Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I'd much rather buy a PS4 but considering how much Rock Band stuff I have on 360 it would be cheaper for me to buy an Xbone just for Rock Band, even if I turned around and bought a PS4 for other games.

Rock Band was the reason I bought a 360 to begin with, so it seems appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Honestly I'm not too concerned about losing Pro Guitar because I feel like Rocksmith has handled that particular thing better. Losing keys is a bit of a bummer, I thought RB3's pro key layout worked pretty well, but I honestly didn't play them all that much and whenever I'd play with a group and keys were added to the mix it would greatly decrease the number of songs we had available to the point where we just started ignoring the keys.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

farottone posted:

- The Cranberries' Zombie. Actually, this one is an awesome fit for the keyless Rock Band era.

This was just released for Rocksmith last week, so they are at least open to licensing the song out. It's been in my head, in my head, ever since, ever since, ever since, since, since, since, oh.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
If I had to take a guess, I'd say that the wireless 360 controllers the are giving them issues on the XBone. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't end up releasing a wireless adapter dongle much like the one that already exists to use 360 controllers on PC.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I think the 2x3 button controller seems kinda like a neat idea, could do some more interesting things with chords at least.

The game gives me a few Rocksmith 1 vibes. That game had a weird first-person view with FMV people pasted into 3d crowds that would react to how well you were playing, and the 3d stages meant the lighting effects could sync with the song, but the audience was a kinda uncanny sea of clones. The UI also has a Rocksmith-like Song Goals section which would always be a new goal for you in that song, like reaching a certain % of notes hit, or getting a streak of x notes. No idea if that will function the same way here.

One thing that worries me the most out of those screenshots is this thing:

Mobile micro-transaction fests make me assume the worst of this UI feature and expect things like "Trial this song for 1 Hero Gem or add it to your song locker for 200 Guitar Gold." It could be something completely else though.

Ultimately though I played like 80% of my Rock Band time on pro drums so that is where most of my interest lies between the two games.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I played around 80% pro drums in RB3 and I've still got my Ion drums so having these things still work in RB4 is pretty important to me, especially considering I'd be buying an xbone just for the game.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I played online with a friend occasionally but the majority of my multiplayer time with Rock Band has always been local mp.

Though it did give me the time where I played the score duel mode or whatever it was called on drums and got matched with a player called METAL DRUMMER (in some variation of all caps and leet speak) who failed out within seconds of starting Everlong.

Edit: Me pre-ordering RB4 hinges on Ion support. I can never go back to that tiny little RB drum set, no matter how much they've improved the build quality. I've gotta buy an xbone for the thing so I doubt I'll just to buy a new midi drum brain to slap on there, hell if RB4 even supports the midi adapter for drums that is.

Fina fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 18, 2015

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

quote:

Can people use their e-kits to drum?

“We’re very aware a bunch of hardcore players would like to. Unfortunately, game development as an indie studio is a numbers game, and we need to focus on first-party instruments to cast the widest net. We technically haven’t even finished converting every plastic instrument, but we will look at IONs and e-kits when we have time.”

I guess I'll maybe buy Rock Band 4 in the future when I have time. I wonder how/if Rock Band 3 will work with xbone/360 backward compatibility.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Some of the Rocksmith chart updates were pretty spotty though, missing notes, techniques, proper tones, etc. When they went back and re-charted the songs to add Bass to the game that effort was all part of a $30 paid expansion that updated the 110-ish songs they had available at the time, so that much wasn't free. Unused technique metadata started showing up in the files shortly after, so I believe that they were already charting DLC songs to the updated standard before 2014 was announced instead of going back and re-charting everything later. Most of the songs with issues are the oldest releases.

I'm not trying to poo poo on either Ubisoft's or Harmonix's efforts here, but it isn't completely fair to compare the two situations. That being said I think it's odd that Harmonix wouldn't fix reported charting bugs, especially if they're already going to the effort to add harmonies project changes and I assume they have to re-test the songs before publishing them on the new platforms anyway. I know they're looking down the barrel of thousands of songs but how many of them actually have reported bugs that need fixed?

