Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
"I have a dream", "Tear down this wall", "I cannot tell a lie". Everyone knows these famous historical words. However, throughout history there have also been several numbers - this is the thread for those.

RULES [unofficial - I have no moderation powers]
-Numbers ONLY
-Years, ages, quantities, distances etc all welcome
-Have fun :)

This was a great year. Woodstock. The moon landing. And guess what - the last two digits form one of the canonical funny numbers. Amazing.

Amount of Philistine foreskins presented to Saul by David in return for Saul's daughter as a wife.

Amazingly, this used to not even be a number at all, but now most Mathematicians think that it is. Incroyable. Depending on your precise definition, it was invented by the Egyptians or possibly the Indians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
The first year AD AND the last year BC. Yes, there was no 0AD OR 0BC - it just goes straight from 1 to 1.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lately I've liked -1/12

See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-I6XTVZXww

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Four Score and Seven, because the Gettysburg Address was a pretty good speech.

Belome
Jan 1, 2013
490 - number of times Peter has to forgive someone who sins against him.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I like all the weird funny constants that show up in strange places. Pi, e, r , c all the good ones. G, g and the rest.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
The square root of two, the length of the diagonal of a square with side length one. A clever proof shows that if the square root of two were actually the ratio of two integers, then we could produce an integer that is both even and odd. Impossible! Irrefutable proof that the Pythagorean school's philosophy, a perfect world measurable in integer ratios, was wrong. Legend has that a member of the school was drowned after showing this flaw to the outside world.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
I like 419 because Jin Gongdi, age 33, succeeds his developmentally disabled brother Jin Andi as emperor of the Eastern Jin Dynasty. Andi is strangled by orders of the warlord Liu Yu.
and 70 because 17th of Panemos (17th of Tammuz), about July 14) – Sacrifices cease in the temple.[5]

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

you know why

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

i

Not a historical number, but I always liked the idea of an imaginary number. And I like how it was invented.

"We can't go any further with this equation because there is no square root of minus one."

"gently caress it, lets just make one up so we can move on and be in the pub by 4."

Also 5318008, because I owned a calculator when I was 12.

BrigadierSensible has a new favorite as of 04:02 on Mar 9, 2015

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFoC3TR5rzI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

BrigadierSensible posted:

i

Not a historical number, but I always liked the idea of an imaginary number. And I like how it was invented.

"We can't go any further with this equation because there is no square root of minus one."

"gently caress it, lets just make one up so we can move on and be in the pub by 4."

Also 5318008, because I owned a calculator when I was 12.

A very historical number! (Just not a number given to dates.) The number i is fundamental to our ability to solve problems in differential equations, number theory, physics, electrical engineering, and a lot more!

You might also like the quaternion numbers, which go back to 1843. The Irish mathematician Hamilton had been sitting on the idea of extra square roots of -1 for a while, but couldn't figure out how their multiplication should work*. He finally figured it out while taking a walk with his wife, and was so excited he graffitied his equations onto a bridge. Quaternions are pretty useful for modelling Newtonian physics.

*The trick is that ij = -ji. Quaternions are weird.

• Locked thread