Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

The game expects your party to be level 55 around that time. It's dumb, and I'm glad EO2U's avoiding that problem.

I assume this is Expert, because here in Normal, I'm reaching 45. So I'm sure it'll be a cakewalk.

That is the problem I have, Expert is just a bit too much bullshit for my wimpy casual liking, whereas Normal is, uh, easy. Or maybe I'm really good at this game. :v:

I think next time I play, or indeed EOU2, I'll have a mix of Expert and Normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I dunno, other than one or two roadbumps, Expert in EOU felt like Classic Etrian Odyssey to me. Mind you, Iwaoropenelep was one of those roadblocks, until I figured out how to avoid the FOEs joining in...

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I haven't been following EO news for quite a few months now, what's been the verdict on EOU2 in Japan? Is the story more interesting? Can you change the parties classes (i doubt this but eh) The MC's class seems interesting but I'd rather not be stuck with a boring cast and party composition, which is the main reason I dropped EOU

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

theshim posted:

I dunno, other than one or two roadbumps, Expert in EOU felt like Classic Etrian Odyssey to me. Mind you, Iwaoropenelep was one of those roadblocks, until I figured out how to avoid the FOEs joining in...
EOU Expert felt a lot harder than EO1 to me, at least classic mode. EO1 at least let you easily cheese through 2/3rds of it. :shobon:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Just wanted to leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB9lhfJeu2U

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
EO3 class question, are bare handed monks a lot faster than princesses? I have a princess and eventually planning to switch to monk/princess. Still in first stratum.

I am a bit disappointed that Prevent order doesn't work as well as I hoped because of speed. Like when fighting the Furyhorns their panic the front row move would come before Prevent order during the turn, so it couldn't be cast. I don't remember having that problem with the Dancers in EO4 because of their high speed.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Levelling up a skill usually makes it faster, but for now, your monk can handle status, your princess can focus on other orders. But prevent order can be very useful, just not right now.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Equipping a dagger could also help with speed.

Also Prevent Order isn't terribly useful until like the 4th Stratum boss and even then I'd say only for Shin.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
I don't have a monk in the active party yet.

Oh that's a shame because I loved discovering Refresh Waltz and Freedom Waltz in EO4 and how they trivialized the annoying mass status effect/bind causing enemies. (with the exception of Fallen One). And I was hoping it would be like that but a bit worse.

I thought to only put one point into it because the higher levels only seemed to reduce the TP cost.

Never seen Shin, I went Armoroad last time and planning to do it again.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's almost required for a large chunk of the postgame bosses. It's just not really a thing to invest points into for like the first half of the game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Are you required to fight one of the Poison Dragon FOEs on EO3's B12F to progress or did I fail to solve the puzzle? They're not hard or anything but I feel like I probably missed something.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Regy Rusty posted:

Are you required to fight one of the Poison Dragon FOEs on EO3's B12F to progress or did I fail to solve the puzzle? They're not hard or anything but I feel like I probably missed something.

No you don't have to, there are always shortcuts or lava boats to take that will allow you to get ahead of their final stopping point.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

If you do solve the puzzle it lets you bypass most of the floor though which is nice.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

When you enter B12F they're at fixed positions. Then they move to another fixed position, usually at an intersection where you need to go, and squat there for the rest of eternity. They all move in unison too, so there's no way to beat the furthest ones to their spot but I think you can avoid fighting them if you take the long way around. It's a case where you need a map of basically the entire area in order to plan your route carefully if you want to race them.

To be honest though, I usually just beat them down with Etheric Charge and one of the elemental limit breaks.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You need to avoid wasting time and just rush through the place. This includes battles. Either end them fast, or just run. The shortcuts actually take a longer time to get through, but they let you get around the lizards.

Leveling up skills also increases their accuracy. A level 10 skill will hit a lot more often than a level 1 skill. As for Prevent Order, yeah just leave a single point in it. The Prince and Monk are already fast classes, and they don't have TP issues.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I tried to figure out how to sneak past the second one that got in my way but I guess I managed to waste one single turn too many. So I just killed him too. Oh well.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah I tried to figure out how to sneak past the second one that got in my way but I guess I managed to waste one single turn too many. So I just killed him too. Oh well.

Equip the Aegis limit you got from the sea quests. You'll understand, I think.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hivac posted:

Equip the Aegis limit you got from the sea quests. You'll understand, I think.

Was this to deal with the Gatekeeper's two turn charge move? Yeah that probably would've been helpful. However in the end I didn't need it as I was able to just barely beat him by the skin of my teeth on my first attempt. :toot:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Look forward to facing him four more times to get all the drops. If you're lucky.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rangpur posted:

When you enter B12F they're at fixed positions. Then they move to another fixed position, usually at an intersection where you need to go, and squat there for the rest of eternity. They all move in unison too, so there's no way to beat the furthest ones to their spot but I think you can avoid fighting them if you take the long way around. It's a case where you need a map of basically the entire area in order to plan your route carefully if you want to race them.

To be honest though, I usually just beat them down with Etheric Charge and one of the elemental limit breaks.

You can definitely take the fast route to the boss that the FOEs try to block off if you avoid every fight (or win in one turn) and make perfect moves. You even have a margin of a few moves but it's best to run or use a Warding Bell.

