Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

blunt for century posted:

:black101:

I've never willingly eaten anything alive. only eaten a few bugs on accident while riding my bike :downs:

I know Japan has a few examples, and New Zealand apparently has huhu grubs, what other options are there for live food?

This is more "it was just alive and literally got decapitated a second before he drinks out of its neck wound" but I wasn't aware this was a thing until now. It's some Japanese fisherman and a turtle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AMkIEANc00

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The best case scenario of eating a land bug is basically that they taste like a nut of some kind, which is made redundant by the fact that nuts exist. Land insects are just not a very good food

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cracked has another article up where they make a bunch of horrific food from 50s-thru-70s cookbooks and try them. It starts off with an edible cranberry-mayo candle

http://www.cracked.com/article_21958_7-disgusting-foods-from-past-that-we-taste-tested.html

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jmcrofts posted:

If "green bean hot dish" is the same as this:

then it is fully my poo poo and a staple of holiday meals in the midwest.

I actually went my whole life thinking that green bean casserole was horrible trash food because my family never ate it, but then I made it near Thanksgiving for a cooking class I was doing on a whim and it was actually amazing

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I never really got into eggs on burgers cause it just ends up making the whole thing taste like breakfast to me and I don't generally associate a burger with that. It's not bad or anything it just feels misplaced

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hirayuki posted:

And Stouffer's even makes that here in the States! (Though I think it must be hard to find. I remember seeing it here and there when I was a kid, but not lately.)

Yes, it appears to be wheat toast with cheese sauce. Frozen.

I bought this out of sheer curiosity once and could never bring myself to actually eat it. I'm pretty sure it was abandoned in a fridge several apartments ago

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

McSpergin posted:

:allears: Oh Masaoki. My friend showed me this guy last year he's got something in the area of a spectrum disorder as well as being a complete mental case/hoarder. My favourite is probably the one with Obama being sworn in as president in the background

It's 100% an act but it doesn't make it any less funny

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Different brands of chips vary in flavour and saltiness, there's nothing particularly unique about Doritos. Also salt is delicious.

Yes there is? Doritos of any kind are generally covered in a "cheesy" dust that you don't get from any other type of chip. they're very different from a standard potato chip or even other types of corn or tortilla chip

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Captain Jesus posted:

Since my post about the terrible Czech eatery created some amusement, I decided to have my lunch there today. I regret this decision. It was worse than any school cafeteria meal I had. The place was full of old people who I assume are its primary clientele. A faint stench of urine lingered in the air. I decided to go for something which was labeled as beef goulash with pasta. It came with garlic soup with oats.

It tasted worse than it looked. The soup was bland and I forgot it was supposed to taste like garlic while I was eating. It tasted like disappointment complemented by a handful of oats floating near the bottom of the bowl. By the time I finished the soup the "beef goulash" was cold. I've had plenty of beef goulash in the past and this did not taste like it in the slightest. The meat was just dry and tough and the sauce had no distinctive taste other than salty. It was surprisingly thick and starchy. Nothing remarkable about the pasta. While the price was low, the cheapness doesn't justify the terrible food quality. Almost anything I could get for a similar price would be better than this.

Here's also an extra picture of their today's selection:

That's one of the most depressing looking meals I've ever seen. If I served that to anyone I know I'd hope they'd take it as a cry for help

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

If you think that's a poo poo childhood, he's got nothing on me. One of my favourite "snacks" was to put chewed gum in a mug of water, freeze it, then chip at the ice until I got to the gum and chewed it again. I also ate cat kibble on more than one occasion because there was nothing else I could reach and drank pepto bismol out of boredom.

What was it like being rehabilitated as a feral child?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm American and it's really loving annoying when Americans in this and other threads get super defensive about what people think we eat. It's true that America is huge and has super diverse types of pretty much any food you can think of but getting upset about it on this of all forums is pretty ridiculous. Why are goons so weird about food

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Senior Scarybagels posted:

My brother would eat mayo, cream cheese, and sour cream on white bread.

