Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I've already switched to Project Diva F on my Vita. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Many of the people who posted in this thread only registered here after being so annoying that they got threads about Rock Band banned from NeoGAF.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The online band leaderboards were kinda nonsense, because who cares about the actual top places those guys are psychos in any game, and the friends scores are all duplicated because they were playing together because they are friends.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

pksage posted:

C3 custom song releases for April 1, 2015:
  • Focus - "Hocus Pocus (Live)" (pksage)

gently caress YOU!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

KiddieGrinder posted:

Does it bother anyone who plays customs that they don't have access to the master tracks, so there's no gaps in guitar or whatever instrument when they miss?

Cause I imagine that would bug me a lot. It takes away the illusion that you're playing, doesn't it?

Depends on if you miss.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I have a better idea: Don't buy Activision games.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

KiddieGrinder posted:

:yikes:

Wasn't expecting that, I'd hoped the days of gimmicks was over and it was going to get more refined. Will this be Slider 2.0? Unless it's a translation/writting error and they don't mean a gameplay element where the angle of your body/guitar controls the tempo of the track.

That's obviously a translation error as it's in the context of things Guitar Hero games already do.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

farottone posted:

Sounds like previous controllers will be useless.

You need to tap the Song Crystals on the Rock Portal.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Merijn posted:

this is pretty cool actually. looks like SingStar.

This makes a lot more sense if they are just going to put the music videos in the background when they can.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Merijn posted:

Wow, they're really goign to release it on Xbox 360/One, PS3/4 and Wii U. And somewhere it mentioned a mobile version as well.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Standards not cleared. Surprise! :v:

The Giantbomb video posted earlier is a straight-up gameplay demo and it looks like they're way more clumsy than that, the screen blurs out to the booing crowd when you gently caress up too much and then blurs back to the cheering crowd when you're doing good and it's super obvious when it happens. They aren't even different shots, so if you're looking at the drummer he'll wink if you doing good but then blur out to looking at your weird when you're loving up. So it looks like they shot each song two times (possibly more) using the same blocking each time only changing if the crowd and band are cheering or booing you.

It probably is cheaper than full on next gen graphics, and at the very least it's definitely faster. Since each video is only 3 to 5 minutes depending on the song, let's say 5 minutes, they can do about three to six takes for a five minute song in an hour depending on how complex the choreography is and how long it'd take to reset the stage. After a four hour day, three takes per hour, that's twelve takes, split that up between "booing" and "cheering" and if there's no super obvious screwups (like, that guy in the crowd with the yellow hat is missing from one take so throw that out, the drums fell apart because they weren't setup right so scratch that) that's one song's video done. With a fifty song setlist that's about two-three months worth of filming. Proper planning and simultaneous filming locations would make that even faster.

If Activision had no plans to make Guitar Hero until a week after HMX announced a new Rock Band, which was about six weeks ago, then decided they needed to release a new Guitar Hero this fall, then I don't really see how they'd do that without doing something incredibly cheap, and an FMV game would be a hellva lot cheaper and faster to make than an entirely new graphics engine.

That's kinda impossible, since you need your drummer to play the right song, you need to have the right number of guitarists/vocalists, and if one song is three minutes you can't use that footage for a five minute song and vis-versa since you need to the crowd to cheer at the end. Given that the gameplay demo we saw looks like they're using one unbroken shot, they need to record an live video for every individual song.
What kind of gameplay and design decisions can you base off of this commercial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwZVK8Dz0mQ

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Orange Harrison posted:

Oh my god it's Intel Discovered but with a guitar controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9iwVRY_OwY

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Meh.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Kaboobi posted:

I'm assuming the story mode is already set in stone for GHL and won't feature any songs that came out after the filming session, whenever that was. (3-6 months ago?)

So don't count on any songs from this year being in the story, but I'm assuming the GHTV service will be heavily used to push songs that have come out in the last couple of months going forward.

I'm assuming I won't play this.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

precision posted:

GHTV seems like a terrible idea for me, because what if I want to play but the only thing on GHTV is like, an hour of Avenged Sevenfold and Slipknot and stuff I hate?

I know I'm probably in the minority of only playing songs I actually enjoy listening to, but still.

Why are you playing Guitar Hero at all?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Kaboobi posted:

Congrats to pksage and crew for integrating all of the Rock Band Harmonies Project into RB4 :woop:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/04/rock-band-4-may-be-the-last-music-game-youll-ever-need-ign-first

That's neat.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Oh cool we get to buy the exact same game again.

I'm not sure voting for the next song was a big enough feature to relaunch the series under.

When 3 was just 2 with some extra poo poo crowbarred on I was disappointed but figured Beatles had sucked up all their funds and effort. This time around it's still rock band 2 but this time they used to crowbar to pry off the poo poo they tacked on to 3.

