Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Nuebot posted:

I immediately thought of another boss and I can't remember what game it's from but it's like that. A centipede made out of other enemies and whenever you beat one the others behind it would fall off and start roaming the stage making it a pain in the rear end to kill the boss because you'd either have to stop and kill the others while the boss did its thing, or try to ignore them while killing the boss. So it should be like that.

You mean Centipede?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

I immediately thought of another boss and I can't remember what game it's from but it's like that. A centipede made out of other enemies and whenever you beat one the others behind it would fall off and start roaming the stage making it a pain in the rear end to kill the boss because you'd either have to stop and kill the others while the boss did its thing, or try to ignore them while killing the boss. So it should be like that.

I think you're thinking of the buttlickers from Binding Of Isaac.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

HaB posted:

At least there's a lore reason for the boss recolor - he and the other 2 are all brothers. DemonBros. You think the statue guys look like ballsacks? I always called them turd demons. They look like poop.

The dragon butts tho. Yeah no idea. I'm too busy running past them to prevent my EYES FROM BLEEDING to really take a long look at them. That lava texture is the worst thing since worst things were even a thing.

As for more thread content:

Checked out the demo of Dying Light last night. I should preface this by saying that I really really wanted to like Dead Island, from the same developers, but I just....couldn't. Certain first-person engines are nausea inducing for me and I don't know why. I can't play Skyrim at all for this reason. Dead Island wasn't as bad - since I could play maybe 45 minutes before needing a break. But the clunky as poo poo combat, HP sponge/tank enemies and ridiculous weapon degradation stuff all sucked. Hard. And I was really trying to like it.

So I was hoping that in Dying Light they had learned from their mistakes. Eh. Sorta. The combat is still super clunky. Enemies still feel HP spongy. The weapon degradation is slightly improved and at least I don't have to go find a workbench to repair it. The engine is slightly less nausea inducing as I only felt slightly woozy after the hour of gameplay the demo had.

I think my biggest problem is: the zombies are a little too smart for you know....zombies. Even the basic mooks can see you from way too far of a distance and figure out a path to get to you even if it's complicated - which seems odd for theoretically "mindless" zombies. You get firecrackers which you are supposed to use as a distraction, but they don't work very well. You toss them in one direction and run in the other, look back, and most of the horde is coming after you anyway. The fast moving ones are even worse, since they will straight up dodge attacks and flip around like ninjas. Rotting corpses, flipping around like ninjas.

I guess all this can be handwaved away with "not zombies, but infected humans" and fine - but it's not like most non-infected humans are physically capable of jumping around like ninjas, zombie or no.

I only played a little bit of night time, but the "virals" or whatever they're called are pretty bullshit as well. The combat stamina system seems to make no sense either. I can parkour all around, jumping on top of cars and pulling up onto roofs and ledges and zip across trainyards, but I can't swing an axe 4 times without suddenly getting winded? I'm not asking for realism in my zombie simulator - but internal consistency would be nice.

Yeah so - won't be picking up the full version, methinks.

I will continue biding my time until Dark Souls III

Good choice. Dying light is mediocre. The gameplay's ok, but the storyline is loving stupid.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Nuebot posted:

Was it Centipede?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Nuebot posted:

A bit of a longshot but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW9c7UjE6do&t=94s

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Lady Naga posted:

You mean Centipede?

No but only just now am I getting that every boss like this, and it's been done more than once obviously, is probably a reference to centipede.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Nuebot posted:

I think there was a Kingdom Hearts boss like that if you're not talking about the game Centipede.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

In most instances of a boss like that you have to kill every bit of it, your description suggests that just killing the head or dealing enough damage overall would be enough. Is there anything like that?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Steak Eater posted:

I think there was a Kingdom Hearts boss like that if you're not talking about the game Centipede.

That's probably the one then. I played a lot of kingdom hearts for some reason.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nuebot posted:

That's probably the one then. I played a lot of kingdom hearts for some reason.

Kingdom Hearts l, and especially II, is fun to play if you skip every single cutscene. It's a drat good action-RPG.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Kingdom Hearts l, and especially II, is fun to play if you skip every single cutscene. It's a drat good action-RPG.

That is true enough. I still need to grab final mix plus or whatever the HD re-release of the second one is so I can play the bonus content in English because the bosses were really fun.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

HaB posted:

Certain first-person engines are nausea inducing for me and I don't know why. I can't play Skyrim at all for this reason. Dead Island wasn't as bad - since I could play maybe 45 minutes before needing a break.
Could you be getting motion sickness? I've found that lots of games with a small default field-of-view make me want to vomit (I'm looking at you Half Life 2 :argh:) and digging in to the options or configuration files to change that really helps. A quick google search says Skyrim's default is about 65, a lot lower than the standard of 90, so that might be an issue

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HaB posted:

Certain first-person engines are nausea inducing for me and I don't know why.

I can't play Mirror's Edge for too long at the time because of that.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Try chewing gum. That's what I had to do for some games.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

The Ape of Naples posted:

Try chewing gum. That's what I had to do for some games.

There's a joke in there about you not kicking rear end, but I'm too lazy to work it out.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

kizudarake posted:

There's a joke in there about you not kicking rear end, but I'm too lazy to work it out.

I am too old to kick rear end without bubble gum so here's I am I guess, chewing gum ho-hum.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I know it's not exactly a "Horror" game except for the fact you flee in terror from a muscle man with no pants as he casually walks through explosives that would instant kill you.

But "Breakdown" on original Xbox had some serious First Person View going. Doing spinning high kicks, backflips and side rolls? Guess what happens to your camera!

So I'm sure that it would cause a lot of people to puke just as much as the first person barfing scene.

