Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Guys, I have a suspicion that EOU2 might actually be awesome.

Me too. I can't wait to find out what all this squirrel nonsense is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hivac posted:

The horrible truth of EO3 is that the best armor in the game is worse than accessories.

Should I be putting accessories on everyone, what's the good accessories?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alright so I guess I'll worry about that stuff later. Tonight I'm gonna try to plow through the rest of the 3rd stratum.

I'm wasting my time painting in all the lava on B11F aren't I? But I just... can't resist...

E: God drat the Jolly Roger rapier does so much damage.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 11, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tyty posted:

You're making me want to grind for the Jolly Roger rapier now. I'm in the 4th stratum but haven't picked up much new gear yet despite hitting all the gather points.

The ghost ship shouldn't be -too- hard if I'm past the guardian, right?

Ghost ship was doable on two of the 3 line ups before I even set foot in the 3rd stratum. I got the Jolly Roger when I went back to beat the third one since that was too hard for me earlier (it was the Princess Farmer team because they were utterly useless). By this point (around level 32) he was really easy.

That said, while Jolly Roger is amazing now in the 3rd stratum, I'm not sure it would be worth it for you to grind for it now that you're a full area further along.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hivac posted:

The Jolly Roger outclasses like half of the normal drop Rapiers in the 5th Stratum I think

In that case yeah go grind for it if you want. He should be incredibly easy by now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ahh it wouldn't be an Etrian Odyssey game without me finding an optional boss that utterly steamrolls me. Golem, Chameleon King, and now Wicked Queen.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So is Pincushion best taken just to level 4 to get the chance to hit 3 times? It looks like it gets really expensive TP wise without getting too much stronger beyond that point.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Are you required to fight one of the Poison Dragon FOEs on EO3's B12F to progress or did I fail to solve the puzzle? They're not hard or anything but I feel like I probably missed something.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I tried to figure out how to sneak past the second one that got in my way but I guess I managed to waste one single turn too many. So I just killed him too. Oh well.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hivac posted:

Equip the Aegis limit you got from the sea quests. You'll understand, I think.

Was this to deal with the Gatekeeper's two turn charge move? Yeah that probably would've been helpful. However in the end I didn't need it as I was able to just barely beat him by the skin of my teeth on my first attempt. :toot:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The version of the Golem sea quest with the 3 Zodiac sisters is pretty ridiculous. I beat the other two, but man that line up does not give you a lot to work with, and the girls gleefully and repeatedly hit his reflection attack. I have no clue how I'd do this aside from leveling up enough that I could beat him with only two party members.

Not that I need to beat it or anything.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

tithin posted:

Do I miss any story if I don't complete the post game / 100% the quests in Eo4?

Thinking of moving on to EOU1

For what its worth, EO4's post game is really fun and good and probably the best part of the game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think EO3's B14F is the most elegantly designed floor of all the games I've played so far. Seeing the overarching puzzle come together as you finally make it to the center and trap those obnoxious FOEs all at once was so satisfying.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Or if you're me you took a wrong turn early, murdered the FOE in your path, and ended up in B15F 5 minutes later.

Well yes but I think they at least did a fairly decent job of making them challenging enough to discourage that. I never seriously tried fighting them but the few times I ran into them they were doing some pretty severe damage before I could run away.

At any rate a fully drawn map is its own reward

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yikes Kirin was the first boss since Narmer to really kick my rear end.

E: Lol never mind turns out he's a joke if you know what he's gonna do. I tweaked my strategy a tiny bit and he went down second try no problem.

Bunshin Hoplites own

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 15, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Note to self, don't use Absolute Zero on a blue Pasaran it is a very bad idea.

Now that I think of it that probably applies to all multi-hit magic attacks.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The raging boar sprite is hilarious. :byodood:

I've nearly gotten 100% on the sea exploration, just missing two random fish I don't know where they are and two epics. It's a very fun side thing, I hope if they remake EO3 they actually tie it in to the story.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

One of them is probably the Overlord Squid. You have to fish on a rare spot to find it. I believe you have to look at the reef spots on the south sea on sqaure E3-4 and F3-4. Unfortunately, you have like a 2% chance of finding one. If you have found it, what fish are the missing ones between?

