Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Rusev agreed to the match under duress I want an appeal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I suspect that anyone claiming the Cena/Rusev segment was bad is so deep into meta-analysis and "but what does this mean for THE BOOKING?" rather than just taking stuff for what it is that they're going to find it hard to enjoy anything.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Or because it made Rusev look like a weak pathetic stupid joke(again) who is defending his title against resident unstoppable superman John Cena at Wrestlemania in a match no one believes Rusev will win, despite the fact that this feud could be serving to elevate Rusev to main event status.

Last year Cena fed on Wyatt for no loving reason and Bray has yet to recover. This year I hope Rusev can bounce back from the same treatment.

vvvvv:

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

So is it just me, or did the guy representing America kinda tortured a guy until he got what he wanted?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GrimGypsy posted:

Or because it made Rusev look like a weak pathetic stupid joke(again) who is defending his title against resident unstoppable superman John Cena at Wrestlemania in a match no one believes Rusev will win, despite the fact that this feud could be serving to elevate Rusev to main event status.

Last year Cena fed on Wyatt for no loving reason and Bray has yet to recover. This year I hope Rusev can bounce back from the same treatment.

He looked weak weeks after a back and forth feud with Cena where they've both been beating on each other. I'd prefer he didn't tap with both hands but the rest of it was fine. It's not like Rusev sells his unstoppable superman gimmick well since well, he sells a bunch. If he can be hobbled by Swagger he can tap to the STF outside of a match.

Superstring posted:

So is it just me, or did the guy representing America kinda tortured a guy until he got what he wanted?

He fought a guy 1 on 1 and put him in his move until he got what he wanted. A guy he hates who has injured him, cheated to beat him and talks poo poo about his country. It's pro wrestling, problems are solved with violence. Sometimes I wonder if people remember what they are watching.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Superstring posted:

I prefer the term "enhanced negotiation".

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
John Cena, the valiant babyface, beat the poo poo out of a man until he reached unconsciousness, only to revive him again and force him to beg for mercy after throwing a tantrum last week when his boss rightfully called him out for his sense of entitlement.

All while making this face.

John Cena, the valiant babyface. Nothing is wrong. Nothing is wrong. Nothing is wrong.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MassRafTer posted:

He looked weak weeks after a back and forth feud with Cena where they've both been beating on each other. I'd prefer he didn't tap with both hands but the rest of it was fine. It's not like Rusev sells his unstoppable superman gimmick well since well, he sells a bunch. If he can be hobbled by Swagger he can tap to the STF outside of a match.

He fought a guy 1 on 1 and put him in his move until he got what he wanted. A guy he hates who has injured him, cheated to beat him and talks poo poo about his country. It's pro wrestling, problems are solved with violence. Sometimes I wonder if people remember what they are watching.

They remember, they just hate Cena and like Rusev so this is going to be peoples reactions forever. They'll not remember he won at Fast Lane either, they'll be mad that it was slightly dirty even though Rusev's the heel. Honestly if we're going to talk about bad things on the show, this was not one of them. It could really have used JR though.

Superstring posted:

Yeah, though the message was more "No no, I'm not going to let you just pass out like I passed out, I am not leaving until I have what I want." it'll be good if they call back to it in the match) they wont) where Rusev passes out and then Cena wakes him again, or Visa versa, Cena collapses in the Accolade, and then before the ref calls for the bell Rusev slaps him awake. Because he wants to make him SUBMIT drat it.

EDIT: oh yeah, and it's nice that he's actually pulling hard on the STF now, like gently caress that looks uncomfortable.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

John Cena is a garbage bastard man.

He's got his match though.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

at Wrestlemania.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Rusev storyline will always suck until the premise isn't "man is openly patriotic to a different country against man from this country". Droll as hell.

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
The Authority should've had Dolph vacate the IC title rather than had him drop it to Barrett. Then, I could understand everyone trying to claim a vacated title by stealing it from one another rather than the IC title being the ring from Lord of the Rings.

E: What's more coveted? The IC title or the Andre trophy?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

This applies to everything in and about WWE right now

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aurain posted:

The Rusev storyline will always suck until the premise isn't "man is openly patriotic to a different country against man from this country". Droll as hell.

"Man constantly says country he is in sucks, has manager who says it sucks even more while praising a man confirmed by Dave Meltzer to be an evil genius."

Go to another country and start calling everyone stupid, useless and their country a failure and see how it goes.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

God I'm so ready for heel Cena again. Look at that face! Him and Regins are such natural heels.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

RBX posted:

God I'm so ready for heel Cena again. Look at that face! Him and Regins are such natural heels.

