Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Welcome back, thread!

I'm still stuck on goddamn iwaronopenelopycruz. God, I hate grinding! EOU can suck it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Dr. Fetus posted:

Are you playing on Story or Classic mode? Use Raquna's Volt Wall every 3-4 turns, including the 1st turn, and have Arthur spam his Ice attacks. If you're playing on Classic though, yeah you'll have to grind. Even if you do all the quests, not having access to Gladsheim puts them behind the curve quite a bit. The game expects your party to be level 55 around that time. It's dumb, and I'm glad EO2U's avoiding that problem.

Oh, I have the strategy down. It's simply that I just don't have the numbers to beat him.

Yeah I'm level 44...

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Dr. Fetus posted:

Actually I was wrong, level 50 is the right mark. Still dumb. All I can say is that if you can take down any rare breed forest folk FOEs, do so. Maybe put the game on Picnic so grinding will be painless.

Yeah, I guess. Or I could do the right thing and just never play EOU again.

I'm eager for them to give us more info about EO5. I hope it's along the same lines as 4.

I really hope they bring back the super sweet EO4 Landsknecht is what I'm saying. Those guys had it all!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Etrian Odyssey 5 has a website up. It's just the trailer and a background image, but I have to say, if that image is representative of the scale of the game, I'd be very pleased.

http://sq-atlus.jp/sq5/

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The correct answer is to just play EO4 3 times instead of mucking through EO3

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Pureauthor posted:

Except EO3 is totally more funner than EO4!

Blaspheme!

EO3 is too complicated for my puny mind. All the classes have this weird gimmick that makes it hard to sort out, and doing a 5 gladiator team is out of the question because they're flimsy!

Maybe a 5 princess team...

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Do a run with five farmers.

With no weapons or armor.

And fight all FOEs immediately. :unsmigghh:

Sounds like a job for theshim.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Everyman posted:

Finally got my hands on a 3ds recently and just picked up EO IV. I've played the first three to hell and back, but I have this nasty habit of trying to roll with a party composition meant for post-game from the get go and making the early game needlessly difficult by building for skills that won't really shine for a long time. What are some good parties for tackling the first couple of strata? I was thinking of going with Fortress/Landsknecht in the front row and Medic/Runemaster/Sniper for the back to mirror my first party for the original way back in the day.

Is it viable to run without a Fortress or Medic in the early game? I usually prefer more aggressive parties and debuffing to boosting defense and healing. I know I'll definitely be able to pull that off later, but I was curious to know if its more trouble than its worth when starting out. Are the QR codes in the op worth nabbing for the extra items? I'm pretty much going into this blind apart from looking at the classes (including the unlockable ones) so any tips or advice about new features is appreciated.

Basically just do 3 landsknechts up front. The other 2 spots don't really matter.

--

Useful post: Fortress and medic aren't hugely important. Actually, even at the end of the game you don't need them! Items are very strong and useful in EO4, and money is not hard to come by. You can also use burst skills to spot heal or shore up your defenses if needed.

Just pick whichever 5 characters you think seem the most interesting and you'll be perfectly fine with whatever you've picked.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

theshim posted:

5 Landsharks is a viable build! :hfive: Also distinctly less stupid than 5 Medics or Runemasters.

It's not just a viable build, it's the best build! My 5 landies got a 100% complete around lvl 89 or so!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Everyman posted:

Thanks for all the advice, almost to the first stratum's boss and I'm pretty happy with my party of LND/SR so far. It started off a little dicey without a dedicated healer, but that got me to use skills I'd otherwise never touch like the Landsknecht's Bandage for cheap after battle healing. Actually having to rely on binds and status effects is an interesting change of pace from my usual style of heavy hitters and brute force.

Keep in mind with bandage not to level it up too quickly. You want to keep it in the range where it's healing about half hp or so while still being affordable. Medicas are also dirt cheap, so I wouldn't be too shy about stocking up on those.

Also keep in mind while running multiple LNs that links don't 'stack', you cna only have one link active at a time. As you level up and your link starts lasting for more than 1 hit, you should start thinking about just having one dedicated linker. Sub class him/her as a runemaster for best results!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Everyman posted:

Thanks, sinking too many points into a skill too soon is a bad habit of mine. I only have one L right now but I've only just unlocked the links. My party is level 14 but I wanted to sink some points into the breaks first for the sake of survivability. Is there a link element I should be focusing on? Same question for Runemaster, or can I build it like my Zodiac from 3 by spreading the points around in each element? I only put 2 points into each of the first tier damage runes so far.

if I recall correctly, most things in the game are weak to ice, whereas the element that the fewest things resist is lightning. So, Ice for big damage, lightning for reliability, fire if you hate yourself.

The breaks are both hugely useful, so adding points to them is certainly a good choice.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Dr. Fetus posted:

The problem with the break skills is that they're support skills on a damage class. In the early game, they're good because a Landsknecht doesn't really have much to do at that point, but once they get access to more skills, they have better things to do than debuffing the enemy. Especially if they're a Linksknecht, where all that time spent debuffing could be spent setting up Improved Link and Vanguard. Also the Arcanist has Charm Eye, which has both the effects of Power and Mind Break, but it only eats up one debuff slot and can't miss. Also if you have a Fortress in the party, they get better at tanking, which kind of makes the breaks a bit redundant on top of all that.

Yeah, but when you're running 5 landies, and have two in the back row...

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

psudonym55 posted:

I'm mildly amused that EO4 the one everybody says a newbie should start with and can be done with any party is the one I've been having the most issue with. EO3 I'm at the 4th stratum so far and really had no trouble getting there, also at the end of the 4th stratum in Untold and have had no issues getting there either but EO4 is a much different story still at the 3rd stratum or whatever they called it in EO4. Took me 3 tries to beat they guy to unlock sub classing and apparently he's very easy or so I'm told.

The start of the third labyrinth is a major hump for a lot of parties. What you need to keep in mind is that the entire area is balanced against the assumption that you have sub classing (more options and +5 skill points), so the little bit before that is quite difficult. Now that you've beaten Kibagami, you'll have a much easier time of it. I would also venture to say that the third land as a whole is the hardest part of the game.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Ayana posted:

So I just killed the Berserker King in EO4, and I'm realizing that outside of boss/FOE fights my medic is just kind of there. I'm running a link knight/dancer/night guy, medic/runemaster party, and the medic is definitely the weak link. But what do I do with that? The front line isn't particularly defensive, but they tear poo poo up with buffs, and the dancer can keep most of the healing going anyways.

But subbing in a sniper means that I'm dependent on the dancer and the runemaster's healing staff for healing. And she's definitely got better stuff to be spending her tp on.

Subbing in a Sniper is fine. You can go through the game fairly easily using only item heals, money is not hard to come by at all. If you want to keep your medic, you could also throw on some Luck equipment and just use one of the status effect bashes every turn. Switch to a more healing oriented item set when you get into a fight where you need it.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Dr. Fetus posted:

How would a 5 Sniper run of EO4 work out? I guess Chase Bind could probably be a useful ability here.

I started mine, but it kind of fell by the wayside for Persona Q. It's not -terribly- difficult, but it certainly makes the game longer, since in most fights you're working on binding everything down before you go in for the kill.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Dr. Fetus posted:

I will say that I had a brief period of trouble with the Angry Baboons and the Big Rollers. Binds weren't an issue, it's just that they had so much HP that they took ages to kill since everyone only did around 10 points of damage. Then I realized that I forgot to upgrade their initial bows to the +30 attack bows. That made a huge difference. Unfortunately, I can confirm that the defense stat works exactly like it did in EO3. Your total defense from equipment is divided by 3, so upgrading armor isn't important unless it's a significant increase. (8 to 22 is a significant increase. 8 to 12 is not.) Money isn't an issue because Dendrology makes gathering from Chop Points hilariously profitable since it procs 50% of the time if 5 people have it. Also I have no idea what the increases in Scavenger are, but it's a lot more effective than EO3's version since I only have one person with 3 points in it, and I'm getting a ton of monster drops. That said, a lot of it has to be spent on healing supplies since I have no dedicated healer.

