Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I tried out Yggdroid/Hoplite myself, and was pretty disatisfied. I guess immunity to binds was a good thing, but their tiny TP pool was annoying to work with. During my time of using one, I just wished that I was using an actual Hoplite instead. I dunno how well a YM would work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Yggdroid/Monk gets around the fact that Monks don't have the strength to make good use of the Barehanded skill tree. Take the innate immunity to binds, and combine it with Waking Chakra/Virus Scanner, & you'll also be practically immune to status ailments. The downside is they have neither the TP nor the speed to make effective healers. Neither of those is a dealbreaker if you have another healer, and a Zodiac.

The real problem is that the chaser bots are garbage. Breakfire Fist hits multiple times, but you'll only get one chase out of it. You could put out more than one bot, but then you don't have a 5th actual party member. This part of a larger problem with the chaser skills in EOIII, all of which are equally terrible with the exception of Warrior's Might.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Clearly EO3U will make robots much better.

I hope.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well they made the Beast better, so I'm pretty hopeful.

Y/H is usable, since I've, well, used it, but it definitely appreciates Dark Ether. Though with how my Z/N was set up, I could use that move every other turn, while the other one did Etheric spells. It also made my Arbalist much more effective.

Also, while I remember, EOU2 has DLC that totals up to 40% of the game's retail price. This is using yen and I don't know if it counts the Highlander as being free for the first month (which doesn't apply anymore, I guess). This might not be the same with $, but that estimate means you'll be spending $24 on top of the $60 you paid for. EU need not apply.

And it shouldn't have taken me so long to realize, but the MC may be a bit overpowered since the 4 other classes are supportive. I don't know of all their skillsets, but it's very interesting that this game starts off with quite a defensive approach. I know everything gets insane later, but this is EO. It always does.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Rangpur posted:

Yggdroid/Monk gets around the fact that Monks don't have the strength to make good use of the Barehanded skill tree. Take the innate immunity to binds, and combine it with Waking Chakra/Virus Scanner, & you'll also be practically immune to status ailments. The downside is they have neither the TP nor the speed to make effective healers. Neither of those is a dealbreaker if you have another healer, and a Zodiac.

The real problem is that the chaser bots are garbage. Breakfire Fist hits multiple times, but you'll only get one chase out of it. You could put out more than one bot, but then you don't have a 5th actual party member. This part of a larger problem with the chaser skills in EOIII, all of which are equally terrible with the exception of Warrior's Might.

Don't underestimate how crazy people can get when it comes to these games

camcorder warning

Crosspeice posted:

And it shouldn't have taken me so long to realize, but the MC may be a bit overpowered since the 4 other classes are supportive. I don't know of all their skillsets, but it's very interesting that this game starts off with quite a defensive approach. I know everything gets insane later, but this is EO. It always does.

Chloe ends up doing some pretty ridiculous numbers as well. War Magus seems to focus a bit more on the "War" in EOU2.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, the War Magus got turned into a Nightseeker lite since they got a huge buff in that their sword skills no longer need to be used on enemies with specific status effects. As long as the enemy is hit by any status, their big damage skill can hit for 8 times the damage at level 10, and 11 times as powerful at level 20. That means they can dish out damage on par with the Fafnir.

If I'm understanding things right, apparently Arianna turns into a damage dealer lategame. Not sure how that works, I think it might involve Regal Radiance? Flavio is more of an offensive support, which is far better than OG EO2 Survivalists I guess.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Complexcalibur posted:

Etrian Odyssey 4 is often said to be the easiest game in the series, but I think that's just because of how they streamlined the skill trees. Meanwhile 2 is considered to be the hardest, and that game has the most frustrating skill point tax out of all of them.

I've been distracted from EO4 and still haven't played more than a few hours of it. I'm gonna go play it, someday. Really. :v:

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

That's not the Wildling solo fight. :v:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

That's a new one on me. The Crush Amulets negate the damage from Overheat, I assume? Hell, I didn't even know you could do that. poo poo like this is why I love the series. :allears:

That said, a gimmick party built to defeat a specific enemy isn't super helpful when it comes to team building advice for the main game. Even if it IS built to defeat the strongest enemy in the game.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

The horrible truth of EO3 is that the best armor in the game is worse than accessories.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hivac posted:

The horrible truth of EO3 is that the best armor in the game is worse than accessories.