Heel Cena is going to fight Reigns and the crowd will love him.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
America does suck, tho.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

Prozach posted:

John Cena, the valiant babyface, beat the poo poo out of a man until he reached unconsciousness, only to revive him again and force him to beg for mercy after throwing a tantrum last week when his boss rightfully called him out for his sense of entitlement.

All while making this face.

John Cena, the valiant babyface. Nothing is wrong. Nothing is wrong. Nothing is wrong.

it's wrestling

Aurain posted:

it's wrestling

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Prozach posted:

To recap for anyone claiming Cena looks like anything but the worst man right now, the entire angle so far for Cena is:
- Picked a fight because his App promo was cut a little short.
- Beat up a guy in a non-match in front of the man's cowering girlfriend.
- Denied rematch.
- Throws hissy fit.
- Denied again.
- Says he's moving on to the Andre match, denied that.
- Throws hissy fit, beats up Axel extra hard just because.
- Beats up Rusev extra extra hard until Lana is upset & scared into giving in to his demands.

Rusev has, on occasion, continued to keep the Accolade on a guy after the bell has rung. He and Lana have said America sucks. They've dropped their own flag on Cena.

Cena is the biggest loving baby possible and if his target had an American accent, he would absolutely, definitively be the heel. 'Johnny Foreigner' is the entire (face) justification for Cena and against no other opponent would anything he's done be considered remotely face-esque.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
people complain that Cena blows off losing and then when he feels entitled to a rematch because the heel cheated they complain that he's being a whiny baby. lol

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

pressedbunny posted:

To recap for anyone claiming Cena looks like anything but the worst man right now, the entire angle so far for Cena is:
- Denied rematch.
- Throws hissy fit.
- Denied again.
- Beats up Rusev extra extra hard until Lana is upset & scared into giving in to his demands.

Rusev has, on occasion, continued to keep the Accolade on a guy after the bell has rung. He and Lana have said America sucks. They've dropped their own flag on Cena.

Cena is the biggest loving baby possible and if his target had an American accent, he would absolutely, definitively be the heel. 'Johnny Foreigner' is the entire (face) justification for Cena and against no other opponent would anything he's done be considered remotely face-esque.

I've gone into why most of this stuff is wrong but in what world did he beat up Axel extra hard just because? He had a match with Axel and after Stephanie McMahon came out to be a massive hypocrite and rear end in a top hat to him, Axel came out to be a delusional rear end in a top hat as well. Cena then warned him, then squashed him quickly where he didn't even really beat on him that much at all.

He beat him in a wrestling match.

What an rear end in a top hat.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Spermgod posted:

it's wrestling

it's wrestling

Sports Entertainment

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

pressedbunny posted:

- Denied rematch.
- Throws hissy fit.
- Denied again.

Cena strong.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Spermgod posted:

people complain that Cena blows off losing and then when he feels entitled to a rematch because the heel cheated they complain that he's being a whiny baby. lol

There's a middle ground between him not caring and going the full Patrick Bateman.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
i'm glad i don't live in the world some of you inhabit where every babyface is a clean-cut all-american Lawful Good hero. babyfaces being assholes and using underhanded tactics to get ahead has been part of wrestling for decades. the only reason people are complaining about it in this instance is because they don't like Cena.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Have Rusev beat Cena clean at Mania, causing Cena to descend into a terrifying spiral of self doubt, hatred and eventual madness.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

MassRafTer posted:

I've gone into why most of this stuff is wrong but in what world did he beat up Axel extra hard just because? He had a match with Axel and after Stephanie McMahon came out to be a massive hypocrite and rear end in a top hat to him, Axel came out to be a delusional rear end in a top hat as well. Cena then warned him, then squashed him quickly where he didn't even really beat on him that much at all.

He beat him in a wrestling match.

What an rear end in a top hat.
Faces don't put a guy in a submission after they've already squashed him in one move. Faces don't threaten people—however delusional—with GBH. Heroes don't demand to be on the PPV "because I'm me and I have to be on every PPV because reasons".

ed: and I would like to point out that even if squashing Axel hadn't have happened at all, everything else would still point to Cena being playground bully numero uno.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

pressedbunny posted:

Faces don't put a guy in a submission after they've already squashed him in one move. Faces don't threaten people—however delusional—with GBH. Heroes don't demand to be on the PPV "because I'm me and I have to be on every PPV because reasons".

have you actually watched wrestling before

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Spermgod posted:

i'm glad i don't live in the world some of you inhabit where every babyface is a clean-cut all-american Lawful Good hero. babyfaces being assholes and using underhanded tactics to get ahead has been part of wrestling for decades. the only reason people are complaining about it in this instance is because they don't like Cena.