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Rocksmith also got in on the zombies thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS2QGKCeG88

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

Zaphod42 posted:

I just loving wish they'd let you skip to the higher levels. I don't need to practice loving power chords for 3 hours, what in the christ.

You don't even unlock simple poo poo like major chords for a long time, much less things I actually need to practice like 7ths and suspended and augmented chords.

Yeah, I felt like it was a bit of a regression of the first Chordead game which very quickly progressed to harder chords once you nailed a few easy ones instead of just repeating a small set for each stage.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
They could've used Sing For The Moment so we would've got Eminem and Aerosmith at the same time!

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
They should've made the wireless adapter look like a tiny guitar amp.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
The stage kit jab at the wrestling event was great, a pain in the rear end but otherwise great.

I had a chance to play Rock Band 4 at PAX earlier. I played on the secondary stage on the side and there was a good half second of latency between pushing a fret and it lighting up on screen which really hurt the playability so I don't think I'll bother playing again at pax. Otherwise the soundtrack had some great songs that sound like they'll be a ton of fun. I heard one guy absolutely KILL IT at I Believe In A Thing Called Love, people passing by were cheering for him, he hit some crazy high notes.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I've thought it'd be neat to use the Stage Kit light on my PC like some of those monitors that have LED backlights that light up the wall behind the screen with whatever color is on the screen.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Playing RB4 has me considering booting up RB3 again. I know this has been posted multiple times through the thread but does anyone have a link to a guide on setting up customs for RB3? I have a spare USB stick and I understand I'll need to run different title update versions if I want to keep leaderboards and such, but with C3 shutting down soon I figure I might as well jump in while I have the chance.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I hooked up my 360 and launched the Rock Band Music Store to empty my xbox wallet on $1 DLC before they go back up. But goddamn, it lost connection to the Rock Central server like two dozen times and would kick me out of the list each time.

Rock Band Blitz is still really fun though.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I'm kinda surprised they didn't use the opportunity to throw in a track or two that was featured in the Fallout soundtrack. Though I must imagine that most of the stuff from that decade is impossible to get master tracks for.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I'm trying to imagine what Rock Band Nexus would be like if Rock Band actually becomes a thing on PC.

Day 1: All textures replaced with a portrait of John Drake mod
Day 2: Better bodies (nude) (female only) (bigger butts edition) Version 2.3
Day 3: My Little Pony note gem mod
Day 4: Guitar Straps (requires Better Bodies mod)

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I had never even heard of Clutch until some people in this thread mentioned the tracks on RBN some years back, now they're one of my favorite bands.

Thanks, Rock Band thread!

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I feel like I need to back this just to put my money where my mouth is.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I wonder how much better latency would be on PC. Moving Rocksmith from 360 to PC was a night and day difference.

The biggest drawback so far is if they never re-release a bunch of the old exports on PC then there will be some huge, sad holes in the library. There is no chance in hell of any sort of DLC transfer, and I'm actually a little amazed that they've announced this for Steam with the Workshop support instead of going on board with the Windows 10 Store stuff that Microsoft is really trying to push right now with Quantum Break, Forza, and Gears being released for the platform. That would, in theory, allow you to keep all of your 360/xbone purchases. Then again if they launched all the old DLC for like $1 each then it'd still be cheaper for me than buying an Xbone.

Plus Ions.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I don't disagree, I just easily imagine Microsoft donating a large chunk of change and locking more people into their ecosystem.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

flakeloaf posted:

It would be far easier and almost certainly cheaper to use a MIDI interface and a budget e-kit, both of which are things that exist right now. But hey, if you wanna find some cheap piezos, glue them to rubber frisbees and solder the whole mess to an I-PAC...

This is PC gaming now, only scrubs buy pre-built hardware.

