Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

After I got that survey, I tweeted at @rockband telling 'em there was no choice for "I'm waiting for a digital download pre-order". Five days later there's a digital download pre-order. I'm not saying that's why or anything, but I'd be very surprised if I was the only one that had said anything. Too bad the only song of the pre-order pack I really want is The Reflex, but then again... The Reflex!!!

We've played Rock Band fitfully over the last few years; we still have a complete set of instruments and they all work. I find myself really looking forward to the new game. Gotta get my voice back in shape, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Chill Penguin posted:

How are the new instruments looking for RB4? Are you guys planning on getting them, or are you guys mostly planning on trying to use older stuff? I haven't played any of these games since the boom, back in like 2007-08.

I need a new guitar -- my Beatles guitar is still in pretty good shape, but the original RB2 Strat is really beat, and both have limp whammy bars. More than that, though, I wanted to get a digital download copy of RB4 so I don't have to gently caress with switching games in and out of the PS4, so I can wait until there are stand-alone packages.

That reminds me: I need to get some drumsticks. I have the drums, pedal and the drum dongle, but the sticks have disappeared. Anything I should know about what to get or not to get?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Well, I'm hoping someone can help. I dug out my old PS3 drum kit and bought some new sticks, but I am having a problem where the drums fitfully lose connection during songs. The game doesn't stop, but the lights on the drum kit and on the dongle blink for a second or two and then come back online. I'm no great shakes at drums, not at all, but this makes it a bit impossible to play. I remember having this issue with the drums way back when, and I solved it then by folding up some paper and putting it on the inside of the battery door to press down on the batteries some more, but that doesn't seem to have helped this time.

Anything else I can try?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The packs aren't working. In fact, the packs are so screwed up on PS4 I can't even download the digital pre-order bonus songs. (I wanted to sing "The Reflex" before finally going to bed, dammit!) For regular DLC I bought in packs, I just get "..." as the purchase/installation status and can't do anything with them.

Also, there doesn't seem to be any way to get RB4 to download a track that's set to "Purchased". I missed moving over to the download button for a couple of tracks and now I'll have to do those one by one from the store.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Orange Harrison posted:

I too came here to ask about Jane.

She's gone away to Spain.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

farottone posted:

Yeah but audio lag is not a calibration issue. Audio lag is about, as you hinted at, sound compression and processing. You can play with calibration numbers until you're blue in the face and nothing will change, so if the game actually does a poor job at processing, I'm not sure how it can be addressed without a patch. Also, at this point I'm very curious if people are experiencing lag just going straight to the TV with no receiver in between. If they do, clearly nobody who ever reviewed the game, from the Road Crew or not, has played any freestyle section with a critical mindset.

I do not have a receiver; the PS4 is plugged directly into the TV via HDMI. I was having a lot of trouble singing, even after calibrating multiple times, and finally figured out that it was the delay on the vox being played back by the game. ("Speech jammers" work on the same principle -- your brain gets confused if you hear yourself on a slight delay, and it makes you slow down and speak weird. I guess I was having my singing jammed!) I turned Mic 1 volume all the way down, and I could actually sing.

The calibration numbers are crazy high, and I sure as hell wish the auto-calibration with the guitar worked because it still seems slightly off, but the game is very playable at this point.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

zimbomonkey posted:

In my experience, pressing purchase options never shows a bundle anyway. It just goes to a screen and shows you that song by itself for 1.99

"Purchase Options" shows the individual songs in a pack when you are browsing by pack, but nothing useful when you are browsing by song. For some packs I had that were stuck with "..." on the store menu, I could go into them and see why (mostly because I only owned one or two of the tracks in a pack, but a couple of times I was able to download songs individually that I couldn't get as a pack).

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Devorum posted:

Confirmed Blitz songs are in.

I don't know... I can see them in my "Add Ons" for RB4, and I have them downloaded and installed -- but none of them show in the song list, even after rebuilding the cache.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

pksage posted:

65, but yeah. I've only played a small portion of the setlist, but the only stinkers so far are Centuries and the Mumford and Sons song.

