Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I just renewed my membership, and am trying to convince myself it's not a huge waste of money. Oh boy, all that road rage I felt fighting traffic to get here I get to experience every time I turn the corner because some old rear end ladies REALLY want to try this new stupid salmon sandwich that made the next 5 drat aisles smell like fish. Also about half the store is useless to me because I didn't come grocery shopping to spend $5,000 on a kid's swing set.

So here's some good things so I don't feel like I wasted my money:

They treat their employees nice and pay them well!

There's also lots of registers open (not ever enough, but still), so at least they know that the lines are a bitch and try to keep it from happening.

$200 keeps my family fed for a month sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I love all of the people standing around for a half hour blocking all of the aisles for a tiny loving free sample.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
$1.50 hot dog and soda

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Axel Serenity posted:

$1.50 hot dog and soda

Oh that's a good one. Except I buy frozen chicken and stuff. I can't be expected to stop for a hot dog on my way out man, poo poo is thawing as we speak!

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Cheap fuckin' meat

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Hassle-free returns. I once returned a thing I received as a gift/prize, not even sure if it actually came from Costco, but they were selling it so they took it back and gave me cash.

Also once I returned a monitor cause I wasn't satisfied with it and the dude responsible for choosing what monitors to sell wanted to know about what I thought, and why I was returning it. But in a totally constructive way, so as to get better products next time.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
They always have bananas.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
you guys are complaining about people standing around and blocking the aisles in a retail store? thats like every store and almost every public space in fact, its not unique to costco

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The bagels don't become moldy the next day every time.

Most times but not every time.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I love all of the people standing around for a half hour blocking all of the aisles for a tiny loving free sample.

It's me. I'm the sample blocker

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
12 packs of sodas I have never heard of but must try when I see them

I got the computer I am posting this very message from at COSTCO as well so I guess that too.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I like to get a lot of chicken and brocoli for cheap af

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
TVs with no margin. Printer ink and paper and EXPO MARKERS (I'm a teacher). The pizza from the front. Cheap eye exams and contacts.

Their travel packages. I'm pretty expert at cobbling together cheap travel and they beat the best price I could get to Hawaii by $1000. People tend to only think of the products but their services kick rear end too.

butt implants
Oct 16, 2004

i'm gay

Celluloid Sam posted:

I like to get a lot of chicken and brocoli for cheap af

The pre-cut broccoli they have is more expensive than at the chinese market.

I've had the perception that Costco was cheaper for food than the supermarket most of the time, but I've slowly realized that the prices are usually pound-for-pound about the same, but you'll usually get better quality stuff.

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

Riven posted:

TVs with no margin. Printer ink and paper and EXPO MARKERS (I'm a teacher). The pizza from the front. Cheap eye exams and contacts.

Their travel packages. I'm pretty expert at cobbling together cheap travel and they beat the best price I could get to Hawaii by $1000. People tend to only think of the products but their services kick rear end too.

Ditto on the pizza. I love the pizza! And huge bucket of cream puffs.

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009
less gross weirdos and smelly homeless because you have to pay to shop there and the cheapest thing is like 10 bucks

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
You can get a 42 pack of beer

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

unterdude posted:

I've had the perception that Costco was cheaper for food than the supermarket most of the time, but I've slowly realized that the prices are usually pound-for-pound about the same, but you'll usually get better quality stuff.

I wish I had a local market, Chinese or otherwise

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Buying hotdogs in bulk and freezing them.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

You can get a 42 pack of beer

If you aren't in a dry county. :(

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My roommate's a supervisor in the tire section and puts tires on my car for free

Also the ground beef is cheap as gently caress

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad we have one in a nearby city.

