Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
many johnnys
May 17, 2015

The White Dragon posted:

The food healing items in Castlevania, barring the staples like Pot Roast and Turkey, are all pretty crappy troll items. Peanuts, frankfurters, grapes, all these things you think "well maybe they'll help me in a pinch" just poo poo up your inventory and heal somewhere around 12 HP, which is like getting hit once in the first half of the game. In SotN, you couldn't even sell them.

Peanuts were the best because when you use them in SOTN they get tossed in front of you, and you have to catch them to get mediocre healing. If they fall on the floor then they do nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

For an intentional SOTN troll, there's always the Alucart gear. You start the game with overpowered equipment, primarily the Alucard Sword, Alucard Shield and Alucard Mail, and then you lose this equipment a few rooms into the game. The Alucart versions of the gear look identical, except they're garbage. So players will find this equipment, get excited, equip them, and then suck. your luck goes up if you wear all of them, but they're still garbage

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

AlphaKretin posted:

IIRC the alucart shield kicks as much/more rear end than the real one as a shield rod combo.

I believe you have them backwards. The fake alucart shield that is worthless, also has a worthless combo (it literally does nothing). The real one that is good is the one with the most powerful effect in the game. Alucart equipment is a troll, through and through.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Mizuti posted:

An achievement called Insane in the Membrane and "the Insane" title. :bravo:

WoW player: Finally, I've killed nearly twenty seven thousand pirates to get the Insane achievement

Blizzard Entertainment:

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Vlad the Retailer posted:

Flower, Sun and Rain is not so much a game as Suda51's continuous joke on the player's expense.

The first puzzle in the game is to find the protagonist's birthday, which can't be found in the game: in fact, it outright tells you to look in the manual, in the style of old DOS games' copy protection.

However, it can't be found in the manual either, as his birthday is listed as a blank field. The solution to the puzzle? Make up a birthday, and write it down in the manual.

If you forget to write it down, you're screwed, since it's needed to solve the next puzzle.

And the final puzzle in the game, many hours later.

Couldn't you just remember the birthday you picked?

I usually just pick mine.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Vookatos posted:

Never played Oblivion, so I don't know if you can run away from enemies, but Xenoblade has something similar. Most of the time you won't see high level enemies (or they'll just be blind and won't move until you attack them) on your path, but that's not always the case. One monster that most players will remember is Territorial Rotbart, which you encounter around level 15. He just walks back and forth on your path forward, and it's kinda hard to miss him. He's level 81.

Helpfully, Xenoblade will show you the enemy's level along with their name, from pretty far away, and even label the box in red if it's like "this guy's huge don't mess with him" so it's not so bad.

Hiding big fuckoff enemies in a crowd of normal ones is just mean.

edit: also helpfully, there's no penalty for dying in xenoblade. you physically get put a little bit back, but you're still fine and all your xp and everything you got along the way is kept.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

Corruption is good but the corrupted golem boss (the first one iirc) was one of the most frustrating pieces of poo poo I've ever had to deal with in a game.

Helpfully, you're basically invulnerable when you're in Hyper Mode, so one neat trick is to pop in and out of it whenever a big attack is coming. Even if you fail to dodge, you'll just soak the attack no problem.

(it's still like the hardest boss of the game)

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

The handful of energy tanks you have at that point don't help matters either. I just didn't have the energy to keep ducking into hyper mode.

Your energy tank gets converted into the hypermode "ammo", and when you revert back to normal mode you get any unspent energy back.

So if you duck into hypermode real quick, don't shoot him, dodge/soak whatever hit, and then change back, it costs you nothing. All you need is the single tank of energy to go hyper in the first place.

The problem is the moment you dip below that mimimum energy requirement... since, after all, you WILL have to fire at him throughout the fight (costing you life), and also will occasionally get hit unexpectedly. And of course he can attract those healing orbs where the most reliable way to stop him is going into hypermode and spending yet more energy..

They really needed to give you a little more juice at that point in the game.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Sleeveless posted:

Level scaling in RPGs can be done well but I've never played a single-player racing game with rubberbanding that wasn't a huge pain in the rear end and/or horribly transparent. It completely kills my desire to play when I know that no matter how well I drive or how many upgrades I buy the AI is always gonna miraculously be on my rear end half a lap after I pull ahead.

You could always play the time trials mode, which is exactly what the versus mode would be without rubberbanding after about thirty seconds.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Agent355 posted:

I thought there was a failsafe where any missable al bhed primers eventually ended up in that big rear end desert randomly spread about? Maybe I remember incorrectly.

Most do, but four in the game don't, and are lost forever. The three in Home are permanently missable.

In the HD version, there's an achievement for getting them all.

many johnnys has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Oct 22, 2015

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I got all the final fantasy x achievements and my advice is: don't

hmmm which achievements are the worst trolls? is it the easily missable permanently missable thingies? Is it getting the ultimate weapons, which require playing that blitzball game for dozens of hours, clicking x to dodge a lighting bolt like 200 times in a row? no, I think it's the one where you have to activate every space in the level-up grid, for every character, including filling empty spaces with rare stat-ups, and including breaking every locked space (even the ones that don't go anywhere) and filling out those ones too. That's the troll. The troll is my life. I am the troll now.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Detective Buttfuck posted:

Doesn't MGSV have a secret ending you can only get if all FOB nukes in the entire playerbase are destroyed? Is that an achievement too?

Afaik that's a rumor, based on graphics that people mined from the game.

edit: not being an achievement, those are known. The rumor is that being a thing at all.

many johnnys has a new favorite as of 21:02 on Oct 22, 2015

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Your Sledgehammer posted:

My favorite Dark Souls troll is this ornery little cuss:

That's a Basilisk. It hops around like a deranged frog and emits a mist that can kill you almost instantly. They are commonly found in groups, and you first bump into them relatively early in the game.

It's hardly the only enemy that can kill you in one hit. This is Dark Souls, right? The dickpunch part is what happens next. When you respawn, you quickly realize that your health bar has been cut in half. You've been cursed.

More fun: Curse would also make you unable to get Humanity, which you would normally be able to spend on A. Boosting bonfires so they give you more heals, and B. going back into "alive" form and thus enabling multiplayer. So when you're cursed, you're unable to get assists from helpful player phantoms anymore, and any future bonfires you find will only replenish your heals up to 5 (instead of 10, 15, or 20).

I am of the opinion that Curse should wear off on its own after a couple hours, tracked in-game so you can't cheat it by setting your clock ahead. In addition to the other cures of course.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Izalith plays like the level designer left his workstation unlocked and his five-year-old nephew decided to make a level. It's "baby's first doom level" where baby filled a room with lava and cyberdemons, except instead of cyberdemons it's an unfinished enemy that they decided to put in the game anyway and the lava's lighting effects make it so there's orange poo poo smeared all over your screen at all times. That's straight incompetence.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Lizard Wizard posted:

If he means the dragon butts, then he legitimately believes the developers designed every enemy starting with the rearmost point.

Every enemy? No, just the dino butt.

He only appears in the two places - pasted all over the place in eye-bleed Izalith (where they rampage around at stupid range, and if you hide in a building they kill each other with their own attacks) and in the Painted World. The latter, as discussed, is an inanimate obstacle that for some reason "resets" when you hit it with a jump attack and reverts to its default standing animation. It's still unkillable and programmed not to attack, but when you reset its stance you can pass under it without solving the rest of the stage. It's glitchy and unfinished and stands in contrast to pretty much every other enemy in the game.

many johnnys has a new favorite as of 15:29 on Nov 3, 2015

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

The question now is why are there enemies that are just the asses of dragons? From a development standpoint, not "because they're zombies."

It may have been just a rumor, but I heard something about them being one big zombie dragon at first, and as you fight against it the halves separate and fight you apart from each other. There's nothing like that in the game though, so either they couldn't get it to work or it's just some fake thing I heard. Can't think of any other reasons there's be a zombie butt in the game though.

The attacks are a tail swipe and a butt-stomp. They are so huge that if you hide in one of the buildings in the lava, a bunch of them will crowd around and try (and fail) to attack you, killing each instead. The only other one in the game was mentioned earlier, and that's the glitched one.

The front half zombie dragon is a neat monster that I like. :)

many johnnys has a new favorite as of 21:54 on Nov 3, 2015

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Bed of Chaos was the best boss fight in that game :colbert:

I like the big boney rib dragon in the sewers, he was my favorite

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

CaptainScraps posted:

I just started playing Godhand for the PS2. Godhand is pretty brutal but also an insane beat-em-up.

The first boss battle in god hand is against two very flamboyant twins. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFr-4_Kykd0

You get a small selection of super-moves and they're limited in number depending on how many pickups you have. And one of the first super moves you have is called the ball buster. If you try to use the ball buster on the flamboyantly gay twins, all that happens is a dull "thunk" sound and he takes no damage.

After you win, you can go inspect the bodies. And if you inspect them, it says "He must have lost his balls in the war."

It only fails against the one of them. The other one can be kicked in the dick to full effect.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Jerry Cotton posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't God Hand one of those games that gets harder if you play well?

That's correct. If you play on easy mode, it caps your difficulty at Lv.2 (medium), so you never see Lv.3 or Lv.DIE. I wasn't able to handle the game with that skill so I only played on easy...

Hard mode sets it to always be at Lv.DIE :twisted:

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Oxyclean posted:

Isn't there a point halfway through the fight that you get one of those "Come on, join the bad guys" prompts....only you can actually say yes and it results in a game over.

Yeah, Paper Mario series is fond of this sort of thing.

At the beginning of Super Paper Mario, you watch this big long cutscene that sets the stage, and then the wizard guy says that you're their only hope and won't you help? Each time you say no he gets more upset, and after the third time he gets dejected and the world is doomed and you get game over.

You also get game over when you go into space, and when it tells you to put on your helmet you just decide not to repeatedly, so you choke and die instead.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Ryoshi posted:

Super Paper Mario was like a long list of trolls from start to finish, and I seriously loved it.

for context: in this level of the game, you broke a vase and now you have to pay off the debt by generating electricity. To generate enough to solve the puzzle (someone will give you the password to the vault later) you need to hold Right for something like a quarter of an hour. It's at least ten minutes I think. Or you could look up the password on gamefaqs.

many johnnys has a new favorite as of 20:52 on Dec 8, 2015

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Cleretic posted:

It is hilarious. That game just loves loving with the player, but not to the point where it's actively unpleasant.

Also, anyone complaining about the hamster wheel level is stupid as poo poo. You only need to earn ten rubies in the slowest wheel, and even that doesn't take long at all. Everything else is just a matter of talking to the right people.

100 rubees (in the slow jumping room, 1 rubee per jump) gets you the code for the hamster room
10,000 rubees(in the hamster room ideally) gets you the vault code. This takes nearly a quarter of an hour.
If you already know the code, it never changes, so if you're willing to cheat then yeah you can just go straight there.

If you're going to call people "stupid as poo poo" you could at least get your facts right.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Somfin posted:

E: Seriously, I need to know this. Why did you keep playing if that early section was such a loving chore? What was it about the game that made continuing through that section worth it?

Yeah, it's a small blip in a game that's eventually over and you can move on to hopefully better writing and better gameplay afterward. In the end Super Paper Mario was mediocre in almost every way, which stands out after two stellar Paper Mario games.

Some parts of the game were bad on purpose instead of by accident, and as Game Trolls go, it's chock full of those kinds of moments.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Griefor posted:

No no no, Valve made unlimited refunds on this game available to anyone. The developer merely whined on social media about how refunds were killing his revenues. Seriously, he posted graphs and everything.

The mental image of him taking everyone's cash and then Valve having to pick him up by his ankles and shake their money loose

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Croccers posted:

This one I don't get, I played this on a SD non-widescreen TV and I never had have an issue :confused: I didn't have high-speed internet at the time but I did have a re-release version of the game so maybe it was patched?
This is the only quick picture I can find of this issue and my text was never this blurred bleeding-neon

Odie
You dn't plmbr on gdr bock down Me the null,
us ya? I wouldn't do tht if I ooo you.
Bl you young balls nevr Ddun to me...

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

M-murphy. You are a elf...

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Tales of Vesperia has some optional cameo bosses that are really rad, but they're ridiculously hard to meet, requiring doing a bunch of side stuff, one of which is permanently missable Before you go to a place called Zaude, return to a place called Phaeroh's Crag in the desert.

Even if you do that part, you have to beat the game before you're allowed to meet them.

If you do all THAT and continue your endgame save, you have to run through the optional dungeon. The optional dungeon rarely gives you little tokens called "Fake Gald" as you run through it and you need to grind out fifteen of them to fight a special boss (otherwise it just ejects you at the end). Only THEN, after doing that (and a bunch of other sidequests), are you finally allowed to fight the cameo bosses in the arena.

By this point you've run the optional dungeon so many times and you're so strong that they aren't even a little bit of a challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hell there were people complaining that there were female soldiers in the game at all.

There's also an achievement for finishing a mission with a squad made entirely of women. I can't help but get the feeling this was put in specifically to troll MRAs.

The chances of a soldier being female was 1/4, with the other 3/4 being dude soldiers. People modded the game so it'd be 50/50, and then I believe a patch was put out that also made it 50/50.

The next game they just let you design everyone no matter what.

• Locked thread