I was playing some random songs on bass earlier, and Centuries came up... I was startled out of a bass streak by the sudden appearance of Tom's Diner. Totally out of left field. And goddamn, that reminds me how much we need some Suzanne Vega in Rock Band.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

flakeloaf posted:

I was very happy to learn that the RB4 guitar has both a mic and a photosensor in it so you can calibrate it without tapping a button to the beat for what seems like an eternity. The only downside is that the video calibration process is probably really unkind to people with epilepsy.

My RB2 Stratocaster and Beatles Gretsch both have these. Of course, they don't work with Rock Band 4... sigh...

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Daveski posted:

They finally fixed the Queen Pack on PS4, not sure if that means other packs are fixed too because that's the only one I had with issues. Might be worth checking if you had some broken DLC.

The tracks downloaded, and say they are installed in the notifications, but the six that wouldn't come down before still don't show up in the music library, even after rebuilding the song cache.

Sigh.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Daveski posted:

I'm able to see and play them just fine - maybe try closing the game completely and starting it up again?

Nope, they're still MIA. The add-on count in the library is 7 higher than what's shown in the game when I refresh the cache; maybe that has something to do with it. Who knows. I've just resent them using the download list in the web version of the store. Maybe that will do something.

In other oddness nobody has mentioned yet -- is anyone else having trouble with tambourine sections? A lot of times it seems like the animation for hitting the beats aren't aligned with how I'm tapping, and the sound of the tambourine drops in and out in a very weird way...

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

atholbrose posted:

Nope, they're still MIA. The add-on count in the library is 7 higher than what's shown in the game when I refresh the cache; maybe that has something to do with it. Who knows. I've just resent them using the download list in the web version of the store. Maybe that will do something.

In case anyone else is having an issue, that did do something -- the songs showed up. Now my count inside of Rock Band is 444 add-ons, and the count in the library is 445. I have no idea how to figure out what song that is...

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Well, the patch is up for PS4. Didn't really have the chance to do much, but I did autocalibrate with a Beatles Gretsch, so at least that made it in.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

OptimusWang posted:

So is there a way to turn off the mic playback completely? I want to say we did this in the other RB games too but I don't see a setting for it.

It's in the mid-song pause menu.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The update is 3.8GB on the PS4. Whee.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Hey, as long as we're trading handles, please add rdominick on PSN. I'd love some people to compare scores against.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Zerot posted:

Can you use the website to queue up tracks for download?

Yes, yes you can, thankfully.

Man, I forgot how many good songs were in that setlist.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The fine-print description of the PS4 RB3 export says something like "By buying this pack, you warrant that you own a physical copy of Rock Band 3", which makes me wonder if there is a check...

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I said the worst part of online play was joining a pick-up group as a vocalist only to have the other three players, all in the same room, pick a setlist of 12 metal songs and then play at a difficulty level too high for them and bitch when you can't bail them out all the time. This would seem an oddly specific comment, but it happened waaaaaaaay too often for me.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The tracks are downloading now. Won't get to play for a few days because of this cold, grr.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The loving shortcuts when sorting by band name listing every single band is a Bad Thing.

And see, I love it. When I sort by band name it's because I want to find a specific band, not sort through the huge pile of Ss or whatever.

I've seen other people say the same thing, though, which just means we need to have two sorts -- one by Band Name, and one Alphabetical.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Was hoping for another Valentine's themed week but they still have yet to top the very first duets pack.

This is a Valentine's-themed week. Well, maybe not the masaya matsura track, but definitely the rest. The DLC announcement has all the song names on a big paper heart...

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I know it's a Valentine's week, I said I was hoping for it, and I got it! I just think the very first Valentine's themed DLC they did was the best one.

Ah, I misread that. I'm partial to the year they released all those Valentine's duets.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Aw man, PS4 at some unspecified point in the future, but "probably" not as long as Xbox had to wait for the RB1 export, and not both at the same time. I'm really looking forward to some of those RB2 songs! Overall, my favorite setlist.