I teach cooking lessons for a living and sometimes I ball up pieces of bread and eat them with soda

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Honestly that food looks way better than I would expect from a military chowhall. It looks better than elementary school food at least

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not living in the midwest and having never gone to church outside of a few times with friends/for funerals or weddings I would totally try a hashbrown or tatertot casserole at least once

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

If I had to eat placenta I'd turn it entirely into charcoal too.

I have a feeling this person wasn't exactly being forced at gun point

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I tried some of this the other day

and it was pretty gross. I can't imagine anything it would go well with. spicy honey sounds like it would work with chicken or something similar but the taste is just unpleasant, and honey with heat is seriously confusing

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Maybe mix it with some mustard?

spicy honey mustard is already a thing, and that mike stuff is like $12 for a 12oz

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ErIog posted:

gently caress you dad! This lime vodka is the poo poo.

Squeeze a loving lime into your vodka your lazy assholes. Mix it with sprite or something. Jesus christ how is flavored vodka a thing, and how did the erudite people I shared a house with in college not realize the folly!

Hey the flavored vodka scene is pretty advanced, I don't think you're gonna be able to make fruit - loops or chocolate whipped cream vodkas easily on your own

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist posted:

I couldn't make it through much of that video. That thing can't taste like anything besides fry oil and salt, not appetizing but I don't get his reaction at all.

Every person who eats a thing on the internet has to either pretend it's mana from heaven or insanely bad turds

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

Goats are pretty good at eating kudzu, and are good eating in and of themselves.

Kudzu looks really pretty to me which is a shame since it's so damaging. A lot of the south in my memories is comprised of trails and mountains just covered in it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FlyinPingu posted:

you can put anything on a pizza, there are no pizza rules you goddamn pizza hitlers

Goons are weird about food (and almost everything actually) but I'm sure there are many things that wouldn't go good on pizza under any circumstances

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GrandMaster posted:

Yes there are, and they are there for good reason you damned heathens..

According to the rules proposed by the Associazione Vera Pizza Napoletana,[2] the genuine Neapolitan pizza dough consists of wheat flour (type 0 or 00, or a mixture of both), natural Neapolitan yeast or brewer's yeast, salt and water. For proper results, strong flour with high protein content (as used for bread-making rather than cakes) must be used. The dough must be kneaded by hand or with a low-speed mixer. After the rising process, the dough must be formed by hand without the help of a rolling pin or other machine, and may be no more than 3 millimeters (0.12 in) thick. The pizza must be baked for 60–90 seconds in a 485 °C (905 °F) stone oven with an oak-wood fire.[3] When cooked, it should be soft, elastic, tender and fragrant. There are three official variants: pizza marinara, which is made with tomato, garlic, oregano and extra virgin olive oil, pizza Margherita, made with tomato, sliced mozzarella, basil and extra-virgin olive oil, and pizza Margherita extra made with tomato, mozzarella from Campania in fillets, basil and extra virgin olive oil. The pizza napoletana is a Traditional Speciality Guaranteed (Specialità Tradizionale Garantita, STG) product in Europe.[4][5]

Having had a bunch of both I can comfortably say that good American pizza is better than good Italian pizza in almost every way

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I laughed

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Derek of the Andes posted:

How did the cheese get circular and the tomato square?!?!?!

Check out this scrub who doesn't understand pizza

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Under the vegetable posted:

The Luther Burger is an American classic and possibly the greatest contribution Luther Vandross made to the culture of this fine nation. It's a real coin toss between the burger and A House is Not a Home.

I remember giving in and trying donut burgers at 3 different places and it was always gross and made no sense

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't really get the point of them but I'd probably eat one of those weird egg sticks

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

http://www.kraftcanada.com/recipes/taco-sandwich-88467

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

C.P.A.N. posted:

gently caress people who cut their pizza like this. I've never seen it until I moved to Wisconsin and it makes me irrationally upset.

