Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I am well pleased by the thread title. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Txn posted:

Arthur is the only story-mode character that I like :(
what is it like being Wrong, eh :canada:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Either way Pincushion is a skill that benefits tremendously from a TP battery.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I dunno, other than one or two roadbumps, Expert in EOU felt like Classic Etrian Odyssey to me. Mind you, Iwaoropenelep was one of those roadblocks, until I figured out how to avoid the FOEs joining in...

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also, EO3's postgame is easy compared to EO1 and 2. The random encounters in this one are puppies compared to the first two games.

theshim
May 1, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

Blaspheme!

EO3 is too complicated for my puny mind. All the classes have this weird gimmick that makes it hard to sort out, and doing a 5 gladiator team is out of the question because they're flimsy!

Maybe a 5 princess team...
no

stop it :mad:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Speaking of things that would drive a person to madness, apparently in EO2U, there's a door on B30 that has a 100% chance of spawning a shiny Muckdile. I'm not sure how accurate that is since I've only heard about this from one person, but if that's true, then yikes.
Ahahahaha holy poo poo

that is the most thing imaginable

theshim
May 1, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

EO4 is the most fair game across the board. Basically any party is fine start to finish.

I beat the game recently with a party of 2 Nightseekers 2 Snipers and an Arcanist. theshim beat the game with 5 Runemasters.
And 5 Medics!! :shepicide:

My party that beat the postgame actually didn't run a Fortress, for what it's worth. EO4 is extremely generous with party composition, and has the best balance of classes in the series - every class feels impactful and powerful, it's great.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also a certain boss does not like your party using too many buffs.
:vd:

A point in Ad Nihilo and Inspire are pretty good to have, if you don't already.

theshim
May 1, 2012

5 Landsharks is a viable build! :hfive: Also distinctly less stupid than 5 Medics or Runemasters.

Basically the game gives you enough tools to work with that virtually any combination can beat the game. I know a guy who beat it with three Dancers. EO4 is super super friendly while still perfectly happy to murder you with butterflies, so you can really just go with whatever you think sounds cool and it'll work out! :buddy:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ideally you want the first hit with your Linkshark to deal as much damage as possible, so the followups will all hit harder as well. Personally I didn't care too much for Links, as I felt they required too much setup for the damage they dealt, but other people love them, so go with whatever feels best to you.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well in that case, yeah. Single class runs tend to throw a lot of things out the window. :v: Still haven't tried one of those myself. No idea which game to start with, maybe EO4.
Oh god, do EO4 if you're going to do that. None of the other games in the series will be nearly as generous with letting you get away with this stupidity.

For baby's first SCC, Fortress is actually probably the easiest, amusingly enough! :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

But then, EO4 didn't have a special theme for the postgame superboss either.

Hopefully EO5 will fix both of these grievous oversights. :argh:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Those statues are interesting, but you really want to check the statues in the postgame area.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

I wonder how a 5 Medic run of EO1 would go. Sounds a bit crazy, but it turns out that enemies do not have any Stun resistance in this game. At all. Not even Primevil. And Caduceus has a 75% chance to stun at level 10. :getin: (It only increases to 80% at level 15)
Oh god, and you would have Immunize...

It's probably doable, albeit murderously stupid :v:

Speaking of which, I finally got my 3ds back from friends - should I try the postgame with 5 Runemasters, or start another moronic run? :unsmigghh:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well I managed to beat the Bloodbear with my 5 Sniper party. Both fights ended in 5 rounds. It was hilariously dumb since everyone was dishing out a lot of damage instead of having a couple of party members do support stuff. This is probably a run that's going to have a terrible early game, but a hilariously easy late game, isn't it?
You're doing better than I expected, I'll say that :stare: Honestly I'd expect 5 Snipers to be one of the hardest SCCs - no defense, no support, no ailment clearing, just arrows for days and binds. I mean, binds are super strong and with that many of them they'd probably be legitimately reliable, but...man, I dunno! Keep us posted!

theshim
May 1, 2012

How the everloving gently caress are their exp bars still synced :stare: :argh:

theshim
May 1, 2012

I actually liked the level gating for skills in EO4 in some respects. One of the major reasons I didn't enjoy Untold as much was because there were no breakpoints - no points to reach where things opened up for you. Progression was very gradual and very linear. EO3 had two breakpoints, subclassing and unlocking a class, while EO4 has six with subclassing, three unlocks, and two level gates. It might have been a bit much and it does mean the early game is awkward in some respects, but I really liked the feeling of major milestones and new stuff opening up compared to the simple "one skill point per level, the end" model of earlier games.

theshim
May 1, 2012

:suicide: I started a 5 Arcanist run :suicide:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What are your planned subclasses?
I see you've already given this more thought than I have! :shepface:

Dr. Fetus posted:

Now I'm curious to see how that can be done. Poison Circle is their only form of real damage until they hit level 20. How are you gonna deal with the Berserker King?
Poorly.

(Yeah, Poison Circle is basically my only damage other than sticking rapiers on my front row. I am dumb. This is dumb.)

theshim
May 1, 2012

Txn posted:

Dammit, you guys are tempting me to start a single-class run but you already choose the fun classes!

Edit: If no one made it already, how does a 5 Dancer party sound?
I know a guy who beat the game with a 3 Dancer party. The pluses are evasion, status/bind immunity, and setting up combos for heavy damage; the minuses are that you're squishy, dances only affect a row, and Guard Tango doesn't reduce elemental damage so you die a lot to that.

Also, as far as subs for my party, I kinda feel they'll be pretty similar to the ones I had for my Runemasters - Fortress, Bushi, Medic at least. The last two were Imperial and Arcanist, so I'll probably have at least one of those be a Runemaster, and honestly maybe both? There's little point in subbing Sniper or Nightseeker for this party, Dancer was pretty underwhelming last time, and Imperial doesn't bring anything to the table.

Ye gods this is dumb.

theshim
May 1, 2012

oh look my exp bars are desynced again :argh:

seriously how the hell did you get through the whole first land without that, did you just reset every time

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

What does Bushi even do for an Arcanist?
The same thing it did for Runemaster - access to Blood Surge. My R/B was my biggest damage dealer! :smithicide:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Has anyone done a five Fortress run?
Five Fortresses is actually the easiest SCC! You have TP sustain from their passive, HP sustain from Healing Wall and Holy Smite, help with recovery from binds and ailments with Knight's Boon and Holy Blessing, decent damage from maces and solid strength, elemental coverage with Bolt Strike, and tank for days. No other class has the suite of options available to Fortress, amusingly enough.

You won't nuke things down moronically fast like 5 Runemasters or 5 Nightseekers, but it should be an easy run from start to finish.

gannyGrabber posted:

How did you set the game up for a 5-man run? Everytime I do a new game plus it gives me all my money/item unlocks, which I don't want.
Blew all my money on items, then created 5 Arcanists, dismissed everyone else, and hit no for the logbook option. You can keep your maps, though, which is nice!

theshim
May 1, 2012

About to tackle the Bloodbear. Fights at this point basically boil down to "did poison land? If yes, win. If not, splat."

The problem is that will be the case until I get Dismiss Blow...

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Welp, time to get a Vita.

On a more serious note, that might be the actual release date for EO2U.
:psyduck:

August 4th, huh? I can work with that.

theshim
May 1, 2012

asvodel posted:

Even though you have 5 arcanists, can't you only have one circle active at a time? I have never actually put two arcanists into a party at the same time, so I don't know for sure.

For now what do the others do? Just normal attacks? Even charm eye/atrophic eye is on the 2nd tier of skills right?

I guess the plan once you get higher level is to have one guy make a circle and the guy after him use Dismiss Blow/Dismiss Blast/whatever after it in the same turn, twice per turn?
Basically, I have everyone spam circles one after the other when trying to land Arm Bind or Poison until it sticks, and then they get to noodlearm enemies (although access to rapiers does give them at least a little damage, which is more than could be said for Runemasters). This does tend to mean I run out of TP pretty fast, but for random encounters one Poison Circle usually sticks and deals ~300 now that it's maxed, so it'll carry me fine as long as I can keep landing it.