Should I be putting accessories on everyone, what's the good accessories?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

The three amulets you get in the 5th Stratum for Crush/Slash/Pierce are good enough to reduce a specific type down to near-single digits if you have two stacked, so if you know what attacks a boss uses you can almost completely shut down their offenses.

It really only matters once you get to postgame bosses though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Rangpur posted:

That's a new one on me. The Crush Amulets negate the damage from Overheat, I assume? Hell, I didn't even know you could do that. poo poo like this is why I love the series. :allears:

Nah, Overheat can't kill you, unlike Blood Surge. Berserker's Vow is the same way.

Regy Rusty posted:

Like I said in the last thread, defensive equipment is actually as a third as effective as the listed value. It only really matters in the postgame, since you can make a couple of fights a lot easier if you stack certain accessories.

There's a reason why accessory stacking isn't possible anymore in EO4 and EOU, but apparently you can do it in EO2U? Not sure about that yet.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alright so I guess I'll worry about that stuff later. Tonight I'm gonna try to plow through the rest of the 3rd stratum.

I'm wasting my time painting in all the lava on B11F aren't I? But I just... can't resist...

E: God drat the Jolly Roger rapier does so much damage.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 11, 2015

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

E: God drat the Jolly Roger rapier does so much damage.

One of the reasons I'm such a huge advocate for Buccaneer is how sequence-breakable it is in terms of equipment. Ace's in the 1st Stratum and Jolly Roger in the 3rd/4th is so ridiculous.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

You're making me want to grind for the Jolly Roger rapier now. I'm in the 4th stratum but haven't picked up much new gear yet despite hitting all the gather points.

The ghost ship shouldn't be -too- hard if I'm past the guardian, right?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Tyty posted:

You're making me want to grind for the Jolly Roger rapier now. I'm in the 4th stratum but haven't picked up much new gear yet despite hitting all the gather points.

If you have antifire and not-terrible damage you can kill it at almost any point in the game, to be honest. 1st Stratum is pushing it a bit.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tyty posted:

Ghost ship was doable on two of the 3 line ups before I even set foot in the 3rd stratum. I got the Jolly Roger when I went back to beat the third one since that was too hard for me earlier (it was the Princess Farmer team because they were utterly useless). By this point (around level 32) he was really easy.

That said, while Jolly Roger is amazing now in the 3rd stratum, I'm not sure it would be worth it for you to grind for it now that you're a full area further along.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Ghost ship was doable on two of the 3 line ups before I even set foot in the 3rd stratum. I got the Jolly Roger when I went back to beat the third one since that was too hard for me earlier (it was the Princess Farmer team because they were utterly useless).

That said, while Jolly Roger is amazing now in the 3rd stratum, I'm not sure it would be worth it for you to grind for it now that you're a full area further along.

The Jolly Roger outclasses like half of the normal drop Rapiers in the 5th Stratum I think

By then you should be able to go for the Guardian conditional that gives you one of the best rapiers in the game anyways.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hivac posted:

The Jolly Roger outclasses like half of the normal drop Rapiers in the 5th Stratum I think

In that case yeah go grind for it if you want. He should be incredibly easy by now.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yes, get the Jolly Roger, it's amazing.

You'll probably luck into it since you need to beat every sea boss four times to get everything, even if it's unnecessary. Some of the items they give you are really useful, though.

Also, I forgot that THIS was EOU2's extra dungeon's normal battle theme. I love it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Naval Ram (Sell it to unlock the Jolly Roger) has a 10% chance of dropping. You either have to get lucky for it to drop, or to wait until much later in the game to get the Lucky Hammer limit. I wouldn't use a Formaldehyde to get it, it's kind of a waste. Especially if you're not using a Prince or Buccaneer.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ahh it wouldn't be an Etrian Odyssey game without me finding an optional boss that utterly steamrolls me. Golem, Chameleon King, and now Wicked Queen.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Ahh it wouldn't be an Etrian Odyssey game without me finding an optional boss that utterly steamrolls me. Golem, Chameleon King, and now Wicked Queen.

