Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Kimmalah posted:

This one is great because people still get mad when they see this fucker almost 30 years later.

I try to spread this info whenever possible: the arcade version lets you shoot the dog. Go get MAME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Breetai posted:

The unjumpable gap 2 segments later is far, far worse.

And then one of the PC versions has jumps that are literally too long to ever get past and thus you can't even finish the game.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If we're gonna talk about it we gotta post these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUpcl_P9ZTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9cqtaKQLwA

So fuckin good. Classic poo poo right here.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Ecco is for real the scariest loving game ever made. gently caress the ocean!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Vookatos posted:

There are a few items like that. One of Ness' bats can be dropped only by one enemy (I think they also appear on, like, one screen) in the final dungeon.

The real troll here is the guide the game comes with has the WRONG INFO about this and instead tells you it drops from an enemy you can fight like maybe three or four times max and then have to reload a save to try again including walking all the way back to that screen so you waste a bunch of time on something that's actually impossible.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

SirPhoebos posted:

One of my favorite guidebook trolls is for Pokémon Red/Blue, where it suggests using your Master Ball "for a hard to find Pokémon", and then gives a relatively common species as an example.

A motherfuckin zubat

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Lies and made up bullshit, sounds like typical behavior of the kind of person that picks charmander to me, yeah.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Cheating in pokemon was great because everyone had these mewtwos and charizards they got to level 100 from level 1 with infinite rare candies whereas my pokemon were legitimately leveled up and thus I could kick their asses with my Articuno and Venusaur. :smug:

It also helped that no one understood ice type murdered dragons so your Dragonite will not save you. Somehow I never hosed up my save (other than the elite 4 stats thing) loving around with missingo.

Regarding Worlds of Power, was that the one that had some Blaster Master books that actually ascended to being canon in the sequel games?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I wish Bulletwitch would come out on PC. It was really dumb but it was like...my kind of dumb. Lots of weird less-major titles like that on the 360 that I liked. Dark Sector, Matt Hazard etc.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Status effects are pretty decent in the Megami Tensei games, usually.

Charm bullets in Persona 1 :getin:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Black Wombat posted:

Hahaha yes it does.

For those who don't know, Deadly Premonition is a supernatural murder mystery, which takes a lot of notes from Twin Peaks. It alternates bizarre investigation scenes, clunky combat, and an open-world filled with various sidequests where you meet/help out the people around town.

The open world is fairly large, though, and while your character talks to himself (sorta) while driving, that only covers a fraction of the time needed to drive from place to place in each chapter.

There IS a quick travel system. In order to unlock it, you have to do a very specific sidequest which is not marked on the map (Although the NPC does have a 'I have a quest!' icon over them if you get close). This sidequest can only be done during a few certain chapters early in the game. If you miss it, no fast-travel for you the entire game.

I still love Deadly Premonition, mind you. But it'd have gone even smoother with fast travel.

But the more you drive the more you get to hear the protagonist's opinions on 80s movies.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Bluemillion posted:

I'm imagining this badass vampire opening a bag of peanuts and screaming "poo poo!" when the bag tears and they go everywhere.

I'm imagining Dracula's Castle as one of those country themed bar-restaurants where people just throw peanut shells all over the drat floor. Instead of Bloody Tears it's some Garth Brooks song playing.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
This is why Saints Row is smart as gently caress, the first game everyone calls you the both meta as gently caress and totally appropriate name "playa". Then you become the Boss, and you are forever called Boss.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Sleeveless posted:

The main character in Chrono Trigger is named Crono because there's only space for five letter names.

You can name most of your party by their secret real names though

Marle -> Nadia
Robo -> R-66Y / Prome if you wanna get fancy I guess
Frog -> Glenn
Magus -> Janus

Why the hell did so many people have multiple names in CT?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Tiggum posted:

They're often the most fun part of the game. I actually want someone to make a game that's basically just a character designer with tons of clothing options. Build a bunch of characters then just pose them in a scene and you're done. That's the whole game.

I'd like to say "play Champions Online" but that's probably not a morally acceptable thing to say these days.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

John Murdoch posted:

Much better than that, I think you can do the whole elaborate doll posing thing in the offline City of Heroes client.

Joke answer: Second Life

It really sucks because Champions editor is sooooo loving cool but they 1) restrict lots of stuff until you complete the tutorial and 2) lock lots of costume stuff behind in-game progress, achievements, cash shops, etc.

I guess part 2 is good because it keeps you looking for more stuff and maybe it will inspire you to make extra costumes but that first part sucks. I kinda wish they would make you start with nothing but street clothes and "home made" cheap costume stuff and as you became a more established hero you could get into the high tech super outfits or something. That would probably gently caress up a lot of people's character concepts though.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Soul Reaver posted:

I strongly suspect Japan has got you covered there.

They do, but they are generally....adult in nature.

There's actually one of those that legally allows you to use your generated ladies in your own games, so there's a bunch of stuff on XBLIG and greenlight and such with women made in "3D Custom Girl'.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

joshtothemaxx posted:

Part 2 sucked rear end and was a huge troll for me back when I played Champions because I wanted to make a Luchador character... and all the lucha costume poo poo was behind PVP currency. Their PVP sucked rear end and I had no interest, but god damnit I wanted that sparkly lucha mask.

That set owns and I made a character specifically to use it, I don't blame you. I never did any PVP stuff that I recall so it must have changed to just zen points or something at some point.

So sparkly

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Nuebot posted:

I immediately thought of another boss and I can't remember what game it's from but it's like that. A centipede made out of other enemies and whenever you beat one the others behind it would fall off and start roaming the stage making it a pain in the rear end to kill the boss because you'd either have to stop and kill the others while the boss did its thing, or try to ignore them while killing the boss. So it should be like that.

A bit of a longshot but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW9c7UjE6do&t=94s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Choco1980 posted:

Probably for the same reason people edit out the band stuff (and a surprising amount of gags) from this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy9uaWqUNa8

(incidentally, if you're a horror fan, that video is amazing with its details)

This is rad, thanks for posting.

• Locked thread