Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Should probably be somewhere in the OP. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Crosspeice posted:

I'm currently doing the coolest Untold quest to get five Gold Antlers. I've gotten three in half an hour. Woo.

I kinda liked the Highlander when you could act goofy and get everyone flustered. Thankfully you can do the same for U2, if I remember right from that stream way way back.

The best quest in Untold is the "Spend 5 days on the 8th floor" one. Just set an auto walk path in the Wyvern's room and press GO. :v:

Be sure to make the path cross the center spot where the Wyvern shoots lightning cause watching your party ram it's face into it a few times every couple of laps out of the corner of your eye never really gets old. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Clearly EO3U will make robots much better.

I hope.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rangpur posted:

Climbing a giant tree straight into outer space would be a sensible escalation at this point.

Not sure what the rest of it represents, unless they plan to continue with EOIV's take on exploration. First you have to journey to Yggdrasil, then you have to climb Yggdrasil. Yeah, that's right--you all complained about the 5th Labyrinth in EOIV being too short? Well now it's an entire goddamned game all by itself!

That would be Ok by me. 4 mini-stratums followed by a full on Yggdrasil Labyrinth sounds awesome. Add on some mini side-dungeons and I'd be sold day 1.

And if it has sub-classing again instead of Grimoires it'll be perfect.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Everyman posted:

Finally got my hands on a 3ds recently and just picked up EO IV. I've played the first three to hell and back, but I have this nasty habit of trying to roll with a party composition meant for post-game from the get go and making the early game needlessly difficult by building for skills that won't really shine for a long time. What are some good parties for tackling the first couple of strata? I was thinking of going with Fortress/Landsknecht in the front row and Medic/Runemaster/Sniper for the back to mirror my first party for the original way back in the day.

Is it viable to run without a Fortress or Medic in the early game? I usually prefer more aggressive parties and debuffing to boosting defense and healing. I know I'll definitely be able to pull that off later, but I was curious to know if its more trouble than its worth when starting out. Are the QR codes in the op worth nabbing for the extra items? I'm pretty much going into this blind apart from looking at the classes (including the unlockable ones) so any tips or advice about new features is appreciated.

EO4 is the most fair game across the board. Basically any party is fine start to finish.

I beat the game recently with a party of 2 Nightseekers 2 Snipers and an Arcanist. theshim beat the game with 5 Runemasters. Someoen in the last thread i believe beat the game with 5 Nightseekers and then went through again and maybe beat it with a solo Fortress (I know they at least tried).

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Everyman posted:

Good to know. Any other bugged skills out there I should be aware of?

Fan Dance and Speed Boost on your Dancer won't work together but that won't be relevant until you're level 40+.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Regy Rusty posted:

The sixth stratum is called the Cyclopean Haunt!?

... come on I gotta at least explore this a liiiiittle bit before resetting...

Don't power through it too fast or you'll be sad when your exploring ends and you have to wait for EOU2. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Ayana posted:

So I just killed the Berserker King in EO4, and I'm realizing that outside of boss/FOE fights my medic is just kind of there. I'm running a link knight/dancer/night guy, medic/runemaster party, and the medic is definitely the weak link. But what do I do with that? The front line isn't particularly defensive, but they tear poo poo up with buffs, and the dancer can keep most of the healing going anyways.

Medics can frontline fairly well. Give him/her the Mace attack skill and have 'em go to town.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Scrap Dragon posted:

Just unlocked subclassing in my new EO4 run, what's the best subclass for a damage focused Sniper? And what's the best placeholder subclass for a Runemaster till I unlock Bushi?

For a damage focused Sniper I'd say Bushi for Blood Surge and Charge.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I feel like your going to want the whole party to have 5 points in Bullseye just to poo poo out damage on things.

Also I feel like you might actually be making use of Divine Shot on this run.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Y'know Dr. Fetus if you think the grinding for equipment is bad now just wait until you try to do the post-game stuff and have to beat Iwaoropenelep 35 times (7 (1 to buy + 6 Forge slots) per Tristian's Bow * 5) to kit your team out with good weapons.

:suicide:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The only upside to this is that Iwaoropenelep is loving wrecked by snipers, so 5 of them would at least reduce the fight itself to a footnote.

Oh yeah. You either get the binds on him and ruin him or you don't and you all die quickly but still, 35 times is tedious as all hell. I did it enough to max 1 bow with ATK forges and buy another and it was awful. I decided against going back to max the other bow. Maybe some day.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Saigyouji posted:

So in my bid to reach ever new heights of JRPG induced self-loathing, I've been doing a Ronin/Hexer run of EOU. It's been going (really) slowly, but I finally got around to beating the first Stratum. The main problem with this party comp is that it, well, dies in a stiff breeze. Two attacks from Fenrir was enough to kill either of them. Or two attacks from pretty much anything, come to think of it.

Marisa should be an Alchemist. :colbert:

Alice is completely appropriate as a Hexer though.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Saigyouji posted:

Alice and Youmu didn't have the same ring to it. And Marisa owns a sword, so it all works out!

:airquote: owns :airquote:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

theshim posted:

Welp, I got to Wufan. Still not sure what the hell I'm going to do once poison stops being useful.

Would Rank 3 Venom Trow do more damage than maxed out Poison Circle?

I have no idea what you'd do till level 40+ even if it were true.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dr. Fetus posted:

The main reason Ricochet isn't that good is because it has an accuracy penalty. It's basically a worse version of Squall Volley, and unless you have a Dark Hunter or Hexer, there's no good way to inflict binds.

Okay now with both Dendrology and Bracing Walk, Golden Lair's main gimmick is completely trivialized. And I can save my money and supplies for in battle healing. Except now I need to farm up a bunch of Medica IIs. :shepicide: How long does the maze stay frozen for?

3 days I think.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Strange Quark posted:

I don't remember any other one getting an art book with all first printings at least. V:shobon:V

Persona 4 did at least. It also came with half the soundtrack.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dr. Fetus posted:

I have no idea what I'm going to do once I reach Cradle Guardian, since Logre's gonna have to carry my team through that with the way that fight's set up. Or I'll have to kill the thing in 4 turns somehow.

So apparently the thing about Ailment Boost is that it's not a increase in percentage. What it actually does is try to inflict the same ailment the number of times you leveled up Ailment Boost. So if an Arcanist had level 10 Ailment Boost and casts Hood Circle, the game makes it silently cast that 10 times. So low level skills and classes with low LUC and TEC won't get much out of it, while the other end of the spectrum gets a huge benefit from it. Thankfully Snipers have decent LUC, but their TEC is less than optimal, so I have no idea how well that factors into things. Unless EO4 uses the same ailment infliction formula as EO3. But considering how many things EO4 took from EO3, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Give one of your S/As Atrophic Eye then have 2 S/Bs go Lock On > Blood Surge (Atrophic Eye this turn or the next) > Charge > Squall Volley.

Should tear through a chunk of him.

I'm pretty sure the ailment infliction formula weighs much heavier on LUC than TEC.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BattleMaster posted:

I'm glad the EO2U and beyond are going to have treasure box icons that indicate the state of the chest just for this very reason.

But then you'll open the box, place the opened chest icon, die and save your map because why wouldn't you and be in the exact same place.

Unless the icon is somehow context sensitive.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
That's great then. Such beautiful cartographic advances :swoon:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Feel free to ask questions in here. Most of us know EO4 inside out (or at least pretty drat well).

You shouldn't get too stuck though. EO4 is tough but fair. At least you can't paint yourself into a corner with class/skill choices in it. Even EOU is good about that in comparison to the DS trilogy (or at least the first 2).

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If they're spawned in any of the lands they stay there until they despawn automatically after 3 days or you complete whatever mission they have (bring them food or help them fight something).

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

theshim posted:

Boiling Lizard down, party level 34 :stare:

Things seem to be going surprisingly well for you now that the early game is over.

I think this just affirms the position that EO4 should be the go-to "introduce new players to the series" game for forever. Unless EO5 can maintain the same balance.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Which one of you actually put down the :10bux::10bux::10bux: to make this an actual emote?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Unrelatedly the Etrian Mystery Dungeon 3DS theme is available now (in NA at least).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w11ZoqvHzJc

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also, you really want to avoid situations where your leader is in a room, but the rest are in a hallway. Seriously, even if you have ranged attackers like a Gunner or a Hexer and they're in the hallway, they won't do ANYTHING until they actually step in the room. I'm finding this a bit more engaging than the PMD series at least.

