Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

fattredd posted:

Lets talk about books with interesting structure or layout.

I'll start things off with House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. This book is really cool. It has huge amounts of footnotes throughout the story, and as it progresses the layout goes all over the place. http://i.imgur.com/8G8bHJR.jpg I think it makes the whole thing feel like a puzzle, waiting to be put together. It's a really interesting read overall.

You've sold the book shot a little there I think, it's a really interesting read. The bulk of the text is written as a dissertation on a video that the writer of the dissertation has seen, which is framed in the story of a drug addict who has found the notes of the dissertation and becomes obsessed with trying to compile them. The typography/layout mirrors events in the story, e.g. there is a chapter in the 'dissertation' that analyses the idea of a labyrinth, and the chapter itself is written as if it is a labyrinth. Another chapter goes into a lot of details about the nature of sound and the occurrence of echos where he uses a similar approach. I believe there were some paragraphs that were written as morse code to spell SOS etc. It's a very intricate and interesting book* and I like it a lot.

It sort of feels like you're just reading through wikipedia, clicking on links that you think are interesting, constantly changing the subject.

*Or you could call it pretentious and you wouldn't be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread