Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This thread prompted me to look into how much a Costco membership actually is and that's not much at all.

I think I might sign up this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A man who buys 120 rolls of toilet paper has places to be.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

canyoneer posted:

You're right. That time I went at noon on a Saturday and waited 6 minutes in line for the cashier wasn't so bad, but the extra 45 seconds waiting for the receipt checker was a maddening waste of time that was frankly unacceptable to a 21st century man of industry like myself.

I also like to :smug: up the cashiers at every store by saying "You don't need to see my ID, my credit card is signed on the back and per Visa's merchant agreement you're not allowed to ask"

Costco doesn't take Visa!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gin_Rummy posted:

Uh, that can't be right because I used my Visa to buy groceries just last week. They certainly don't take visa CREDIT cards, but it doesn't seem like they discriminate on debit cards.

Yeah, they only take Amex for credit. MasterCard in Canada.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can't check it out without signing up first, unless you're a member's guest.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Have your coworkers started complaining about your farts yet?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

canyoneer posted:

They send a rebate check in the mail. I got mine this week, and I don't think I got enough of a rebate to justify the upgrade. I'm going to take my check into the store and they'll refund it.

That's cool too though. If you didn't spend enough to justify the higher tier, they'll refund you the difference and drop you to basic.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Am I looking at outdated pages, or does Costco still not accept credit cards outside of American Express? Because gently caress that noise; that's like cash-only bars (which, in tyool 2015, still exist :wtc:)

It helps keep the costs down. They get a lower rate from Amex because they can give them exclusivity.

Although I think they're switching to Visa next year or something.

Away all Goats posted:

It's true. It's not bad either. They also have Montreal Smoked Meat sandwiches that are pretty great.

Oddly, not at the one near me which is 10 minutes from Montreal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

This is the worst thing about Costco. You discover some great food or product and they end up never restocking them again. Half the time they're the in-store brand (Kirklands) so its not like you can even shop for it anywhere else :argh:

I got some soup there the first time they've never had since. It's just soup, how can you not restock soup?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They did downgrade the hot dogs they use at some point though, apparently.

I only got a membership recently so I don't know.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm in Canada (and even worse, Quebec) so most of what you guys post isn't available here but they did have those dumplings, and they're pretty good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Math You posted:

Most of what people post here is from the frozen section, which is pretty sad, and you should not feel bad.

On that note I will unironically give the Kirkland Cheese Pizza a thumbs up. It really is just a well balanced little tza that crisps up nicely without getting hard and one of the only frozen pizzas I've thought to myself "I'm eating this because it tastes good" rather than "I'm eating this because it took 10 minutes in the oven".

E: it might also make you happy to know that literally every Costco member in Ottawa makes a monthly pilgrimage to the Gatineau warehouse because wine and beer. Quebec Costco is pretty legit. Please push your local mpp to allow liquor sales in grocery stores so they can carry vodka and be truly world class Costco.

Yeah but that's because outside of the frozen stuff most of what they carry is just what you can get at any grocery, but in higher quantity.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Math You posted:

Starting pay is nothing spectacular but it's better than ordinary retail and goes up dramatically. Scale varies a bit between the two countries, but here in Canada starting wage is now $13/h

Current minimum wage in Canada ranges from $10.45 to $11.25, to put that into context.

Higher in the territories but I doubt they have Costco up there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Costco here seems to sell Bluray at the fake MSRP that every manufacturer sells way below. So they're like $10 more than anywhere else.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but then you need to put some kind of condiment on the napkins so they taste good, and we're back to square 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The worst part is when you find something you know isn't going to stick around.

• Locked thread