Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I still can't believe you'd break the rules like you did, mills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

That night was my favourite part of PopCon :allears:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

I still can't believe you'd break the rules like you did, mills

shhh

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

That night was my favourite part of PopCon :allears:

shhh

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rurea posted:

Apparently nothing!

##mute Rurea (-1)

Alright, Opop, please save me from this hell.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Go Mills!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sell.

First of all this is demonstrably false, as winny has been seen. I can go into taste's "game" right now and gaze upon his presence.

Secondly, PopCon did not divide the community. This is a game about lying to and murdering each other, we have never been united (unless we're turboing Lumpen or Krell and even then it's more an "enemy of my enemy" situation.)

Thirdly, nobody even remembers PopCon, nobody cares about it, and nobody ever did. It wasn't impactful enough to destroy the community.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Opopanax posted:

Sell.

First of all this is demonstrably false, as winny has been seen. I can go into taste's "game" right now and gaze upon his presence.

It's clearly hyperbole, but, okay. Fine. +1

quote:

Secondly, PopCon did not divide the community. This is a game about lying to and murdering each other, we have never been united (unless we're turboing Lumpen or Krell and even then it's more an "enemy of my enemy" situation.)

Thirdly, nobody even remembers PopCon, nobody cares about it, and nobody ever did. It wasn't impactful enough to destroy the community.

+1

I find it a little hard to believe when "popcon ruined everything" is memetic in the community, but you get points for showing up.

Buy or Sell #2: Speaking of running jokes, I've got a game I'm thinking of running. Where should it go?

In the queue?

There's been a flood of games lately, normal to large size ones at that, several of which have flopped out as understaffed. Do we need a queue? Would it benefit large games? Small games? Both categories seem to be having issues.

Buy or sell the queue, Mills.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

lol this thread

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

If we don't have a queue, who wins and who loses?

Winners:
People who are popular, people who run good games

Losers:
Anyone that doesn't fall into a category above which seems to be EccoRaven as I run my eye over a list of games that are having trouble filling up.

But "equality for all" is the catch cry I hear from idiots baying for the queue, idiots who wouldn't know a tautology if it hit them in the back of their heads, much less the front.

If we do have a queue, what changes?

People will be co-erced into signing up for games that they have no interest in playing, games that they will lurk and poo poo-post through because they aren't enjoying them, leading to everyone else not enjoying them, leading to faster burn-out and the destruction of all mafia we know it. And as the world champion of mafia I simply cannot support this; I'd rather these hoodlums put their poo poo-posting somewhere more appropriate. Like this thread.

The mafia queue is basically communism and I am well known as a dirty capitalist on this forum so I'm going to have to sell this one.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mills you just lost the right to post for me.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mills posted:

If we don't have a queue, who wins and who loses?

Winners:
People who are popular, people who run good games

+1 Okay.

quote:

Losers:
Anyone that doesn't fall into a category above which seems to be EccoRaven as I run my eye over a list of games that are having trouble filling up.

No need to be mean, now. -1

quote:

But "equality for all" is the catch cry I hear from idiots baying for the queue, idiots who wouldn't know a tautology if it hit them in the back of their heads, much less the front.

If we do have a queue, what changes?

People will be co-erced into signing up for games that they have no interest in playing, games that they will lurk and poo poo-post through because they aren't enjoying them, leading to everyone else not enjoying them, leading to faster burn-out and the destruction of all mafia we know it. And as the world champion of mafia I simply cannot support this; I'd rather these hoodlums put their poo poo-posting somewhere more appropriate. Like this thread.

##mute Mills (-1)

Uh-huh. :rolleyes:

Opop, hit me.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Whoa, I'm seeing double! 4 Trips!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Mills you lost the right to post for me.

weird how you can still talk even though you're muted

this would work better on irc

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mills I never knew we were such kindred spirits

I also say Sell, and I like communism

I've always been against the queue. We're insular enough that a simple "Hey I'm going to launch a big game on friday, cool?" should be sufficent.

I joke but it's really a free market issue. Two mods running concurrent games will draw different people in depending on things like flavour, other players, size, and the mod themselves. A queue puts unecesary and artifical restraints on us and hampers creativity and the will to run games.

Ecco just wants to be a tyrant and not actually follow or respect the queue anyways, iirc.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ernie. posted:

weird how you can still talk even though you're muted

this would work better on irc

shh

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Opopanax posted:

unecesary and artifical restraints

if opop doesn't lose at least 35 points for two mis-spellings in a single sentence, ON KEY WORDS, then i don't know how Allen Wren can say that they're impartial!!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Opopanax posted:

Mills I never knew we were such kindred spirits

Ahahahahahahah.

quote:

I also say Sell, and I like communism

Surprising, yeah. +2

quote:

I've always been against the queue. We're insular enough that a simple "Hey I'm going to launch a big game on friday, cool?" should be sufficent.

I joke but it's really a free market issue. Two mods running concurrent games will draw different people in depending on things like flavour, other players, size, and the mod themselves. A queue puts unecesary and artifical restraints on us and hampers creativity and the will to run games.

+1

quote:

Ecco just wants to be a tyrant and not actually follow or respect the queue anyways, iirc.

A bit of advance notice should be sufficient, but is it? Meinberg?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

ernie got salt tonight huh

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yo, for real, is it too much to ask for you guys to knock it the gently caress off?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
The queue has some good ideas, there's no denying that. The imposition of order onto the chaos of our world would do good for all. This state of anarchy allows only those with established power bases to truly prosper. You can see a similar problem where new Mafia players are often discouraged and inhibited from playing the game to their fullest, due to the lack of ease of entry. With all sorts of established mods putting up games at a fairly decent clip, it can be difficult for a newer mod to put up a game and attract attention, even if that mod happens to have good, or at least interesting, ideas.

