Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It's in this thread somewhere I think shortly after one of IF's two seasons, but it was said that Finn was usually given 15-60 minutes heads up and choreography practice for the action scenes.

No matter what you wished was different in production, let's just remember they thought they could cover up lack of planning with rampant jumpcuts that don't match https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nilq69M5u7s&t=46s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean the fact magic karate man couldn't karate was a massive flaw, sure, but he was also an unlikable and incompetent moron. And that's straight up down to the writing. And other characters constantly dunk on him for it, so it's not even like it's unintentional. They literally made "We trained him wrong as a joke" their lead character.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I was pumped for iron fist cause I thought it was gonna be like a 70s kung fu thing. Instead around my place whenever anyone mentions Iron fist you have to say the full name: Danny rand, the iron fist, defender of kun lun.

What a wasted premise.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I was super excited for the potential of Iron Fist until it was confirmed Scott Buck was the showrunner. After that the bar for my expectations went six feet under, so I was honestly pleasantly surprised by how much of Iron Fist did end up working.

Shame it was none of the story around Danny himself.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
He had his moments, and was improving in S2, but the bottom line is that Finn Jones was woefully miscast as Danny.

I won't cap him too much on the martial arts stuff since that was clearly a failure on the production side to train him up but he's too aloof and too pretty to sell the "wandering philosopher / wisecracking man of the street" aspect of the character.

He's supposed to be someone who can hang with Luke Cage, and, uhhh ... no.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Laterite posted:

He had his moments, and was improving in S2, but the bottom line is that Finn Jones was woefully miscast as Danny.

I won't cap him too much on the martial arts stuff since that was clearly a failure on the production side to train him up but he's too aloof and too pretty to sell the "wandering philosopher / wisecracking man of the street" aspect of the character.

He's supposed to be someone who can hang with Luke Cage, and, uhhh ... no.

I liked him fine as Danny, most of my issues with the character was just the writing itself. But him not being a martial artist and the production expecting him to pull off all the fight choreo with p much no training and no rehearsal time really hosed it all over lmao

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I dunno he was pretty bad at acting too. Like high school levels in places.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
reminder they passed over scott adkins for the iron fist role

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I was pumped for iron fist cause I thought it was gonna be like a 70s kung fu thing. Instead around my place whenever anyone mentions Iron fist you have to say the full name: Danny rand, the iron fist, defender of kun lun.

What a wasted premise.

I just referred to it as "Floor Punch" because that's how every conflict was eventually resolved

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
When the first season came out I kept track of every time he used the fist. I don't think he ever used it on a person till Luke Cage, and even there it was pretty useless in a fight.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

As Nero Danced posted:

When the first season came out I kept track of every time he used the fist. I don't think he ever used it on a person till Luke Cage, and even there it was pretty useless in a fight.

I like that there's a text file on your computer labeled number of fistings

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

zer0spunk posted:

I like that there's a text file on your computer labeled number of fistings

Thanksgiving 2019: 4

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Things Danny has used his magic powers on in the comic: Curing cancer, calming an angry mob, killing a train

Things Danny used his magic powers on in the tv show: lol hand glow

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Hey he healed someone once and he was surprised he did it. Truly the savior of k’un-lun.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Iron Fist ended on a cliffhanger that was more interesting than the full 2 seasons combined and then got cancelled lol.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There were two seasons of Iron Fist?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

There were two seasons of Iron Fist?

Yeah, two seasons, like how you have two hands.

Had a much better final boss compared to the first too.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Like that will always, always be the most baffling choice for me: Why in the name of unholy rear end did they think it was a compelling choice to make their lead character a petulant moron that doesn't even know how their own magic powers work?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mulva posted:

Like that will always, always be the most baffling choice for me: Why in the name of unholy rear end did they think it was a compelling choice to make their lead character a petulant moron that doesn't even know how their own magic powers work?

