Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
The People of Paper - Salvador Plascencia (Goodreads link HERE)

This book is one of my absolute favorites, hands down. I found it incredibly moving, the perfect example of accessible postmodernism, and a beautiful tale of love and loss. I recommend it to everyone.

The book is unique in that each page is divided into about two columns, with each column representing a character. It can be a continuation of the scene, told from a different perspective, or it can be a different look at the same situation, much like Rashomon. Things also flip on their side to fit more information in:

However, once the plot reveals itself, characters in the novel require their secrets to be kept - from each other as well as the reader. For this, entire columns and smaller sections are completely blacked out:

The columns and the blacked-out areas are just a small taste of the format changes in the book - it goes to more conventional places, it has another novel within it, etc. It's not necessarily a maze or super-duper dense or anything like that, but it offers some experimentation and choice with how to actually approach the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread