Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If you're going to avoid whatever's coming up through that other passageway, you're going to have to find some way to stop it or at least slow it down.

Skill challenge time. Feel free to build up off of each your comrades' skill check, or come up with a plan first and then execute your respective parts of it in turn. Let me know if you have any questions about the room/area's details, but you can make reasonable assumptions now that I've described it as a crypt for sarcophagi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bear Chaser

Bear Chaser rises to the occasion. Literally. He finds a raised platform - probably used as a table for whatever weird human(?) things went on in here - and hops up onto it, cupping his hands around his mouth and yelling loud into the darkness.

"Bear Chaser strongest goblin in world! Beasties shouldn't come! It will be a slaughter! Bear Chaser will be renamed Spider Butcher!"

Intimidate: 1d20+8 27

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Gnasc

Right after Bear Chaser taunts the darkness, Gnasc goes to the edge of the passageway and makes some noises of his own. He snarls the loudest he can while clanking his greataxe on the floor, yelling unintelligible things in the dark Abyssal language he was born with.

Skill Challenge - Intimidate: 1d20+7 26

Seems my neighbor (who I'm stealing wifi) goes to sleep pretty early so I can actually have reliable internet to post at night :toot:

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Sofia Laurell

As Gnasc and Bear Chaser attempt to intimidate the creatures in the darkness and drawing attention to themselves, Sofia gets ready to ambush whatever may come if they don't succeed. Although she isn't the most subtle of people, Sofia lies in wait in the blind spot of the downward-sloping entrance.

Stealth: 1d20+2 14

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That's two hard DCs passed by Gnasc and Bear Chaser, and a moderate passed check by Sofia, but I'd like to get an idea of what your final objective is. The intimidation will buy you time because the things are scared off and won't come charging up the tunnel, and Sofia is in a good position to take them by surprise, but do you actually want an engagement and are just trying to set-up an advantageous position, or something else?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bear Chaser

With the beasts stalling in the darkness, Bear Chaser glances around the room and finds what looks like a decent place for him to hide, as well. "Beasties stalled," he explains to his companions as he scurries over. "Scared! They come in slow, and we wait for them, then - pow! Spider legs on the menu. They already scared. If we get drop on them, they'll run crying home to spider-mom."

Stealth: 1d20+2 22

I went with the assumption we're looking for a combat with initiative.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hark attempts to follow Sofia's example by crouching down behind one of the sarcophagi out of sight of the entrance. However, a creak of his knees and a grunt of pained disgust betray his position.

Stealth: 1d20+4 8

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Gnasc

Seeing his group trying to set up an ambush position, the gnoll grunts and gets away from them, making himself visible and ready for combat. Grabbing his greataxe, he's ready to taunt at whatever comes through the passageway.

Not even gonna try Stealth, gonna serve as the bait/distraction if possible. Is there like a Defensive position in this game?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Sofia and Bear Chaser manage to remain hidden in the blindspot of the passageway as one of the interlopers comes charging up the incline. It reveals itself to be, like the corpses discovered in the tombs, a horrible half-man half-spider humanoid. This one's wrists end in a tangle of obsidian-looking jagged edges. Sofia hears a clattering at the bottom of the incline and spots yet another grotesque hybrid, this one with a mouth that is just dripping with venom and acid.

pre:
Arachnid Webwarder, Level 1 Elite @ H7
64/64 HP
AC 15; F/R/W 13/14/12

Arachnid Guardian, Level 1 Elite @ H1
46/46 HP
AC 15; F/R/W 13/13/12
Sofia and Bear Chaser both have Combat Advantage on Arachnid Webwarder @ H7

Because he has taken a defensive position, Gnasc has a +2 bonus to AC until start of his turn on round 2

Squares H1 to H4 are considered Hindering Terrain because of its incline and may cause falling damage under the right circumstances.

The stone tombs from C7 to J7 may be used in different fashions.

You have won initiative and may take your turns first.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

===
pre:
Hark   						 
HP: 28/28		AC:   19    Passive Insight: 12
Surges:  7/7  (V: 10)	For:  15   Passive Perception: 17
Initiative: +4		Ref:  16    Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 6/8		Will: 14    Vision: low-light

At Will			Encounter			Daily
Crane's Wings	        [ ] Second Wind			[ ] Masterful Spiral
Five Storms		[x]  Swift River Floods	
Flurry of Blows		[ ] Furious Assault			
			[ ] Wasteland Fury		

Conditionals/Resists: +2 speed when charging, 5 THP when first bloodied in encounter

Despite his painful crouched attempt at stealth, Hark explodes into action as the monstrous creature clatters into the room. He charges in low to the ground, evading a slash of the razor-sharp claws, and then abruptly plants his boots and spins, bringing his staff up in a whistling arc to crack against the creature's side. In the same sweeping motion, he jams an elbow into one of the spider-thing's leg joints.

Move: Shift to I8 (using Swift River Floods movement technique).
Standard: Swift River Floods on Webwarder: Swift River Floods vs. Webwarder, v. Reflex: 1d20+5 18 Damage: SRF damage: 2d8+5 8 (Forgot to add +3 damage for using SRF while wielding a staff, so damage should be 11.)
Free: Iron Fist Flurry of Blows on Webwarder for 5 damage.

Final result: Webwarder takes a total of 16 damage, is slowed EONT by Swift River Floods, and cannot shift until SONT due to Flurry of Blows.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Sofia Laurell

Sofia springs from her hiding spot and wraps her arm around the Arachnid Webwarder's neck for a sleeper hold. She then gets ready for the acid snarling creature to be upon her flank soon. "Best get away from the tunnel, Chaser," she says to the goblin, "We're about to have company. Take care of this thing." She nods towards the creature in her grasp.

Move Action: Move to H6
Standard Action: Grappling Strike vs AC to Arachnid Webwarder @ H7: 1d20+10 23 Hit! 1d10+4 5 damage
Arachnid Webwarder is marked and grabbed.

pre:
Sofia Laurell 						 
HP: 26/27		AC:   18		Passive Insight: 11
Surges:  9/10  (V: 6)	For:  20		Passive Perception: 11
Initiative: +2		Ref:  14		Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 5		Will: 13		Vision:

Combat Challenge        [ ] Second Wind			[ ] Tempest Dance
Grappling Strike	[ ] Steel Serpent Strike	
Brash Strike					
Cleave					

Conditionals/Resists: 
Inescapable Hold - Grabbed creatures must escape against Fortitude with Acrobatics

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Gnasc

And so the ambush was sprung on this spidery abomination. The pack descended upon it and Gnasc was more than happy to do his part.

The gnoll sinks his axe on the arachnid monstrosity, careful not to hit Sofia holding it.

Minor Action: Activate Battle Wrath stance, giving me +2 power bonus damage on melee attacks

Sofia being on H6 grants me CA right?

Standard Attack: Melee Basic Attack vs AC: 1d20+7+2 18 1d12+7+2+2 12 Damage

I just don't have luck on damage dice :negative:

pre:
Gnasc   						 
HP: 29/29		AC:   17+2    Passive Insight: 11
Surges: 11/11 (V: 7)	For:  16    Passive Perception: 13
Initiative: +4		Ref:  16    Action Points: 2/2
Speed: 6		Will: 12    Vision: Low-light

At Will			Encounter			
Battle Wrath            [ ] Second Wind			
Berserker's Charge	[ ] Ferocious Charge
                        [ ] Power Strike	

Conditionals/Resists: 
+2 to all saving throws
+2 damage when bloodied
+2 damage to melee attacks with 2+ allies adjacent to enemy
Gain CA to all enemies on my first turn

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bear Chaser

"Not spidies!" Bear Chaser gasps, momentarily disgusted by the strange foes before him. Then he remembers he has a job to do.

Namely, squashing gross things. Raising his weapon wildly above his head, he charges at the monster as the rest of the party dogpiles it, doing his part to bring it down.

Melee Basic Attack vs AC: 1d20+9 18 hit 1d8+4 10 damage

pre:
Bear Chaser   						 
HP: 23		        AC:   17    Passive Insight: 9
Surges: 7/7 (V: 5)	For:  15    Passive Perception: 9
Initiative: +4		Ref:  14    Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 5		Will: 15    Vision: Low-Light

Goblin Tactics		[ ] Guardian's Counter          [ ] Lamb to the Slaughter
Rousing Assault	        [ ] Inspiring Word		
Direct the Strike	[ ] Hammer and Anvil	

Conditionals/Resists:
+2 to all defenses against Opportunity Attacks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Endorph/Bear Chaser, I'm assuming you moved to I6

The Webwarder shrieks against the blows raining down on it, but recovers its senses and tries to break free of Sofia's grip.

It does so, and unleashes a whirlwind of blades against the Adamantine Queen.

pre:
Standard Action: Four Blade Strike, vs AC: 1d20+6 attack roll, 1d4+2 damage roll
Attack 1: 14, miss
Attack 2: 25, hit for 3 damage
Attack 3: 9, miss
Attack 4: 17, miss
Sofia deftly avoids most of the strikes and the Webwarder shrieks again in frustration.

The other arachnid monstrosity slowly makes its way up the tunnel, tilts its head back at an impossible angle, and hurls a glob of green goo from its maw towards Bear Chaser.

pre:
Move Action: move to H4
Standard Action: Poisoned Bolt (Encounter), vs Fort: 1d20+6 13, miss
Bear Chaser babbles and hoots and hollers as the glob falls short and instead sizzles and bubbles on the ground short of him.

pre:
21/64 HP
AC 15; F/R/W 13/14/12
Marked

Arachnid Guardian, Level 1 Elite @ H4
46/46 HP
AC 15; F/R/W 13/13/12

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

OOC: Is the Webwarder standing on one of the sarcophagi? If so, I'd like to see if I can knock the lid off from under it to knock it prone or at least off balance.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, it is. Describe how you want to do it, make a skill roll, and let's see what happens. Let's say that that's your standard action.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hark ducks into a crouch, bracing himself with his staff, and one foot lashes out, the sole of his boot slamming into the side of the sarcophagus lid under the spider-thing. He follows it up by trying to grab hold of a couple of the thing's legs to unbalance it, but his hands slide uselessly on the sharp chitinous edges.

Athletics to dislodge lid: 1d20+5 11

Spend 1 action point.

Standard: Crane's Wings on webwarder: Crane's Wings on Webwarder, vs. Fort: 1d20+5 9 Misses.

Slow and no-shift effects on webwarder end.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bear Chaser

Bear Chaser gawks. Between the acid and Hark missing, the battle looks really bad! But it's okay. Bear Chaser, being the wily goblin that he is, has a plan. First, he takes a few steps away from the bubbling acid. Cautiously. Then, he raises his scimitar and bashes the weakened spider caught in the middle of all his men!

Shift to I7.
Hammer and Anvil vs Reflex: 1d20+7 12 1d8+4 8

Unfortunately, he just barely misses. The acid hisses very loud and Bear Chaser's attention is lost! Acid is interfering in his battle.

pre:
Bear Chaser   						 

Direct the Strike	[x ] Hammer and Anvil	

Conditionals/Resists:

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Sofia Laurell

Sofia dodges and weaves as the Webwarder's slashes at her. She can't quite move fast enough to avoid every strike however and earns herself a gash on her arms as she brings them up to guard. "Time to finish this!" she yells and throws one of her signature knee strikes at the Webwarder. She then repositions herself to intercept the other arachnid creature entering the battle. "Don't think I've forgotten about you," Sofia says she she throws a forearm strike. Unfortunately it comes up short, but she's definitely focused on it now.

Standard Action: Steel Serpent Strike vs AC (Flanking) to Arachnid Webwarder @ H7: 1d20+10+2 19 Hit! 2d10+4 13 damage
Arachnid Webwarder is marked and slowed and cannot shift until the end of my next turn.
Move Action: Shift to H5
Action Point: Grappling Strike vs AC to Arachnid Guardian @ H4: 1d20+10 12 Misses!
Arachnid Guardian is marked.

pre:
Sofia Laurell 						 
HP: 23/27		AC:   18		Passive Insight: 11
Initiative: +2		Ref:  14		Action Points: 0/1

Grappling Strike	[X] Steel Serpent Strike	
Brash Strike					
Cleave					

Conditionals/Resists: 
Inescapable Hold - Grabbed creatures must escape against Fortitude with Acrobatics

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
No post from Gnasc/frajaq since the previous turn. If anyone wants to play out his turn for him, please do so, or else I'm advancing the round with him having done nothing.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Pillars of Eternity happened, sorry about that :sweatdrop:

Gnasc

The creature almost finished by Sofia, Gnasc raises and brings his axe down on it, unfortunately it just gets lodged in the exoskeleton instead.

Snarling in frustration and cursing the abomination in daemonic language, the gnoll takes a quick breath and pulls the axe out, before trying an under-swing this time, the strength in his muscles chopping the arachnid's mandible off, spraying a foul ichor everywhere.

Standard Action: Melee Basic Attack vs AC: 1d20+7+2 13 1d12+7+2+2 12

Action Point!

Standard Action: Melee Basic Attack vs AC: 1d20+7+2 20 1d12+7+2+2 18 Damage

pre:
Gnasc   						 
HP: 29/29		AC:   17    Passive Insight: 11
Initiative: +4		Ref:  16    Action Points: 1/2

At Will			Encounter			
                        [ ] Power Strike	

Conditionals/Resists: 
+2 to all saving throws
+2 damage when bloodied

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Gnasc's furious axeswing cleaves through the larger arachnid and it falls to the ground in a heap as dead as the corpses in the sarcophagi. The other spindly horror clicks its teeth in frustration and lashes out at Sofia.

pre:
Standard Action:
Furious Volley vs AC: attack roll: 1d20+6; damage roll: 1d4
Attack 1: 26, hit! for 3 damage
Attack 2: 8 miss!
The Guardian chatters excitedly as it draws blood, and tries to draw away from the wrestler to go deeper into the adjoining room.

pre:
Move Action: Shift to H3, triggering an Opportunity Attack from Sofia Laurell
Melee Basic Attack vs AC: 1d20+10 12, miss!
It manages to slip away from her grasp. The neck bends at an impossible angle to look back to where it came from, with malevolent intent in its eyes.

pre:
-10/64 HP
AC 15; F/R/W 13/14/12
Dead

Arachnid Guardian, Level 1 Elite @ H3
46/46 HP
AC 15; F/R/W 13/13/12
Marked

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Pillars of Eternity is a hell of a drug.

Sofia Laurell

Undeterred by the spider creature's attacks, Sofia steps forth and and tries to grab it and keep it from escaping. "Where do you think you're going?" she asks as her arms lock around the thing and squeezes in for a bear hug.

Move Action: Shift to H4
Standard Action: Grappling Strike vs AC to Arachnid Guardian @ H3: 1d20+10 16 Hit! 1d10+4 14 damage
Arachnid Guardian is marked.

pre:
Sofia Laurell 						 
HP: 20/27		AC:   18		Passive Insight: 11
Initiative: +2		Ref:  14		Action Points: 0/1

Grappling Strike	[X] Steel Serpent Strike	
Brash Strike					
Cleave					

Conditionals/Resists: 

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Gnasc

Now here was a situation the gnoll rarely got himself into: being forced to attack from afar. With Sofia blocking the way to the last arachnid abomination, Gnasc drops the axe on the ground, pulls one of the scavenged javelins the group found earlier and tries throwing it at the beast.

Thankfully, and to his own surprise, the javelin actually penetrates the arachnid carapace.

Free Action: drop greataxe on the ground

Minor Action: ready javelin

Standard Action: Ranged Basic Attack vs AC: 1d20+5 16 1d4+8 11 Damage ?

This +8 at the damage roll looks kinda weird, I'm not sure if RBAs work with my Slayer poo poo or orokos bugged out?

pre:
Gnasc   						 
HP: 29/29		AC:   17    Passive Insight: 11
Initiative: +4		Ref:  16    Action Points: 1/2

At Will			Encounter			
                        [ ] Power Strike	

Conditionals/Resists: 
+2 to all saving throws
+2 damage when bloodied

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

===
pre:
Hark   						 
HP: 28/28		AC:   19    Passive Insight: 12
Surges:  7/7  (V: 10)	For:  15   Passive Perception: 17
Initiative: +4		Ref:  16    Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 6/8		Will: 14    Vision: low-light

Crane's Wings	        [ ] Second Wind			[ ] Masterful Spiral
Five Storms		[x]  Swift River Floods	
Flurry of Blows		[ ] Furious Assault			
			[ ] Wasteland Fury		

Conditionals/Resists: +2 speed when charging, 5 THP when first bloodied in encounter

With a grunt of disgust, Hark launches himself down the corridor, spinning past Sofia and trying to vault over the Arachnid Guardian's body -- but his leap is awkward and too low, and he stumbles back before a raking claw. Teeth gritted, he sets his feet and goes the other way -- sliding under the spider-thing's body and popping up on the other side. Cold sweat dots his brow, but he won't pause to wipe it away. What are you thinking? Thirty years ago you coulda done that, easy, but it ain't thirty years ago any more, is it?

Move: Try to move to H2, using Acrobatics to move through Guardian's space.
Acrobatics to move through enemy space: 1d20+9 13

Move: Let's try that again...
Acrobatics to move through enemy space: 1d20+9 16

Assuming standard DC 15 to move through an enemy, Hark should end up in H2, having drawn an OA from the guardian in the process.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bear Chaser

"Hit him again, lady!" Bear Chaser cheers.

Standard: Direct the Strike
Sofia's Attack: Melee Basic Attack vs AC: 1d20+11 27 1d10+4 5

pre:
Bear Chaser   						 

Direct the Strike	[ x] Hammer and Anvil	

Conditionals/Resists:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The arachnid finds itself trapped between all of you, and goes down fighting.

Hark, now near the bottom of the ramp leading down, can see into the next room.

The walls of the square room are covered in fist-sized bronze hooks, and the floor is littered with bones. Human bones. The far wall has a strange metal plate at about chest height. A quartet of withered human bodies stand in the center of the room, and you notice that they're all face down with clutching hands and vacant expressions.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Gnasc

After pulling the javelin out of the arachnid's body, Gnasc cautiously enters the room, greataxe back and tight in his hands.

He sniffs the air trying to sense anything, while slowly walking towards the metal plate at the far wall. "Grrr... Eating room? Sacrifice room? So many bones..."

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hark nudges one of the bodies with his staff. "Don't look like anyone's been eating this one..."

OOC: Are there any signs of damage to the bodies that might suggest how they died?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
On turning over one of the bodies, you see that the throat is slit cleanly through.

In fact, the three other victims were killed the same way.

Gnasc, you check the metal plate on the wall and find that it's flush against the rest of the stone wall. The only other distinguishing feature are eight small protrusions on it, spaced evenly.

OOC: In case it's not clear, feel free to keep posting back and forth even if the others haven't taken their "turn" yet when we're outside of combat.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Gnasc

The gnoll passes his hands over the protrusions, thinking back when the mayor gave them the task. "Hrm... I think... that strange helmet was taken from here?"

OOC: Did we bring the helmet with us? Or is it still with the mayor?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You do have the helmet with you.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Gnasc

Gnasc kneels to carefully bring the helmet out from his adventuring backpack. There is a moment of hesitation as he look down to the strange armor in his hands. He looks back to the group. "Be ready for anything!" he says, before sticking the helmet in the metal plate in it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The plate's protrusions fit into the holes of the helm exactly, and as you give it a little push, there's a soft 'click', and the plate swings open to be reveal a small cachet. Inside you see several stone tablets, roughly 9 by 9 inches in size, all densely packed with the dot and dash scribblings of all the other artifacts you've come across before. You can feel the significance of these tablets, even if you can't quite decipher the contents of their writings.

What do you with them?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bear Chaser

"Boring," Bear Chaser grunts, tilting his head at the tablets. "Was expecting spiked ball to crush us."

He looks up at the ceiling. No spiked ball. He crosses his stubby arms across his chest as he looks the indecipherable writings up and down. "... gonna take 'em," he decides. Slowly, he reaches out one of his hands, fingers brushing against one of the small tablets. He stops suddenly and looks up, expecting the spiked ball to make its debut any second now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Bear Chaser, as you grab one of the tablets and bring it out of the cache, everyone hears a series of whirring gears. Looking around, the large bronze hooks on the left- and right-hand walls start rotating, faster and faster as their cylinders begin extending away from their sockets. The cruelly barbed hooks will soon block your way out of the room.

The grinding of stone can also be heard - the incline leading out of the room is starting to flatten itself out!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Gnasc

"Hmnrr... these tablets must be what the Mayor wan-" The sudden movement of the room itself all around him makes the gnoll's fur stand out, a sudden sensation of panic filling his body. Growling, the Slayer tries to hurry and grabs all the tablets he can, before grabbing Bear Chaser's arm and running full speed at the room's exit before they're trapped. "QUICK! OUT OUT!"

Athletics: 1d20+8 25

frajaq fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 5, 2015

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Sofia Laurell

Sofia springs towards the exit. Being a newcomer to the business of dungeon delving, she can't help but be exasperated at the strange mechanics employed in the ancient ruin. "Why would it do that?! What kind of sadistic beings would design a room like this!?"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bear Chaser

"Not fault!" Bear Chaser screeches, clinging onto the tablet as he's pulled along by Gnasc. "Bear Chaser victim here! Can't resist treasure! Victim of circumstance!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Snatching a tablet, Hark runs for the entrance as fast as he can, ducking low to avoid the hooks.

Athletics: 1d20+5 14

• Locked thread