Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Hope they somehow figure out how to get the RB3 songs in to RB4 considering that game didn't have an export key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kelp Plankton posted:

Excited to see the new character creator and find out if they've dropped keyboard support or what.

Pro Guitar and Keyboard support is gone. They said that they are going back to the "core" instruments, but still supporting Pro Drums.

Meta Ridley posted:

Does Microsoft/Xbox do Rock Band DLC better in some way than Sony/PS4? I know Rock Band was much more popular on the X360 than PS3 but can't remember if there was a reason for it.

360 had more of the Rock Band Network songs, and then we would get the Best Of hits on the PS3 many weeks later I believe. I also don't think there was ever any custom song hack for the PS3.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yeah I was curious if there might be a legal loophole there or something, since it's already a download. Seems unlikely but you never know.

Huh? You could never export the RB3 songs. I was also disappointed about this because I wanted to play those tracks in Blitz.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Sold. Every current complaint may be addressed, and that was all I wanted out of RB3. I'm still planning on maintaining my customs though - those guys really made a great game incredible. Hope they inspired HMX!

I kind of enjoy the value we get per song for the retail copies though. All three games had 58, 84, and 83 tracks respectively, though Lego Rock Band had 45.

I'm fine with ditching the yearly retail release as long as we can get huge discounts on tracks instead of paying $2 for every song.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

pksage posted:

Right, so you don't make them controllers -- they're like microphones, and just act as GRYBO input machines. No guide button, no attachment to a profile, you would just press Start on one and it would take up a slot at the bottom of the screen. I have to imagine that MS/Sony have legal protections in place against "pseudo-controllers" like that, because there's no way they didn't consider it at the height of their hardware issues.

I fear that the closest we're ever getting is the MIDI adapter, and I really doubt we'll get XB1/PS4 specific MIDI adapters, so here's hoping those are included in whatever wave of forward-compatibility we end up getting for peripherals.

I can almost guarantee they did it the way they did so that you must have each instrument to play each part. So no accidentally loading up the guitar part on the drums and vice versa.

It would also prevent cheaters from playing parts on the controller and ruining the leader board.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ApexAftermath posted:

All it would involve is a website or whatever where you supply the XBL or PSN account info that originally purchased, and then you get prompted for which system you want to transfer to, you then supply the credentials for the account you want to transfer to.

Why would Microsoft ever agree to do this? Most people had the 360 version, which means they have to buy an XBO to take their DLC with them to Rock Band 4. You expect them to allow people to just take their DLC to the PS4? They are going to try to see these people an XBO.

Sure, yeah... it's technologically feasible, but no company would allow this to happen.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
For those that have figured out how to get custom songs... why do you even need Rock Band 4?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

farottone posted:

No, they just did some banding on it instead of using the absent original stems.

To be clear: I'm not suggesting a game with no individual stems is better or anything, I'm saying that based on the feedback we had the same amount of people wanted stems AND actually preferred no stems. What would the tradeoff between losing some users and getting more songs in game? That's what I would be curious to know.

Cheaper stemless DLC in it's own section of the store. Kind of how Rock Band Network had alternate pricing and was a lot of indy stuff.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

pksage posted:

I might be in the minority here, but I have never been able to care even a little bit about band scores. Maybe it's because the first attempt at non-in-game leaderboards was ScoreHero literally making a board for every combination of instruments on every song, but...

I can totally get behind scores for solo instruments, but band scoring has always seemed pointless to me.

That was your problem.

I remember when Rock Band originally came out, I was in the top 50 drummers with that in game career drum leaderboard or something like that. Then RB2 came out, and I just never had the time to sit through and try to gold star every single song.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

CzarChasm posted:

Actually, I think there are two ways GH could pull the rug out from under RB. 1) Better Song Selection and 2) 360/PS3 versions. Even then, I'll be damned if Activision is getting any of my money.

Thinking about it... is there ANY reason this stuff needs to be next gen? I would think that if they already built the note charts that it would be very simple to keep making new tracks as RB3 DLC.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I like the concept of the new button layout and would love to try it.

Still not sold on the game though until I see how the song list, how DLC will work, and pricing.

Edit: I hope you can skip that unbearably long intro to the FMV crowd stuff. 1:15 just to get into a song? No thanks.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So it looks like they shot each song two times (possibly more) using the same blocking each time only changing if the crowd and band are cheering or booing you.