Because they were ashamed of making it full-on wuxia wire-fu. It was a martial arts show that didnt want to be a martial arts show.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They didn’t have the money or time for that. I don’t think that first season they noticed he was a dumb whiney baby but leaned into for defenders and the second season because what else were they gonna do?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah IF reeked of the people in charge being deeply ashamed of what they were brought on to make and doing their level best to make it more personally palatable to themselves

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
They had plenty of money to make a kung fu movie. Maybe not a full on Wuxia extravaganza, but it's not that pricey to hire people who can do kung fu and then film them pretend fighting.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Scott Buck.jpg

at least when he ruined Dexter it was comedy gold

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Also I have no idea why I was meant to care about a bunch of rich kids complaining that their inherited company was being taken away from them.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I also loved the moment he said he punched a dragon and they never show us he did.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Mr. Prokosch posted:

They had plenty of money to make a kung fu movie. Maybe not a full on Wuxia extravaganza, but it's not that pricey to hire people who can do kung fu and then film them pretend fighting.

You don't hire Scott Buck if you've got plenty of money or time. The only two things he's got going for him is that he delivers on schedule and on budget.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Half serious question: could Scott Buck have done better or worse with the final season (or 2) of Game of Thrones? Honestly I can't decide.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Invalid Validation posted:

I also loved the moment he said he punched a dragon and they never show us he did.

Yeah some flashbacks to his trial(trials?) that he did to become iron fist could have been super cool

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

As Nero Danced posted:

Half serious question: could Scott Buck have done better or worse with the final season (or 2) of Game of Thrones? Honestly I can't decide.

when drogon flies off with dany's body, it turns out she didn't die

and she becomes a lumberjack

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
would literally be a more enjoyable & fulfilling ending

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Scott Buck sucks, we could've had Terry Bogard as Iron Fist instead

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

You don't hire Scott Buck if you've got plenty of money or time. The only two things he's got going for him is that he delivers on schedule and on budget.

You are seriously overestimating how expensive karate guys and stuntmen are. The laughable CG in the show probably cost more than the entire stunt cast of the average 80s action movie.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

You are seriously overestimating how expensive karate guys and stuntmen are. The laughable CG in the show probably cost more than the entire stunt cast of the average 80s action movie.

In terms of fights I would say the limiting factor is for sure time. I know in things like Jackie Chan movies back in the 80's they would spend months on a single fight.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

In terms of fights I would say the limiting factor is for sure time. I know in things like Jackie Chan movies back in the 80's they would spend months on a single fight.

Jackie Chan's whole thing was being a near-Chaplin level perfectionist so that's maybe not the best example, but yeah, time is the big problem when you're shooting fight scenes. And also it's very clear that, at least in season 1, nobody on the show had any experience filming or editing action sequences, because even the scenes where the performers clearly know how to kick and punch properly, it's not filmed in an exciting way and it's edited in a way that makes it hard to follow. Finn Jones may suck but he doesn't suck so bad that stepping aside while a trained martial artist kicks the air next to him should look that lovely and boring.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Everything I've heard about Iron Fist indicates that it was a disaster before Scott Buck came on board. They went through a bunch of showrunners and leads (does anyone remember when Ryan Phillipe was cast?), was briefly being retooled as a film, then went back to TV.

I suspect the thing was ultimately made more out of contractual obligation. Hence Scott Buck.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I mean you can make low-grade fight choreography work. Arrow did it all the time. They got so much mileage out of tense music and waving your bow around to block projectiles.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It is sort of wild to think that a single season of any of the new Disney+ Marvel shows costs roughly the same as the original five shows across sixty episodes deal with Netflix.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://thedisinsider.com/2021/01/10/krysten-ritter-rumored-to-reprise-as-jessica-jones-in-she-hulk/

Rumors that Ritter might be back in she hulk. Near as I can tell disinsider is a reasonable rumor site, so hopefully that's true. Be nice to see more of the Netflix actors coming back in the new series

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SardonicTyrant posted:

I mean you can make low-grade fight choreography work. Arrow did it all the time. They got so much mileage out of tense music and waving your bow around to block projectiles.

Not everyone is Stephen Amell, and especially not Finn Jones, although I generally like Jones and have nothing against him.

Pretend I posted one of the many salmon ladder gifs here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doctor Nutt posted:

Not everyone is Stephen Amell, and especially not Finn Jones, although I generally like Jones and have nothing against him.

Jones has been pretty good this season on Dickinson.