He stretched a man until he passed out and the woke him up to stretch him again. Russev hasn't done anything approaching that bad to Cena.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The thing in WWE I'm most looking forward to is this thread once DB is losing to Stardust and Luke Harper in non-title matches.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Spermgod posted:

have you actually watched wrestling before
Yes, and I don't recall ever seeing a supposed top hero face of a company doing this kind of thing to this kind of extent for this many weeks on end. Other than maybe some of the nWo WCW clusterfucks, of course.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

pressedbunny posted:

ed: and I would like to point out that even if squashing Axel hadn't have happened at all, everything else would still point to Cena being playground bully numero uno.

Yeah right. Faces go for revenge all the time. Faces get angry, faces beat the crap out of people. In the 80s if you were feuding with a manager's stable you'd finally get a match where if you won you got 5 minutes with the manager. The weak, pathetic guy would be stuck with you and people would go wild. Then the manager's new charge would come in for the save and restart the feud. What do you think Kaufman/Lawler was? Andy was a huge dick to the people of Memphis and women so Lawler stood up for them and took pride in sending him to the hospital.

Rusev has attacked managers, he's cheated, he's bullied people, he's insulted America, he's injured Cena, he's lied about Cena, insulted his honor and cowardly denied him a rematch despite blatantly cheating to win. Somehow this makes Cena a whiny baby even though wrestling is full of faces getting hosed and then wanting rematches. It's a part of real sports. It was a huge part of Flair's heel title reigns! John Cena was wronged by two petty xenophobes. He's even gone so far as to say he respects Rusev's patriotism but doesn't like how he treats America. This is the only feud in WWE getting any heat right now and there's a reason for that, it's really good.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The manager he attacked was a fascist with a silly moustache. Russev did the right thing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Spermgod posted:

it's wrestling
I guess the poo poo thing is not poo poo because of that then. Not saying it's not okay to enjoy things that are poo poo, I partake in that quite often (WWE).

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

MassRafTer posted:

"Man constantly says country he is in sucks, has manager who says it sucks even more while praising a man confirmed by Dave Meltzer to be an evil genius."

Go to another country and start calling everyone stupid, useless and their country a failure and see how it goes.

Isn't this what, like, half of our political system is doing to the other half? poo poo, Mitt Romney capped off his presidential campaign by calling half of the country lazy, entitled moochers who will never care for themselves.

Calling America a shitpile is a time honored tradition in this country!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aurain posted:

I guess the poo poo thing is not poo poo because of that then. Not saying it's not okay to enjoy things that are poo poo, I partake in that quite often (WWE).

It is a world where violence is used to solve problems. Cena ran down and beat him in a fair fight where Rusev even got in the first blows.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Mm, yes, you dumb smarks just don't understand how genius these boring lovely heat-less WM feuds really are.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

GrimGypsy posted:

Mm, yes, you dumb smarks just don't understand how genius these boring lovely heat-less WM feuds really are.

that segment was one of the only things that actually woke the crowd up on the entire show. did you watch it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GrimGypsy posted:

It's the only match with any heat and doing that stuff had the crowd chanting Cena. I'd ask if you even watched the show but your posts make it pretty clear you never do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
If they brought up any of Rusev's past feuds then I'd be slightly on board with that thinking. If Cena was standing up to the bully who has run over all his friends, I'd get it. They haven't been doing that, they've not included that stuff. WWE ignores anything which happens more than two months ago. The entirety of this angle, from the start, has been Cena throwing his weight around because he thinks it's his right to do so. Cena didn't give a poo poo about Rusev until his last sentence of a promo on the app was cut short by Rusev wanting to use the mic to shittalk somebody else. The start of this whole thing was literally just that Cena didn't get to finish his sentence and Rusev ignored him.

Flair never picked a fight with someone because they weren't paying attention to him.

ed: and trying to gauge how 'hot' an angle is because of one crowd's reaction is lunacy. Every crowd cheers, boos or goes dead for different angles and matches. Cena can be cheered wildly in one city then booed the next week in another. Some crowds are dead for everything, some are hot for everything, some flip a coin every segment. If you sat through the last 12 months of WWE programming and haven't picked up on this, I have no idea what to say to you.

pressedbunny fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 10, 2015

• Locked thread