Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

axolotl farmer posted:

You don't need to add sugar to bread dough to make it rise. It just takes a little longer without it since the yeast will have to process starch instead of just fermenting pure sugars.

Correct. I made a loaf of Pane Rustico morning from dough I made at about 9pm last night with only 1/4 teaspoon of yeast, and 1/4 teaspoon of sugar to 5 cups of flour. So, you don't need gobs of either ingredient, it'll just take it 12 hours to rise.

Yeah, those are some home made soft pretzels too (I started with 2 dozen, and they only lasted about 6 hours).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

NotAnArtist posted:

I would eat this

It's really awesome too, and it's also pretty much the only effective way to cook them because they're (for the most part) so little. If you were to try and fillet a typical bluegill, you'd get a piece of boneless meat about the size of an American half-dollar. But, that said, if you don't mind picking around the bones, the meat is extremely non-fishy, and in any typical American stream, river, or lake, you can usually hook dozens of them in one sitting.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It's quite common for stouts, lagers and ales

Yeah, Guinness clocks in at 4.0%. Like Marzen/Vienna, it's a beer designed to be consumed in large quantities without trashing you too much, too fast.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Why does the system even allow you to add 10x anything? Even if you just went with a normal burger and, say, 10x bacon, it would already be ridiculous. 4x is probably the practical limit for any ingredient. :psyduck:

Well, he did make it clear..

FOR :science:!

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Tomatillos were mentioned before, and I have to add that I grew them one year. I'm really into gardening, and I wanted to make home made Mexican Salsa Verde so I started some from seed, and planted about 6 or 8 bunches of them in my vegetable garden. They labored along for quite some time, and I was actually losing hope in that they would produce. Then, we had a period of hot weather, relatively heavy rain, and the warmish weather, and they went loving APE poo poo! I mean, I ended up with a gigantic tomatillo hedge that was 6 feet square, and at least 5 feet high. I still have canned tomatillos, straight up frozen tomatillos, tomatillo soup (which is very good by the way), and dried tomatillos (which taste pretty much like grass). Even after the first heavy frost, they kept blossoming, and I had to finally rip them out to kill them.

Beware of the tomatillo (but it is a really awesome, and unique vegetable/fruit which I highly recommend.)!

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Senior Scarybagels posted:

We get them in droves here in Kansas; I dunno why NYC doesn't, maybe you're going to the wrong areas?

Try a Latino grocery?

Or a Whole Foods or something hippie like that? They really are an interesting plant. Husk Tomatoes are like giant Gooseberries. They're related. The taste is far more "fruit-like" rather than "tomato-like". They're good, but when you get bushels of them like I did, you get tired of them very quickly.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Looks like Japanese cream soup on top of rice with a hamburg steak? gently caress, I'm pretty sure I had that several times in my high school years.

Would, unashamedly

I totally agree. That actually looks really good. Maybe a bunch more mushrooms in the gravy(?)

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Are you Canadians telling me you've never heard of or been to:

There's one in Niagara Falls, ON, and when we go, it's drat difficult for me not to eat every single meal in there. I think they opened one up in the US somewhere in California.

https://smokespoutinerie.com/

Anyway, it's probably been posted before, but the Cookingforbae Instagram page is a gold mine.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

cash crab posted:

I've been looking for the name of that account forever!

There's like, 80 Smoke's in Toronto. They're not bad, but they get a little too messy for my taste a lot of the time. However, they're opening a wiener shop ("Grab your wiener here!" is the actual tagline) near my place. When they open, I'll let you know.

Having, like, zero poutine around here, my biannual visit to Smoke's is like Nirvana. I do make it myself, but Smoke's gravy is really good.

They would make a killing if they opened one up near every college campus everywhere. It's the perfect drunk food.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

poop dood posted:

what the gently caress is chicken salt

Probably this stuff:

http://www.zehndersstore.com/productpages/Zehnders_Chicken_Seasoning.htm

Zehnder's in Frankenmuth, MI used to be an annual stopping point for my family when we were travelling through Michigan.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

This popped up in a 60s and 70s advertisement Facebook group.

Christ. Just look at the recipe.

I'm a child of the 60s and 70s and I never, ever had to eat crap like that.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

C.P.A.N. posted:

Meat and egg. Read the recipe.

I really wasn't horrified until the tin of spaghetti.

Yeah, it was the spaghetti that threw me too. It was not looking half bad up until that point.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

I wonder if you could carbonate Sambuca

I would think that whatever booze you're working with would have to have a fairly high water content like maybe 80 proof vodka. Can pure ethanol be carbonated? Anybody have a Sodastream and a fifth of Everclear?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

I have a job and make money. I've had this for dinner several nights a week, just because I like it.

I'm a broken human, aren't I?

I have a job and make good money too, and one of my favorite things is walking through the kitchen grabbing the jar of chunky peanut butter, grabbing a monstrous spoonful, and then walking off, slowly eating the peanut butter off the spoon. Pisses my wife right the hell off. No, bro, we're not broken, we've adapted.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Tree Goat posted:

As a reminder "deep fried steak cubes with dipping sauce" is a real thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chislic

Served with saltines for flavor+extra salt.

Looks essentially like beef (any meat really except maybe fish because it probably would fall apart) hot oil fondue which has been around for a long time.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

cash crab posted:

Deal. Except I live in Ontario, where beer is only sold in sixpacks at, and I wish I was kidding, the aptly named Beer Store. I believe the cheapest is Laker Ice which is 5.5% and tallboys run about $1.90 a can.