But, unfortunately, the queue is not the method I would go with. The rigidity of its model can inhibit more than it can foster. Still, it is a reaction to a genuine problem, and some aspects of it might be of use going into the future. But for the time, I'll have to Sell on the idea of the queue.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Because knock it the gently caress off.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

gently caress it, nevermind.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Alright, let's try this again. But, for real, do I need to literally put up "don't post if you're not playing?" I didn't think that was necessary.

Meinberg posted:

The queue has some good ideas, there's no denying that. The imposition of order onto the chaos of our world would do good for all. This state of anarchy allows only those with established power bases to truly prosper. You can see a similar problem where new Mafia players are often discouraged and inhibited from playing the game to their fullest, due to the lack of ease of entry. With all sorts of established mods putting up games at a fairly decent clip, it can be difficult for a newer mod to put up a game and attract attention, even if that mod happens to have good, or at least interesting, ideas.

But, unfortunately, the queue is not the method I would go with. The rigidity of its model can inhibit more than it can foster. Still, it is a reaction to a genuine problem, and some aspects of it might be of use going into the future. But for the time, I'll have to Sell on the idea of the queue.

+2

Rurea, please tell me you're there.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Welp.

:toot:

##mute Rurea (-1)

We've been horned, and that means someone's gotta go. Opop's immune to the NK right now, but the scum's going to PM me and one of the three other players will be eliminated going into the Lightning Round. Stick around.

You know, quietly.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm going to be MIA for like 20 minutes FYI

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, that was anticlimactic.

Opop 8, Meinberg 7, Mills 6, it is, in fact, anybody's ballgame.

Alright, give this a quick once-over.

Meinberg, what's your take?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
CS:GO seems like a bad game, only for people who aren't interested in the hot and heavy multiplayer skills necessary to play a game with real stakes. Games like Dominions 4 and Europa Universalis. The amount of time that the Mafia community has been spending on this game seems like a troubling trend, a distraction for those more interested in bleeps and bloops than in good old fashioned strategy and thinking.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Meinberg posted:

CS:GO seems like a bad game, only for people who aren't interested in the hot and heavy multiplayer skills necessary to play a game with real stakes. Games like Dominions 4 and Europa Universalis. The amount of time that the Mafia community has been spending on this game seems like a troubling trend, a distraction for those more interested in bleeps and bloops than in good old fashioned strategy and thinking.

+2

I can't deal with either GO or EU/Dom style games anyway, so it's mostly moot for me, but sure.

Mills?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Summary: Everyone tried to rekt each other without acknowledging each other's rekts. Mafia goons can be mean bads, but CS goons are bigger bads. Asiina hit silver 2. Events still more memorable than Pop Con.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mills posted:

Summary: Everyone tried to rekt each other without acknowledging each other's rekts. Mafia goons can be mean bads, but CS goons are bigger bads. Asiina hit silver 2. Events still more memorable than Pop Con.

+2 Sure, okay.

We'll give Opop a couple minutes.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 17, 2015

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Whenever you're ready, Opop.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I can't read that on my phone but I'm against it

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Opopanax posted:

I can't read that on my phone but I'm against it

:toot:

##mute Opop (-1)

Alright, scum, message me the NK. We'll be back for the showdown in just a bit.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Looks like it's Opop who's going out next. What's the last word, Opop?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Apparently nothin'.

There you go.

Two quick showdowns, one post's worth of face time to the winner. Good luck.

Alright, it's fanclub vs. fanclub time. Break down this whole Swift vs. West thing. Mills, you're on first.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

(I hit submit on my PC but forums won't load. I'm just waiting for them to come back up but they seem to work on my phone).

I'll just transcribe it into here via the phone. *sigh*

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

:allears:

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

It's mostly ignorance blown out of proportion. Kanye and Taylor make very different music. Kanye makes good music, Taylor makes very catchy bad music. Both have their place - I am a fan of both. But Kanye was ignorant of Taylor's place in this world and so he created a mess by storming the stage when she was getting an award to say that Beyonce had a better video (which was true, but since when have award shows been objective...) and then Taylor appealed to her little girl army by writing some mean words about Kanye in one of her songs. This was a departure for Taylor as mostly she just writes mean words about her ex-boyfriends. It is my dream in life for Taylor Swift to write a song about me. But I digress. For the most part, their fans are their own separate blocs with very little overlap so it didn't really turn anyone off either of them. Now they're collaborating. They've come out the other side of this little tiff harder, better, faster, stronger than ever before and I am excited to see what they come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mills posted:

It's mostly ignorance blown out of proportion. Kanye and Taylor make very different music. Kanye makes good music, Taylor makes very catchy bad music. Both have their place - I am a fan of both. But Kanye was ignorant of Taylor's place in this world and so he created a mess by storming the stage when she was getting an award to say that Beyonce had a better video (which was true, but since when have award shows been objective...) and then Taylor appealed to her little girl army by writing some mean words about Kanye in one of her songs. This was a departure for Taylor as mostly she just writes mean words about her ex-boyfriends. It is my dream in life for Taylor Swift to write a song about me. But I digress. For the most part, their fans are their own separate blocs with very little overlap so it didn't really turn anyone off either of them. Now they're collaborating. They've come out the other side of this little tiff harder, better, faster, stronger than ever before and I am excited to see what they come up with.

Okay. Meinberg?

(in this round, the scoring comes after both arguments are given)

• Locked thread