I'm glad those who want it are getting another Rock Band but complaints about releasing the same game over and over shouldn't be limited to CoD, I had a hearty laugh during the stream when the Harmonix guys trotted out the old "this isn't a franchise with sequels, were designing a platform!" spiel that they've given with the release of every Rock Band since part 1. Kinda hard to take the platform thing seriously when you're on numbered game 4 which is closer to 8 or 9? in the series.

Oh?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Saying "I'm glad there is a new rock band being made but I was hoping for something more"= methodis level making GBS threads upon. Rad, got it.

You're a bitch lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

Name some then because I can think of approximately zero.

You can download a Kindle app for your Android phone, buy a book on it using your Google Play cash, download the Kindle app on your iPad, and have access to that same book.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

That metaphor doesn't work because Amazon themselves specifically made a Kindle app for iOS. No such equivalent exists for the consoles. You're never going to see a Playstation app on Xbox.

In a perfect world, Rock Band would be the app. But, it's not going to happen.

Kaboobi posted:

To elaborate on this, you can't actually purchase books from the Kindle app on iOS because Apple would take a 30% cut of their sales. You have to purchase the books from a web browser instead and then download them in the app. Because politics.

hahah I forgot about that. I just didn't want to use the actual example I do that kinda thing with, buying books from Viz Manga using Amazon Coins.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

You're forgetting they released a Rock Band Music Store App on 360!

You're real fuckin dumb.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

Why are you getting mad over a video game? I read it wrong, I didn't notice the console owners cut part, sorry for not having my knowledge of one of 50 music games correct. :shrug:

Hmm.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

But that's true of any music game. Kids these days have no clue who Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins are, let alone Strokes, Molly Hatchet etc. We are all just out of touch old men looking for comfort songs. It's partly why Rock Band 3 sold so bad. They tried to cater to nostalgia. Who the hell under the age of 25 knows or cares about Huey Lewis?

Actually I can't even remember what was on RB3s set list except that and antibodies.

Alas, we are not the market.

Edit; J Giels band and Chicago :laffo:

No poo poo.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Kids today listen to different music than the 35 year old fatboys of this forum. This is an interesting and insightful post.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

Kids today :argh:

Actually, you will find that market demographics show that most informed purchasers today enjoy Kids Today, and thus your complaints are invalid, meaningless, and unimportant. You can find more of my posts in the Xbox One hate thread.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I've never played local multiplayer.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Kaboobi posted:

isn't that 9 songs

Buy 8 get one free

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Douche4Sale posted:

It is so obvious that they are operating with both a shoestring budget and a completely inexperienced marketing/community relations department. It's really unfortunate, because the buildup to rock band 4 has been really underwhelming and I'm not optimistic about the series/genre's future.

Music games will live on forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-pCNNbMCgA

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

xamphear posted:

I even already own an Xbone and the lack of ION Drum Rocker support basically killed any interest I had in RB4. I know that people like you and I are in the super-mega-minority (if there are more than a couple thousand ION owners who still care I'd be shocked) but hey, that doesn't change things for us. I had hope for Drum Rocker support right up until the point that HMX started saying "You'll have to contact ION" which likely means HMX hit a wall with whatever they could work out with Microsoft, and now it's up to ION to manufacturer a new brain for it. Which is super unlikely, right?

I'm no games scientist, but is it really that impossible to just plug in an old 360 controller via USB to the Xbone and write up some compatibility driver for it? Isn't that EXACTLY what someone did in their spare time to make PS3 fight sticks work on the PS4?

360 controllers have weird encryption stuff so MS themselves would probably have to care and write those kinds of drivers and support it system wide and they would rather you just buy all new controllers for everything.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

toymach1ne posted:

Really surprised that in 2015 people still think a music game like RB or GH is going to be on their piratebox

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2524210&pagenumber=85#post449711486

Stranger things have happened...

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

toymach1ne posted:

does beatmania use stems? Also how protective over rights are the JPop/Rock/etc artists featured in these games

I don't actually want to talk to you, sorry.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Kaboobi posted:

Library sorting: um, hopefully the December 8th patch adds some actual way to sort things because ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Look there's a search box where you can type in song names with your guitar isn't that good enough please stop asking questions

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

pksage posted:

I know people used it, but static vocals made a LOT of edge cases and required specific authoring, gently caress static vocals.

This sucks but there's no way they won't patch it in as part of the "platform", there's no way.

I never personally used these, but this still sucks. Again, almost certainly a patch thing, I have to imagine.

I see this as a good thing, I never ever used them to generate setlists and they were just filler that made scrolling take even longer. The fact that every artist is its own heading in the shortcut menu is really nice for whales like me with ridiculous amounts of DLC, going to "S" or "M" or a few other letters was a death sentence if you needed something in the middle.

