Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
I don't think i understand what impulse is. Is it the little icon that appears above my dash countdown thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
It also seems like Lightbinders have some insane Impulse damage bonus. I swapped to Lightbinder from Paladin for a change of pace, and got really shocked at how much easier you can wipe whole groups with it. Then after a bit I actually checked their skills and noticed they're all super low damage to begin with, but I just had an incredibly high impulse stat with that class. Played a bit of cryomancer after that, and while it felt weaker, it eventually felt like it overtook lightbinder for good single target damage. They're just super squishy at start cause they don't get a shield till near the end of their atlas, and some of their early sub skills are iffy.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Go through the classes tutorials in the virtual training area, they give you a better idea of what your class can do. Cryomancer starts really dull but some of the attacks shown in the training area are bonkers. Snowball makes a giant snowball that barrels toward enemies and either blows them to the side like bowling balls or takes them for a ride katamary damacy style. Its hilarious and does a ton of damage.

Worth noting that doing the tutorials for each class unlocks that outfit for use on any class. Really great option as they have some very neat looking class armors.

Edit: Impulse is essentially a number of bonus damage attacks you get. If you look at the icon and number above the dash indicator you'll see your number of impulse attacks. You'll also notice certain attacks list that it uses impulse charges, which means it'll burn a charge automatically when used to do bonus damage based on the Impulse Damage stat in your char sheet. I believe impulse damage is affected by Spirit.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 13, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, lightbinders are all about impulse burst damage. If you see their talents they have one that causes their base attacks to regenerate impulse charges, combined with their execute they have insane burst. Their base attack also has a chance to reset the cooldown for their single target stream attack that hits for decent damage, pretty good if you have impulse up.

I've been progressing through the scenarios and I'm starting to see some interesting bosses. Most bosses normal damage is pitiful, like their simple attacks wont hurt you a whole lot but their gimmicks can kill you if you are an idiot. One of the bosse s is a necromancer on top of a weird monster, the stage spawns ghostly hands that will chase after you or the boss. The black ones go after you and hurt you, but you can train them to the boss to hurt it instead. Likewise the gold ones will heal the boss, but if you run into them they'll heal you. Pretty fun fight, would be great if it was more challenging with extra players and a few more mechanics.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Dawnfire posted:

Worth noting that doing the tutorials for each class unlocks that outfit for use on any class. Really great option as they have some very neat looking class armors.

Edit: Impulse is essentially a number of bonus damage attacks you get. If you look at the icon and number above the dash indicator you'll see your number of impulse attacks. You'll also notice certain attacks list that it uses impulse charges, which means it'll burn a charge automatically when used to do bonus damage based on the Impulse Damage stat in your char sheet. I believe impulse damage is affected by Spirit.

Thanks, i'll have to try to remember to take advantage of that. Where do you find the tutorials?

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
The training tutorials are actually in the same spot you had the original ones. You just talk to the trainer guy and he'll put you back in that room. You then have to stand on one of the buttons infront of the three class statues. That'll start the training mission.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

You guys are starting to intrigue me a lot with all of this boss mechanic and impulse talk. It sounds like you can really get a lot out of the combat system if you try to proactively put in more skillful effort than your typical mmo.

HBPrince
Feb 22, 2012
Updated the OP with some mechanics explanation on Impulse Charge & Ritual Ornaments.

My impressions so far:
Quests are standard MMO fare with the Guild Wars 2 ad hoc completables in areas. Love the art style of the game & the environments look great. The temporary voice acting they have in there is hilarious. I like the fact that they don't bombard your inventory with ALL THE THINGS like in other F2P games and bag space is not locked behind RL $$ barrier...although there are like a billion currencies to keep track of.
Been playing Paladin and the combat is smooth. The only thing I dislike about combat is the fact that if you have a target and it moves your character is forced to follow the direction it's moving while in mid-animation. So you never really miss with a move, but is annoying when trying to hit with a line attack.
Sound effects are really weird right now...I hear my footsteps the loudest and barely anything else. I hope they fix this soon as environmental sounds really help make an area feel more alive.
I probably will spend 2-3 months in this game and get bored of it unless they have really awesome end game stuff that GW2 did not.

