Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Well, found something interesting on that blog. Apparently the Persona Q artbook (contains heavy EO2U spoilers as well) reveals that Zeus is a Yggdroid. More specifically, one of 12 special Yggdroids created to fight the Deep Ones. I dunno if an EO3U is happening, but apparently they've laid down the plans for one. Also, just click on the EO2U tag to filter out that info because there is typical tumblr stuff on there.

Oh, and apparently they changed Overlord's motivations in EO2U. I guess taking adventurers' corpses and turning them into monsters didn't exactly make for an interesting villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It'd make sense for both EOU3 and EO5 to be on the 3DS, then the entire series will be on one platform, so you can play them really easily.

And then perhaps EO6 can be on the next Nintendo handheld, or we might get some HD games for the WiiU, a side game like EMD and PQ.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder if the DLC bosses are good fights.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well, found something interesting on that blog. Apparently the Persona Q artbook (contains heavy EO2U spoilers as well) reveals that Zeus is a Yggdroid. More specifically, one of 12 special Yggdroids created to fight the Deep Ones.

Well, that's interesting.

I wonder if the Persona 3/4 cast will be DLC characters in EO3U.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well, that's interesting.

I wonder if the Persona 3/4 cast will be DLC characters in EO3U.
Well, Sea Quests can be easily used for DLC this time.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Do I miss any story if I don't complete the post game / 100% the quests in Eo4?

Thinking of moving on to EOU1

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

In the postgame, the dragon quests have a bit more interaction with Wiglaf, Kirjonen, and the Prince of the Empire. There's also the bonus dungeon, which has a bit more backstory if you examine a few dead ends.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

tithin posted:

A bit, but not much.

Finally made it to the 7th floor in EO1 without a Protector and a Medic. I had to grind my party up a few levels because the weakest enemies are level 18. Sloths are level 22, so they still wreck my party, but it's an improvement over not making any progress at all.

Is there any alternate dialogue for taking out the Wyvern when you're on that mission to steal the egg in EOU? I know there isn't in EO1 (Because it's actually impossible without a massive amount of grinding since Wyvern's level 40.) but EOU has NG+.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

tithin posted:

For what its worth, EO4's post game is really fun and good and probably the best part of the game.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Is there any alternate dialogue for taking out the Wyvern when you're on that mission to steal the egg in EOU? I know there isn't in EO1 (Because it's actually impossible without a massive amount of grinding since Wyvern's level 40.) but EOU has NG+.

Possibly, but they only care if you obtain the egg and they don't really mention the Wyvern at all. I'll try and remember it when I go through the game one last time to unlock everything for the Guild Card.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There is no alternate dialogue, I believe. Granted, I think I killed it after I picked up the egg.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh sweet, I found where Gullinbursti spawn nearly every encounter for the ten Gold Furs quest. Top right of 23F.

Doesn't stop me from getting nothing but Gold Tusks though. :suicide:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think EO3's B14F is the most elegantly designed floor of all the games I've played so far. Seeing the overarching puzzle come together as you finally make it to the center and trap those obnoxious FOEs all at once was so satisfying.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Or if you're me you took a wrong turn early, murdered the FOE in your path, and ended up in B15F 5 minutes later.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Or if you're me you took a wrong turn early, murdered the FOE in your path, and ended up in B15F 5 minutes later.

Well yes but I think they at least did a fairly decent job of making them challenging enough to discourage that. I never seriously tried fighting them but the few times I ran into them they were doing some pretty severe damage before I could run away.

At any rate a fully drawn map is its own reward

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah the Freed Savages on the previous level were jokes but the Deep One FOEs are challenging.

On New Game+ I just cheesed the level by beating up the first FOE though. I had retired my team as soon as I unlocked Shoguns and even though they were underlevelled for the area they were able to beat it up in just a couple of turns. That's not because the FOE is weak but because Warrior Might is too good.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Dr. Fetus posted:

Are you playing on Story or Classic mode? Use Raquna's Volt Wall every 3-4 turns, including the 1st turn, and have Arthur spam his Ice attacks. If you're playing on Classic though, yeah you'll have to grind. Even if you do all the quests, not having access to Gladsheim puts them behind the curve quite a bit. The game expects your party to be level 55 around that time. It's dumb, and I'm glad EO2U's avoiding that problem.

Oh, I have the strategy down. It's simply that I just don't have the numbers to beat him.

Yeah I'm level 44...

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

Oh, I have the strategy down. It's simply that I just don't have the numbers to beat him.

Yeah I'm level 44...

Actually I was wrong, level 50 is the right mark. Still dumb. All I can say is that if you can take down any rare breed forest folk FOEs, do so. Maybe put the game on Picnic so grinding will be painless.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Dr. Fetus posted:

Actually I was wrong, level 50 is the right mark. Still dumb. All I can say is that if you can take down any rare breed forest folk FOEs, do so. Maybe put the game on Picnic so grinding will be painless.