Does anybody know offhand how many "first person melee" games have your camera anchored to your face to that degree?

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

Section Z posted:

I know it's not exactly a "Horror" game except for the fact you flee in terror from a muscle man with no pants as he casually walks through explosives that would instant kill you.

But "Breakdown" on original Xbox had some serious First Person View going. Doing spinning high kicks, backflips and side rolls? Guess what happens to your camera!

So I'm sure that it would cause a lot of people to puke just as much as the first person barfing scene.

Does anybody know offhand how many "first person melee" games have your camera anchored to your face to that degree?

What was that really crappy action movie-styled Source game? Something Boogaloo.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
GTA V does that when you're rolling around or falling in first person. It's pretty disorientating.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Like honestly I don't get sick from 3D video games but holy poo poo that stuff gives me a headache. Fun fact: realism is not the ideal in video games, it's perfectly okay to step away from reality if it makes the game better.

To make up for it though, karma gave me the "gets sick after 5 minutes in a motorized vehicle" perk so I guess it balances out. v:v:v

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Section Z posted:

Frycry 3 does it a fair bit as well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BlueKingBar posted:

What was that really crappy action movie-styled Source game? Something Boogaloo.

Double Action Boogaloo?

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

I don't know about a melee FP game, but the original Jet-Moto allowed a true FP mode. We raced that game so much on split screen it became the ultimate challenge to beat each other in first-person mode.

The reason it was so bad is you do all kinds of tricks in the game for boost, and the big ones involve flips, barrel rolls, or some combination of the two. Some of the giant trick jumps gave time to do three at once. If that wasn't bad enough, all the terrain was uneven, so you were bouncing constantly on waves, rocks, sand, etc. (Worst level for bounce was the glacier, just bouncing on Broken ice.) The game also had a grapple mechanic that allowed for extremely fast and tight turns.

The last two levels require constant boost to not fall and die. (Along with that, the track had loop-the-loops and upside-down sections.)

It was both awesome and vomit-inducing, we could only do a few races at a time before we had to take a break.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's a new movie coming out next week that's a 100% first person action movie that looks pretty crazy, it's called Hardcore Henry.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

Double Action Boogaloo?

Yeah that, thanks.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

aardwolf posted:

Could you be getting motion sickness? I've found that lots of games with a small default field-of-view make me want to vomit (I'm looking at you Half Life 2 :argh:) and digging in to the options or configuration files to change that really helps. A quick google search says Skyrim's default is about 65, a lot lower than the standard of 90, so that might be an issue

Oh it's definitely motion sickness. I meant I don't know why some engines are fine and some aren't. Usually for PC games I can adjust View Bob and FOV and make it somewhat better but I still haven't found a catch-all solution that just fixes it. I game primarily on console now anyway, and they usually don't have anywhere near as many options for adjusting.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BlueKingBar posted:

Yeah that, thanks.

l was really disappointed in DA:B because it sounded like exactly what I was after and it was kind of poo poo. Felt like a beta for something that would never be finished, and the animations and everything were way too janky to create the cool John Woo aesthetic they were trying to go for.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this? posted:

There's a new movie coming out next week that's a 100% first person action movie that looks pretty crazy, it's called Hardcore Henry.

That looks really dumb. It wasn't good when the Doom movie did it, it's not going to be good now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wanamingo posted:

That looks really dumb. It wasn't good when the Doom movie did it, it's not going to be good now.

Motion Sickness: The Movie.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Solice Kirsk posted:

Motion Sickness: The Movie.

:barf:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

muscles like this? posted:

I cannot imagine for a second this is going to work for anything other than a music video clip length of time. There's a song called Bad Mother Fucker by Biting Elbows that I'm pretty sure is from the same people (at least it's the same level of Russian cheesiness) that is about as much first-person as you'd ever want.

edit: yep, same people. It's going to get really old, really quick.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

poo poo the prodigy did that back in the 90s with Smack My Bitch Up

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Alaois posted:

poo poo the prodigy did that back in the 90s with Smack My Bitch Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRITZjEb-2k

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Thats incredible and amazing

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

This is a Superchunk video that someone edited to cut out all the band footage and change the music. Why would anyone do that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkUeYLHiz58

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Brocktoon posted:

This is a Superchunk video that someone edited to cut out all the band footage and change the music. Why would anyone do that?

The reference to Smack My Bitch Up is pretty overt- so it's a natural thing to do.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Brocktoon posted:

Because they couldnt let a good video be a good vudeo and had to insert chunks of them hopping up and doen in the middle of a forest.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wanamingo posted:

Memento posted:

I cannot imagine for a second this is going to work for anything other than a music video clip length of time. There's a song called Bad Mother Fucker by Biting Elbows that I'm pretty sure is from the same people (at least it's the same level of Russian cheesiness) that is about as much first-person as you'd ever want.

edit: yep, same people. It's going to get really old, really quick.

It's been getting almost unanimously positive buzz from festivals, and the director did an AMA that kind of quelled my concern about the movie (apparently they were really careful not to make it disorienting, and the movie eases you into the gimmick before it goes hog wild).

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Brocktoon posted:

Probably for the same reason people edit out the band stuff (and a surprising amount of gags) from this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy9uaWqUNa8

(incidentally, if you're a horror fan, that video is amazing with its details)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's been getting almost unanimously positive buzz from festivals, and the director did an AMA that kind of quelled my concern about the movie (apparently they were really careful not to make it disorienting, and the movie eases you into the gimmick before it goes hog wild).

Ok, that's good to now. I'll hold off on judgement 'til I see it, and check out some of the buzz for now.

• Locked thread