Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

The squirrels' conditionals unlock an ultimate armor.

That chest with the thunderbolt of doom has a quest item

And that's about it.

If you solve the tengu puzzle you get some treasure, forgot what it was though.

I killed the tengu, got the chest. It was a medica IV

Edit: What works with a harbringer? I'm thinking maybe Masurao, dragoon, healy shaman or botanist, warlock.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Aerofallosov posted:

I killed the tengu, got the chest. It was a medica IV

Edit: What works with a harbringer? I'm thinking maybe Masurao, dragoon, healy shaman or botanist, warlock.

Deathguard: whatever team can cast debuffs so you can use your scythe of transience more.

Deathbringer: you ideally want your harbinger to inflict ailments, for black blade bonus. However some enemies are resistant to paralysis, panic and poison, so a member who can cast other ailments is useful.

A buffer for your harbinger, and a debuffer like Masurao armor pierce work.

The pugalist works nicely because the ailment dubuff skill harbinger has helps them. And you get overexertion.

Also, I'm in the final stratum, and I can't decide between panic resistance or sleep resistance. Should I just super pump my luck?

And of course then I ran into both the panic demon and the sleep wave and game over.

Ugh. Whatever.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 3, 2017

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Beat the Undead King after about 15 turns of locking him down and wailing on him. Almost died to Coffin Demons twice after trying to see if I could get to the stairs to the fourth stratum. Clearly Coffin Demons > Undead King.

(But for real though I was worried my levels 33~35 wasn't going to be enough, turns out getting 5 or so turns of confusion, arm binds, and paralysis locks him down an absolute shitton!)

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Aerofallosov posted:

Both harbingers are more things you put in to support other members rather than be the star of the show themselves. You'd struggle to find a team they didn't fit in.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
Star Devourer is kicking my assss. My Fencer, Pugilist, Rover, Shaman, Warlock squad needs some serious rejiggering. Any ideas? I’d prefer to keep them the se class.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Grand Gigas posted:

Star Devourer is kicking my assss. My Fencer, Pugilist, Rover, Shaman, Warlock squad needs some serious rejiggering. Any ideas? I’d prefer to keep them the se class.

What are you struggling with the most?

If you're lacking damage, you could try a Chain Killer party and enjoy watching some extremely large numbers happen. Suggestions:
  • Chain Fencer - 10 points in Chain Killer, Chain Boost, Chain Double, and Chain Plus, and make sure you have at least one point in Chain All.
  • Barrage Pugilist - 10 points in each binding punch and Double Punch, 10 points in Overexertion, and a bunch of points in Status ATK Up.
  • Rover - Either version will work here, because they both have binds.
  • Shaman - Either version will work once again, because during the important Chain Killer burst turn they're just going to chuck an ailment or bind item.
  • Omnimancer Warlock - 10 points in Windstorm and as many points as you're comfortable with in Spread Chant.
On the first turn, you set up Chain All and Overexertion on your Fencer, and do what you can to survive the opening attack (sleep works). On the second turn, go all-out on binds and ailments, ideally multitarget, and use Black Mist to make it more likely they'll stick. Enjoy watching massive damage happen. After that, use elemental chains to finish the boss off.

If you want to see what I mean, you can watch the video that inspired me to try Chain Killer in the first place.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 3, 2017

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Grand Gigas posted:

I got the rear end in a top hat with almost the same party in two tries, the only difference a debuffing reaper instead of the fencer.

Later edit: I have a save just before this jerk. Let me reclass my Harbinger into a Chain Fencer and I'll give a trip report.

The name of the game is constant AoE and both buff and debuff control. If the boss gets any party attack in while his attack is buffed and you defense is debuffed it's a wipe, full stop.

Hawk Rover, max Ice peck, spam it 24/7. By the way, even if the boss puts Parry up that turn, the hawk's ice followup will still go through.
Max brushing and Animal Therapy for free constant heals. I went in with Sky Dive and Million Arrows maxed and never fond the time to use those.
Finishing shot is probably a decent idea, you'll have spare points even after all the passives.
Hound rover's only AoE is row only and thus inferior in this fight, even before accounting for the leg bind requirement.

I think Elemancer is better than Omnimancer here, better AoE (270% with better INT vs 180%). If you go with Omni alternate between Earthspike and Windstorm. Never switch to an elemental attack, you get nullified by both Parry and Elemental Decoy in my experience; this makes Amplifier useless on an Omnimancer as it only buffs fire/ice/thunder.
If you go Elemancer, just max any one of the elemental attacks (Ice if you're using a Chain Duelist) and spam that one 24/7.
Use Focus/Multistrike chant only if no adds are up or on Aegis Shield turns. Yes, even if the boss is at 5% HP, it's how I lost my first attempt with my final party.
Amplifier is less important with a Shaman in your party, but you have the points so you might as well max it and use it if you fear an Elemental Decoy that turn.

