Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Soul Reaver posted:

That might be true now, but in 2007 Doug Lombardi stated that the plan was for Episode Three to 'end the current Half Life 2 story arc'.

EDIT: Holy poo poo that was 8 years ago.

"New release of episodic content every 6 months", Gaben newell, 10 years and 1 releases later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Drone_Fragger posted:

"New release of episodic content every 6 months", Gaben newell, 10 years and 1 releases later.

Did anyone believe that? I know Newell is the king of wishful thinking when it comes to deadlines, but even he had to know that was bullshit.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Did anyone believe that? I know Newell is the king of wishful thinking when it comes to deadlines, but even he had to know that was bullshit.

Maybe ask Ritual back when they started making SiN episodes?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Nier has a bunch of them. Things like sidequests that take literal days of farming flowers to get no real reward. Or my favourite, having multiple endings through new game plus, but one ending completely erases your saves. All of them for the game, not just the latest.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I'm pretty surprised actually that these weren't mentioned:

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
Speaking of the Stanley Parable, take a wander through the SP announcer pack for Dota 2: http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Stanley_Parable_Announcer_Pack

I don't know if it's a troll per se, but at some point you've paid to get an announcer pack dripping with derision for you, the game, the meta, mobas, video games in general, and especially e-sports. It's amazing. I couldn't play the game without it.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

After weeks of playing the original Cannon Fodder on my Amiga, I finally beat the last levels to be presented with this:

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

The basketball raising sim in Barkley's Shut up and Jam Gaiden.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

im pooping! posted:

17.1% of players have the final one

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

is that the one where you shoot the baby for 4 hours? im too lazy to check

arsenicxenon
Aug 9, 2013
The entirety of Stanley's parable is a game Dev troll. Might as well name this thread pyf Stanley parable moment

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

im pooping! posted:

Can you get those by messing with your clock?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Can you get those by messing with your clock?

you can get them by using the Steam Achievement Manager to unlock all of the achievements for every game you own on Steam like everyone else does anyway because who gives a gently caress about Steam achievements

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Clearly the people downloading and running something to give them all achievements don't care about them at all, nosiree. I like getting periodic "hey, you did something cool with our game's mechanics" notifications.

Any way, have some Eternal Darkness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXcajQnasc

Highlights:

quote:

3. Your TV will appear to change video modes while it sounds like your character is getting attacked.
7. After saving your progress, the game will pretend to delete all of your saved files.
8. The game's audio will turn its volume down incrementally.
10. After finishing a chapter, the game pretends to abruptly end, saying that the story will continue in an eventual sequel titled "Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Redemption".
35. Casting a healing spell causes your character to explode in a fake instant-death.
37. Max accidentally shoots himself while reloading his two flintlock pistols.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

These things popping out of chests and exploding in your face in Binding of Isaac:

http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Pickups#Troll_Bombs

Actually most of that game goes out of its way to troll the player pretty hard.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

f#a# posted:

Any way, have some Eternal Darkness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXcajQnasc

Highlights:

The best insanity-effect was the one that showed silhouettes of bugs crawling on your TV. I was playing in the dark, so of course I jumped to the conclusion that my entire room was covered in bugs.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

f#a# posted:

Clearly the people downloading and running something to give them all achievements don't care about them at all, nosiree. I like getting periodic "hey, you did something cool with our game's mechanics" notifications.

i think most people use them to get TF2 weapons that you can only get through achievements in it/other games

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alouicious posted:

you can get them by using the Steam Achievement Manager to unlock all of the achievements for every game you own on Steam like everyone else does anyway because who gives a gently caress about Steam achievements

I didn't know you could do that because I don't care about steam achievements. Can you get those ones by messing with your clock though?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

The Moon Monster posted:

I didn't know you could do that because I don't care about steam achievements. Can you get those ones by messing with your clock though?

You can at least get the "Dont play for five years" one by setting your clock forward yeah.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

im pooping! posted:

I am fairly certain the impossible one is given out very rarely at random for no reason whatsoever.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Re: trolling pirates, the developers of the 2012 Syndicate FPS put a fake .nfo in the game's files to mess with pirate groups that do the same thing with their own .nfo files.

pre:
                                  ████████
                              ████        ████
                          ████                ████
                       ███                        ███
                      █             ▓                █
                    ██              ▓                 ██
                   █                ▓▓                  █
                  █                   █▓                 █
                 █                    ▓█                  █
                █   ███            ████▓                   █
               █      █    ▓      ███                       █
               █     ██  ████     ▓███            ████▓     █
              █      ████████      ▓███▓         ▓█   ▓▓     █
             █        ▓▓   ██       ████          █           █
             █             ██▓               ██▓ ▓█▓          █
            █             ▓████    █████    ████████           █
            █             ▓███  ███████████  █████▓            █
           █               ▓█ ███████████████ █                 █
           █                 █████████████████                  █
           █                ██▀▀███████████▀▀██                 █
          █                 ███▀▄▀██▀█▀██▀▄▀███      ▓           █
          █      █▓     ▓█ ████▄   ▄███▄   ▄████   ▓███          █
          █     █ ▓▓   ███ █████████████████████ ██████▓     ▓   █
          █    ▓   █  ████ ████████ ▄█▄ ████████ ███▓ ██   ██    █
          █        █████▓▓ █████████████████████ ███   ██ █▓     █
          █         ███    ██ ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀ ██ ▓▓     ▓█▓      █
          █                 ██ ██▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▄▄██ ██                  █
          █                 ███▄▀█████████▀▄███                  █
           █                 ████▄▀▀███▀▀▄████                  █
           █               ▓  ██████▄▄▄██████  █▓               █
           █             ████   ███████████   ██▓               █
            █           ▓██████    █████    ▓███               █
            █           ██                   ▓██▓              █
             █          ▓█▓        ████      ▓███████         █
             █           █▓        ████      █████▓█▓         █
              █          ██         ████      ▓    ▓         █
               █     █▓███▓         ▓███           █        █
               █    ▓               ███            ▓█       █
                █                   ███                    █
                 █                ▓██                     █
                  █               ██                     █
                   █              ▓█                    █
                    ██              █                 ██
                      █              ▓               █
                       ███           ▓            ███
                          ████                ████
                              ████        ████
                                  ████████

Syndicate™
                          © 2012 ELECTRONIC ARTS, INC.

· ─ ─·-────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────-·─ ─ ·
   DISC Count.......: 01
   Protection.......: Yes

Support the software companies. If you play this game BUY it!

Release Information

Game Notes:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Set in 2069, Syndicate takes players into a dark, Machiavellian world run 
    without government oversight with many syndicates vying for total dominance 
    of their local market place. With no one to question their intentions or 
    actions, three mega corporations - Eurocorp, Cayman Global, and Aspari - are 
    at the forefront of this brutal war for control of the pivotal American market. 

In the world of Syndicate, everything is digitally connected, including the 
    people. Players aren't limited to the weapons in their hands. Through DART 6 
    bio-chip technology implanted in their head, players can slow down time and 
    breach the digital world around them to take down their foes using a variety 
    of upgradable hacking mechanics. Syndicate's blend of fast-paced, futuristic, 
    action shooter settings and story combined with innovative chip breach 
    gameplay instantly immerses players in a unique digital world.

Install Notes:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1) Insert disc
    2) Play ;)

Starbreeze Application Information

Are you bored with watching from the sidelines? Ready to make the switch?
    Do you have considerable talents in any of the following areas?

- Art, modeling, texturing, sound design

- Programming

- Game design

If you meet one or more of those criteria, and want to be a part of the fun,
    email us at jobs@starbreeze.com today!

For other ways to contact us, see below.

Over a hundred people spent several years of their lives making this game.
    If you like what you play, please consider purchasing it if you haven't

How to Contact Starbreeze

E-Mail: jobs@starbreeze.com
                        Forum:  http://www.starbreezeforum.se/
                        Web:    http://www.starbreeze.com/

SBZ:    No sleep until gold

I also love how the developers of Dark Souls kept insisting that the pendant you get at the beginning of the game had a secret purpose that had yet to be found and even put it on the announcement site for Dark Souls 2, only to later admit that the whole thing had been a lie.

Ragequit posted:

I am fairly certain the impossible one is given out very rarely at random for no reason whatsoever.

The original plan was to have it be randomly unlocked doing tasks that the dev would change periodically (at launch it as quickloading) but when people figured it out and posted guides to unlocking it he threw a hissy fit about people compromising his vision and just removed the unlock entirely.

You can still earn it in-game by editing a text file and using a console command.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!
Back when the MMO Vanguard was still around, one of (and at one point THE) hardest raid targets in the game was a huge turtle with a case of the shits. He was named Sparkles the Irritated.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

If you beat the Sega CD version of Earthworm Jim on easy mode, you don't even get a real ending.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Lizard Wizard posted:

If you beat the Sega CD version of Earthworm Jim on easy mode, you don't even get a real ending.

This is better than the real ending.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe
the impossible-to-reach pizza in the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on NES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjUz8IT0CYg&t=241s

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

olaf2022 posted:

the impossible-to-reach pizza in the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on NES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjUz8IT0CYg&t=241s

The unjumpable gap 2 segments later is far, far worse.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Diablo 3 is its own can of worms but Whimsyshire therein is a "gently caress YOU" to the people who complained that the first screenshots of the game were "too bright" or "too colorful" or "not dark and gloomy enough"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Breetai posted:

And then one of the PC versions has jumps that are literally too long to ever get past and thus you can't even finish the game.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Seamonster posted:

Diablo 3 is its own can of worms but Whimsyshire therein is a "gently caress YOU" to the people who complained that the first screenshots of the game were "too bright" or "too colorful" or "not dark and gloomy enough"

There is this accelerating feedback cycle between game companies and consumers where constantly-iterating franchises become part of the conversation about themselves. I think I don't like it. I'm thinking of like Warcraft commercials or the meta stuff in Assassin's Creed The Pirate One or especially Dragon Age 2 where the characters are vaguely aware of being in a big sloppy erotic fanfic of themselves.

Does someone want this? It seems like the only reason to like Whimsyshire Therein and be all triumphally "gently caress YOU" about it is because of an internet argument-- an argument that people only cared enough to have because, at some point in history, there was this non-franchise whole new game called Diablo that had the confidence and vision to be itself, instead of some sort of loving catty riposte to youtube comments about its own trailers. Maybe that's easier to do when it's 1995 and youtube doesn't exist

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

swamp waste posted:

There is this accelerating feedback cycle between game companies and consumers where constantly-iterating franchises become part of the conversation about themselves. I think I don't like it. I'm thinking of like Warcraft commercials or the meta stuff in Assassin's Creed The Pirate One or especially Dragon Age 2 where the characters are vaguely aware of being in a big sloppy erotic fanfic of themselves.

Does someone want this? It seems like the only reason to like Whimsyshire Therein and be all triumphally "gently caress YOU" about it is because of an internet argument-- an argument that people only cared enough to have because, at some point in history, there was this non-franchise whole new game called Diablo that had the confidence and vision to be itself, instead of some sort of loving catty riposte to youtube comments about its own trailers. Maybe that's easier to do when it's 1995 and youtube doesn't exist

JOKES ARE TO BE SHOT ON SIGHT

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

Earthworm jim 2's ending is almost a troll by itself. A really good troll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPsYIf3_S0M

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Deltasquid posted:

Metal Gear Solid. The part where you have to use this key to disarm nukes or silly nonsense like that, and it has to change shapes by making it really cold and really warm. You basically run back to the freezer halfway disc 2, back to the end of the control room, back to the start of disc 2 to get to the forge, then back to the control room. Approximately 10-15 minutes of running around, possibly more if you forget about those dumb trap doors or that room filled with a hundred wall-mounted guns or so, or if the key changes back to its neutral state because you were too slow.

Then when you finally do it, you discover you activated the very thing you wanted to deactivate. Hope you're ready for a boss fight! loving Kojima.

Fun Fact: If you're paying close attention, the thermally sensitive key does in fact change in those regions long before it's revealed that it should, but you'll never think to look at it at that time and notice. All the foreshadowing and double-backing the plot does is actually there in that game if you look for it, all of it. It's just presented in a very ingenious way as to make you not expect it on your first trip through.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

swamp waste posted:

Assassin's Creed The Pirate One

Ubisoft explicitly portraying themselves as the villains in their own video game series was so wonderfully smug and on the nose that I can forgive almost everything else they've done wrong. Even Kojima wouldn't go that far.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Any video game that references this website, for example:

Fallout New Vegas

this website survives a nuclear apocalypse posted:

-The YCS/186 Gauss rifle is named for the "Your Console Sucks" forum that has the forum ID number 186.
-The abbreviated console command for disabling Hardcore Mode is "Babby", a reference to a meme that originated on the Something Awful website. In addition, the word "Babby" is often used as a perjorative in various Something Awful subforums.
-A Wild Wasteland encounter found near Goodsprings consists of a man in glasses named Johnny found dead at the edge of a cliff. Johnny is surrounded by various objects including five ace cards and four orange balls. This is a reference to Zybourne Clock, an infamously awful failed amateur game project that originated on Something Awful.
-Pew Pew, a unique laser pistol found as part of A Valuable Lesson, is named for a Something Awful Forums Meme that arose from the mockery of recruitment advertisements for a Something Awful Forums based EVE Online group named Goonfleet.

GTA Vice City

have sex with, then kill some hookers, then post about it here posted:

There are several references to the humor website Somethingawful.com including the title SA Goon when your score is between 1000 and 1010, and there is a newspaper called Front Page News, a reference to the Front Page of Somethingawful.

apparently Pokemon???

I'm sure this website has all Easter eggs ever but gently caress if I'm going to spend any more time on it posted:

Pokemon Diamond And Pearl has several references to Something Awful as a result of Nob Ogasawara, one of the series' lead translators, frequenting the forums under the pseudonym Douglas Dinsdale. For example, a female trainer with a Wooper is named "Roxy" after the name chosen for the main character of Chorocojo's Let's Play of Pokémon Crystal that decided to get rid of her Totodile because it was evil, and replaced it with a Wooper. Also, after you fight an Artist trainer, he tells you he's been inspired to paint a picture called "My Pokémon is Fight!", a reference to Zack Parson's book My Tank Is Fight!

Elder Scrolls Morrowind

Bethesda and ubisoft both suck and like to gently caress. Each other. posted:

In Azura's Coast (13, 5), you can find the corpse of an NPC named Arlowe. On the corpse is the BanHammer. This is a reference to the Something Awful Forums, where the site's creator, Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka, uses the Banhammer to ban trolls. On the forums, Kyanka is sometimes referred to as R-Lo, which is a homonym of Arlow

Apparently In Final Fantasy IV for Game Boy Advance some goon translator put this in

oh boy it's from 日本 posted:

Obviously Slender

There's some other game (mmorpg?) that has a poo poo ton of SA references that's escaping me right now but yeah. Goons.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Accordingly, the most effective way to play as this character in Super Smash Bros. is to be a camping, projectile-spamming piece of poo poo.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Lets Pickle posted:

Accordingly, the most effective way to play as this character in Super Smash Bros. is to be a camping, projectile-spamming piece of poo poo.

I can confirm this is true.

edit:
Although, you can't really launch people like this (except maybe with "the can", which is magical). His aerial A+up is the real killer.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 21:51 on Mar 12, 2015

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Breetai posted:

You don't jump it you need to get the rope and it makes a bridge across this gap, you're welcome.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

swamp waste posted:

It's a series tradition so you're a decade behind the curve unless you were also raging about Diablo 2 having a hidden cow level making fun of a the rumors of a cow level in the original

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Lizard Wizard posted:

The original Killer Instinct for the SNES did the same thing if you beat single player with only one-star difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I love the Secret Boots from Symphony of the Night, hidden in a tiny alcove halfway down a 100ft. waterfall:

They literally just stretch your sprite 1 pixel taller and nothing else.

• Locked thread