I found the Squid actually, because I went out to look for it when the guy at the hotel mentioned it. I found a list of the fish, but no locations - I'm missing "South Urchin" and "King Tuna"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Is there a reason why the wilted shroom is an item compendium item with a price listed and everything? Can you get another one to sell somehow or what?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That's both kinda weird and kinda cool. Thanks for the explanation!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh, and if you're planning on getting all the endings, the best time to do that is before you go into the postgame. If you power through NG+, (There's not gonna be any options to keep anything. Everything such as open chests, the sea, and quest completion is automatically saved.) it'll take you like an hour or two to finish the main game on a NG+ run. But before going for the rest of them, load up your save file again and remember to report your mission so you can get your rewards. This applies to the Deep City ending too. If you're not planning on doing any of that, then never mind!

Also for the final boss fight, make sure to kill Olympia first. If you don't, you miss out on the exp, but more importantly, her drop.

Ok hold on, walk me through this process. When I beat the final boss, you're saying I should immediately do NG+, speed through the story for the Deep City ending, do NG+ again, get the True Ending and then do the post game?

I've actually been meaning to ask about this, so help me determine exactly what I'm getting into. What carries over into NG+? I've never done it for either of the other two games. Am I really able to breeze through the game that quickly? If so that would be great because I'd like to see the other endings. But my worry is that, as tends to happen with games that have multiple endings, I'd get burnt out before even completing a second playthrough. That happened with Shin Megami Tensei IV for instance. If you're not exaggerating about each story run only taking a few hours then I'd be all for it. Otherwise I'd think I'd want to check out the postgame first to get as much out of my first playthrough as possible.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 17, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

gannyGrabber posted:

The correct answer is to just play EO4 3 times instead of mucking through EO3

I 100%ed EO4. It holds nothing more for me! I'd get bored before finishing the first stratum if I tried playing it again.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Also, the chests in Eo3 don't reset, which ordinarily wouldn't be much of a big deal except there are 8 Coupons scattered in chests around the Labyrinth that allow you to buy any item from the store at half price. Once those are used, they're gone forever.

I used two of these by accident because I'm a moron who speeds through the shop screen. :downs:

Alright thanks guys, I'll definitely go for all the endings. One last thing, I assume I should make sure to get all the drops for the bosses that are route dependent? Anything else I should grab before the reset?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Everyman posted:

I did notice there aren't any dedicated gatherers this time around. Is it safe to assume the one point investment in the gathering skills are worth it? What about the cooking skills? Food is a new mechanic to me but, then again, its just one point.

Yeah put the 1 point in the gathering skills. They made it so that everyone can always gather, it's just the individual spots that are limited. The gathering skills are such a small investment and let you find more stuff so it's totally worth it.

Cooking skills I never bothered with. One that might be somewhat worth it is the medic's skill that lets you cook poison food, because apparently some of those give really good boosts.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like when floors are extremely aptly named such as "Maddening abundance of gates".

I don't have good map tools for this EO3 please have mercy!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rangpur posted:

EO1/Untold's postgame was the best for that. All That Lives Shall Succumb. To frustration when they walk into an invisible pitfall for like the millionth loving time.

Oh yes I remember... at least Untold you could see the pits though. And then in the teleport mazes in Untold and 4 I had sufficient symbols to make easily unambiguous teleporter connections.

My previous favorite floor name was Untold's B19F "An excursion into despair"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So what skills do people go for as a Monk/Prince in the late game? I've got my protect order shenanigans healing absurd amounts constantly so I'm wondering where else to stick my skill points. I've got one point in Prevent Order, is it worthwhile to max that just for the lowered TP? Should I go for Attack Order next? The Prince's passive heals don't seem very useful, aside from Monarch March, and really that would've been better for the early game. Not much point in going for it now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh god Alraune is in this game oh no

I'm having EOU PTSD flashbacks.

E: She's a bit strong

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hivac posted:

3rd hardest boss in the game in my opinion.

Only the Blizzard King and Yggrasil Core were harder for me in EOU so I'm not surprised.

