Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Thin Privilege posted:

Any video game that references this website, for example:

There's some other game (mmorpg?) that has a poo poo ton of SA references that's escaping me right now but yeah. Goons.

Dangan Ronpa 2 has a "gently caress you" thrown in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I doubt the FFIV one is a SA reference. Goon is a pretty long-standing word synonymous with "lackey" or "henchmen".

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Choco1980 posted:

I doubt the FFIV one is a SA reference. Goon is a pretty long-standing word synonymous with "lackey" or "henchmen".

True, but it does also mention "something awful" in the same sentence as 'goons'... not to mention that the sentence, unless it is supposed to be a reference, is a little strange. It could be coincidence, but I can see how people could see it as a reference.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Choco1980 posted:

It is coupled with the words "something awful" though, which is at least suspicious

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Don't forget that in FFX-2 there are some enemies early in the game that are called Goons and drop grenades when they're killed :v:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Seamonster posted:

Diablo 3 is its own can of worms but Whimsyshire therein is a "gently caress YOU" to the people who complained that the first screenshots of the game were "too bright" or "too colorful" or "not dark and gloomy enough"

Tbh the game did come out a cartoonish retarded piece of poo poo with giant shoulder pads and uninspired WoW style artwork and ruined any semblance of atmosphere or interesting enemy design that the first two did.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Choco1980 posted:

I may be misremembering, but I think I read somewhere that the guy who did the FF4 Advance retranslation was indeed an SA poster.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Garry's Mod has an anti-piracy 'bug' where the game will declare itself to be 'unable to shade polygon normals', in an error message that also includes the user's Steam ID. Anybody asking about this bug not only outed themselves as a pirate, but made it very specifically clear who they were when they did it.

As for non-piracy-related dick moves, I love Super Paper Mario, the game that hates you, the player, specifically.
One level pretends to be about holding right in the same room for hours.
Another level literally is just holding right to walk across a featureless plain.
The villain of the third chapter is a goony neckbeard who complains about literally everything he enjoys and kidnaps Peach to force her to participate in a dating sim.
There is a three textbox-long password that is only stated once. Using it is required to progress.
You have to complete the hardest challenge in the game twice to face the bonus boss and get the reward, because the game doesn't think you mean it when you do it the first time.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 09:33 on Mar 13, 2015

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Cleretic posted:

As for non-piracy-related dick moves, I love Super Paper Mario, the game that hates you, the player, specifically.
One level pretends to be about holding right in the same room for hours.
Another level literally is just holding right to walk across a featureless plain.
The villain of the third chapter is a goony neckbeard who complains about literally everything he enjoys and kidnaps Peach to force her to participate in a dating sim.
There is a three textbox-long password that is only stated once. Using it is required to progress.
You have to complete the hardest challenge in the game twice to face the bonus boss and get the reward, because the game doesn't think you mean it when you do it the first time.

Mario literally dies and is sent to hell.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Cleretic posted:

Garry's Mod has an anti-piracy 'bug' where the game will declare itself to be 'unable to shade polygon normals', in an error message that also includes the user's Steam ID. Anybody asking about this bug not only outed themselves as a pirate, but made it very specifically clear who they were when they did it.

That is a cool idea and I hope other games have similar tricks.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I loved Super Paper Mario.

Then the devs trolled us all with Sticker Star.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

The White Dragon posted:

I may be misremembering, but I think I read somewhere that the guy who did the FF4 Advance retranslation was indeed an SA poster.

He was. I remember he posted screenshots hinting at New Game+ features before the game came out.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Ryoshi posted:

For me it was even worse. I liked the first two games, thought Super was a waste of the IP, then was so excited to hear about Sticker Star because it was going to be the grand return to the actual RPG format from the prior games!

A total New Coke / Coke Classic scenario.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

At one point, you see a rope leading up a cliff. If you chose to climb that rope, and you will since you'll think something good is up there, you will quickly discover it is a LONG rope. All you'll see is the same blue sky as you climb up a featureless cliff. After a solid two minutes of climbing, you're probably starting to think the section endlessly repeats itself. But no, if you climb just a bit further you will reach the top of the cliff, only to find the game flipping you off.

Literally. All you see is a middle finger.

So yeah, you just wasted several minutes doing nothing but climbing only to be told to gently caress off. As an added bonus the game refuses to let you commit suicide by jumping off the cliff despite being able to do that everywhere else in the game. You have to either manually restart the game or climb all the way back down the rope.

To add to this, there is a sign by the rope that tells you that there's something important up there, and while you're climbing the rope it plays a very positive music track that builds up and builds up and immediately stops the second the finger reveals itself. I don't think that track plays anywhere else either.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ryoshi posted:

Super paper mario was already a huge troll. It's incredibly bad whether you hold it to the standards of an action game or a paper mario game.

That thing in the second chapter where you have to just hold right on a hamster wheel for 5 minutes straight that people always mention? Not an exaggeration in the slightest. The game really makes you do that, along with all the other poo poo posted above. The game has an inexplicable contempt for you from start to finish.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

That is a cool idea and I hope other games have similar tricks.

The problem with this sort of system is that they're apparently prone to false positives, and the more you try to make it into a shame engine for pirates the worse it's going to be for the guy who has it bug out on him.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

HMS Boromir posted:

The problem with this sort of system is that they're apparently prone to false positives, and the more you try to make it into a shame engine for pirates the worse it's going to be for the guy who has it bug out on him.

More importantly it's not a matter of "if" it breaks but rather "when." Give any piece of software enough time and it's guaranteed to fail.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

One of Drakengard's last bosses is a rhythm game, up until that point the game was an action rpg, not only it is a rythm game you have to guess the button time as there is no visual endicators. Also the song is pretty goddamn hard.

have some whining;

quote:

1: Rhythm match?! In an ACTION/HACK & SLASH game? AGAIN!? Seriously, you guys didn't learn your lesson in Drakengard 1 from how many players flamed and blew up your boards?? But to make things worse, you go from a matchable Color based Rhythm game, to a pulse-tone???

2: Pulse Tone as I said in #1! Did you guys not think of anyone who is DEAF playing this game? Or I dunno, people with BAD timing or Rhythm, cuz there are gamers who play Action/Hack & Slash games who don't need their hearing or any sense of Timing/Rhythm. But you make it the FINAL BOSS for the BEST ending???

3: Monochrome + Matching Rings... seriously, you guys just had to make it that much harder, that the rings sent out MATCH the flower petals so that on two sequences you CAN NOT SEE the ring at all much less Mikhail?

4: Angles... my gods... you again made it worse by changing the angles so often it's even harder to read where the rings are in position to Mikhail! Combine this with #3 and it's all boiled down to TIMING which as I said in #2 not everyone is good with!

5: The LONG BEHIND TIME.... Seriously, almost 7(Seven) minutes of this?! This is just STUPID for an "Ending boss" in a game like this, you already cut out the things that made this series what it is (Dragon Flight, Dragon Call to Roast thousands!, and thousands of soldiers to kill!)

6: Why didn't Mikhail just EAT HER while she was small, BEFORE the flower bloomed? Seriously... she was the last one... this sequence has no point other than to piss players off. NONE! AT ALL!

7: To make matters worse... any time you DIE, you have to sit through the SAME 30seconds of cut-scene... and you will die... a LOT... 4hrs now and I still haven't beat the 4th sequence...

8: You guys dropped short tutorials for EVERYTHING ELSE - EXCEPT - this fight. Nope... we're just supposed to know EXACTLY what we have to do the second we see that we have control. At least in Drakengard 1 - You only had to send out the matching color to shatter the wall of force, and you could VISUALLY SEE which one to drop out... in this... it's literally just hoping you hit the button at the right time for the first wall, then remembering the pulse tone pattern to hit the next.

9: When did I buy DDR controller version?? What happened to Drakengard 3? Where is my Destructive army smashing power? Why am I playing a Rhythm game after 16+ Hrs of Hack & Slash????

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In The Stick of Truth whenever you get into a conversation with Jimmy he'll struggle to say one sentence over and over. After a while you'll get a button prompt to skip ahead but in one case Jimmy stutters on a single sentence for over a minute, until you honestly think the game is bugging out, but he does manage the sentence and the conversation goes as normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ujTzIgZAY

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Gestalt Intellect posted:

That thing in the second chapter where you have to just hold right on a hamster wheel for 5 minutes straight that people always mention? Not an exaggeration in the slightest. The game really makes you do that, along with all the other poo poo posted above. The game has an inexplicable contempt for you from start to finish.

I haven't played the game but isn't there another way of earning the money you need to get past that part and the problem is that most gamers were just too lazy/uncritical to actually seek it out instead of doing the tedious treadmill activity for 5 minutes?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In The Stick of Truth whenever you get into a conversation with Jimmy he'll struggle to say one sentence over and over. After a while you'll get a button prompt to skip ahead but in one case Jimmy stutters on a single sentence for over a minute, until you honestly think the game is bugging out, but he does manage the sentence and the conversation goes as normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ujTzIgZAY

When I got to this part, I alt+F4'd out because I assumed something had hosed up. I knew the joke of Jimmy taking forever to talk, but I thought they surely couldn't keep it going for THAT long. I was so wrong.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

I haven't played the game but isn't there another way of earning the money you need to get past that part and the problem is that most gamers were just too lazy/uncritical to actually seek it out instead of doing the tedious treadmill activity for 5 minutes?

No, the 5 minutes is the intended shortcut.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/super-paper-mario/Chapter_2-3

You get in debt for 1 million fake money. You're first put in a room where each time you jump to hit a block, you get 1 money. You need 100 money (100 jumps) to pay someone for a password that gets you into the next room. In that room you have to run on a hamster wheel until you get 10,000 money to pay someone else for the password into a vault that has the required million in it so you can finally move with this terrible game that you should have stopped playing by now.

The only thing that slightly redeems this is the fact that the code to the vault is always the same, so you could look it up online and skip this dumbass section. Unfortunately all the stuff posted above is still true so you only have a little while before the next dumbass section.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
In the strategy game Europa Universalis there's a random event where a comet is sighted and your country becomes slightly destabilized (because of superstition). Fans of the game complained that the event had no choices, as other similar events usually had alternative options for some penalty other than stability loss.

The devs responded by adding plenty of new choices to the event:

All of which still do the exact same thing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Ohhhhhh, this explains the comet event that Events & Decisions mod adds into Civ 5! That one actually gives you other options and results in later eras, though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

The White Dragon posted:

Ohhhhhh, this explains the comet event that Events & Decisions mod adds into Civ 5! That one actually gives you other options and results in later eras, though.

Yeah they parodied it in Victoria 2 which I believe the mod gets that from

For those that don't know, victoria 2 takes place in, well, the victorian times, after when Europa Universalis takes place.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Mar 14, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Slime posted:

When I got to this part, I alt+F4'd out because I assumed something had hosed up. I knew the joke of Jimmy taking forever to talk, but I thought they surely couldn't keep it going for THAT long. I was so wrong.

I've never played the game, but I'm not going to lie, I laughed at the video. Especially when he technically says the word, but stutters in text, leaving off the very end of it, and starts over.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

In The Secret of Monkey Island, you pick up a staple remover in one of the cutscenes. If you examine the item Guybrush says "This will surely come in handy!" It's the one item in the game that isn't used anywhere.

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe

Thin Privilege posted:

Any video game that references this website, for example:

There's some other game (mmorpg?) that has a poo poo ton of SA references that's escaping me right now but yeah. Goons.
There's also Unreal Tournament 2004's corpse with a Gorgeous George shirt.