Yeah, I guess. Or I could do the right thing and just never play EOU again.

I'm eager for them to give us more info about EO5. I hope it's along the same lines as 4.

I really hope they bring back the super sweet EO4 Landsknecht is what I'm saying. Those guys had it all!

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I think EO3's B14F is the most elegantly designed floor of all the games I've played so far. Seeing the overarching puzzle come together as you finally make it to the center and trap those obnoxious FOEs all at once was so satisfying.

If I remember which one it is right, yeah it was a really great floor! Thought the same thing after going through it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Here's some interesting things to note about the game balance in the Untold games.

In both of the Untold games, accumulative status resistances on enemies reset after 10 turns after the ailments and bind was inflicted. I guess that's to make up for the lack of Releasal spell, so in somewhat long figts, like against bosses or FOEs, you can inflict ailments and binds again. Or depending on how long the ailments and binds last, it's impossible to make them immune to it. I don't believe this applies to your party.

Buffs and debuffs got nerfed big time in Untold 2. The same type of buff and debuff scales down when stacked. The 2nd buff/debuff is 60% of the original effect, the 3rd has 20% of the original effect. Any more buffs and debuffs that have the same effect will not do anything. It should be noted that ally attack up and enemy defense down count as the same type of buff/debuff so stacking up a bunch of attack up buffs and defense down debuff won't have as much of an effect. One turn buffs/debuffs are not affected by buff scaling.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

But buffs and debuffs are my bread and butter!

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Honestly if there is a power shift to actual attacks instead of just a flat nerf then I'm perfectly fine with that. I like big numbers and all but setting up for like 3-4 turns in EO3 is pretty painstaking.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Regy Rusty posted:

Well yes but I think they at least did a fairly decent job of making them challenging enough to discourage that. I never seriously tried fighting them but the few times I ran into them they were doing some pretty severe damage before I could run away.

At any rate a fully drawn map is its own reward

If it's the floor I'm thinking of I killed the FOE in 2 turns because Warrior's Might + Yagrush = murder

I also beat the ant queen (barely) when I first got the mission and went in properly supplied. Going back and killing it later to get the rare drop was annoying though.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But buffs and debuffs are my bread and butter!

I ran an I/B-focused team in EO4 so yeah I want my buffs and debuffs to stack perfectly into comical damage multipliers!

Speaking of that and FOE murder, That's the story of the 5th stratum as my I/B team finally had its I/B. Dr. Sword plowed through motherfuckers. :allears:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I get the feeling that the buff and debuff nerfs were more for a possible EO3U then for EO2U. Buff stacking wasn't really a thing people did in EO2, but was a very popular strategy for EO3. I guess with the addition of the Princess class, EO2U was a good time to try out that nerf.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yikes Kirin was the first boss since Narmer to really kick my rear end.

E: Lol never mind turns out he's a joke if you know what he's gonna do. I tweaked my strategy a tiny bit and he went down second try no problem.

Bunshin Hoplites own

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 15, 2015

Chippzz
Mar 22, 2008
I got my copy of Etrian Mysterious Dungeon on Friday and I'm sad to say that it's not a good game. Mostly because of the dumbass AI party that will pretty much never do what you'd what them to do.

For example if one of your party members eats a bee sting that applies poison, slow, and damage your medic will ask if you want it to cast refresh or not. Choosing yes make it cast refresh, if you choose no it will decide to do nothing for its turn. When my dude is at a brink of death I'd want my medic to cast cure but that's not an option so my guy usually dies next turn.

Runemaster and Hexers will use their skills at every opportunity they get draining their TP rapidly. You can make them not cast but micromanaging auto cast is a pain to deal with.

Characters that have abilities that affect the entire room never casts it either.

Ranged characters are blind in hallways so they won't use their skills even though the guy in the very front is being beaten on. Melee character (or casters with no TP) will blindly charge into a room full of enemies to get themselves slaughtered.

Seems that success in this game is dependent on being able to predict party AI behavior and working around it so they won't get slaughter instantly.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Note to self, don't use Absolute Zero on a blue Pasaran it is a very bad idea.

Now that I think of it that probably applies to all multi-hit magic attacks.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Note to self, don't use Absolute Zero on a blue Pasaran it is a very bad idea.

Now that I think of it that probably applies to all multi-hit magic attacks.

When you're strong enough though... Well Blue Pasarans don't give out that much exp. Same with Gold Pasarans, though their drops sell for a ton of money. Red Pasaran on the other hand give out 60,000 exp per kill.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Chippzz posted:

I got my copy of Etrian Mysterious Dungeon on Friday and I'm sad to say that it's not a good game. Mostly because of the dumbass AI party that will pretty much never do what you'd what them to do.

