhook it and place it freely?

I just got rid of the bottom rung so I could move it wherever it's most comfortable. Then I threw out the one they shipped with the drums and used a third-party pedal.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ixnay posted:

edit: also lol at the people in the comments that are like "RB4 will have All Along the Watchtower and Cult of Personality? I am totally getting this now"

Well they aren't wrong. Not right, but not wrong.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Watching the gameplay video right now.

They changed the gem hits from gems breaking apart to gems going up in sparks.

Hype dead. Game ruined. Long live Rock Band 3.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Kinda hard to take the platform thing seriously when you're on numbered game 4 which is closer to 8 or 9? in the series.

8 or 9? I counted at most 3 numbered games and 3 spinoffs, so now 4 would be like 7.

And the "platform thing" is still true, since all the songs from all the previous games will be playable in the new game. Though hopefully this time they'll actually have the foresight to design the game as such that, if the demand is there, they can put keys back in, or add more features to the base game rather than release a new game.

Frankly I'm holding on until they release career mode details before making GBS threads all over it. :v:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You know, thinking about it a bit, I do think that having a kind of voting system in place for setlists does seem like something I'd put to pretty through use, at least enough to justify another purchase.

I can think of at least a couple of Rock Band nights that died due to my not having a pre-planned setlist and people having no idea what music I had, what music they'd even be interested in playing, and no real interest in scrolling for minutes at a time past unfamiliar names until they just kinda settle on one song to play, but whoops I hadn't made a setlist so we play that one song, it was actually a boring choice but nobody wants to quit out of a song, and then it's back to scrolling for stuff and that kills basically any interest in the game right there.

So it's either have preset setlists all the time, which gets boring for me, or random setlists, which can get boring for them.

I think a voting system can work really well if done right. It takes out a lot of the endless scrolling and guesswork on what would be fun vs what people know, and still has people contributing to choosing the next song. No filler, no guesswork, no bickering, and being able to change difficulties without pausing the game is also a godsend.

On the other hand, if you just play by yourself this is pretty much a useless feature... and if you're playing online I hope to god they don't end the song when somebody drops out because the group voted for a song they don't like.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Abu Dave posted:

Except for the nasty rumor that you can't use your old 360 hardware on a Bone because of Microsoft being a dick, otherwise I would.

Then wait till the game's released so we have a firmer grasp on what works and how.

I really, really don't want to buy an Xbone as well because I'd just upgraded my PC and the only console exclusives that even exist anymore are on WiiU and around once a year on PS4. That and I'm pretty sure the Kinect wants to steal my soul.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

w00tazn posted:

Wouldn't they also have to remaster the dlc for RB4?

No, since we got a peak during one of the IGN news things at how they're building charts for the new game, and it's exactly the same as the old game with some new stuff added on top. Like, they were using PKsage's site as a resource and everything. So at the very least, porting the old DLC over will not be as time consuming as rebuilding it all from scratch.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
They only ever did RB3 Versions for a sampling of Queen and Bon Jovi songs, plus some RBN songs. And I can't think of any given situation where the RB3 version wasn't the better version, not just because they added keys/harmonies but also because they redid the soundmixing and redid the charts, like with Dead or Alive they actually added in that drum roll at the start that was only a single snare hit in RB1, and I want to say it's either I Want It All or I Want To Break Free that has the better guitar charting than the original release.

Frankly I can't see how anyone can play the original release of Under Pressure without harmonies and keys. That's like the goto song for parties that have people interested in either feature.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Gaspar Lewis posted:

If the people I played with didn't get RB3 versions, why would I? It was in the collective interest to line up versions whenever you could, since that determined which songs you could actually play.

I could see where it's a problem online, so I guess that's why it's not a huge concern for me since I only ever dueled while online, and they ditched that feature in RB3 so I subsequently stopped playing online.

But when you're playing with people in the same room you absolutely want to have RB3 versions so they can have fun with them.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, okay, not quite ready to get a third drumset... but I'm tempted.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CzarChasm posted:

But, (and I'm putting on my old man hat here) what songs would be included that would get the next gen of players on board? Taylor Swift? Bruno Mars? One Direction? I'm asking seriously. I'm happy with the breadth and width of the songs available through the catalog. It has a lot of what I want. But what I like and want is almost certainly not what someone half my age wants.

To be perfectly honest, this has never, ever been a problem for either series' popularity. GH1 had lots of classic rock and metal and teenagers still loved it, hell I remember it was my younger sister who had bought the game and I only got interested in it because I had finished EBA and had a rhythm game itch to scratch.To put this into perspective, she had most of her walls covered in Hannah Montana posters at the time, yet she was getting just as into playing Iron Man as anyone else would.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Solos are the most fun thing to play so I'm pretty sure I'm not even gonna use this feature once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Who's brilliant loving idea was it to have the note you're holding show up ingame to block what you're seeing?

Why do both games have terrible note highways now? Guitar Hero has this weird hologram thing in the middle of the screen, no idea why they think they need that and like I said, it blocks what notes you can see and that's horrible, and Rock Band 4's looks super bad, like I didn't bring it up when it was called Pre-Alpha Footage, but as time goes on and we see more songs but no redesigned UI it keeps looking worse and worse. Considering that 99% of the gameplay is spent staring at the notes coming at you, you'd think they'd make more than a token effort to make them look good.

Gems Don't Explode When You Hit The Right Note And That's Bullshit