I only got the Bloodbear kill at level 11, and it took two tries so that's probably not that impressive. The first time it ended up killing my entire front line with its opening move and leaving my back row in the red. Guard Order dropped the damage to pathetic levels on the 2nd try, and it dropped pretty fast since it tried the charge up move and everyone stunned it on the first turn. Also I found out that you can cast the same Burst Skill twice in one turn as long as you have enough Burst for those, which really helped.

So far it seems like that you really have to play to your party's strengths in a single class challenge. My current plan is to have two Snipers sub Bushi and have them be my main damage dealers, while the rest sub Arcanist and provide support. That said, I can see this party tackle the Warped Savior. Without chemicals. :getin:

Nice! You probably already know this, but keep in mind that arm binds lower enemies' physical attack damage, so even if you're being slammed by regular attacks, you can use them as de facto power breaks.

I would strongly consider subbing one of your back row snipies as a Fortress. The party wide phys/ele def buffs are going to be very useful. You really don't need the boosts from arcanist: just having lots of luck on your items/accs will make binds easy to apply.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

theshim posted:

How the everloving gently caress are their exp bars still synced :stare: :argh:

It's not that hard to do! it's a party where if one of your guys are dead, chances are the whole team is dead.

E: drat, I was beaten.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

theshim posted:

:suicide: I started a 5 Arcanist run :suicide:

No! I was just about to do this!

I guess... I guess I'll do Bushi...

How did you set the game up for a 5-man run? Everytime I do a new game plus it gives me all my money/item unlocks, which I don't want.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

theshim posted:

Blew all my money on items, then created 5 Arcanists, dismissed everyone else, and hit no for the logbook option. You can keep your maps, though, which is nice!

Yeah, I figured this was how you did it. Bit of a pain, but oh well!

I challenge you to only start with 4 arcanists, and then only sub the 5th in when you get Wufan! That's what I'll be doing with Bushi and Kibagami, just to make it a bit more interesting.

E: It feels so wrong, dismissing my super sweet party :(

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 24, 2015

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Everyman posted:

That would explain why I haven't been able to find much information on it yet. :downs:

Looks like I'll just stick to the classics then, thanks. I'll probably end up starting another run of 4 with a different party comp after this clear anyway since I doubt nostalgia alone will get me through another 100% clear of EO1.

You'll just have to join the rest of us in eagerly awaiting EO5. I click that drat site every day, just hoping for an update :(

E: theshim is the best EO player. Good luck with your bears, you poor bastard.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

theshim posted:

Bloodbear went down pretty simply, as it only took poison sticking once for each part of the fight.

Also poison really really really needs to stop wearing off in two turns. Berserker King should go down reasonably quickly if it sticks for more than that. Also it seems I can only land each of poison and arm bind once for the battle, sooooooooooooo... :smithicide:

Remember to stock up on blind gas from the atelier, it will give you a third status to work with!

E: 4 Bushi was being too easy, so I knocked myself down to 3!

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 25, 2015

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

SC Bracer posted:

e: when I was looking for a sprite sheet to check I did find a review of the game (bolding mine).

Did that dude seriously try to trash the battle music??? gently caress that guy! Eo4's battle music is really good!

E:

3 Bushi (bushis? bushii?) downed the first bloodbear at level 12. It wasn't even a contest. He didn't even trigger Endure!

I might have to drop to 2 Bushi...

E#2: Berserker King down at level 15! It was down to the wire... I misstepped early on in the fight and ate his super attack, wiping away my Endures. After that we traded a bunch of hits, and naturally the turn I did some medica healing he started charging up again. Wasn't able to stun him in time, so I had my third guy use the ally shield from the Pelta to save someone earlier in the hit order... And then that single Bushi won the fight with 43 hp left! But now my exp bars are all out of sync :(

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 25, 2015

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Pureauthor posted:

The one in EO4 sucks because it doesn't restore TP.

