Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Welp, looks like this is going to force my hand to get an XBone. I actually crunched out how much money I spent on DLC over the years and it rang up to something like $700.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
A few years back (when Blitz was coming out) I was at the Rock Band panel at PAX East and during the Q&A there was a very awkward dude asking unflattering questions about Freq/Amp and as soon as I heard that Quebec accent, I knew it was him.

He was just as unpleasant in real life as on the forums.

Now butrosbomb, there's a name I haven't heard a in while.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
But the Ringo tracks before 1990 WERE the good tracks!

I'd kill to have Photograph in this game.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
They're using the Star Trek font (or at least something heavily inspired) for the logo? LOL.

As long as they don't completely ruin the market like they did the last time Activision/GH can do what they want I suppose.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I was really pleased with that instruments video. I might have to buy a band-in-the-box after all.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
They mentioned that the new drums have a different pad construction to avoid denting and other issues. They're not a RB3 reskin. HOW different it is, they didn't say.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Yes, I play online MP in rock band because I have a lot of friends who play rock band who don't live in the same town. My enthusiasm has certainly gone down.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Online MP was one of the banner features of RB1, people were asking for that stuff back in the GH2 days. It's not surprising that people might both be surprised and annoyed at its absence.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Douche4Sale posted:

I had a group that played local multiplayer at least once a week starting with rock band 1. We eventually moved separate ways, but still get together online to play 3 at least a couple of times a month. We all bought the same dlc (a little over 1k songs) and we plug headsets in and have some beers and have a good time. It was a lot of fun shooting the poo poo in between songs, laughing about something that happened, etc. I guess if you don't use headsets or are serious business it is like playing with bots, but it was a great and unique social experience we could still do. We'll probably still play 3 online. However, all of us were planning to each go out and buy an Xbox one and rock band 4 when it was announced, but none of us are anymore. There's just nothing to offer, but a really expensive track pack we can't play together.

It's disappointing, but I understand they are trying to make a business decision. I question a lot of their decisions, especially dropping core features. It also seems odd that they are trying to appease die hard fans with dlc importing, while at the same time neglecting things like pro drums etc. I worry they over interpreted email surveys or focus testing too. I guess I'm not sure who they expect to buy it or are just hoping to catch lightning in a bottle like last time. I hope it does well eventually and grows into the game with features everyone wants, but everything I've seen so far gives me a lot of skepticism. It really feels like they don't have a plan and are just trying to cobble a bare bones game together as cheaply at possible, hope it takes off, and then keep the ball rolling and growing, which seems like a heck of a gamble, but hopefully it works out. And at least it's not some sort of free to play micro transaction abomination!

This was how it was for me, FWIW. I enjoyed playing online MP with one group of friends that, for various reasons, had all moved around over the years. We generally bought the same DLC or had a vastly overlapping library, and we played with headsets so we could cheer each other on. I always brought my 360 and instruments to other friends' houses to be "The rock band guy" so I had plenty of fun with offline MP, but online MP was just a good way for my other friends to play the game together.

I never played with randos and I understand why people didn't like that experience. But playing online MP with friends was a big selling point for me in RB1 and through the series. I think I would still buy the game, because all my instruments will still work and even in single player I still enjoy it. But it would certainly be an easier sell with online MP so I could play with a wider group of friends.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 22, 2015

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

cbirdsong posted:

Jefferson Starship – Jane

Buying the XBone just for this one song.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Beelzebozo posted:

They should do another version of

…and that song should count toward it.

Oh heavens, don't do that. It already exists on C3. Go download it now before they take it down, and save yourself the $350.

I was being jokey; I'm going to be moving on to RB4 regardless. I'm enough of a sucker on this series to buy an XBone anyway, my $1k+ investment in DLC has to go somewhere. A stemmed version is just a bonus.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

atholbrose posted:

She's gone away to Spain.

She's playing a ga-a-ya-ame.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Eight years ago I stood out in freezing cold at midnight to get a band-in-a-box at the Watertown Best Buy. It was freezing as gently caress and we were all huddled up in line waiting for the doors to open. We saw these guys going up and down the line with boxes of donuts and it turns out they were all Harmonix developers. Pretty sure Panzer was there along with Dan. For a night that was as cold as gently caress everybody was having a great time.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
As far as real guitars go, a rosewood versus maple fretboard can also be a decision for playability and sound. Maple boards tend to go for a brighter sound, and lacquered vs. bare maple has their own "feel" versus a rosewood board.

A maple board does look better with certain colors but oftentimes the choice may be a personal decision for someone playing a real guitar.

That said these are rock band guitars so it doesn't really matter.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

TrojanNemo posted:

Right, that much I assumed. But as you pointed out these are fake guitars. And the light fretboard doesn't look like maple, it looks like barbie doll plastic. It may be a mental thing, but the plastic looks and feels cheaper on the light colored neck than on the dark wood looking neck. Maybe it would have worked if they had pulled off a convincing wood pattern, but this is just unpainted plastic and looks horrible to my eyes.

Yeah, I get that. It's a bummer they didn't improve that materail if they went that way. I owned two RB1 black strats that had maple-style fretboards and they looked just as plastic back then too. I also had an RB2 sunburst strat with the fake rosewood style board. There is a difference between the smooth, slick buttons of those versus the fake rosewood pattern on the RB2 strats. I don't think it amounts to much and yeah it looks cheaper but you might prefer a slick board versus one with more friction.

Then I got the wood replica strat and never looked back.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
If they made a best of Alabama pack I'd buy it immediately. That would be perfect rock band music.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Looks like I'm buying an Xbone, then. Took them a year but if we get continual improvement I'm ok with it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Fuckers. I guess this means I'm never getting RB4 for Xbox.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Yes, Archer got good again after Archer Vice.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The tenth anniversary of waiting outside the Watertown Best Buy for the midnight release along with some Harmonix employees has to be within this timeframe too.

They brought us donuts. :3:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Kaboobi posted:

I would be if turning on Dolby didn't add another 100ms of lag onto the already 120ms I have using stereo uncompressed.

You shouldn't be using Dolby on an Xbone or a PS4 because these consoles can output uncompressed multichannel LPCM and no extra decoding is necessary. If your receiver doesn't support that then upgrade.

However the Xbone's HDMI interface itself adds some latency (as discussed earlier in this thread).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Brandy is nyacht yacht rock.