Well, I guess it's our turn to wait.

I had a bunch of reward points on a card, Amazon had the guitar bundle on sale and I was tired of waiting for standalone guitars. $32 was too good a deal to pass up. I even dug a bluetooth transponder out of the closet so I can do the firmware update. It arrives tomorrow...

atholbrose fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 11, 2016

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Awesome, more country music. I'm not a huge country fan by any stretch, but it's a very fun genre for Rock Band, and I've found quite a few singers and bands I still listen to through the track packs and DLC.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Kaboobi posted:

edit edit: "Regarding entitlements, this pack is brand new and exported or DLC content entitlements won't carry forward for this pack. "

I was all ready to post an angry comment about this, but then saw that HMX had posted a statement to their forums saying that entitlements for songs we already own out of this pack will come eventually, just not as part of this pack, probably after the exports are fixed. Which is good, because I really want A Jagged Gorgeous Winter in RB4.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The Lego Rock Band export is now up for PS4 in the US. It's downloading to my console right now -- not that I'm going to play RB4 at 2am all by myself, but, well, progress! Hey! Maybe the RB2 one is coming soon as well!

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Well I guess that's one thing you've got.

GodDAMN sometimes I wish SA had a "like" button.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The Rock Band 2 export is available on the US PSN store:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/rock-band-2-export-pack/cid=UP8802-CUSA02084_00-RBRB2EXPOCCF0002

All downloaded and installed here, though we won't have a chance to play until later tonight.

I hadn't seen it mentioned here, so I thought I would.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The Rock Band Twenty Free Track Pack is up on SCEA.

Too bad most of the songs I'm really waiting for that aren't out yet are from the Rock Band Free Pack 01. Sigh.

Edit: Oh, apparently, the AC/DC export is up too.

atholbrose fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 29, 2016

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Sir Tonk posted:

gently caress, All For You is that song

All this time I thought that was a Counting Crows song.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Beelzebozo posted:

I dislike all three of these bands, and yet I'll probably still download this as a $6 vote for metal in Rock Band. :sigh:

I've always been curious about posts like these, from folks who feel like their preferred music is underrepresented in Rock Band. I'm not picking on your post specifically, Beelzebozo, it just made me go and look at the numbers.

According to a search at DLCQuickplay, 310 metal songs have been released as DLC for Rock Band. That's 16% of the total DLC. That's more than alternative (252), classic rock (270), or pop-rock (187). If you remove "nu-metal" songs from the list, that's 238 songs, which is still pretty good as part of genre parity.

And yeah, I'm aware that the genre tagging in Rock Band is not as, well, robust as it might be, but this just bears out what my impression has been all along: for the major popular types of music, it's fairly even, with a smattering of other things thrown in.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Goddammit, I had never heard that stupid Handclap song before Harmonix's stream this week, and now I keep hearing it everywhere.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Will Rivals let me make a non-stick figure character? I want my fat bass player back.

I may have just missed it, but I have not seen anything to indicate that Rivals has any more customization options.

Dammit, a guy who wears that cheeseburger shirt should not be stick-thin.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

OK, I just don't have enough energy to sift through the Harmonix rivals forum to find a group, so here goes: anyone here interested in a nice, laid-back "whatever" kind of crew on PS4? Or got one going you need a pretty decent vocalist/bassist for?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Ice To Meet You posted:

I made one this morning if nobody else has yet.

I was just checking to see if anyone else had before making one. Send me an invite! My PSN id is rdominick.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Astro7x posted:

So is there a casual RB4 PS4 group around here? I probably won't be playing it to be highly competitive, would be nice to just have a group with some goons to use the feature

Right now there's only two of us in Team Normals, so we're pretty non-competitive by default.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

flakeloaf posted:

I fink you're onto something.

And your avatar makes me want Pinball Number Count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

King Burgundy posted:

This is going to be the best week.

If this means the weekly challenge is "The 80s", well... I am even happier.