Now I'm off to the store to buy all the LEDs I'm mounting into my drums.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Yeah, they should start with Blitz on PC. I don't really boot up my xbox to play RB3 anymore, but I have played Blitz a few times cause it is really fun.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
The 2500 tier is too much. However, if they released another tier that included the RB1/RB2/RB3/Lego on-disk songs, well I'd have a hard time turning that one down.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I really enjoyed Runaway by Bon Jovi on Pro Keys. It was relatively easy and repetitive but fun to play.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I don't even own an xbone or RB4 yet and I'm considering pre-ordering that because it won't be worth getting RB4 if I can't use my Ions.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Yeah, I caved and purchased one. I guess if I never buy an Xbone then at least it will have some re-sell value.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Blitz was a ton of fun. Last few times I've hooked up my 360 have been just to play some Blitz.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Has anyone played RB4 on an Xbox One X and does it get anything from the new hardware like less latency, smoother framerate, better load times, etc.?

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
The recent Steam blog post about controller usage statistics on Steam shows 229k Steam users have had Rock Band instruments hooked up to their PC. This amuses me greatly and I'm proud.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Bless those RBN tracks and whoever suggested them on this forum for getting me into Clutch.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

RodShaft posted:

I haven't had to mess with the hardware in ages, but I used to run a Rockband 2 night at a bar, and if I remember correctly the drum pedal is just an on/off switch you can rebuild it with just about anything. I made one with one of those magnetic window alarms from the dollar tree and a real drum pedal.

I bet there's some old tutorials or something that would explain it better than my decade old memories could.

(I THINK it's always "on" and when you hit it turns it "off" for the hit, but decade old memory)

I bought one like this back during my RB3 pro drums heyday. It was a real drum pedal with some sort of magnetic sensor hot glued to it. I'm sure someone has to have instructions for the design online somewhere. Hit up a used instrument supply store for a pedal and source the trigger and wiring online and you could have a drum pedal that would last forever.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Fellow Drumladies and Drumlords, I just set up my Ion Drum Rocker with my 360 for the first time in ages. The pads still work perfectly but the cymbals don't register hits well at all, you really have to whack them to register jack. I've opened them up and made sure that everything inside is still sturdy, the piezoelectric sensor is still firmly in place and all the wiring is good. I've ventured into an area of YouTube last explored around by humans somewhere around 2008 but haven't been able to find anything useful as far as potential mods or repairs go.

I've actually looked into getting some of the Pintech TC10 cymbals as replacements as they run about $32/ea on Amazon as a replacement, but it looks like I'd need different boom arms as the ones that came with my Ions have a triangular head that keeps the cymbals facing in one direction. If I need to get new booms and other new hardware I start running into the point where a brand new Alesis e-kit isn't that far out of reach, and I already have the MIDI adapter.

If you're still holding your pro drums together with love and tape what are your tips for either fixing the cymbals or replacing/upgrading parts?

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Thanks for the feedback on the drums, I think I'll splurge on a kit next week.

Going back through my RB3 library has me wondering though. I know they had the Harmonies project to retroactively add/fix harmonies in old songs. Have there ever been any project to fix the missing/incorrect Pro Drums mapping in early RBN 1.0 songs or is that impossible?

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Wow, I saw the name and didn't look into what else it did. Thanks for that. Got it installed now.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Has anyone heard word on if the new Series X will support the Rock Band legacy adapters? I seem to recall Microsoft using wording that "most" peripherals would be forward-compatible but there is a little wiggle room there for niche devices like these to not be supported.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Oh man, I'm glad you mentioned that. I wasn't aware the export was ending. I would've been devastated if I got a new Xbox and missed it. Just bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
So what's the best way to actually buy Rock Band 4 right now? The RB4 + Rivals bundle is $60 on the storefront, I can find the RB4 disk for $20 new and buy Rivals separately, or I could likely get it real cheap used. I don't know if RB4 or Rivals has any redeemable codes that would be used up by a previous owner though. What's the deal?