Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Fatal Fury Final

Do you like SNK? Do you like Fatal Fury? Have you ever wanted to see Fatal Fury re-imagined as a beat 'em up? You better have, because it's pretty neat. Fatal Fury Final is a decent fan-made tribute with a good heart.

What kind of LP is this?

Video, post commentary, 100%. No, you won't be seeing every single frame of content, but you will be seeing every game mode and what it has to offer.

Why should I care?

2D beat 'em ups have a long history, and they seem to swap ideas back and forth as generously as possible. Streets of Rage and Final Fight massively influenced nearly every game in the genre, but even so, it's relatively hard to find a game that encompasses all of the elements of traditional beat 'em up design. This is where Fatal Fury Final comes in. It has nearly every piece of design I've come to know and love from its ancestors, as well as copious amounts of extra features and playable characters.

Who made this game?

People collectively named SEEP, who appear to be deeply in love with the genre.

That's enough exposition, let's wreak some vengeance.

Path of Vengeance

Bout One: Duck King

Side Bout: Mighty Final Fight

Bout Two: Richard Meyer

Side Bout: Mystical Fighter

Bout Three: Michael Max

Side Bout: WWF Betrayal

Bout Four: Hwa Jai

Side Bout: Final Justice

Bout Five: Raiden

Side Bout: Burning Fight

Bout Six: Billy Kane

Side Bout: Power Rangers Samurai

Final Bout: Geese Howard

Extras

Quest Mode: Justice

Goits of Rage

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Night10194 posted:

That is some powerful, powerful engrish.

The game was made by an Italian group, and the English translation was done by a Japanese person. It's a miracle it turned out this well.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

Is this running on the Beats of Rage engine or another one?

Yeah, the OpenBOR engine. The devs have used it to make quite a few other games, like Night Slashers X.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Superstring posted:

Wait you mean it's not intentional? I thought that was supposed to be part of the charm. :stare:

I am almost positive that it is accidental, but I can't read Italian to find out how grammatically correct the original text is or isn't.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Rollersnake posted:

Oh my God, the walking animations.

*bobbing animations

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's dig into our first bit of side-content with a completely different re-imagined beat 'em up.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Time for our next fight, as we head into Pao Pao Cafe. Let's dance, Richard.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

Thought so. I used to follow the BoR community a lot, as it was a fun engine, and OpenBOR added a lot of stuff. I kinda drifted away from it after I didn't have time to make the game I wanted to. Still, Roel and the Senile Team guys are all really nice people, and if you get a chance to play it, Rush Rush Rally Racing is a lot of fun. I'm still wondering if Age of the Beast will ever come out though.

Also, a small note on Mighty Final Fight and the experience system. If you have full life and pick up food, it gives you a ton of XP, so it's sometimes better to pick it up before you need it.

What game were you planning to make?

And I actually didn't know that about Mighty Final Fight, so thank you. I also wound up calling Sodom just "this samurai". Oops.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

One based on a really embarrassing story some people and I made years ago. It was so cringeworthy. I would have had to do all the artwork myself, and my artistic talent is not very good (read: is terrible).

Don't worry. Capcom couldn't decide on his name either. They called him Katana at one point. Same for Thrasher, who is more commonly known as Damnd.

I do like in this game how they are seemingly having the bosses join you. It's a nice touch since in the Fatal Fury storyline, most of them are all friends after kicking lumps out of each other. With the exception of Geese, Billy, Lawrence, Yamazaki, and possibly Krauser (since he was mainly more interested in just being the strongest fighter and not being some massive crime lord), everyone in the Fatal Fury universe becomes friends.

Oh, and White too, but screw that Clockwork Orange scumbag.

Fatal Fury is a far less fatal universe than one would think.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In our second bit of side-content, we explore a vague representation of Japan.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Neige posted:

Are you going to do all the strange Japanese side-scrolling Beat-em-ups? When will be the turn for Super Ninja Baseball Batman?

While I love Ninja Baseball Batman, and it's got style for days, there are already quite a few other beat 'em ups competing for spots.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 13, 2015

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

Pretty much. only Geese actually dies (in the ending of Real Bout leading to him leaving Rock in Terry's care). All other bad guys survive (Billy, Krauser, Lawrence, Yamazaki, Chonshu, Chonrei, and in the case of the latter, they become good guys and go to train with Tung).

Michael Max and Axel Hawk did vanish without a trace, but they were boring anyway.

Yeah, about Michael...

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It's time we have a showdown with Michael Max on what is apparently Terry's favorite beach in the world.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In our third piece of side-content, we repeatedly beat people with a wrench as Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

I've been following this thread, and I just wanted to say that while I don't have much to add, I've really been enjoying this generalized look at side scrolling beat em ups, and can't wait to see more!