They put it in the worst god damned area for getting in and out of it though :argh:

One day I'll go and see what all the fuss is about :allears:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Johnny Aztec posted:

If you aren't in a dry county. :(

It's pretty drinkable beer too.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

unterdude posted:

I hear people say this a lot, but around here Costco usually still beats the supermarkets' sale prices (while also being better quality.) There are some things they're closer to parity on, but most of the stuff I buy is way cheaper at Costco.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
600 count generic benadryl for $5 (six-hundred, not a typo)
24 count benadryl costs $6 at grocery store

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

brick cow posted:

600 count generic benadryl for $5 (six-hundred, not a typo)
24 count benadryl costs $6 at grocery store

This poo poo right here.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Chocolate covered almonds
Giant tubs of Jelly Belly jellybeans
Those huge "breakfast muffins" that are actually just chocolate cake with huge chocolate chips
$5 rotisserie chickens
Flashing your card up front like you're a VIP
If you have kids with you, the receipt checkers will draw a happy face on the receipt :3:
Individually wrapped fish filets or chicken breasts.
The big awesome corned beef roasts they have seasonally.
Huge packs of dirt cheap Kirkland AA batteries

"Lookin' like a boss though, in head-to-toe Costco"

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Hotdogs
Cheap horrible clothes
Office snack cupboard staples
Bulk veggies

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

canyoneer posted:

Chocolate covered almonds

If you are talking about the ones with sea salt, these things are dangerous. Not even once.

Also recently been addicted to the Korean Pork Jerky.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Giant bags of frozen chicken breasts for like $20.

Also it already got mentioned, but $1.50 for a huge hot dog and free refills on a drink. Just get food before you even start shopping!

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
A rotating stock of 22oz bombers from local microbreweries for really cheap.

Occasionally really ridiculous deals on whisk(e)y. Like, High West Double Rye for $25.

Giant rear end bags of organic greens for about the same price as a tiny rear end bag at Whole Foods.

Ridiculously good fresh salmon and steaks for reasonable prices, and ground bison that's cheap enough that I can use it in everything. (bison is delicious)

A lifetime supply of ibuprofen for like $5.

Quality packs of honeycrisp apples all year round.

I honestly haven't even explored their non-food/booze items very much but my wife got a lovely leather coat from their clothing section for like $25 a few weeks ago.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Roger Craig posted:

Cheap fuckin' meat

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Devil Wears Wings posted:

A rotating stock of 22oz bombers from local microbreweries for really cheap.

Occasionally really ridiculous deals on whisk(e)y. Like, High West Double Rye for $25.

Giant rear end bags of organic greens for about the same price as a tiny rear end bag at Whole Foods.

Ridiculously good fresh salmon and steaks for reasonable prices, and ground bison that's cheap enough that I can use it in everything. (bison is delicious)

A lifetime supply of ibuprofen for like $5.

Quality packs of honeycrisp apples all year round.

I honestly haven't even explored their non-food/booze items very much but my wife got a lovely leather coat from their clothing section for like $25 a few weeks ago.

drat, is bison a fatty meat? I kinda have a hankerin for bison chili now...

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Welcome to Costco I love you

Gogo Logo
Nov 11, 2008
You can get five huge and awesome avocados for a fraction of the usual price there.

They're also great for cheap prices on jackets and underwear, and their veggie platters are no laughing matter :colbert:

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

drat, is bison a fatty meat? I kinda have a hankerin for bison chili now...

It's actually extraordinarily lean and something like 1/2 the calories of ground beef. Makes great burgers (but cook 'em on the skillet - they're too delicate for most grills) and chili and shepherd's pies and stuffed peppers and anything else you like.

The price at Costco works out to a little over $7/lb which is not much money for a game meat.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.
I got an $800 mattress for $400 for some reason. The guy who rang me up couldn't believe it and said he was gonna go get one too.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
cheap, cheap, plentiful booze.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
My favorite thing about Costco is that my dad shops there and gives me a bunch of stuff whenever he buys too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'd estimate like 1/4 of our local Costco's employees are Mennonite girls and women which led me to think it was a religious company for a long period of time but nope, they just love hiring a lopsided amount of Mennonite girls for some reason

• Locked thread