Wishful thinking stuff: For the quests that require you to go on the Aelinet (game's version of the interwebs), I wished it was more active on the player's part where you actually had to go in there and do searches or post on message boards using key words to complete the quest.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I have watched some youtube person's beta video, armor is purely cosmetic and will probably mostly acquired through cash shop. Well that's not too bad, I guess. I like hunting for pretty dresses, but paying for clothes is better than paying to win.

Can't say that I really dig the art direction tho, it's pretty but looks kinda soulless to me so far.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

I've been playing paladin only and am just shy of 1100 prestige. A few things have stood out so far:

-Paladin is pretty fun but for the first 2 or so hours is really weak. I really don't have anything to compare it to but you do not start out of the gate with the greatest kit.
-That being said, once you pick up his LLLR combo and holy ground for infinite anger, his DPS and area clear become substantially better.
-Okki Island is probably the nicest zone I've seen. That's the same one Cao was talking about with the endboss but all 3 of the bosses had actually fun mechanics instead of that Naiori Island 2 boss thing where you smack one back into the shipping container. That was not clear.
-PvP could potentially be pretty fun. There's a lot of cc in play but nothing absolutely bullshitty and everyone has some mitigation stuff in their kit. Rewards are really nice, too.
-Impulse is a cool mechanic.
-I don't know how I feel about the progression so far and speed for acquiring sparks. I've played for a few hours and am at 15% completion for 1 class and I'm maybe 60% of the way to even opening up the full atlas. There is a LOT of poo poo to get done in this game and it's just too early to tell if it's going to be fun.
-I really really like their combat/skill/talent/symbol system. Builds feel tight and aren't 25+ mmo buttons. It feels just enough to not be obtuse.

Has anyone opened up the orders system yet? I know you complete x# of maps and you get a relic but I don't have followers or anything for selection yet. Am I just not there yet?

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

Lux Aeterna posted:

Has anyone opened up the orders system yet? I know you complete x# of maps and you get a relic but I don't have followers or anything for selection yet. Am I just not there yet?

I unlocked my order right before I stopped last night. Was around 1700 prestige I think. I didn't do much with it before logging; recruited one adept and assigned her to a map I had completed. Not sure what that does. After that I was able to assign her to a mission, kinda SWTOR or WoW garrison style. The reward for that appeared to be followers (the currency). I'll look into it a little more today.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

RottenK posted:

I have watched some youtube person's beta video, armor is purely cosmetic and will probably mostly acquired through cash shop. Well that's not too bad, I guess. I like hunting for pretty dresses, but paying for clothes is better than paying to win.

Can't say that I really dig the art direction tho, it's pretty but looks kinda soulless to me so far.

In terms of models, yeah its sort of boring because everyones a human and you cant make aberrations. Some of the zones are pretty cool looking though when there is this sort of clash of technology and a fantasy setting but since they are locked into instances you really cant see all of it. I'd love to see more of the open area zones based on some of the instance areas like the beach zone and the farmlands overrun with evil future moles.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
I'm having a problem where I keep swapping between Paladin and Cryomancer. They're both pretty fun for different reasons. Paladin is as sturdy as you'd expect, with a neat combo system for main attacks. I also enjoy it's animations with the lightning based attacks and I typically like using sword wielders. Cyromancer, on the other hand has such entertaining aoes and makes stuff feel like less of a slog due to how much damage you can put out and how mobile they are. Some very beautiful ice spell animations to boot. Can never get tired of the ice spire you use for your finsher. That, and I got lucky enough to get one of the bonus missions that gives you higher tiered cryomancer skills. Particularly the talent that changes the dodge into an ice slide.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 14, 2015

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Truly the embodiment of a god.

I'm scratching my head when I'm playing this game. It seems neat, I just don't know what to expect of it. I haven't gotten too far, all I know is I will probably play this game when it launches just so I can hear how much worse the voice acting gets.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Yeah I'm only a few of the missions in, just did the one where you fight the bandits and machines in the ruins, I'm enjoying it so far, but don't really know what to expect.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Chocobo posted:

Truly the embodiment of a god.

I'm scratching my head when I'm playing this game. It seems neat, I just don't know what to expect of it. I haven't gotten too far, all I know is I will probably play this game when it launches just so I can hear how much worse the voice acting gets.

I am really glad that Great Character Creation Engine is becoming a thing again. Between this and Black Desert, this will be a silly looking couple of years.

Titus Vespasian
Jan 31, 2015

"The body of a dead enemy always smells sweet."
Can anyone comment yet on solo play? Are the bosses you are talking about all for groups?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Titus Vespasian posted:

Can anyone comment yet on solo play? Are the bosses you are talking about all for groups?

