Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synovexh001
Apr 25, 2015
I've got something I think you would like.
I've spent a couple of years writing a novel. It's lots of genres at once, but mostly murder-mystery fantasy horror. I have the prologue in .pdf, and I think it would be right up your alley.
Sadly, I am new and learning the system. Is there a way to post pages? Do I need a website I can upload to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synovexh001
Apr 25, 2015

fattredd posted:

You could share it as a Google Doc or through Dropbox or something

Thanks! I'll try and set one up.
Also, somebody needs to give props to the Codex Seraphinianus. The formatting itself might not count as unusual, but the book itself is wonderfully whimsical. I lucked into finding a copy at my library- it's hardcover and thicker than most college textbooks. There's no story- just hundreds of pages of nonsensical cryptolect script and bizarre, otherworldly sketches- like if Dr. Seuss and Henry Darger spent a month doing peyote until they agreed on a final product. It's like a comprehensive, incomprehensible one-book encyclopedia of an alien landscape that has never existed.
According to the decodex in the back of the book, it was written by an Italian architect in Rome in the 60s, who credits its creation to a white adopted stray cat who would lie on the back of his neck as he worked and send him signals through his amygdalae. 10/10 I would recommend this book to anyone.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Synovexh001
Apr 25, 2015
I did it! Took some formatting, but enjoy!
Chapter 1 is relevant with the quirky formatting, but I included the prologue and Chapter 2 in case it catches any interest.
I've never read House of Leaves, but I'll admit inspiration from Untitled Document, John Dies at the End, and HP Lovecraft.
Also, let's see if I can figure out how to format in BBcode!

:boom:

Synovexh001
Apr 25, 2015

fattredd posted:

Looks like the chapter 2 link is private. The formatting of chapter 1 certainly lends to the scatter-brained pain this guy is going through though. The lack of punctuation on the single line thoughts also help give a sense of urgency. Cool so far!

I'd love to give chapter 2 a look!

Awhoops! I'm kinda clumsy with computer matters. Let me know if this one doesn't work;
Chapter 2
I'm very tickled that you enjoyed my writing! Chapter 2 settles more into the format of a typical novel, albeit some quirky formatting ideas. Kill Dozed mentioned the publishing company Visual Editions, and I'm planning on contacting them to hopefully collaborate on editing and publishing, I think this book would be a perfect project for them.

I think the only formatting concepts that are appropriate to this thread are the first and very last chapter of the book. I meant it for the first and last chapters to be unique in ways that are similar but- well, have a look. I'll post it if you're curious, there are some serious spoilers but hopefully you'll forget it in the time it takes to get published!
WARNING
SPOILERS
Chapter The Last

Synovexh001
Apr 25, 2015
It's not in English, but I think it still deserves some props;
Xuanji Tu, the Palindrome Poem

In the Jin dynasty, a woman names Su Hui was married to a man named Dou Tao, in the Gansu province. Dou Tao was exiled to a desert, away from his wife, but swore he would never marry another woman. As soon as he arrived in the desert, he married another woman. Su Hui composed a poem consisting of a 29x29 grid of characters and sent it to Dou Tao. Dou Tao immediately left his desert wife and returned to Su Hui, supposedly because of a hidden meaning that only he could discern. The poem can be coherently read left-right top-bottom, tb-lr, rl-bt, bt-rl, diagonal, or divided into specific grids. Ming dynasty scholars purportedly discovered over 7,000 different messages to interpret from the same poem.

Think about that, this is some Lovecraftian-level obsessiveness to the point of madness. It's a good think Su Hui was preoccupied with being a jealous wife, I have no doubt she could have just as easily orchestrated some profane mesh of text to rip a hole in reality so Zalgo can take His throne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synovexh001
Apr 25, 2015
It's a bit of a stretch, but is there room here for the Koran?

People who were born and raised under threat of punishment for disagreeing with its contents insist it is the most perfect and flawless document ever created. They even have many objective proofs of the fact that it was divinely inspired.
But reader beware! This book is rumored to be the modern publishing title of the dread codex al-Azif, wrought by Abdul Al-Hazred. It's twisted, labyrinthine calligraphy is designed with the purpose of warping the minds of men into trading their wills and their soul to the faceless being which inspired the author. Power, delight and a paradise of sex and abundance is promised to those that die fighting in the name of the eldritch text, and a dark and terrible doom is the promised fate of all who would mock the unseen master, as well as apostates seeking freedom from the powerful soul-vows demanded of acolytes.

• Locked thread