Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
-When a 500ml drink bottle lists extremely healthy nutritional information, but in small print it says "based on serving size of 200ml" :what:

-"50% less fat"... uh, less fat than what?

-"Organic" Yeah how about you just gently caress off, mmkay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

no they will not posted:

-When a 500ml drink bottle lists extremely healthy nutritional information, but in small print it says "based on serving size of 200ml" :what:

So I get 2.5x more vitamins?

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
- Saying 0% fat on sweets and fizzy drinks

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
- The word "REAL". Oh, this is REAL ketchup? That's... great. :what:

Belome
Jan 1, 2013
Has antioxidants that neutralize harmful free radicals

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
A $500 value, yours now for just $19.99!

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
When the small print says 76 percent of women agree... based on a sample size of barely more than one hundred. Like, can you not?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Article headlines that go beyond clickbait and into total bullshit that only doesn't count as an outright libel / lie by the most tortured logic. Russian tabloid sites do this a lot more often than English ones (or maybe I don't get a lot of links to English language tabloids on my facebook feed):

"Celebrity was hanged!" - Oh, they've hung his picture in a gallery. Hah.

"Celebrity commits suicide!" - In character, in his latest movie. Jesus gently caress.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Tabloids that refer to celebrities by their first name. Jennifer is preggifer! You are on a first name basis with Jennifer. You are friends with jennifer. You should cover yourself with honey and

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Shouting out 'NEW IMPROVED RECIPE' when they really mean they've replaced expensive ingredients with cheaper alternatives.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
One I see a lot in hair/skincare products 'Contains [fruit/flower extract]' but doesn't explain what benefit that has (probably none, but people think it must be useful or they wouldn't mention it)

Also, 100% natural ingredients/organic. This is meaningless in determining a products safety or quality and organic basically just means 'Paid to have it certified'

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

"Low Carb! Gluten Free!" No poo poo, it's a loving bottle of water.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Contains 25% real juice!.......whats the other 75% then genius.

madlobster
Aug 12, 2003

no they will not posted:

- The word "REAL". Oh, this is REAL ketchup? That's... great. :what:

The alternative is much worse.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

no they will not posted:

- Saying 0% fat on sweets and fizzy drinks

I still remember how my high school biology teacher brought this up because it is 100 % bullshit and a lie if you know anything about sugar.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Buy one get one free*

*You pay additional shipping and handling

If you have to pay ANYTHING, it's not loving free!

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Infomercials at 3am so that fatigue impairs judgment.
Few years back, i feel asleep with the tv on and half woke up at some point to a commercial for a flat iron for your hair. "I would totally use that everyday..." (on my naturally straight hair) I had the number half dialed before I fully woke up and realized what the gently caress i was doing.

contagonist
Jul 21, 2014

You shouldn't be doing anything with fluorine.
Doctors HATE this one housewife who learned a :frogsiren:weird trick:frogsiren: to solve a completely mundane problem!

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Helps lower cholesterol.......as part of a healthy diet

Yeh no poo poo

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

"The ONLY skincare product with Nutrimagidex!"

No poo poo, because it's a name you just made up.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
When they insult my intelligence with the way the item is advertised. You always see it with those black and white commercials for a mundane item. I mean sure, a quicker egg cooker is great. But my family and I aren't all suffering from Alzheimers and start a kitchen fire when we try to cook WITHOUT said item. Just show us the benefits and move on, don't make reality seem terrible because literally no one suffers from this problem.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Sirens in radio commercials

We'll beat anyone's price by $500 or give you the car for free!

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Jastiger posted:

When they insult my intelligence with the way the item is advertised. You always see it with those black and white commercials for a mundane item. I mean sure, a quicker egg cooker is great. But my family and I aren't all suffering from Alzheimers and start a kitchen fire when we try to cook WITHOUT said item. Just show us the benefits and move on, don't make reality seem terrible because literally no one suffers from this problem.

There's got to be a better way

Haruharuharuko has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Mar 9, 2015

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Do the one where the guy drops his drink and bowl of chips right as the big game starts.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Haruharuharuko posted:

These are the best thing. :allears:

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

amityville anus posted:

Do the one where the guy drops his drink and bowl of chips right as the big game starts.

This?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Any advertising that mostly or completely ignores any attempt at using product facts. So, ~90 of all advertising.

See: 90% of car commercials, most egregiously the one where people who "aren't paid actors" my rear end talk about how this guy in front of a pickup is so sexy and the same guy in front of a sedan has no sex appeal.

Or outright misinformation, like the Crest "24-hour effect" whitestrips that need to be applied every 12 hours for best results.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!

Hahaha what the hell?!

Wasn't there a tumblr or something that had all these?

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Haruharuharuko posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHx34pQHLOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
My local buy-everything-here box store has decided it's fun to put more expensive things without price tags in between two of the same sale items while advertising a low price. I've seen it a few times now. LOW PRICES! on the motor oil on the top and bottom shelf, but not on the coolant on the middle shelf which is technically labeled if you go find the tiny stack of them on the other side of the store.

Also, Doctors HATE Him! Sure. I'm sure doctors are just seething at some dude who isn't even a patient of theirs while they roll around in their hottub full of hundreds.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
"What the gently caress did you just say to me, motherfucker!?"
/
Yeah this is it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

sticklefifer posted:

Also, Doctors HATE Him! Sure. I'm sure doctors are just seething at some dude who isn't even a patient of theirs while they roll around in their hottub full of hundreds.

I've seen a variation that says "Doctors are horrified by this incredible whateverblagblah"

I'm not sure if I want to try anything that horrifies medical professionals.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

"This knife never dulls, never breaks!"
*Cut to shot of dude sawing through a 2x4 with it*
"Order now and we'll send you five!"

If it never dulls or breaks, why the gently caress do I need five?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

The Endbringer posted:

"This knife never dulls, never breaks!"
*Cut to shot of dude sawing through a 2x4 with it*
"Order now and we'll send you five!"

If it never dulls or breaks, why the gently caress do I need five?

To avoid cross contamination. You wouldn't want to get raw chicken on your 2x4s now would you?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
50% off everything in store! *

*Excludes a massive list of things.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ElwoodCuse posted:

Sirens in radio commercials

Along the same lines: Florida has a lot of ambulance chasing lawyers and they all advertise on radio and every one of those commercials starts with tires screeching, horns honking, and the sound of a car crash. "Have you been in a car accident?" Well yeah now that I flipped the gently caress out thinking some car next to me was about to crash into me

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Observe Me posted:

Hahaha what the hell?!

Wasn't there a tumblr or something that had all these?

this?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Haruharuharuko posted:

Exactly what I was talking about

Yup thats it. It is actually INSULTING to me because no one behaves that way. Literally no one without a mental deficiency, in which case we shouldn't be advertising to them in the first place, and instead, should be helping them out.

I get mad when I see poo poo like that on TV or on Facebook "Doctors Hate Him". I mentioned this in my insurance thread, but I see those and wonder "what freaking idiot clicks these things"....and then I get calls at my job "I saw this ad online that said I can save $400 a month on car insurance if I follow your special program".

What. The. gently caress. These people actually exist and make those ads profitable.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_pharmaceutical_settlements

Real pharma companies behave in exceedingly scummy ways, too. Almost all of these settlements are for illegally marketing drugs 'off-label' to treat conditions for which they are not approved. This is troubling because there's usually little to no formal evidence that these uses are safe or effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Don't worry consumer, there's no gmos in this bag of chips! Or in these pork rinds!

• Locked thread