Solo play is entirely doable. Most missions that pop up on the world map are squad, regions and pvp and all of those can be soloed. The only real group content are the ones tagged as "group" and they need 5 people, haven't done one yet.

Squad missions are 1-3 people and are easy to solo even when its higher difficulty. Regions are easy to solo but they go by much faster with someone else helping around because some mobs get a lot of health.

Unrelated- Got to the woodland region and its really pretty, first time the game's started stuttering for me. Got the impulse recharge talent and the burn aoe for the lightbinder and its making the class a whole lot more dynamic, all I want now is the black hole left click charge. The rest of things are mostly support.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Tried the one group dungeon last night as cryo, and oh boy was it terrible. The big issue is that it's at a point when paladins (the only tank you can queue as) don't have any taunt or aggro gen moves and abilities, and lightbinders (the only support) don't have many of their major support besides the shield and damage buffing. So, it still wants 1 tank, 1 support, and 3 dps, but the first two can't actually do their jobs at all yet. This lead to a dungeon run where all three of us DPS kept getting aggro and exploding from the mobs and/or bosses. Things worked better when we focused targeted cause then the berserker ended up tanking OK, but there's no ingame way to mark targets yet. Not to mention no party chat yet either as far as I could see.

Edit: Ugh, and I endlessly get Error Code 2's trying to log in

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 14, 2015

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i thought this was supposed to be a no trinity mmo, like gw2?

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

RottenK posted:

i thought this was supposed to be a no trinity mmo, like gw2?

It seems more like "less trinity". Paladins are considered tanks but I don't think they are meant to always have everything hitting them. Lightbinders are support but they aren't a trinity style healer. It's not clear to me exactly how it is supposed to shake out in dungeons.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Dungeons seem a lot like TESO-style take care of yourself and sometimes help your team kind of stuff. You're your own responsibility and if you have a heal or something maybe use it on a teammate from time to time. Which I'm mostly fine with.

Titus Vespasian
Jan 31, 2015

Yikes, I can't get by the second mission. The factory one. The mob after the line of electric stuff across my path kills me every time. I've tried it many times as both gunner and berserker.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Titus Vespasian posted:

Yikes, I can't get by the second mission. The factory one. The mob after the line of electric stuff across my path kills me every time. I've tried it many times as both gunner and berserker.

The giant mob of little drones or the set of three scissors? If it's the mob of observers berseker or paladin should be able to just AOE and impulse them to death. LMB -> RMB on Paladin will mop them up if they're in a line.

If it's the scissors you need to apply as much damage as possible so you can finisher one of them before they start loving you over with their drone box.

Titus Vespasian
Jan 31, 2015

Orv posted:

The giant mob of little drones or the set of three scissors? If it's the mob of observers berseker or paladin should be able to just AOE and impulse them to death. LMB -> RMB on Paladin will mop them up if they're in a line.

If it's the scissors you need to apply as much damage as possible so you can finisher one of them before they start loving you over with their drone box.

Watched a video and got it, thanks

Titus Vespasian fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 15, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

Titus Vespasian posted:

Haven't been able to get by the first scissors yet. I'll keep trying.

If you've got the stuff to get the shield and charge on paladin they'll both lessen the problems of that immensely. Don't forget about your dodge either, there's no iframes on it but it's invaluable for getting out of their AOE.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Good grief, finally unlocked the overarching ascension atlas and boy is it freaking huge. I was hoping to try and get berserker unlocked during phase 1, but that is super not happening with the scale of this thing. It's mainly connected clusters that all require like 150+ sparks for each node and tons of these clusters just to get to berserker and gunner. You can probably reach the god form, but I don't think it's even unlockable in this phase because it requires some strange currency.

Doing so did allow me to try all the classes in the training hall, and some of them get pretty interesting. Also some neat outfits to boot. For some reason I couldn't do the gunners, but I did get to try all the others.

Archer: Really neat class that has a skill to swap arrow types. Their left click is a simple energy builder, and the charge gives you a piercing shot that also builds energy. Right clicking puts you in lightning, a second time puts you in fire. So, swapping arrows changes your left click and charge to suit.
Lightning left click gives you a static shot that arcs with the charge giving you a piercing static shot.
Fire actually gets two levels of charge: Fire click is a dot, fire charge one is high damage single target, and fire charge two is a medium damage aoe that also drops a dot.
They also get to drop an electric fence around them that paralzes and an aoe dodge attack.