I'll... save her for the post post post game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

The... Blizzard King? I suppose the battle's pretty long, but I found the Wyrm harder since it lowers your attack and has the most health. Storm Emperor would've been slightly annoying with status and binds and whatnot if my Ronin didn't do 2500 damage per Flame Grater. :black101:

The Great Dragon was pathetically easy in EOU which really surprised me since he had more health and was the third one in the quest order. I posted about this at the time and people in the old thread said that Blizzard King is always the hardest one. :shrug:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SC Bracer posted:

Anyone know how to get to the fourth foothold in EO3? I just made it to the 5th stratum, and I've got every sailing item till that point.

It's pretty tricky. You can do it now that you've got the Latin Sail. Bring your best food (you should have 24 movement food by this point), the sail, and both the seaweed and reef maneuvering stuff.

Start at the third foothold and go south then west through the only gap that has reefs. If you've made it to the Tower of Victory, the fourth foothold's a bit southwest of that. There's exactly one line of water north of the Tower that's in between a whirlpool to the north and some currents to the south. You'll need to fiddle around in the area east of the Tower to get the ship level with that one line of water so you can make it west.

I don't know how helpful that description is, but I bet if you look around online you can find exact step by step instructions. This is just how I did it, took a bit of trial and error until I got it right.

Hivac posted:

You start from Armoroad and go left then up the left side of the map with the last sail. I think there's a point where you have to go down and up once to stagger the pirate ship so you can get through properly.

Edit: this could be the way to get to not-asia with the Leviathan boss. I don't remember very clearly.

That gets you to Ugarit. I didn't think you could get there until you got the cannon from the northern continent? E: Actually looking at the map I think you might be right. There are currents in the north ocean that could take you to the foothold. That way might be easier than my route.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 18, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well that was a depressing ending.

I'm sorry for calling both sides assholes. :smith:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I guess why people are saying to focus on the volt link is that Galvanic Rune is the best spell, and with Volt Rune you can make many enemies weak to it and do lots of damage. That said I found the landsknecht to be least starved for points of all my team (heck I kept maxed power and mind break even though they're supposedly not useful and still had points to spare) so there's no reason not to max all the link skills to do the most damage regardless of the current weakness situation.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The sixth stratum is called the Cyclopean Haunt!?

... come on I gotta at least explore this a liiiiittle bit before resetting...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

Don't power through it too fast or you'll be sad when your exploring ends and you have to wait for EOU2. :v:

Well I've still got two more endings to go as well so I think I can make this last at least another week.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

Come for the stratum theme, leave for the same battle theme since the lava caves.

This is especially disappointing after EO4's 6th stratum battle theme.

They really couldn't put one more song in?

Rangpur posted:

I know the feeling. One look at the title card (and that music) was enough for me to go all the way to B25F. Don't do that though. I suggest exploring until a FOE blindsides you and wipes the party. Usually doesn't take long.

Yeah this is exactly what I'm planning. Then I'll mess around with the other postgame quests I have unlocked just to see how hard they are, maybe work on cleaning up a few conditional drops from regular enemies I missed and then next time I play I'll do the first NG+.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 19, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I wish I could tell my little people to walk over to the swordfish and cut off its fin instead of skinning them every time.

Use every part of the animal drat it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

After EO4's skill trees I'm having trouble getting into 3. To get my Buc Pincushion I have to max Rapier and Gun mastery, and every point in anything else means I get to the meat slower even if it does give him abilities beyond his basic attack command. Is it just that knowing that's my eventual goal is distracting me from the utility before it? Or is it that my guys are level 3 and I just got off of a smoothly-running I/B machine in EO4 and know about N/Z Dark Ether shenanigans as a strategy?

The buccaneer is really amazing. Pincushion is so good a skill that it's worth the enormous investment.

Try going for max Hanging first though. It'll get you a strong and useful attack skill before the long trudge to Pincushion.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And believe me when you've got eagle eye, charge tactic, attack order, and charge all stacked and throw down a successful 3 hit pincushion

It's just so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Is King Penguin just a joke boss or....??

• Locked thread