Or you can fight them, they're not very hard by the time you make it to that level. EOIII suffers from the FOEs not being very threatening past the first couple of strata.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
The mother dragons are pretty scary :v: Luckily, EO3 is so focused on day/night differences you can avoid them entirely.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

SC Bracer posted:

The mother dragons are pretty scary :v: Luckily, EO3 is so focused on day/night differences you can avoid them entirely.

Not when you have a Ninja with maxed-out Izuna.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SC Bracer posted:

If you have a Hoplite and a TP battery Ninja you can take entire rooms of them at your leisure when you first encounter them, even better if the Ninja Bunshins and the clone uses Izuna every turn.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well Iwaoropenelep was going well until he petrified two of my front liners and my Medic couldn't Salve due to paralysis, so everyone "died" next turn.

Maybe next time...

Edit: And with a combination of Chain Dance and Trickery, my Survivalist dodges all eight hits of Pinion Spear. :allears:

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 12, 2015

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Yeah I didn't use ninjas at all so my one encounter with them was pretty uh bad.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The version of the Golem sea quest with the 3 Zodiac sisters is pretty ridiculous. I beat the other two, but man that line up does not give you a lot to work with, and the girls gleefully and repeatedly hit his reflection attack. I have no clue how I'd do this aside from leveling up enough that I could beat him with only two party members.

Not that I need to beat it or anything.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

The version of the Golem sea quest with the 3 Zodiac sisters is pretty ridiculous. I beat the other two, but man that line up does not give you a lot to work with, and the girls gleefully and repeatedly hit his reflection attack. I have no clue how I'd do this aside from leveling up enough that I could beat him with only two party members.

Not that I need to beat it or anything.

Really, all you can do is support them and wait for them to whittle it down. Best way to go about it is to have a good healer, and pack a bunch of Nectars.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I think you can also disable Reflector by binding his arms. And if you can pull that off they'll tear through his HP real fuckin' quick even with regeneration.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm always unlucky with 5th Stratum drops, no monsters hardly drop anything. I've only got 4/10 Gold Furs and despite killing a load of Dire Wolves, I have yet to obtain any Red Blood, which is of course needed for a quest.

Also Ice Claws are bullshit. It's easier to just beeline for the door instead of hoping they get trapped behind FOEs.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Ice Claws aren't too bad if you can bind their arms and hit them with fire.

Then again, most things aren't too bad with binds, so I guess that's not really that much of a helpful statement. :v:

As a note, I'd recommend using the Boost Duplication Glitch to copy a bunch of Formaldehydes. Doing those collection quests is a pain otherwise.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The European versions fixed that glitch, so unfortunately he's out of luck.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I haven't been following EO news for quite a few months now, what's been the verdict on EOU2 in Japan? Is the story more interesting? Can you change the parties classes (i doubt this but eh) The MC's class seems interesting but I'd rather not be stuck with a boring cast and party composition, which is the main reason I dropped EOU

To answer this: the gameplay itself was considered largely fine by most EO fans, but the game took loads of heat in Japan because of the DLC structure - specifically, a lot of bosses are locked behind DLC, and it's impossible to 100% many of the maps & the monster compendium without buying all the DLC. Needless to say this angered a lot of people.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SpaceDrake posted:

To answer this: the gameplay itself was considered largely fine by most EO fans, but the game took loads of heat in Japan because of the DLC structure - specifically, a lot of bosses are locked behind DLC, and it's impossible to 100% many of the maps & the monster compendium without buying all the DLC. Needless to say this angered a lot of people.

Why on earth did they lock 100% completion behind DLC?

Like, fine, add in the extra stuff, but if you don't buy it then don't add it to the map and bestiary completion percentages.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Supposedly that is the case. The DLC doesn't show up in the compendium unless you buy it. Unfortunately if you buy just, say, the grinding quest that spawns an exp piņata monster then the game adds the whole DLC section to the compendium. Not sure how that interacts with the locked sections of the map. You also need to be like level 85 to unlock them so it may also be a moot point.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 13, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It should've just incrementally increased the compendium.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Aren't you locked out of filling out your guild card icons if you don't have the DLC? Like, any of it? I heard something about that.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

If that's the case, then this guy who made a really detailed post about all the different DLC didn't mention it, so it seems unlikely.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

If that's the case, then this guy who made a really detailed post about all the different DLC didn't mention it, so it seems unlikely.

Most of that DLC sounds pretty halfassed but I'm not sure what I was expecting really.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

A few more details as I'm skimming this guy's Tumblr:

EOU2 takes place one year after EOU, Flavio, in a DLC, mentions the group that saved Etria last year, but doesn't know them personally.

Ur-Child can be taken down in 3 turns without changing class in Expert Story.

DLC boss can be taken down in 9 turns... blind, with a Classic/Flavio party. Now that he knows what it does, he guesses 6/7 turns.

You can get 100% in both monsters and items before buying any DLC and it won't reduce your total if you do, there will just be spaces in your Codex/Compendium

If you have the EOU2 3DS theme, Flavio gets covered up when you select a game. :lol:

Story party information (Spoilers!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
There is some good information on that tumblr also about the DLC in EOU2.
But man why is it that every blog on that site has to rear its ugly Tumblr head if you look for long enough
I had no idea people "shipped" "pairings" of the loving generic character portraits from EO.

• Locked thread