Kinetic: This class is REALLY weird but potentially really amazing. Their main thing seems to be about using lots of telekinetics, fitting given the name. Left click actually has three charge levels: First is a really simple energy builder that does nearly no damage, second shoots out what looks like an energy bolas that hits a bit harder, and the third charge roots you in place and does even more damage and the bola gets wider. Right click gets two charges: Base click is a rock throw and sort of builds up damage as you charge it on the first tier, but if you hit the second charge level it does like twice the damage.
They also can drop a gravity field that slows down enemies, increases the damage enemies take, and also makes you move faster and fly while you're in the zone.
Their next one is you dashing forward in a giant ball that knocks enemies around like bowling pins and does hefty damage.
The third move is an energy wave that has thee charge levels: Base click knocks/damages a single target, charge level one knocks/damages away a cone, and second level charge knocks/damages a full aoe around you.
Fourth is a single target lift that garuntees you crit on them, but will just lower their damage if they can't be lifted.
Fifth is a protective field that absorbs damage and protects from finishing moves.
Lastly they can charge their fists briefly to make their right click turn into punching and gain damage resistance during it.

Gunner: Didn't get to try the gunner beyond the times they lend you it for bonus missions, but I did get a feel for some of it. Mainly has a really cool triple stance system kind of like archer, but you stay in your stances longer. You have two resources on gunner: One for your gattling and another for your artillery. You start with 0 and max energy respectively.
You use your gattling gun to build up energy and as it overheats it seems to fire slower and do less damage. Left click in this mode is a single target gattling fire with right click being gattling sweep that does sweeping (not full cone) damage.
When energy is built with the gattling you can swap to a lightning cannon mode that uses up said energy to fire single target lightning bolts on left click, charge single target laser, or place a circular field that will make the left click shots chain within the whole field and do aoe.
Your artillery mode roots you in place and allows you to do hefty single target damage with lift click that slowly uses your artillery resource. Said resource seems to come back almost as fast as you can use it with left click. Your right click will lock on to targets in far cone and send out seeker missles for really high damage as well.
They also get some shield and another skill I couldn't quite figure out.

Berserker: I don't super get this one right now, even after the training mission, so I may leave this one to someone else.

Slayer: This is just the most ninja class I have ever seen in a game. Pretty fun, but kinda TOO MUCH ninja for me to handle. Mostly involves using your hooks and chains for a fair spread of aoe, single target melee, and single target ranged.
Main left click combo is single target and does good damage at the end of the combo.
Right click shoots out a pair of shurikens on the go that can be charged for a larger and higher damage single shuriken that roots you briefly during it and uses no energy.
Single left and right click gives you a wide circle aoe that swings your chains around and hits everyone around you but doesn't drain energy.
Double left click and a right click gives you a high damage single target somersault of chain slices that also doesn't use energy.
Their first ability is the quintessential ninja teleport to backstab with a stun. Seems as good damage as you'd expect.
Second ability is a neat chain move to either pull yourself to the target or yank them to you if you charge it.
Next ability is a shadow summon that works like cryo's ice statue, but the shadow also does some chain aoe for good damage.
Their last ability is a weird one that puts you in some sort of shadow form that gives you access to a single target shadow chain attack at range for decent damage and a garunteed crit with double damage bonus on the third hit.

Necro: Don't particularly like this class and it feels the weakest of them all so far. It just feels a mess and kind of disjointed. It also has a strange energy mechanic that feels like it takes too long to build for not a strong payoff.
Left click combo shoots out some ethereal scythes that do alright damage.
Right click leaves a slow field that will turn killed enemies into temporary pets. Builds some of the strange energy bar and uses a small bit of health per cast.
Left click/right click combo drops a cursed fire aoe dot for pretty nice impulse damage.
Double left click and right click gives a single target dot that will give you a corpse charge for the next move if it kills the target.
Their first ability uses this charge to drop a flaming green comet on the target that does more damage the more enemies in range.
Second ability summons a mantide woman to deal an aoe and slows enemies. Drains a good chunk of health and builds an okay amount of their energy.
Third ability pulls the enemies under the target area and sends them back a few feet. Looks visually cool.
Fourth ability creates a statue that you will teleport to in a few seconds and heal you for any damage you took during that time.
Last ability puts them into lich form that transfers all the energy you built up to determine the duration. During this time you have a single target attack that stacks life drain on the target that will last a good while even after the lich form ends.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Am I the only one that's disappointed that the gunner class isn't a cowboy? I wanted to be a space cowboy god.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Put on the cowboy hat, shades, and spandex?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I've only played gunner when its up in one of the x2/x3 missions and no, it cant be a cowboy because then you wouldn't have the triple stance insanity that is the gunner.