They they shot the crowd twice with a motion control rig, so they could seamlessly go back and forth between the crowd cheering or booing.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/another-level-of-guitar-hero-live/2300-10110/

This demo shows it off pretty good at 2:45 and 3:45. It's actually kind of funny, I didn't notice in the other video how your bandmates look so disappointed.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I don't think that they are going to have FMV video for the DLC. It seems like that's just for the main career mode, which would be the songs on the disc.

I thought the animations would he the same for everyone song and more so based on the concert venue, but I remembered the band is actually playing the song too since the singing and drums clearly match up.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Steve2911 posted:

And I really, really hope they sell an official drumkit with cymbals. I probably wont bother with any of the other instruments this time around, and I missed out on cymbals last gen.

Same here. I missed out on cymbals with my RB1 drum kit, and never felt the need to upgrade and spend the cash.

I could justify it with RB4 and a whole new console.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Bit disappointed that the Rock Band drums have not changed much, but only because I wanted an excuse to upgrade instruments if my PS3 drums are compatible. The IGN video said they are pretty much the Beatles drums, probably with some minor improvements. Previous gen cymbals will work on the new drum kits though which is nice.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

What would you change? The guitar is pretty abstract and could be reinvented easily, but the drums are basically drums.

I have no idea, but it's harder to justify a new drum set when it's essentially the same. I do have the RB1 drums though...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05...m_medium=social

Looks like they are already predicting an instrument shortage. I can only hope that they confirm that old instruments will still work.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Orange Harrison posted:

This post makes no sense. Both Rock Band 2 and Rock Band 3 have export codes on the manual. Do you come from an alternate universe where RB2 was exportable seven or so months before its sequel came out, and the things happening right now are somehow inconsistent with what happened five years ago?

Edit: PK we are still waiting for your exhibitionist tits

To be fair, all the other games have inserts or pages in the manual that are like "Export your songs!" and spell out directions. Just checked my Rock Band 3 manual and it's just an inconspicuous bunch of letter and numbers on the back blank page with out any directions explaining what it does or what it is.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Dr Zaius posted:

I can't believe how many posts are trying to excuse the idea of no online multiplayer whatsoever, that's insane.

I realize there are people out there that will miss it immensely, but I never really used online multiplayer. It wasn't fun for me, and I might as well have been playing with a computer controlled player.

I do enjoy score competitions and beating scores that friends have set. I'd miss that if it was gone.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

pksage posted:

From the forums post above. Emphasis mine. My money is on "official wired instruments will work by launch, MIDI adapter and ION kit will not".

The wireless instruments work with a dongle through a USB port. Why can't we just buy a new dongle that syncs with the old instruments?

Anyway, really disappointed to see the pre-orders on only hardware bundles. I really want this game for just drums, and I don't want to spend $250 to get a new drumset.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What are the chances of them selling drums on their own again? I really don't want to buy that full band bundle for new drums.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

It seems like the best of all options.

-Full access to the entire library for free with MTV style video rotation.
-Pay for DLC per song to play whenever
-Buy an all access pass for group play with a time limit.

The only thing I'm not to keen on is how everything is cloud based. I don't like spending money on DLC that will one day go away when the servers go poof.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kaboobi posted:

They're just microphones, I'd be super surprised if they didn't work.
The wireless lips mics or singstar mics on the other hand, don't get your hopes up.

My PS2 Sing Star mics worked with Rock Band on the PS3. Not sure why microphones wouldn't continue working.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Ugh... I may jump on the Guitar Hero bandwagon this generation.

I worries me that there was no talk of a PS3 legacy adapter. If I have to buy new drums, I don't know if it's worth $250 for a bundle.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

cbirdsong posted:

The PS3/2 instruments will probably just work on the PS4 because they used USB dongles in the first place.

I did not realize that the PS2 instruments were essentially just the PS3 instruments with the PS button and everything

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Having my back catalogue of song exports and DLC, and not needing to buy new instruments, far outweighs no online play. If they are dumping resources into those two things instead of online play I will gladly take it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kabanaw posted:

I'll ask this: what feature in RB4 would you rather not be in RB4 so that there was online instead? Assume that for whatever reason adding both features isn't possible.

The thing is that you can still play online in RB3, the only thing people are missing out on is playing online with new RB4 on disc songs and DLC. You would think that the inability to play like 70 new on disc songs wouldn't matter that much when you have a 1,000 song DLC library.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The rage that would have came out of a Rock Band Karaoke announcement... almost wish I could have seen it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What makes Karaoke Rock Band different than just playing vocals only?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a good thing that Rock Band is saying they're moving more towards a party karaoke focus and away from being a hardcore points-scoring game. Nobody likes to fail a song, most people just want to have a good time, they don't care about being perfect music robots.