I am skipping over better known titles like Streets of Rage and the original Final Fight, but only for the sake of showing a wider view of the whole genre.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

Does anyone remember a beat 'em up that had you freeing wild animals from poachers and poo poo?

Growl/Runark is probably what you're thinking of.

"Set in the early 20th century, the player controls a forest ranger who must protect the local wildlife from a group of evil poachers who are driving the animals to extinction."

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

I recommend you trying Sengoku 3 as one of your choices. That game is a lot of fun and a vast improvement over the first two Sengoku games.

Bonus points if you do Guardians of the Hood. Actually, seriously, do Guardians of the Hood because... reasons...

Sengoku 3 is wonderful, but it deserves to be more than side-content, so until I find a way to properly showcase it, it's not going to be popping up.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

I just looked up a vid of it and...wow. I think I developed epilepsy from that game alone.

Also, the setting is all kinds of nuts. You're forest rangers in the early 20th century? You start out in a bar that gets firebombed, then immediately pick up a modern rocket launcher to use against the vaguely arab, female or newsie looking enemies. Occasionally you stop people capturing animals, and the animal helps you. The first boss has you cornered by a zoo train while your falcon helps you fight. He's a big fat man in a samurai helmet and shoulderpads, with lit dynamite strapped to his chest who throws a jalopy at you.

I'm stunned.

Taito is like that. It also wasn't their only beat 'em up.

Hoss Corncave posted:

Definitely sounds like Growl. It was an okay game.

And true, Sengoku 3 deserves more of a spotlight on it. Instead, you could try Gaia Crusaders. It was also by Noise Factory but not as deep.

Also, if you won't play Guardians of the Hood (and I really don't blame you for that decision), you could try another name with Guardians in the name: Denjin Makai II. It's surprisingly good fun.

Well, I definitely want to play Guardians of the Hood, but the question I am asking myself is whether it is ethical to choose it over one of many better options.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

I've never heard anyone willingly want to play Guardians of the Hood. I might do a LP of it to save you from that ethical decision. That is if I can make it through a level without it crashing.

Tung being the best character is a strong statement considering that the Fatal Fury series alone has Geese, Krauser, Yamzaki, Billy, Gato, Grant, etc. I agree about MotW Terry > regular Terry though. That was a really nicely done redesign.

I definitely wouldn't complain about someone making an LP of such an interesting game. I have to wonder what exactly Atari was thinking about when they developed it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

I like to think it was something along the lines of "Guys, we made Pit-Fighter. People loved Pit-Fighter, right guys? Guys?"

They must've really wanted the concept to work.

Choco1980 posted:

This thread keeps making me think someone needs to make a beat em up megathread. I know I'd read it.

That is actually a really good idea.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

Can I be super lazy and post my no-death run of Maximum Carnage back in the Hard Games thread? Since god knows I'm not doing *that* again.

Yes, that sounds like an excellent idea.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Will be watching today.

Hoss Corncave posted:

I dare you to do Separation Anxiety.

Also, after spending far more time than I'm willing to admit to in the training mode in Guardians of the Hood, I think I've worked out the movesets. Well, at least Chief's one (still need to work out what the backbreaker is). At least they learned their lesson with the piledriver after the stupidity of the Pit Fighter one.

I don't suppose there are any FAQs, are there?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

Not that I can find. I worked out the backbreaker today though. It's LP+LK on a kneeling opponent.

You are a brave man.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

Brave or stupid. Maybe a mix of both.

Just think of yourself as an anthropologist.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In this next video, we punch more bad guys.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

I don't think that's going to work.

Also, did Hwa not join the group after that? I'm guessing Raiden probably won't either.

Although, an interesting idea for Raiden would be if after he was beaten, he renounced working for Geese and then became playable, but using his Big Bear character and sprites from FF2, since that's what happens in the FF storyline. That said, Hwa become's Joe's sparring partner after the original, so it could be believable that he'd join the group now.

The story is based only on the original game, so we won't be seeing Big Bear, unfortunately.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In this next bit of side content, we dive into the world of doujin. Just a little.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In this next video, we beated Raiden.

Bout Five: Raiden

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

drat, Tung's super form is really strong. Why would you pick anyone else if it just stays forever, and are there any drawbacks to it?

Also, I was kinda disappointed that the doujin game you did wasn't a full parody of Final Fight complete with a doujin Haggar.

The only drawback to his super form is that it uses half your energy meter to transform. But you get that back so quickly it doesn't really matter.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In this video, we play my favorite beat em up of all time.

Goits of Rage

april fools

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

I did think this was less a loose playthrough of a troll mod and more you releasing some sort of new hip music track with random voice and Streets of Rage music samples that you had seemingly managed to sync gameplay perfectly with.