Jeez its such a complex class. Using the gatling mode overheats the weapon which is represented by the blue bar underneath your health, that also represents the beam rifle energy so it charges as you use gatling abilities. Once gatling is overheated it cuts back the rate of fire so much that you have to switch to beam mode which is all about single fire high damage abilities. Also you'd want to switch to beam mode anyways when you get a impulse charge because its sort of wasted in gatling mode. The red bar under the health bar is your mortars, which is constantly charging when you aren't in mortar mode. Mortars have great sustained damage but leave you completely immobile.

Switching stances involve pressing the Q button. A quick tap switches you between gatling and beam, leaving it pressed for a while switches you to mortar.

These are just the base abilities inherent with the class, the free loadout gave me a teleport, a shield, and some thing I didnt even know what they did. I cant imagine how talents would alter the class further.

Titus Vespasian
Jan 31, 2015

I'm only on about the third mission "Alarming News" and can't get by the final boss, perhaps I've spread myself too thin trying the various classes rather than putting everything into one.

Is there anyway/anywhere to grind to become stronger in between these missions?

Is there anyway to erase your character and start over?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I didnt even think it was possible given that the bosses dont really hit hard. I've cleared instances with hard/very hard as their descriptor without taking much damage from the actual bosses, trash was more dangerous. What boss is it exactly?

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know a good way to get Artifact Tablets? I have a quest where I need to upgrade a chapel in a province, but it bugged out and didn't count towards quest completion, so I need another.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
As far as I know, you get them from having completed an instance 4 times on the same difficulty.

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face
the grind is real

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
All I want is a pretty game with fun combat, that can be played in small chunks. Then I'll just treat is as fantasy Warframe and not care about endgame at all :]

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ok I unlocked the greater atlas and yeah, I think I'm done till the open beta comes out or they up the crystal rate. At first I saw the class atlas and Im going "man this isnt like PoE at all, its so linear" but then I saw the greater atlas and know they weren't kidding. All they have to do is fill in the placebo nodes with more talents and it will be fine.

Still it takes like 15-20 minutes to get a node unlocked and I'm assuming its going to get worse later on, it'll take forever to unlock the cool stuff like double impulse + impulse damage.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ok I unlocked the greater atlas and yeah, I think I'm done till the open beta comes out or they up the crystal rate. At first I saw the class atlas and Im going "man this isnt like PoE at all, its so linear" but then I saw the greater atlas and know they weren't kidding. All they have to do is fill in the placebo nodes with more talents and it will be fine.

Still it takes like 15-20 minutes to get a node unlocked and I'm assuming its going to get worse later on, it'll take forever to unlock the cool stuff like double impulse + impulse damage.

Are there screenshots of it anywhere? And placebo nodes were the thing that killed poe for me. I'd always forget what I was going for next when I got the next point for it, and ended up wandering around the grid aimlessly.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Placebo nodes are nodes that do nothing. They are central nodes with no talent or ability attached to it. There is no reason to go for these as far as I know. Its not like in PoE where everything had a use in particular.

Here's an image I found showing the greater atlas. Each one of those dots represents a central node, they have a bunch of smaller stat nodes around them you have to take to reach the center of it.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Got into this. Had some disposable income, tossed it at it. Anyway, started as the Gunner because it sounded fun. It's interesting, but after a while I was getting kicked around so I swapped to something "tankier" in the Berserker. Holy poo poo once you get the combo rotation down that thing is a murder machine. Plus chainswords. Guess I'll have to name my OB character SPAAAACE MMAAAREEEENE or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Also I played plenty during the days I was going at it and got to like 4k health on my lightbinder with a rating of I think about 3200 prestige rating. I saw people that where at 20k health with ratings of over 15k . I have no idea how they got there so fast unless they have 24 hour bots or something.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 17, 2015

• Locked thread