Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Computer in question:

If its not obvious I can't run most of the games installed on this system. They mostly crash at the loader screen. After doing research, the issue seems to be too many drat cores?!

So other than disabling cores in the BIOS, are there any tricks to getting games like Farcry 4 to work with this monster system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SamDabbers posted:

Have you tried setting processor affinity?

Just tried a few combinations of settings for this and nothing seemed to affect it.. IE, instant crash at loader screen.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

1gnoirents posted:

Might be kind of extreme but perhaps pull a cpu out and try again. At least it might let you know

I can disable a CPU by adding a jumper on the motherboard but that isn't acceptable for this box. The answer seems to be.. use a different computer. This particular box was setup to do audio production and although it does work for that, I didn't design it and some of the choices the people made are not appropriate for a DAW.. like putting in a 3D video card and trying to run games. Oh well.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

gary oldmans diary posted:

Have you attempted the fix that dual-core gamers used to make Far Cry 4 think they had 4 cores as it prefers? (https://cpucorefaker.codeplex.com/)
Also, when you set processor affinity did you specify the first 4 cores? Are you setting affinity in Task Manager after it starts or starting it with affinity set (start /affinity 15 farcry4.exe (where 15 is the decimal representation of cores 0-3 in binary 00001111B))?

K I did try the start affinity using a batch file., though, I may have done it wrong. I'll try a few more times.

The cpucorefaker looks interesting but there is nothing to download except source code?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Factory Factory posted:

IIRC it's a problem with sockets, not cores. Some games can't handle the way memory is managed in dual-socket systems.

Yeah I am getting nowhere with this machine. Since it was not really for gaming in the first place I am recommending building a separate box. With the amount of money dumped into this thing, i'm sure the owner can buy something else as well.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yes this is not my personal machine. That was just some crap Gateway monitor for diagnosing problems. No worries folks! The number of CPUs does indeed matter for a DAW for plugins but... This dude has massive outboard DSPs.. racks of em, so CPU matters less in this case. Truth be told this machine was an 'Audiophile' box. Which basically means completely bullshit. It came with a modded Corsair PSU that had pieces of metal shoved into gaps between components:

Like I said, dude in question has money to buy a gaming box and that is what he will be doing.

• Locked thread