The Beer Store is the most amazing place. When my family and another make our annual "commute" to Niagara Falls, ON, the Beer Store is where we get our industrial sized quantities of really good Canadian beer. Also, it's the only place where I had a portrait of Queen Elizabeth staring at me at checkout (at least the one out on Lundy Lane did). This place is designed for PRO beer drinkers!

Witnesseth:

Just look at that sheer industrial-strength beer-drinking utopian beauty!

Thank you Canada, thank you, for not only Poutine, but THE BEER STORE!

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

cash crab posted:

To counteract this woeful review, please watch this video about a tiny Japanese pizza-making kit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R06wOny6Uk8

I love this guy's videos. They're weirdly soothing, and the level of detail is on par with the folks who "review" military MREs.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Raw beef ftw. None of you plebes have ever tried proper Italian Beef Carpaccio?

Sorry Pittsburgh-havers, I'm a Cleveland-ite, but I am taking a road trip soon to the Ptown to visit a HS buddy. Yins have some pretty awesome breweries he tells me.

After knowing how it's made, I just can't handle Haggis. I mean... just look at it.

Yeah, it's what you think they are, but they're rooster.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

axolotl farmer posted:

I'm a professional bugologist, and those are a bunch of inedible bugs that are pretty much made of shell and nasty bits.

Thank God it's a photoshop, then.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

poo poo, that's our model. That there is a Presto for sure.

We use ours this time of year (NE Ohio) constantly because vegetable garden. I rebuild it once every 2 or 3 seasons which involves new gaskets, safety release, etc., and I'm happy to say that we've not had any "catastrophic deconstructions".

They do sound pretty drat scary when they're operating normally though, especially when you're pushing 12-13 psi. There's always bits of water coming out and sizzling away, steam being released in a bunch of places, the whole loving thing seems on the verge of an explosion. Freaks the cats right the gently caress out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_THHP4j0oa0

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Polegrinder posted:

Oh hey I used to eat that when I ate meat.

The "foam" around the rim is pretty disconcerting.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Right. :wtf: is this? Is it some sort of sea creature?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

A friend linked me this a few minutes ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K0sFKg7M4s

I have stared into the abyss.

Dude's like the Masaokis from across the sea.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

Foam is not a food. It can be on my beer, used to shave with or to put out a fire, But it is never to be considered a food.

Tiggum, can you weigh in here and let us know exactly how to classify food foam?

Regarding eating nuisance animals, I've had Groundhog jerky before, and it was actually quite good.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Railing Kill posted:

Some of this makes me irrationally angry. When I hear "pisketti," I just about lose my mind.

Don't forget "shaky cheese". Like, "Do you want some shaky cheese with your pisketti, hun?"

:suicide:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

cash crab posted:

You're kidding, right? Someone said this?

Southwestern Ohio? You betcha. That's why I ran away from there screaming.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

I'm a little late for spaghetti-chat, but, anyway, here...

Jesus.

:barf:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

God look at that color.. and the sheer VOLUME! I can't even imagine the cloying taste of that much Cheeze Whiz in one dose.

Now I'm loving nauseous.

And I thought the fine print said "Kraft Music Hell" instead of Mall.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Calypso posted:

Sorry, but this is delicious.

Yeah, I dunno. Skyline pretty much owns. Frisch's (the local SW Ohio Big Boy chain) chili spaghetti was the poo poo too. Cincinnati style. Skyline was the best drunk food, and the store on Brown Street at the University of Dayton was open 'til, like, 4am or something (or later. I remember walking out of one after eating, and the sun was coming up). The chili dogs covered in shredded cheese were the best. And (at least in the mid 80s) they were only $1.00/each. I'm in NE Ohio now, and we have, like, one up here on the east side of Cleveland, and I swing in every once in a while and relive those memories.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Most mammals are good to eat and people are stupid about it.

:agreed: Some day, I'll learn to field dress a groundhog. I shoot probably 3-5 per year to prevent them from clear-cutting my vegetable garden. They're usually donated to the local Buzzard shelter, as a handy buffet. I mentioned in a prior post that I have had Groundhog jerky before, and it was quite good. Not game-y at all, and a lot like beef, actually. Would eat again.

This just hit my Facebook feed this morning:

Ugh. It just looks so greasy. Like it's wallowing in it's own melted fat in the crock pot. She didn't post the recipe, so I have no idea how it was, um, conceived?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Never cook with pork belly if grease disgusts you. It tastes like heaven but looks like hell if you think fat is gross.

Oh I don't mind grease for the most part. I probably eat way more bacon than I should, and rolling my own out of a solid pork belly is on my to do list. Somebody upthread mentioned it before that pretty much anything cooked in a crock pot just doesn't take good pictures. Combine that fact with a crappy cellphone and you just get horrible.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

For those interested in the MRE experience, this guy's youtube channel is pretty nice:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIUTBxBxmMMY2bUJqYITJxw

I've watched a lot of his installments, and they're weirdly mesmerizing.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I kinda like steelies, waaaay better than every other cheap hobo booze (Nighttrain anyone?). But I also drink a lot of Tecate and Old German so my beer taste is very lax. I also like good beer tho, I just drink a lot of poo poo beer too.

This. I could drink good stouts, IPAs, and amber ales all day long, but I'd probably end up weighing 400 pounds. So yeah, my "go to" beers tend to run to the cheap, 95 calorie side. Laugh all you want, but this really isn't half bad for cheap beer:

16 bucks/30 pack around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

So it's adapted its spore distribution mechanism to make use of human commercial infrastructure. Fantastic.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

They said we've lost it. The whole planet is against us. Every animal, insect, fish, and plant. Everything that can carry the spores. Things have finished changing, and the world is better. They want us to know. They want us to know that, accept it, and come out and be friends.

"Instruction for a..."

• Locked thread