Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I like dill pickles but I tend to like the ones they use in restaurants more than anything you can buy in a regular store. The floppy kind of sad looking ones, but wow I can eat them up. Does anybody know?

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

take normal pickles and rub them with waiter spit

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

the digestive enzymes will soften the skin and give you the flop that can't be top(ped)

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
this is a serious thread jackass

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Voted 5.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Since most restaurant food comes from Sysco, I suggest you go to the Sysco planet and ask the giant space slug to poo poo some out for you.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Buy the cheapest fresh pickles you can find, freeze them, defrost in a microwave, throw them back in the fridge. They will be rubbery and limp enough to pass as lovely restaurant or deli pickles.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
you mean the slices that come on burgers or the spears that come with deli sandwiches?

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
You probably want kosher dills. Have you tried Bubbies? They are as close as you can get to restaurant style. Health food stores tend to carry them since they have no preservatives.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Uh did you try the grocery store OP?

If you want literally the same pickles they come in 5 gal buckets and you can get them from Sysco food supply.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
the ones you are talking about are just generic dill spears that have been sitting in the brine too long and went rubbery

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PokeJoe posted:

Uh did you try the grocery store OP?

If you want literally the same pickles they come in 5 gal buckets and you can get them from Sysco food supply.

i could get you a lifetime supply of these things but youd have to make it worth my while

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

When I was working in a kitchen, some lady came back to tell us she loved the ranch dressing we used and wanted us to get her some, so on the next order we added an extra gallon tub of lovely Sysco-brand ranch and charged her wholesale for it, so you should probably just go to a local restaurant and say you want them to order you a 5gal tub of Block & Barrel pickles (that's the Sysco pickle brand) and see if they'll do it. Try it with enough restaurants and one of them is bound to help you out.

JiimyPopAli
Oct 5, 2009
Don't you just love the sound two pickle slices make when you rub them together?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
to possess the pickles you must first become a pickle

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Be careful not to accidentally end up with a pickle creature instead of just a pickle. You can purchase a book on the dangers of this situation by noted pickle expert Daniel Pinkwater.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Pickles are really good and I love a good deli kosher dill pickle so I fully support this thread.

Look for resturant supply stores in your area maybe? Or go to a deli and just ask where they get theirs!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Chinatown posted:

Pickles are really good and I love a good deli kosher dill pickle so I fully support this thread.

Look for resturant supply stores in your area maybe? Or go to a deli and just ask where they get theirs!

They either make them, or get them from Sysco or another giant food service company (probably Sysco).

This is true of drat near everything you find in most restaurants, except ones that use specialty or extremely high-quality ingredients.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I love restaurant dill pickles and I've never been able to match the taste anywhere else.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
So all restaurants in the us get their supplies from the same megacorp? lol

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
yes

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

oliwan posted:

So all restaurants in the us get their supplies from the same megacorp? lol

All? No. A large majority? Probably, yes. At least for "staple" items. Its pretty common in other countries IIRC.

US Foods, Sysco, Shamrock Foods, are ones that I can think of locally.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
sound like some dystopian nightmare

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

oliwan posted:

sound like some dystopian nightmare

Yet food saftey in the US is extremely good. And the so is the quality of the food.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Bunn sells it too but yeah p. much most places use the same suppliers. Where did you think it came from?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I always keep a jar of Claussen pickles in my fridge because I am an adult with good taste.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Chinatown posted:

Yet food saftey in the US is extremely good. And the so is the quality of the food.

lmao its so safe and high quality that first world nations tend to outlaw their import :v:

mkdnn02
Jan 26, 2004
The sysco brand block and barrel as said above are pretty decent for restraunt pickles. They come in the 5 gallon buckets and I think in 2.5 as well. We had a waitress who bought two five gallon buckets of them in a month. It was obscene. Yeah she was pregnant but those drat buckets holdover 300 pickles.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

mkdnn02 posted:

The sysco brand block and barrel as said above are pretty decent for restraunt pickles. They come in the 5 gallon buckets and I think in 2.5 as well. We had a waitress who bought two five gallon buckets of them in a month. It was obscene. Yeah she was pregnant but those drat buckets holdover 300 pickles.

Yeah, and if you get a bucket of them, you should also pick up a pail opener from amazon or wherever:

Otherwise you're going to tear your fingers up trying to pry the lid off.

f0rce
Aug 26, 2007
<^.^>
^ I just wanted to make sure someone mentioned the bucket opener. Im a big guy and I still reach for one when opening a bucket. There a bitch!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If you're not going to open a lot of buckets a screwdriver will do the job just fine.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
what's the over/under for buckets of pickles per month to get a bucket opener?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
like 1 if its every month. you slip with a screwdriver you could seriously hurt yourself.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
What if I buy two buckets of pickles every three months, should I buy a bucket opener?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

oliwan posted:

what's the over/under for buckets of pickles per month to get a bucket opener?

They're 2 bucks.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Arnold of Soissons posted:

lmao its so safe and high quality that first world nations tend to outlaw their import :v:

99 times out of 100 this is about industry protectionism. Or some other nonsense, EU food rules can be incredibly dumb.

tsa fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 12, 2015

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Chinatown posted:

All? No. A large majority? Probably, yes. At least for "staple" items. Its pretty common in other countries IIRC.

US Foods, Sysco, Shamrock Foods, are ones that I can think of locally.

Sysco owns US Foods so the pool is even smaller.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

There's also GFS. Sorry for people's worlds being shattered that large food distributors exist.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

beejay posted:

There's also GFS. Sorry for people's worlds being shattered that large food distributors exist.

I thought that was Canada-only... hmm, interesting.

GFS seems slightly less terrible than Sysco, for what it's worth.

I think all those companies also have their tentacles in related industries, like selling menu covers and that sort of stuff. If you're a restaurant, you best stay on their good side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

PT6A posted:

I thought that was Canada-only... hmm, interesting.

GFS seems slightly less terrible than Sysco, for what it's worth.

I think all those companies also have their tentacles in related industries, like selling menu covers and that sort of stuff. If you're a restaurant, you best stay on their good side.

Definitely plenty of GFS in Indiana, at least. Anybody can just walk into one of those and buy pickles by the gallon. No need for a membership, super easy.

• Locked thread