Such a hard time choosing between the 90% crust end pieces and the greasy middle ones that flop over and get sauce all over you

it's like eating a sandwich inside out it's retarded

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's a picture of a fruit desert pizza thing with some STDH text attached to it, I wouldn't read too much into it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

Yes. Also, the idea of "finish your peas before you leave the table or no dessert" is now considered child abuse by this generation of parents.

The massive rise in the number of "picky eaters" who have all sorts of reasons why they won't eat or even consider a vast variety of foodstuffs is almost uniquely a US/UK thing because working parents are raising their kids on fast food and microwavable poo poo to the point where the modern restaurant industry is now dealing with grown adults who bitch and complain because they want mac and cheese or a cheeseburger when they're eating at a fancy restaurant.

The idea of forcing vegetables and fruits on kids as a punishment is really stupid though.It's not child abuse but it's a dumb as gently caress way to try to get your children to like a food. I was never forced to eat everything on my plate when I was a kid because who the gently caress always wants to eat everything on their plate

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Murphy Brownback posted:

I don't think taste necessarily has much to do with your parenting. Sometimes people just decide they aren't going to like a thing, and no matter how many times you give it to them they'll still dislike it. My dad had a good upbringing and all that but to this day he refuses to eat anything with condiments on it. Every burger has to be plain, no cheese, no nothing except salt and pepper. Every salad has to be undressed, lettuce only. Foods like pizza or pretty much anything with melted cheese are forbidden. He was even a chef most of his life, so I don't get it, it's just the way he is.

Here's a clip about a british girl who would only eat burnt sausage or something and was planning on being a chef even though she refused to try any of her own food or ingredients. I have no idea why you would get into a field like that if you're totally unable to even comprehend what you're creating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn-Twgir1t4

She has to spit out tiny pieces of strawberry and banana because they're too awful for her

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

I love to cook, have done so professionally, and have been told I am good at it. However, more often than not, being single, I often skip meals with some level hassle and drop to the lowest common denominator, as it just isn't worth the time and effort and cleanup for just me.

I teach cooking classes as a part time job and if I'm not cooking for at least my roommate and me I tend to make myself the easiest poo poo possible. Taking the time and resources making a full meal for yourself just seems really pointless unless you're doing it as a special treat or something.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

I used to be able to keep my hand in a bit when I did a weekly dinner with some neighbors. Started out with everyone bring a component, one of the neighbors cooks, the rest chip in on cleanup. Then it turned to Samizdata doing ALL the cooking ALL the time, which then turned into Samizdata doing ALL the cooking ALL the time and ALL the cleanup all the time.

Which is why I no longer do the weekly dinners.

My roommate can't cook poo poo so I don't mind cooking even if we share cleanup duties. I left for a week to watch my parents house recently and when I came back the only things he had eaten during the time period was cereal, tuna, and an entire thing of cookies we'd just bought. It was like leaving a 5 year old alone.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

Why would you not eat these

Why would you eat the second one, it's an entire banana on a hotdog bun for no reason

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I actually kinda like the taste of green tea flavored stuff, but some of the concoctions people come up with are really unappetizing

It looks like some sort of hellmoss.

Green tea... cotton candy?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

:wtc:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FlyinPingu posted:

the difference is that Masaokis was mentally ill or something, Ryckert is just a huge dipshit

how people are still unable to tell that masaokis was 100% joking is beyond me

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

This is so dumb.

It's supposed to be

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

big mean giraffe posted:

Seriously his place is nasty and I can't imagine living like that for years for a 'joke.'

He doesn't live there it's like some shack or something he inherited. people who are legit mentally ill don't usually have perfect comedic timing for the wacked out poo poo they do for the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Someone also had to hold it up which is weak bloody mary top game

• Locked thread