Definitely sucks, we should make sure they know we want this for future patches.

One of the best and worst things, for sure. If other filter options are gone entirely (I didn't watch the entire stream), that's rough. I really hate that we apparently missed the tiny window where Kinect voice search and SmartGlass integration were a thing, because the RB songlist is a perfect use case for those. Set up the next song with your phone on the couch while four other people play! "Xbox, Allman Brothers Band"! etc.!

~SA goon Alakaiser~ dropped a nice tidbit on stream, which is that the D-pad on the drum kit switches between fill types, even within a song. (I wonder if the guitar D-pad does the same thing for freestyle guitar solos?) If we're only listing potentially-negative things, there's no "more info" on the songlist anymore, you just get the ribbon with the difficulties and other basic info. The RB1/2/3 prefab characters (Duke of Gravity, etc.) were suspiciously absent, but maybe they just didn't get randomly picked as stand-ins.

I don't trust anything to get patched in until they actually start patching anything in, and state what they plan to do after that. Buy the game for what already exists instead of hoping they might add things if you tweet at them hard enough.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

pksage posted:

I wish I could disagree with this sentiment, because I do sort of trust Harmonix (though I'm far from an apologist), but you're right, this is part of that worrying trend in games as a whole. RB4 definitely seems rushed to market, and because they have a lot of stuff tied up in this IP I think they'll follow through on one or two patches, but who knows.

Oh, and looking into the official details of Patch #1, they make a point to distinguish it as "free", and the Wikipedia article for RB4 says they've discussed paid patches in the past. What kind of feature would be worth paying for? Honestly, my answer would have been "multiple hi-speed options", and that's apparently free. Not sure if I would pay for Practice Mode, honestly.

Yea, no hate. I just hope no ones bought a PS4 for Last Guardian after buying a PS3 for Last Guardian, understand?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

TrojanNemo posted:

If you're talking about from within the C3 CON Tools app, you have to update. The changes to the forums essentially broke all prior links. Within the forums it should already be changed though, as I at least changed all my links. In any case, it's still the first thread in the Authoring Tools board.

If you tell people "hey, I removed X", you're going to get people bitching about X even though they may never have used or intended to use X. The true test of something's worth is to remove it and if people notice it's gone, it's being missed. I went through this exactly when I restructured some of the tools for C3 and I stripped a lot of crap I had added. Someone who will remain nameless started bitching about the default color palette hurting their eyes...even though the original tool from Harmonix had no color palette choice or skin customization and they used it fine for years prior to me customizing it...

Point being, people are entitled as gently caress and will complain about the most minute thing. If you make a list of things of what is not in RB4, people will complain and demand all those things. Even if they're things that were never used.

You're entitled to lick my nuts.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

TrojanNemo, after calming down from a crying fit because someone didn't transcribe enough difficulty numbers from a video, calls everyone else entitled for wanting to know what they are paying for.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

TrojanNemo posted:

The reading comprehension in this thread is mind boggling.

If you guys just want to hate on Harmonix and not actually read what people write or use the two functioning brain cells you have left, there's the door. This is not the thread for you.

If you bothered to read what I write, it has nothing to do, at all, with what either of you took from it.

You seem to think that Harmonix copy/pasted the RB3 source code into a new project called RB4, and then said "I'm going to remove this" and "hey, let's remove that" - that's being an idiot if that's what you think. They've said from the beginning it's a new engine. We all know it's a new console generation with completely different architecture from the last generation.

So they're not "removing" features as you all keep insisting. RB4 is its own product, and they're adding to that project. If feature X is not there, it's not because it was there and they removed it. It's because it was never added. You made the incorrect assumption that it would be there because it was in a prior game in a prior console generation. That's on you.

I don't apologize for Harmonix and I have criticized them where criticism is due. But what you guys are doing is just being entitled whiny brats bitching because something you like isn't in this new game. I sure hope you're spending exponentially more time bitching at Activision for all they removed from Guitar Hero.

You are literally the only person to use the word remove in the last 5 pages of this thread. No one here is as dumb as you think. They are disappointed.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Beelzebozo posted:

I think they view the new "play a show" mode as the replacement for quick play setlists. But it really isn't if you care at all about leaderboards / FCs / score chasing type stuff. All of that is disabled in play a show because it carries your combo and overdrive from song to song and awards bonuses that aren't available in quick play.

I didn't know about that lol

That's such a weird change from 3 where they made it more score/goal friendly by making your personal score while playing in a band save the same as when playing solo.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

We got him, boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

Hello everyone and welcome to the year of our lord 2015 where people still give a poo poo about guitar straps.

:troll: