Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I liked them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Nope.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rats.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
i liked them. i wish they'd release an hd collection

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the idea was always interesting to me, op, but i never got a chance to play them

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
If I recall, I looked this up once and getting physical copies of all the games would run like $600. It is a series in desperate need of a rerelease.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mach2 posted:

If I recall, I looked this up once and getting physical copies of all the games would run like $600. It is a series in desperate need of a rerelease.

I think that's about what I spent buying all the associated media for it as well as the games back when they came out so I guess I still lose.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I tried getting into it, and I thought what I watched of sign was alright, but the internet told me the series was balls, so I stopped.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Seems like there should have been an actual online version at some point

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I think an online version was planned at some point

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

I tried getting into it, and I thought what I watched of sign was alright, but the internet told me the series was balls, so I stopped.

I think people say that because none of the individual series are particularly good at giving their own closure, but taken as a whole I still think the plot's pretty great. I can imagine people just playing the first 4 PS2 games and thinking that it didn't go anywhere, or just watching one of the animes and just being left confused.

Arian_Samurai posted:

Seems like there should have been an actual online version at some point

There was, but it was for the PS2 and was basically the original 4 PS2 games with no plot so it bombed super hard.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

sector_corrector posted:

the idea was always interesting to me, op, but i never got a chance to play them

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
No. Topic locked.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

yeah kinda

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah, it was okay. gu was better

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
they were fun enough but i did not like buying the same game 4 times

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

I remember playing the first one when it came out but iirc the dungeons were bland and there were a fuckton of them so I never played any of the others

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

metricchip posted:

I remember playing the first one when it came out but iirc the dungeons were bland and there were a fuckton of them so I never played any of the others

I will admit that I was not fully feeling it until the final boss of Infection... because Skeith is fuckin' cool.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always found it slightly ironic that the gay show about a virtual reality MMO life waster didn't have an MMO or even more than 1 or 2 games.

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014
I don't know what that it.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

I loved the concept and also took great pleasure in the semi-random realm generation thing where you mix three words together to make a new zone and you'd end up in like "putrid gluttonous paradise" or. "Dog-dancing solitary nothingness"

Another cool thing was the grunty animals that I do not really recall doing anything, but if you talked to them they would say like "I'm a brown belly grunty!" in really bad voice acting.

I feel like if I played them today though it would only be interesting for like 20 mins s because it's essentially an offline Korea mmo simulator with some anime cutscenes.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
they were ok. series went on way too long tho. should have died sooner than it did.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

red plastic cup posted:

they were ok. series went on way too long tho. should have died sooner than it did.

The Link stuff was completely retarded. At least the manga was.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

never played them

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
In the day I enjoyed them, but the gameplay hasn't aged all that well.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm sure someone did, yes, but I didn't very much. If that's what you're asking.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

I don't think any series where the premise is "YOU DIE IN THE GAME, YOU DIE IN THE REAL WORLD" has worked out well.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
IMOQ : Pros-nifty story, accurate grind

Cons-gameplay, $200

G.U : Pros-better gameplay, less grindy (at times), three games cheaper than four

Cons-dumb as balls story and characters

• Locked thread