Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Do we get to pick our dragon? I want to pick my dragon.

http://www.purpleworm.org/rules/

Topaz dragons are unfriendly and selfish. Though not malevolent, they are seldom pleasant to deal with because of their erratic behavior. Topaz dragons neither seek company nor welcome it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
##vote somberbrero :toot: got to keep up something awful mafia's longest consecutive dunk streak :toot:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Poison Mushroom posted:

Somber, is everything okay in your life right now? :smith:

some say we should keep personal remorse from the
lynch,
stay abstract, and there is some reason in this,
but jezus;
twelve games gone and no more are open
are you trying to crush me out like the rest of them?
why didn't you take my avatar? they usually do
from the sleeping drunken pants sick in the corner.
next time take my left arm or a fifty
but not my posts:
I'm not Tao Jones
but sometime simply
there won't be any more, abstract or otherwise;
there'll always be jokeposts and whitenoise and drunk posting
down to the last lynchbomb,
but as Mod said,
crossing his legs,
I see where I have made plenty of posters
but not so very much
posting.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Somber it looks like you are attempting to make a joke. have you changed your mind about joke phase?

Jokephase is always dumb unless I have a joke.

For real though, I sign up for games generally to try and play Mafia. I like chatting with you all in the discussion thread.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ernie. posted:

this is a lie

i have a 2-shot lie detector that i hate so i'm wasting twice on d1

haha

I'm dumb but I believe this.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Wow now I bet Ernie is wishing he could use it on this post.

I think Ernie is cool.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
If Ernie is for real I think there's a chance that Ram got overexcited as town. His phrasing in particular is kind of bizarre. That said I would rather dunk and see than play with that doubt.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
While my initial instinct is to dunk RAM on principle for lying, knowing that he's for sure not a Miller does give us an opportunity to check whether he's just The Worst town.

However, we're missing the bigger picture. We can get a close to mod-confirmed town day one. Actually, we could have got two if Ernie had been more prudent.

Ernie, I do not have the ability to kill at night.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Well luckily, Ernie can verify that it is not.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CapitalistPig posted:

ernie and somberero are lying liars.

ernie isnt a lie detector.

i mean, yeah ernie is probably lying but what if he isn't?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

TheRam posted:

Hey Somberbrero are you like, for real? Or are you just doing things. I don't want to step on your toes if you're doing a thing, I can respect that.

But I just want to know because I might dayvig you that was pretty scummy and awkward. It's a well known fact that I am an excellent townsman, who cares deeply about finding scum because I like to win. So much so that some have called me mean or oppressive.

So let me know bro.

You shouldn't shoot me, but I bet that you don't have a gun!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

TheRam posted:

idc I'm cuuuhhhraaazzy maybe you should answer my question

What question? You're posting like a crazy person.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

TheRam posted:

I asked you if you were serious about your bad read on me or if you were saying things just to get the ball rolling.

I said I respect if it's the latter, but I need to know sadly because I think it might be the former and think it'd be funny if I shot you! (okay, it's not being shot, lol, it's an elder dragon secret how I would annihilate you).

Smear the nearest window in butter, grab a handful of rice - not too much, you need to shake the rice violently for 4 seconds and then throw it at the window. It will all be revealed by what sticks.

Well if Ernie is serious then you made a bad play for town and I don't like how you played your Miller claim. You seem more overexcited than anything, though. I'd be happy enough to dunk you today but you wouldn't be my first choice.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Poison Mushroom posted:

What is your full role, Ram?

Poque has a point here. Not so much on rolefishing, but it's kind of strange to still be taking Ram seriously.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

TheRam posted:

If I can't convince the thread to lynch you then I might still use my vig on you.

I don't think you have a vig and you're a butt.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
If Cpig lives through tomorrow I am twelve hundred million per-cent confirmed town.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

TheRam posted:

Using my dayvig in 4 hours so there is still time to have a productive day after the flip I don't trust people not to be under-active.

atm it's somberbrero getting dead, I kinda wanna do merk but I'm assuming he does actually intend to play the game.

any objections?

Uh yeah don't shoot me with our imaginary vig please.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
##vote TheRam

Attempting to guide the game narrative to no real purpose. He's establishing an active, forward role in discussion but doesn't seem to have anything to say. No offense, Ram.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

TheRam posted:

I wish ecco was in this game it would be satisfying to vig ecco.

Then we'd all have to listen to him talk about how that was a suboptimal play and you clearly got lucky and the game was broken.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

TheRam posted:

This answers the age old question of eccos gender, I always assumed it was like a tumblerite girl, who might use different pronouns out of respect to transgenders.

somber what if I told you that you voting me was a last ditch attempt to avoid getting killed and I think you'd be better served not omgus'ing me.

everything has a purpose, even if I was a babbling loon you'd surely want to pick through the responses as a townsperson?

seems pretty scummy to wanna kill the most active player on D1!

amoeba you're correct, I think you have to remember that I played like pretty much every active game and have a bad memory, I remember you being quite a chilled dude but I am loving your recent posts more. I like brazen silliness. Especially when it's not accompanied by an "I'm too cool for this" apathy slant.