I honestly wish that's what this was. That would've been great.

I can't tell if Goits of Rage is a parody/spoof of the original Beats of Rage that came with the engine, someone's really strange dadaist art project, or a guy dicking around with people.

Oh, and that six mintues of gameplay in the video was actually 60 minutes of realtime gameplay.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In this video, we take a look at SNK's answer to Final Fight.

Side Bout: Burning Fight

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

Yeah, it looked like you had cut out a lot of footage. I like to think you were constantly saying "We can... play..." all the way through it as well. Also, I don't think we're supposed to know what Goits of Rage is. In fact, I'm sure our minds can't comprehend it and would explode from the sheer amount of the unbelievable fantastic.

Ahhh, so it was Burning Fight where the coins came from. I remember playing it and thinking "Cool, another game like Streets of Rage!" and then being thoroughly bored by it. I was young and foolish.

DeathChicken posted:

The guns kind of reminded me of The Punisher, and then I was sad since that game was actually good.

A lot of people consider Burning Fight to be a "kusoge". I wouldn't say it's that bad, but it was literally just Final Fight with a kick mechanic and less interesting bosses.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

I'll try playing through it again at some point this week (yes, I know I should be practicing on Guardians of the Hood, but, y'know, it's Guardians of the Hood and all that) and see if my opinion has changed in... about 15 years.

I think I only discovered the game because Duke was an extra striker in KOF2000 and I decided to see where he came from, and then decided to play it when I found out it was a scrolling beatemup.

Duke made a cameo in KOF?

Either way, don't put your expectations too high. The bosses are mildly enjoyable and there's some decent level design, but it builds to an unimpressive and abrupt climax. I recommend playing 64th Street instead.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

Yeah, a bunch of characters from other games showed up as striker only characters. All characters in the game had alternate striker characters that could be selected. Off the top of my head, the ones not from KOF/FF/AOF that I can remember are:

Duke (Burning Fight)
Nakoruru (Samurai Shodown)
Gai Tendou (Buriki One)
Kaede (Last Blade)
Rocky (Robo Army)
G-Mantle (SNK mascot)
Fio (Metal Slug)
King Lion and Kim Sue Il (Savage Reign/Kizuna Encounter)
Neo and Geo (Quiz *something* - I forget the name of it)

Thing is, pretty much all of them are pointless. G-Mantle has some decent combo potential, but he's not Joe or Seth or Another Iori or Syo.

And I'm trying to remember 64th Street. I know I've played it before but I can't remember much of it.

64th Street's main unique feature is that you hurl enemies into the background, instead of to your sides, which allows for slightly more interaction with the environment than other beat em ups.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

I'm watching the longplay of it and all I can think of is "What was on the letter and the adverts in the paper?"

Also, I quite audibly said "WHY DID YOU DROP THE PIPE WHEN YOU'RE ONLY GOING AROUND THE CORNER ONTO THE NEXT STREET?" which got some funny looks from my coworkers. Then I realised why he did it: "because beatemups".

Is there a traditional 2D beat em up in which there is not a pipe?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

Yes, ironically, Burning Fight doesn't have one. I just played through the game and didn't see one at all. Knife, bottle, gun, dynamite, and stick are all in, but no pipe.

Did you complete it? Maybe stick is the new pipe. Just a lot less durable.

How'd you feel about that abrupt final boss and ending?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

Yes I did. There was some cheap stuff from the fat sumo guys if you get surrounded since they'll knock you down and do a jumping attack that you can't avoid as you get up. Billy can't even special because he's not invincible until the shoulder charge starts, so he is taking damage from them whether he likes it or not.

And the final boss seemed like a bad Belger rip off, and Belger was a bad boss in the first place.

Also, pipe > stick. No doubt about it.

It's a game where getting knocked over is a death sentence, yeah.

At least Belger had character.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

It's just the fact that your special attack should be an emergency escape or a "Get the hell off me!" move where you're invincible throughout and it takes some life off you or uses some other mechanic (like SOR3's power bars). However, the Burning Fight ones aren't (or at least Billy's isn't). They are at least the single most damaging moves in the game from the player side, and at least don't take life off you if you don't hit anyone.

Eh, he was alright. He had a wheelchair and a crossbow, fell out of a high building and then went on to become a zombie. He never took over the town or anything, he just kidnapped the mayor's daughter. At least Mr. X did what he set out to do before he got defeated. Well, except in Streets of Rage 3, but that plot was way too dumb.

I just liked the implication that he was so lovely he hid in a wheelchair to avoid being fought.

And Mr. X is by far my favorite beat em up villain, but I'm heavily biased toward Streets of Rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In this video, we take on the infamous Billy Kane

Bout Six: Billy Kane

• Locked thread