IIRC that happens because they can't actually see the enemy. In Hallways you only have vision of the area of the hallway. Once you step into a room you get vision on the whole room. This applies to the AI as well. Accepting, of course, the cases where you use something that lights up the whole floor (I seem to recall a Wonder Orb that did that in PMD so there's probably a scroll in EMD that does it too)

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Raquna posted:

I'm curious about that pub.

Raquna posted:

Hey! Why not stop by the pub?

Raquna posted:

We might learn something at the pub.

Raquna posted:

Why don't we stop by the pub for a while?

Raquna confirmed for best character in Story mode. :beerpal:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

pissdude posted:

so the red lion lady had a key in the mysterious forest, but i didn't have the 4k en for it. i really wanted the key, so i took it, and now im dead..

You have learned a valuable lesson about loving with dungeon shopkeepers in Mystery Dungeon games.

Do not

gently caress

With shopkeepers

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

theshim posted:

Everyone was actually alive for the Fenrir kill. It was a couple earlier fights that staggered the bars a little. gently caress you dr. fetus there is no loving way you do this legit

I don't remember, but I didn't run out of Flash Bombs, so...approximately 20-22, best guess. This was my second try, first try at 14 and with slightly worse grimoires didn't pan out. I also forgot to bring the level 8 poison dust grimoire I got (with the +2 levels bonus, so that would've been max rank for the fight :v:).

Have you contemplated going outside your game to get a Grimoire with Recharge 10 on it? 'Cause something tells me you'll be wanting it by the end. Survivalists are so TP hungry in this game and they have such tiny TP pools.

Your future: Sagittarius Shot, Sagittarius Shot, Sagittarius Shot, Sagittarius Shot, Sagittarius Shot, Multi Shot, Multi Shot, Multi Shot, Multi Shot, Multi Shot, Multi Shot, Multi Shot, Multi Shot, Multi Shot, Multi Shot, Sagittarius Shot, Sagittarius Shot, Sagittarius Shot, Sagittarius Shot, Sagittarius Shot, gently caress WE'RE OUT OF TP.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

theshim posted:

yeah that's pretty much how it's going already :smith:

Someone get this man a Recharge 10 Grimoire.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

gannyGrabber posted:

Survivalists have good hats, though. Are they really that bad? Sticking one in the back row and doing a full dodge/taunt build would work, right?

Don't mind him. He's lost his mind after Dr. Fetus pushed him to do a 5 Survivalist run of EOU.

He's on Stratum 3 now I think. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

theshim posted:

guys

psa

survivalists are terrible

You're almost there. I don't know how you're gonna beat Etreant though.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

theshim posted:

Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant. For you. Hate. Hate.

And so the saga ends as it began.

In hatred.

Beautiful.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
How does Revenge Curse work in EOU?

I know it was OP as hell in EO2 so I'm sure they nerfed it but I don't know by how much.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
You'll probably be OK by the time you get to that jerk who stole my name. Maybe.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Sure would be nice if Nintendo would give up region locking their systems, eh Europe?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Fungah! posted:

yeah, i like that gimmick a lot, except for B1 of HoD where the stairs are in a room that's in all four corners of the map. that's just mean

Personally that was my favorite part of that floor. :v:

Fungah! posted:

all i know is that it was a pain in the rear end to map

I thought it was neat to map.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

SC Bracer posted:

Yeah i ended up taking the branch to the bar because I didn't trust flavio enough to climb the tree. I guess the lesson here is friendship is good.

I take every opportunity the game gives me to be an rear end to Flavio. It's great.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I like how you actually can kill the deer and eat it, too.

Arianna is great. This game is great.

You get like 10+ pieces of Venison from them, 20+ (!!) if you have the More Ingredients food going.

They are VERY plump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm enjoying the fact that every food has a beautiful image to go with it and the story team seems to have some kind of interaction over all of them.

• Locked thread