I wasn't able to kill Wicked Queen until I beat story mode.

There's another quest that unlocks a boss in the 5th Stratum that you won't be able to beat for quite a while, I honestly find it harder than the trio.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Wicked Queen is doable if you have your party wear a bunch of crush amulets. Or whichever accessories have 3 crush forges on them. The problem is that doing that and then trying to fight the Wicked Queen results in a long drawn out boring fight, where it just turns into a poking contest between your party and the boss. So save her for later.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So is Pincushion best taken just to level 4 to get the chance to hit 3 times? It looks like it gets really expensive TP wise without getting too much stronger beyond that point.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Hivac posted:

For as powerful as KoF is, I hope that EOU2's plot focuses more on the actual main character because holy crap while I like Frederica's design she is such a boring character. Also, EOU brought up stuff about the Highlanders early on and to my knowledge it pretty much got dropped and I don't think it was ever brought up again beyond some vague mention later.

Literally the only thing we find out about Highlanders is that they're a tribe from the east that practices "True Justice™".

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

So is Pincushion best taken just to level 4 to get the chance to hit 3 times? It looks like it gets really expensive TP wise without getting too much stronger beyond that point.

Noooo? Are you thinking of a different skill, because Pincushion becomes much much stronger at Level 10 at 32TP compared to 26TP at Level 4.

It won't be hugely impressive until you pump that AGI stat high.

When in doubt, ~Skill Sim~

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Either way Pincushion is a skill that benefits tremendously from a TP battery.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

General rule of thumb is that damage classes always max out their damage skills. A 23% to 69% damage increase is fairly nice.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Thanks for making a new thread. I wouldn't have known that EOU2 was announced for localization without it. :)

Really though, I want V more than anything. IV was my first Etrian game and is still my favorite. But it's fun to go through the backlog of old games with these remakes. Sure hope we get EOU3.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I hope EO3U is the last of the Untold games and fixes the issues everyone had with the previous two. EO2U looks really good despite all the complaints, so I'm really hopeful.

I do wonder how Story Mode will handle the alternate endings, though.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

They might pare it down to two endings and have it be a simple City/Road choice and then the Progenitor is the real final boss regardless.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Welcome back, thread!

I'm still stuck on goddamn iwaronopenelopycruz. God, I hate grinding! EOU can suck it!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Grimoires better not be in EO3U if it happens. Subclassing was much less frustrating to work with, as broken as it was.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't think there's going to be a EO3U

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

please quote that post and shame me with it if there is

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Cake Attack posted:

please quote that post and shame me with it if there is

I will.

Because I want them to make one.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

I'm still stuck on goddamn iwaronopenelopycruz. God, I hate grinding! EOU can suck it!

Go to the right side, as a note. It's easier to get to the bird by the slower FOEs.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Grimoires better not be in EO3U if it happens. Subclassing was much less frustrating to work with, as broken as it was.

Why not Grimoires and Subclassing?

Just imagine all of the ridiculous combinations. :supaburn:

And you'd have an alternate to Grimoires if you were unlucky with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

Welcome back, thread!

Are you playing on Story or Classic mode? Use Raquna's Volt Wall every 3-4 turns, including the 1st turn, and have Arthur spam his Ice attacks. If you're playing on Classic though, yeah you'll have to grind. Even if you do all the quests, not having access to Gladsheim puts them behind the curve quite a bit. The game expects your party to be level 55 around that time. It's dumb, and I'm glad EO2U's avoiding that problem.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Why not Grimoires and Subclassing?

Just imagine all of the ridiculous combinations. :supaburn:

And you'd have an alternate to Grimoires if you were unlucky with them.

That just sounds like it would be a huge mess.

• Locked thread