I have no idea as to Ecco's correct gender and he refuses to be straightforward so whatever.

I'd say that you're wrong because I'm town. And, no, just because you are active it does not mean that you are town ether. I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat but you're posting like you're high at best.

It's disingenuous to call this an OMGUS vote. You're demanding a lot of attention but you're not really advancing opinions or pushing for anything besides a dunk on me because(???). What was your argument before my last post?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Poison Mushroom posted:

TheRam, don't vig Somber. Not because I think he's town or scum, but because he's been dead by the end of D1 in like his last 12 games, and I think it's getting to him. :smith:

TheRam, don't vig Somber because you don't have a vig.

There are always more games :kheldragar:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

D1 is so ridiculous. We all joke post and then people try to pick apart the bullshitting to try and find scumminess. It's so silly. The only way to get info is to lynch someone so we can see the flip and start putting the pieces together.

Unfortunately we have to make that decision with basically no information. It might look like I'm bandwagoning here, but, like I said, lynch is the only way for us to get info. ##vote MC ED

Well sure, I'd lunch Narco for this post.

Lumpen posted:

Somber and MCED and anyone else trying to get traction on TheRam for "lying" likely flip Scum. Nobody is sincerely that dumb, but it's understandably tempting for a Scum to feign easily to find a place to drop a vote.

I clearly don't know Town Lumpen as well as I thought after your play in The Room but I'm having difficulty believing that this is the best you can do day one.

TheRam posted:

Haha I like you.

I won't use my imaginary vig on you, friend.

Also I'm not high I literally cannot mafia at all whilst I'm high. I think anyone who knows me knows what's up here.

I'm a bit loosey goose because I'm currently writing my dissertation and it's stressful as balls so I ain't comin' online to get mad at something.

Thanks but I'm a little weirded out that you just dropped this. What was the point of our previous discussion from your perspective?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

TheRam posted:

Somberbrero I'm not going to dignify dumb questions like that with a response. If you want to talk about it, you tell me what you think my perspective was.

Why not?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

TheRam posted:

You asked a dumb question with really an obvious answer. I am confirmed town to myself, and I know I have nothing to gain by answering it so why would I entertain a possible scum on such a tedious line of inquiry!

You've spent way more effort avoiding answering the question than it would actually take to just answer the question. Please do so, thank you!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
It really isn't a hard question, Ram.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Why is everyone excited to lunch Ernie for lying but giving TheRam multiple free passes?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I've seen it multiple times. Anyone who ignores content day one is just preparing to fail day two.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
If Ernie is lying as town then why would Cpig necessarily be scum?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

TheRam posted:

a ha ha ha ha ha

what?

pray tell my friend!

TheRam posted:

confirmed

Okay, I mulled this over I checked with Opopanax that I was allowed to behave however I wanted.

I have an ability to friendship check, I was allowed to do this N0, presumably it's not in my favour to do so because of ambiguity and basically being a wild stab in the dark but I chose to do it anyways. I chose Lumpen.

Dear Lumpen, please tell the thread why you came up as "foe" also lol haha suck it bitchhhhhhh!

sorry though I do actually feel bad I shoulda targeted whoever I thought would lurk but this is funnier

also who are the newbies? any newbies?

lie

TheRam posted:

So on a more serious note I am a miller, don't waste cop investigations on me.

lie

TheRam posted:

Hey Somberbrero are you like, for real? Or are you just doing things. I don't want to step on your toes if you're doing a thing, I can respect that.

But I just want to know because I might dayvig you that was pretty scummy and awkward. It's a well known fact that I am an excellent townsman, who cares deeply about finding scum because I like to win. So much so that some have called me mean or oppressive.

So let me know bro.

lie

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Ram, meta arguments are very rarely useful. Engage my content on its own terms if you happen to be town and want a productive discussion.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Ernie and Pig, I really don't care.

It doesn't matter how many games I've died in a row on day one or why I have died. Just play the game. If you think I'm scum, make a good argument and dunk me.

Ram is currently voting me almost entirely in response to me asking him to answer a simple question, which he still has not answered. Again, Ram, if you thought I was scum, why were you willing to drop your suspicion so quickly? The move to MC does not look at all natural.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CapitalistPig posted:

Putting someone on ignore because they caught you in a lie.

scummy thing to do.

I guess I'm scum now.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CapitalistPig posted:

You put someone on ignore because they caught you in lie in this game?

It was a joke about putting you on ignore, because I don't think what you're doing is helpful.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CapitalistPig posted:

So it isnt helpful to call someone out for lying and say they are scum when they react poorly to it?

I don't trust you. I trust Ernie slightly more. I think this is probably very frustrating to Ernie which explains the reaction.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Lying doesn't necessitate scum. If you equivocate lying with scum, why haven't you called out Ram?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

TheRam posted:

Here we have the wild Somberbrero undermining his own vote on me.

