Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Mémoires by Asger Jorn and Guy Debord of Situationist International probably deserves a mention here.

It was bound in sandpaper, so it would destroy any books on the shelf next to it, as well as any coffee tables that it was placed on.

The interior is discussions about politics, memories about France and the political situation, and lots of illustrations (some original, some photographs, some stills from films, some newspaper clippings, etc.), covered over with layered ink to connect, censor, and re-contextualize the text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

theradiostillsucks posted:

The band The Durutti Column's first album had an LP sleeve with the same design, apparently. I'm guessing one inspired the other.

The band were big fans, if Wikipedia is to be believed:

quote:

The first album, 1980's The Return of the Durutti Column (title inspired by a 1967 Situationist International poster that includes that phrase), was produced by Martin Hannett. Reilly: "...he more or less got sounds for me that no one else could understand that I wanted. And he understood that I wanted to play the electric guitar but I didn't want this horrible distorted, usual electric guitar sound and he managed to get that." The record featured a sandpaper sleeve (like the title of the record, inspired by a Situationist joke, a book – Guy Debord's Mémoires – with a sandpaper cover to destroy other books on the shelf). "I didn't even know it was going to be an album. It was just the case of jumping at the chance of being in the studio. I actually didn't get up in time, Martin had to physically get me out of bed to get me to the studio – that's how little I believed it would happen. I was still doing late night petrol station shifts. I was even more amazed when Tony presented me with a white label. I was completely baffled. 'What, this is really going to be an album? You must be insane! No-one's going to buy this!' And then Tony got the idea from the Situationists about the sandpaper book, and decided to do some with a sandpaper sleeve. It was Joy Division that stuck the sandpaper onto the card. I was mortified.

I'm going to have to check them out.

• Locked thread