Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pros of this game:

+ new consoles
+ new songs
+ a usage for the $129 xbone I bought
+ no personal attachment to previous RB songs because they're just songs and this is just a game
+ aggravating the autists/poors in this thread
+ months until it releases which only prolongs the aggravation

Cons:
???

I'm pretty excited about a modest cost to enjoy a new RB with friends. Enjoying how upset the whole thing is going to make others is icing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Minidust posted:

Well this is a case where the songs are the game, more or less. It's way different than people saying "I'm stoked for a Crazy Taxi remake but only if that Offspring song is in it!"

There are millions of songs and if a song i like isn't included in rock band 4 then I will move on and find other songs that I like.

And if I paid for that song previous welp I guess it's like a jukebox that finally stopped letting me re play songs for free.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

pksage posted:

No, like...you don't own the DLC as it comes out, your subscription would give you access to the whole catalog. You could buy songs to own forever, or instead pay the $20/month to get access to the full catalog as long as your sub is active. I could still see people griping about new releases, but with the legacy catalog included, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

The licensing of masters is not set up that way for their previous agreements. There is no rate or Permission for a streaming version, only perm downloads. And I can tell you the accounting isn't either as it flows through the statements from the actual store (Xbl/psn) which tracks downloads. Again, not sure if hmx could use third party billing or a store on the consoles. But I doubt it.

I should try to find our agreement with them.

Atomicated posted:

I've never used it before but there's at least something resembling this kind of option in some karaoke game on the 360. It's not an autorenewing sub or anything but it is paying for timed access to DLC rather than owning it as far as I understand.

This is an entirely different beast if they're using covers as I suspect. Rock band is using master stems.

All of this could change but they haven't said anything to the DLC owners like myself yet.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

ApexAftermath posted:

All it would involve is a website or whatever where you supply the XBL or PSN account info that originally purchased, and then you get prompted for which system you want to transfer to, you then supply the credentials for the account you want to transfer

Yeah each company is going to allow a third party developer to mine purchase data at an account level, because that information certainly isn't useful and there's no chance for abuse.

Each company then is going to create a new accounting bucket for these free legacy downloads that accounts for them while allowing them to otherwise be for sale but isn't tied to any specific redemption code. Because that's trivial to do and again certainly no chance for abuse.

Not to mention facilitate the move out of their ecosystem to their competitor.

Why can't I do a similar thing on Amazon and iTunes? What's stopping them?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

farottone posted:

It's certainly done with iTunes. On example is magazines issues, bought with a general account (for publishers allowing cross-platform purchases) and read on iOs devices as well as Windows, etc.

It's not with music, which again with licensing, rights and accounting, is far different than anything else. What you're talking about isn't remotely comparable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Minidust posted:

I'm no legal expert, but the basic premise of GHTV sounds like it would be way easier to license in today's climate than individual song downloads. Pandora-esque legal music streaming is everywhere now. Makes me wonder how the on-demand songs will work, since specific content selection tends to be gated off in a premium tier of these services. Then again stuff like Vevo lets you search and play music videos with no real limits, so who knows.

The licensing stuff is interesting -- it's still being synced to a game vs just being broadcast like Vevo. And Vevo has a pretty serious ad sales team to pay the increased rate vs stuff on YouTube.

I do agree that on first pass it would be easier to license as well. The real test is some of the deeper catalog / older artists and their publishers approving this type of stuff over time.