I disagree. Party karaoke is great when you have people over, but not everybody does that. When I'm playing solo, I try to beat my previous best score, or a friends score. The score challenges were one of my favorite parts of Rock Band Blitz where you had one shot at beating a friend's score

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'm curious about how much the party pass will be, and how long it will unlock all the songs for.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

toymach1ne posted:

I'd imagine it will mirror Xbox Karaoke, which I actually bought once (8hrs) was pretty fun

Hmm...

quote:

Karaoke for Xbox 360 offers a selection of songs to try the service for free. To sing all songs, Karaoke Passes can be purchased using Microsoft Points, in blocks of 2 hours (240 Points), 6 hours (400 Points) or 30 days (720 hours) (1600 Points). The time period is continuous, real-time and starts when you play a song after the purchase of the Pass. A countdown in real-time is displayed on screen so that you know how much time you have left to sing. For example, if you purchase a 2 hour Pass at 7 pm, and play your first song at 7:45 pm, the Pass will end at 9:45 pm.

$5 for 6 hours, $3 for 2 hours? I wish my Rock Bad had some sort of stat tracking so I could see how much time I put into that for comparison.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Did anybody else get the survey asking why they didn't pre-order Rock Band 4?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Have they ever gave official word on PS3 Instrument Compatibility with the PS4? That's my only hold up right now.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The T posted:

This was posted on Twitter earlier, but. Long story short wired poo poo isn't gonna work (except mics, duh).

Oh hell yes, all my RB1 PS3 instruments will work on my PS4! That's all I really care about. As long as I only have to pay $60 for the game itself, I am down with Rock Band. The moment I needed to start buying new instruments I was consider jumping on the cheaper Guitar Here Live train.

Really surprised that my wired RB1 drums will work on the PS4.

pksage posted:

Ugh, I hope we can buy the legacy box by itself, because right now your options are:

- Guitar + game bundle
- Guitar + drums + mic + game bundle
- Legacy box + game bundle
- Just the game

So if you're in my boat, and you want a guitar, the legacy box, and the game, you might have to get two discs and shell out $210. :barf:

There are so many loving SKUs for this game, just assume that you'll be able to buy everything in every combination that you want.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So are there no plans to even launch Rock Band 4 as essentially a huge Track Pack for the PS3 and XBox 360? I don't really give a poo poo about all of the new features, just give me the songs man.

it's not doing anything new that justifies a next gen only release. At least with Guitar Hero I can see that they are doing new things that makes me believe it couldn't be pulled off on the previous gen.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I feel like waiting this one out a week or two and see how hosed the launch is and get sure answers to all my questions I don't even get any pre-order bonus for getting the standalone game so there is no incentive to pre-order.

How much did the stand alone drum set cost before at MSRP? That's the only instrument I care to upgrade, but my RB1 set still works

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This whole cross platform DLC thing sounds like a mess. It's the only reason to support RB4 over Guitar Hero IMO.

Going to wait for someone to just compile an official list of what works or hope that it's fixed at launch

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TrojanNemo posted:

Yeah, you're probably right. Except if you want to play harmonies. Or you want to play drums. Or you want to play bass. Or you want to play with more than two people at once.
But you're probably right.

In my opinion... everyone has their own wants and needs.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Are you in the in-game store or the console marketplace, because people have been having better luck in the latter.

Like, care about online or not... does the base logic here seem like it's making sense? Am I dissociating in real time?

It's like when Nintendo doesn't put online play into a game because they say the local multiplayer how it was meant to be played or some stupid bullshit.

I kind of wish they did what Sing Star did where you had the free Hub app, downloaded songs al la carte, but could use existing DLC purchases as a base. Sold all the instruments individually (less SKUs), let people bring their old instruments if they can.... There is no reason to have a disc tracks without online play, because you don't need to have a core group of people with the same songs now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So when you pre-download DLC on the PS4.... where does it go?

I just spend about half an hour on the Web store purchasing, hitting download to PS4, and watching a banner pop up on my PS4 saying it was added to Downloads. But I see no proof that it is there.

Also, was much less painless to do through the web store. Don't attempt doing it through the system store if you want to have sanity in the end.