I'm not voting you for lying. I think you probably know that. I'm voting you because your behavior is inconsistent with a town perspective.

Why drop your suspicion on me after pressuring me with the threat of a vig kill when I respond well, only to then jump on MCED for, as you said, no reason? Not only that, but your stated opinions on MCED make no sense.

TheRam posted:

Over all I feel pretty content to kill MC ED and I am now happy there are enough things to read into about this whole ordeal.

Except a couple hours previous,

TheRam posted:

See I'm not sure if this is a dumbpost, a scumpost or a combination of the two. You said you were suspicious of me and in the same breath said "he's also confusing me" which is an easy thing to point to when I flip town to say "oh man that TheRam guy tricked me with his weirdness grrrr theram we needed you!". Over all your style makes me feel like you're new and that's actually something you'd do, like pretty much word for word.

I didn't do anything particularly egregious, I continued to tell lies to make the start of the game less poo poo until I decided to stop. It's pretty simple, friend!

That said, I still want to kill you. I want to hear from Lumpen too.

Are you ~conflicted~ over whether MC is new or scum, or are you confident?

and then after you state that you are content to kill MC, you turn back towards me.

because i asked you to answer a question

TheRam posted:

Hey MC ED, take a chill pill bud. The reason I wanted you to give reads was in case you're scum, not if you're town. Town wouldn't know poo poo at this stage so we shouldn't really care that much about town guesses, but a newbie scum may be pretty bad at covering his or her tracks!

Anyways, your role is funny and you seem sad and I don't want to kill you now.

I guess I believe you saying I've done confusing poo poo beyond jokephase but these things aren't like clearly delineated and D1 is a crapshoot full stop where the best you can do is make content, that's obvious to people who've played much and part of the reason why:

##vote Somberbrero

Part of why I want to kill Somberbrero is all this disingenuous talk about my play, I think he knows better. I just do what I can do to make the game start and have fun, his questions about that just feel weird, and I don't like them. I feel more like he's trying to advance the goal of a potential lynch on me for doing things that require me to be put more readily on the firing line in a kind of lazy sloppy way that vaguely resembles towniness.

I don't really see a town motivation for that stuff, it's possible I am just that confusing to him but I dunno, I'm sure we've crossed paths before.

I have a bit of an unfair preference to kill someone that I don't really know, though, I think I'd feel bad about murdilating Somberbrero but at the same time I think he deserves it most atm.

I mean, right off the bat your reasoning is completely made up, as was your reasoning on me. "I like you" and "You seem sad" are not valid points in Mafia. You're clearly scum hiding behind jokes and emotion to distance yourself from your play.

I dare anyone to explain the above italicized part from a town perspective. Here's my best read.

1) "Somberbrero should know better than to talk about my play." Why should I know better? Why is Ram off limits to questions and criticism? All I asked him to do was explain the switch from me to MC and freaking out about that is not a town reaction.

2) "Somberbrero just wants to lynch me, he doesn't care about my alignment." Why would I antagonize a claimed vig? Why would I deliberately draw attention to this discussion? If I pushed a lunch on a town vig, I have no doubt that vig would shoot me. Ram is scum and not a vig, but that's his stated position.

3) "Oh geez I'm so conflicted about killing the person I've been saying I am going to kill all game." laffo

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Poison Mushroom posted:

CPig is coming off as way worse in this exchange. My feeling is that Ernie pretending to have a lie detector role in order to facilitate discussion is definitely something he would do. But CPig counter-lying in order to see if Ernie is scum is also something he would do. So there's not much meta to read out of this. I just kind of have to go with my gut, that CPig is still pushing for a real lynch on what is now revealed as a D1 discussion fakeclaim, and that it bothers me how he's going about it.

##vote CPig

I'd like to hear what you think about Ram.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Poison Mushroom posted:

Ram seems to be going for a lot of low-hanging fruit in regards to who is most "obviously" scummy. But I'm not sure if that's newbie town who doesn't know what the gently caress, or newbie scum who isn't good at pretending he doesn't know what the gently caress. I'd like to see how (or if) his views develop into day 2 and beyond before I make a call either way.

I don't think you're scum, Somber, but I can see why people would think you are. You've been a lot more intuitive and emotional recently than you used to be. Before, you were more reserved and insightful, and I think you were a better Mafia player because of it. You actually really remind me of myself back when I was going through my own spurt of getting constantly lynched on D1.

You're not actually saying anything here. Make an alignment call on Ram please, preferably with citations.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hal Incandenza posted:

Seems like Cpig is full of crap to me.

However I don't see why you would paint TheRam as scummy

I laid it out pretty comprehensively.

Poison Mushroom posted:

My call on TheRam is that I don't have a call on TheRam.

That is the only bad call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Rurea posted:

I am, however, town. And this slapfight is making me not want to read this game. So I think I will take a look at some other folks. Stand by.

I'm super sorry that me playing Mafia makes you not want to play Mafia.

• Locked thread