Also it's not Geo Impact, so you'd never use it anyways.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Snipers also have the benefit of 100% hit rates, whereas arcanists...

My 3 Bushi v H Mom is going to be quite the trick to pull off. I'll probably get by with the help of the Binoculars, though.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm only halfway through my EO3 run. :(

I think what really turned me off to it was the fact there are branching paths or whatever. I hate hate hate having to look up guides for things that really should just be on rails.

EO4 update: Misty Ravine is kicking my rear end. The drat poison from the Black Claws sneaks past endure! I guess I could come back not at night, but that's pretty much cowardice...

I also find it hilarious that the vessels are giving me poo poo for being human, even though my party consists of 2 Rabbit ladies and a lion man.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm fairly certain you get the violet key shortly after Ant Queen, actually! I don't remember 100%.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

theshim posted:

well there's a :stare: mental image

Just got my first couple Arcanists to level 20, though I'm probably going to rest everyone at 22 and respec. One thing that is annoying is that you can't select any of the Dismiss skills unless a circle is already active, meaning I have exactly zero round one damage besides poison, assuming it lands, for the whole game.

:suicide:

Once you sub class, you'll have access to the nightseeker's throw skills, which might work really well for you.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

The art in the soundtrack sleeve is so dumb, yet again. Japan :3:

Regardless, time to buy buy buy!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Crosspeice posted:

That sure is a nice EMD and EOU2 EU release date.

:negative:

Time to emigrate!!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I think the main issue I have with Persona Q is the abysmal pacing. I'm about 40 hours in and still only halfway through the 4th maze. I usually go through theses games at a pretty quick pace, but for whatever reason PQ is just long as hell.

Also the difficulty balance is off, too. regular fights are never remotely difficult, FOEs you need to break the game to kill 'em.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Persona Q is great if you want to see the P3 and P4 dorks fumbling over each other.

I married the dog. :3:

I ended up with teddie, and hated myself for it. I just couldn't resist saying that I loved bear puns :(

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The third maze is EO4's big difficulty hump, it gives problems to everyone ever. It has a lot of elemental damage coming your way and the majority of the game's classes just don't deal well with that poo poo.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Man, I'm doing all Bushi, they have auto revive! My xp bars have been desynced since level 6 :(

Dr. Fetus please desync your bars so we can all feel better.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
3 Bushi beat Kibagami, after about 10 drat tried. He just had so much staying power that it was hard as poo poo to rush him down.

Went with Bushi/Dancer, Bushi/Nightseeker, Bushi/Medic. We'll see how it pans out.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

theshim posted:

oh god why

beat kibagami at level 27 :suicide:

Jesus. I was like level 36 before the bushis could beat him!

Good luck with Eo4, new guy! it's the best/easiest one. depending who you ask! It all gets harder and more hateful from here on...

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 30, 2015

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm a hair's breadth away from quitting my 3 Bushi. Golden Lair enemies just insta wipe me! I'm level 38!

I suppose I should push to 40 and see what happens...

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The last time I played a 'dungeon' game was chocobo's dungeon back on psx... it was a nightmare.

EMD is in the mail!!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Looking forward to 4 Landies... I can do it! I believe in me!

Does EMD have any sub classing nonsense or am I setting myself up for pain and suffering?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Dr. Fetus posted:

So if it feels like FP drains awfully fast on certain classes, that''s why. Basically, it seems like the squisher classes can last longer without needing to eat.

What is FP and do my 4 landies need to worry about it...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Beat the First (Second?) Dungeon!

4 Landies is working well so far, no game overs, beat the golem dude at level 4. Just surrounded him, activated Vanguard, and started smashing away for 80dmg/person/turn with double strike.

• Locked thread