Bloodbear and Berserker King are going to be a bit of a luckfest, in all honesty.

Once I hit the second tier of skills it'll probably change to a couple Circle deployers, one or two dismissers, and someone to handle support. I'll have to fiddle around with gear to get people's speeds in order, but it shouldn't be that terrible. Leaving a Circle up will at least let me get Circle Boon off, although at this point the healing is negligible.

Also Bushi sub for Blood Surge dismissal will probably be my hardest hitter :suicide:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Tyty posted:

Couldn't you sub Landy for the rapier skills? That's what I considered for my frontline when I thought about doing a five-wufan run.
I could, but they'll be stuck at half max rank and with Arcanist's limpwristed attacks - I'll probably end up running a second Runemaster rather than a Landshark sub, but maybe I'll give it a run and see how it holds up.

theshim
May 1, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

You'll just have to join the rest of us in eagerly awaiting EO5. I click that drat site every day, just hoping for an update :(

E: theshim is the best EO player. Good luck with your bears, you poor bastard.
Bloodbear went down pretty simply, as it only took poison sticking once for each part of the fight.

Also poison really really really needs to stop wearing off in two turns. Berserker King should go down reasonably quickly if it sticks for more than that. Also it seems I can only land each of poison and arm bind once for the battle, sooooooooooooo... :smithicide:

theshim
May 1, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

Remember to stock up on blind gas from the atelier, it will give you a third status to work with!

E: 4 Bushi was being too easy, so I knocked myself down to 3!
But I need poison to stick, not blind. I need him to die! :argh:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Welp.

I, uh, beat the Berserker King, level 15. The first try at 14 failed because Poison stuck once and ticked an impressive six times, but once it wore off I must have spent twenty turns trying to land it again with no success. Bringing Ice Coffin also helped, as it let me do some actual damage.

This is going to start getting ugly soon, though. Poison's not going to be a OHKO for much longer, so I just get to hope that Dismiss Blow scales a lot better than it actually does, because that is the sum total of my damage until subclasses.

kill me

theshim
May 1, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

Snipers also have the benefit of 100% hit rates, whereas arcanists...

My 3 Bushi v H Mom is going to be quite the trick to pull off. I'll probably get by with the help of the Binoculars, though.
Whereas arcanists never actually attack anyway for more than piddly damage, so it's irrelevant.

Circles don't check evasion! :haw:

theshim
May 1, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

I also find it hilarious that the vessels are giving me poo poo for being human, even though my party consists of 2 Rabbit ladies and a lion man.
I find it funnier, given that my entire party are Vessels :buddy:

theshim
May 1, 2012

gossun gossun f o e

theshim
May 1, 2012

SC Bracer posted:

a Hexer that isn't Arthur stuffed into rags and chained up
well there's a :stare: mental image

Just got my first couple Arcanists to level 20, though I'm probably going to rest everyone at 22 and respec. One thing that is annoying is that you can't select any of the Dismiss skills unless a circle is already active, meaning I have exactly zero round one damage besides poison, assuming it lands, for the whole game.

:suicide:

theshim
May 1, 2012

The short form is pretty much "grab the demo for EO4 and see if you like it". It's a legitimately great series, even if it isn't for everyone.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Welp, I got to Wufan. Still not sure what the hell I'm going to do once poison stops being useful.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Turns out maxed Dismiss Blow deals around 120 damage, closer to 90 to FOEs.

...here's hoping Circle Mastery is really loving strong?

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

It only provides a 154% boost to dismiss effects, so that damage would go up to around 184 or 138. I think you're going to need a Runemaster sub.
:smith:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Well, I, uh, beat the Hollow Queen. Party level of 22, my lowest to date. The one boss that will actually be really easy for this run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

It is indeed three days.

Also: gently caress the Golden Lair.

That is all.

• Locked thread