And then there's this: http://imgur.com/Fl2feyl

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Whenever a game gives you a really useful unlock or skill after you reached a point where you don't need it, like in Hotline Miami, where the last mask you get makes it harder for people to see you. (It's remedied a bit since HM is based on high scores and replayability, but still)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Lonely Virgil posted:

One of Drakengard's last bosses is a rhythm game, up until that point the game was an action rpg, not only it is a rythm game you have to guess the button time as there is no visual endicators. Also the song is pretty goddamn hard.

have some whining;

To add onto this, the ending itself is a big troll too because Cavia (the studio that developed Drakengard) hates its players.

Your reward for defeating the Queen Beast in rhythm game-based combat is to get blown up by two military jets in cutscene. And then killing the Queen Beast leads to some extremely nasty repercussions in NIER.

Drakengard!

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

Phantasium posted:

To add to this, there is a sign by the rope that tells you that there's something important up there, and while you're climbing the rope it plays a very positive music track that builds up and builds up and immediately stops the second the finger reveals itself. I don't think that track plays anywhere else either.

So is this Lisa or Lisa The First, which are apparently two different things?

wanna play this game, that sounds hilarious

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Super paper mario was already a huge troll. It's incredibly bad whether you hold it to the standards of an action game or a paper mario game.

I don't think it was that bad, it had some moments in its writing. The devs did seem to hold a lot of the spite for the player though, especially completionists. To 100% the game you need to beat THREE separate 100 battle gauntlets. When you beat the final one, the last boss tells you to gently caress off and do the whole thing again for the real fight. There are no changes to it. You just get told to do the entire thing again, as if the game is mocking your need to complete everything.

Elkyrie posted:

So is this Lisa or Lisa The First, which are apparently two different things?

wanna play this game, that sounds hilarious

LISA the RPG released recently on Steam. Its a really good game that is both hilarious and depressing and I highly recommend it to everyone. Just be aware it enjoys kicking you in the balls a lot. Sometimes literally! :shepface:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Jellymouth posted:

There's also Unreal Tournament 2004's corpse with a Gorgeous George shirt.

And then there's this: http://imgur.com/Fl2feyl

No ring, doesn't count.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhzb9OUWrXU

Molyneux tricking thousands into clicking on a cube for days on end with a promise of a 'lifechanging reward' to the point of people writing scripts for it and going nuts with the thing only to reveal that the reward is a small version of himself, talking. Also the guy who won didn't give a poo poo about it or gaming in general and complained that he had to play some stupid beta at the devs' studio. Molyneux is a genius.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Palpek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhzb9OUWrXU

Molyneux tricking thousands into clicking on a cube for days on end with a promise of a 'lifechanging reward' to the point of people writing scripts for it and going nuts with the thing only to reveal that the reward is a small version of himself, talking. Also the guy who won didn't give a poo poo about it or gaming in general and complained that he had to play some stupid beta at the devs' studio. Molyneux is a genius.

The thing about Molyneux is that he believes what he's saying, as he's saying it. Even if it's some completely pie in the sky idea, like the villagers in Black & White inventing soccer on their own or whatever.

So he's kind of mostly trolling himself, or at least trolling his professional reputation.

The reward for the cube thing was IIRC that you got to be God of Gods in his newest distaster of a game, Godus. Only they haven't implemented any kind of multiplayer. And they've run out of money so they probably never will.

If you can troll without intention to troll then yes, he might be one of the greatest trolls there ever was.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ryoshi posted:

Dangan Ronpa 2 has a "gently caress you" thrown in there.

That's probably because whoever translated it most likely never saw beyond the paywall and thinks that's how SA really talks.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

More likely its a shoutout since OrenOren did an LP that absolutely exploded in popularity on and off site. Mainly due to the fact that they actually translated the game as they went since at the time nobody official or not had done that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

There were dozens of memes based on SA's money wall among the Dangan Ronpa fanbase and the filtered curse words were considered an in-code that goons followed like a hive mind so it may be either.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Palpek posted:

There were dozens of memes based on SA's money wall among the Dangan Ronpa fanbase and the filtered curse words were considered an in-code that goons followed like a hive mind so it may be either.

I will never, ever, understand the Dangan Ronpa furore. It's just...so bizarre. People also get really really weird about the fact that SA charges for an account.

• Locked thread