For example if one of your party members eats a bee sting that applies poison, slow, and damage your medic will ask if you want it to cast refresh or not. Choosing yes make it cast refresh, if you choose no it will decide to do nothing for its turn. When my dude is at a brink of death I'd want my medic to cast cure but that's not an option so my guy usually dies next turn.

Runemaster and Hexers will use their skills at every opportunity they get draining their TP rapidly. You can make them not cast but micromanaging auto cast is a pain to deal with.

Characters that have abilities that affect the entire room never casts it either.

Ranged characters are blind in hallways so they won't use their skills even though the guy in the very front is being beaten on. Melee character (or casters with no TP) will blindly charge into a room full of enemies to get themselves slaughtered.

Seems that success in this game is dependent on being able to predict party AI behavior and working around it so they won't get slaughter instantly.

It really seems to me like an AI-controlled party, 4-character party and very boring looking random map design are all really bad things to put in an Etrian game?

There is really no way to control more than one character?

If it's really a turn based game with AI party members that is as bad as Persona 3 all over again.
But being a pure RPG there's nothing like the story and social links and all that to balance it out even.

Surprised it seems to be selling really well though

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

The more I hear about EMD the more excited I get to be honest. It seems less like Persona Q was Persona + EO, and more like a Mystery Dungeon game with an EO skin if that makes sense.

Those are very much normal things for the Mystery Dungeon games. The Pokemon ones had even dumber AI, that you could level up so your AI partners got smarter throughout the game. Since you got booted out of the dungeon if you or your story-mode partner fainted you had to drag the idiot around behind you and keep him alive. It's an interesting mechanic though for the MD games if you think about it. Roguelikes are all about planning your moves and proper preparations, and adding an element of dumb partners like that is another resource you have to manage.

It'll be fun to me messing around with party combinations and sizes. I'm probably gonna try a solo-wanderer at some point too.

Chippzz
Mar 22, 2008

asvodel posted:

There is really no way to control more than one character?

The burst(?) meter that was in EO4 is there and there is a 2 point move where it allow you to control all your party members for 8 or so turns. At which point it turns into Etrian Odyssey Tactics. When you fight D.O.Es you can lure them into a fortress where 4 other members from your guild can camp out, making the fight a 1v8. Which is when you stop caring what each character is doing and just hope for the best with the AI.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Some of that sounds pretty standard for a MD game. Though in the PMD games, you can adjust your party's AI.

Rangpur posted:

If you want to try the series, and you only have a DS, but EOIII.

You might want to fix that. :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The raging boar sprite is hilarious. :byodood:

I've nearly gotten 100% on the sea exploration, just missing two random fish I don't know where they are and two epics. It's a very fun side thing, I hope if they remake EO3 they actually tie it in to the story.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

The raging boar sprite is hilarious. :byodood:

I've nearly gotten 100% on the sea exploration, just missing two random fish I don't know where they are and two epics. It's a very fun side thing, I hope if they remake EO3 they actually tie it in to the story.

One of them is probably the Overlord Squid. You have to fish on a rare spot to find it. I believe you have to look at the reef spots on the south sea on sqaure E3-4 and F3-4. Unfortunately, you have like a 2% chance of finding one. If you have found it, what fish are the missing ones between?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

One of them is probably the Overlord Squid. You have to fish on a rare spot to find it. I believe you have to look at the reef spots on the south sea on sqaure E3-4 and F3-4. Unfortunately, you have like a 2% chance of finding one. If you have found it, what fish are the missing ones between?

I found the Squid actually, because I went out to look for it when the guy at the hotel mentioned it. I found a list of the fish, but no locations - I'm missing "South Urchin" and "King Tuna"

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

How far can you get in EMD with a single character? I beat Persona 3, so dumb AI teammates are not exactly a new thing for me but I'm not eager to repeat the experience.

Dr. Fetus posted:

You might want to fix that. :v:
Thanks for the catch. Lemme know if you spot anything else.

Chippzz
Mar 22, 2008

Rangpur posted:

How far can you get in EMD with a single character? I beat Persona 3, so dumb AI teammates are not exactly a new thing for me but I'm not eager to repeat the experience.

I'm guessing you can beat the entire game with one character as long as you stock up on the right items and keep the boss under a status alignment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Man gently caress Hellflies.

It's nice that I've bee able to get through the game with R/D/S M/A, but it's pretty squishy and the whole stratum is kicking my rear end. 29F is gonna be a slog and if I encounter a Huge Ant, I'm screwed.

I could bring a Protector, but man, I'm stubborn.

Edit: Ah cool, shiny Huge Ant, oh I'm dead.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 15, 2015

• Locked thread