Shaman: Divine herald and max all the passive healing skills. Keep Aegis and Ruinous Prayer up at all times. For your third buff slot, you can choose between Exorcism to reduce the chance of getting screwed by ailments or Vitality for better passive healing (Appease Spirits, Benevolence and Animal Care all run on % of max HP).
If you have an Elemancer, consider using the third buff slot for Blaze/Hail/Bolt Prayer (whatever element the Ele is spamming) and a maxed Dance Oracle to combo with common magic.
One point in Focus Prayer just to deal with the accuracy debuff and you can always use Split Spirits on turns where nothing is going on; even at level 2 it's massive amounts of healing for your damage dealers.

Pugilist: I went with Barrage but I feel Impact would be better here (if maybe riskier).
Anyway, Barrage Pugilists must remember their ABC: Always Be Punching.
Spam One-two Blow, use Breather if you get tagged by anything, Lash Out after a 4-hit combo (but not after Breather), Overexertion is a beautiful thing; aim everything towards the main target unless there's an emergency.
Barrage pugilists are not complicated to be honest.
You might as well max Blood Wrath while you're at it (I didn't). Parry is somewhat annoying to be honest, if you fear a parry it might be a good time to use an item or something. I wouldn't bother being cute with clinch.
You get one paralysis every 10 turns so Corkscrew might be useful, but :effort: too much thinking. You'll never have the opportunity for a decent Leading Blow, so don't even bother putting points in it.
I never touched Impact Pugilists so hopefully someone else can contribute there.

I have no idea how a fencer slots in, but I think Chain All into Chain Ice results in dealing all the damage.
Keep in mind I'm fairly sure both Parry and Elemental Decoy will null your chains, based on what happened to my Omnimancer and Reserve Magic.
I feel Phantom Duelist is more or less useless here, but I may be horribly mistaken. Experiment if you'd rather have that than a Chain Duelist.

I have no idea though how badly it would go if you let the boss keep the attack or defense buffs up, bring a fat stack of Laudanums (the remove enemy buffs item) with you. I used a deathguard reaper to keep those under control instead of a fencer. Keep in mind that even while casting debuffs 24/7 I only managed 2 (two, due, zwei, deux, dos, twee, два, 二, you get what I'm saying) Ephemeral Reaps in my successful attempt, that's how bad those buffs can get.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 3, 2017

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I started this yesterday and made 1 of each char.
I'm running fencer dragoon cestus and Rover/warlock in the back.

How hosed am I? Also how do I level my bench warmers

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

FrickenMoron posted:

I started this yesterday and made 1 of each char.
I'm running fencer dragoon cestus and Rover/warlock in the back.

How hosed am I? Also how do I level my bench warmers

there's an accessory in the 3rd(?) floor that you slap onto your teammates to give 10% to all guild members. If you have a full team, you get 20% per char so it's not that bad at all.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Grand Gigas posted:

Omobono posted:

Let me reclass my Harbinger into a Chain Fencer and I'll give a trip report.

Before the trip report: holy crap use the Chain Killer strategy that Harrow linked

Trip report: it works, but it can be feast or famine. If your fencer manages to make a Chain All chain go through, every add explodes that turn and the boss eats 8k to 12k damage just from chain burst. If your fencer walks into Elemental Decoy (or Parry I assume, but it never happened to me so I can't confirm) you suck lemons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Chain Killer is a high risk/high reward sort of strategy (though not as high of risk or reward as something like Death's Edge nuking, which basically comes down to "one-shot the boss or die"). You either utterly steamroll whatever you're fighting, or you whiff your ailments and get your face stomped in. You really need to stack up as many infliction chance bonuses as you can, and it helps to be aware of your team's turn order and ensure they're going to use ailments with higher priority later in the turn. Ideally for Chain Killer you'll have Wilting Miasma and Black Mist going on your big burst turn, if not other debuffs like Alluring Body (which the player in that video I linked uses).

Luckily random battles aren't quite so dicey. It's usually easy enough to figure out which enemy you can most reliably inflict a specific bind or ailment on, then just Chain Killer that target and let Chain Burst and a Warlock's multi-target spells clean up the stragglers.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
how's EO5 compare to EO4? I kinda got bored through EOU1 and 2 (and the originals are so long ago for me i dont know how i even feel about them anymore) but EO4 hooked me in real good so i was thoroughly entertained all the way through. Just wanna know before i buy it since money is tightish at the moment

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

EO4 was my first EO and I think I like 5 better overall, though it's worth noting it is completely focused on dungeon-crawling this time. There's no world map, no ship or airship, not even any side dungeons. It's all labyrinth, all the time.

That said, they're really good labyrinths this time with some clever twists on things like teleporter puzzles and slippery ice puzzles, and the class selection is interesting and varied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

:siren: FRIENDSHIP ENDED WITH OLD ETRIAN ODYSSEY THREAD
NOW
ANOTHER ETRIAN ODYSSEY THREAD IS MY NEW BEST FRIEND
:siren:

• Locked thread