Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

A lot of these negative reviews are stuff that was there in season 1 but they overlooked because ooh, one shot hallway fight.
Are you saying that wasn't the most badass thing ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Elektra being a genre cliche that only exists to have sex with Matt and provide fanservice? Well I never

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

Are you saying that wasn't the most badass thing ever?

No, I'm saying that cool fights don't make Matt being the most boring man on Earth outside of them better.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
It just hit me today that they're releasing this the day after St. Patrick's day. Given the Catholic themes of the show, I wonder if that's on purpose?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Be happy they didn't wait another week for Good Friday.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Goddamnit I have to wait five episodes for Elektra

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So does this start streaming at midnight Pacific Time tonight?

Xealot posted:

Streaming services have killer analytics. They literally know exactly how many users watched their shows. And how many times, at what rate...they can generate heatmaps for the most watched timecode of a given episode if they wanted.

I can only tell myself that to justify in my own mind why Marco Polo got renewed. How the gently caress did *that* happen? I guess it did great somewhere, because literally nobody I know has seen a minute of it.

It's not bad. Marco Polo himself is boring and no one could possibly give a poo poo about him. The rest of the cast, setting, and landscapes/architecture are pretty good though.

It's sort of a similar concept to History Channel's Vikings, except they're spending way more money and focusing the show on one of the most boring characters instead of focusing on the most interesting character with the best actor.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Please remember the Netflix rules for tonight.

Deadpool posted:

:siren: Netflix Rules Update! :siren:

OK, here's what we're going to try as a test. Some people are not happy with the go-wild aspect of the Netflix threads so we're going to try a different approach. If you have general thoughts on the show that's fine. If you are doing specific reactions to episodes they will go into labeled spoiler tags with the episode you are on or have completed for the first 72 hours. If you haven't gotten to that episode then don't click on the spoiler. This is just a trial for Daredevil and if it doesn't work we'll just go back to the old way from now on. And now an example post:

So far the show is good. I enjoy this show so far through episode 10. It is a fine television program.

1x10
The thing that happens in this episode certainly happened. And how it tied back into what they were saying in episode 3 was definitely a cool thing. I think the villain that appeared in this episode and did the villainy thing was bad. He should be punched by the Daredevil and have to go to jail.

The 1x10 is just the episode you're up to. You can write all about episode four if you want, but if you let something slip that came out later and you forget and it maybe happened in episode six that's why you still put episode 10 and not episode four. Get it? Hope it works. And if not sorry!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If it's going up at Pacific Time midnight, should it not be up now? Or when is it going up in GMT?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm currrently working 14 hour days seven days a week. This is the first time I've really regretted this gig. :doh:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

tsob posted:

If it's going up at Pacific Time midnight, should it not be up now? Or when is it going up in GMT?

It's going up at 3 AM Eastern and 8 AM GMT.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

tsob posted:

If it's going up at Pacific Time midnight, should it not be up now?

That's about 11 hours away.

Are you in Asia? It's still Thursday here.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 17, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm in GMT and Google said it was midnight PT.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Friday Midnight PT. ~11 hours.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

zoux posted:

Mmm that passive voice in the second sentence, this guys knows his poo poo.

"played by"? I don't see it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Clocks have changed in US but not UK so should be 7am GMT

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Gyges posted:

It's not bad. Marco Polo himself is boring and no one could possibly give a poo poo about him. The rest of the cast, setting, and landscapes/architecture are pretty good though.

It's sort of a similar concept to History Channel's Vikings, except they're spending way more money and focusing the show on one of the most boring characters instead of focusing on the most interesting character with the best actor.

I saw it, and generally liked it. It was just expensive as hell and nobody I know even tried to watch. (Marco is boring, but it's not even necessarily the actor's fault...he has nothing to do. Kublai Khan and Hundred Eyes are the poo poo, though.)

Streaming media is one thing that makes living in PST worth it. I only have to wait until regular midnight. Not 3am. Not 5am. It makes up for having to go dark for 3 hours whenever an anticipated episode of something airs and I don't want anything ruined.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Ahh yes, time for more unironic uses of "my city"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I just finished my slow rewatch of season one. It's upsetting just how starkly the entire show changes as soon as he gets that stupid red suit. It's not gradual or subtle or anything, it's just, here are some magic two story flips and blatant comic book panel poses all over the place. Based on the previews I don't expect season 2 to be as good as season 1, but I hope it's better than the last 15 minutes of season 1.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That's my biggest concern as well but to be fair it's all in the last half of the last episode. The Kingpin fight was one of the worst things on the show, a bummer of a fight to end on, and was, for whatever reason, choreographed about as bad as a low-budget network procedural fight. It felt like I was watching a different show. I'm hoping that going out of the way to make Daredevil hit comic-book poses in the last episode was just fan service.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
oh poo poo is this happening toNIGHT, not tomorrow in the middle of the day at some point?

loving crazy, I feel like we just had the last season. Marvel's going wild all-in with these series. Far as I'm concerned it's a better investment than the movies anyway, that format's slowly dying while this one's in bloom, and the longer narrative arc available in a full season is just better suited to comic book adaptations anyway.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Xealot posted:

I saw it, and generally liked it. It was just expensive as hell and nobody I know even tried to watch. (Marco is boring, but it's not even necessarily the actor's fault...he has nothing to do. Kublai Khan and Hundred Eyes are the poo poo, though.)

Streaming media is one thing that makes living in PST worth it. I only have to wait until regular midnight. Not 3am. Not 5am. It makes up for having to go dark for 3 hours whenever an anticipated episode of something airs and I don't want anything ruined.

The Hundred Eyes short they released a little bit a go was good. The show could be so much better if instead of Marco Polo it was Kublai Khan who was the main character.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

XboxPants posted:

that format's slowly dying while this one's in bloom

I don't disagree about TV, but each loving superhero movie keeps making more money than the last so I dunno how you can say this

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't disagree about TV, but each loving superhero movie keeps making more money than the last so I dunno how you can say this

True, but:

Movie Theater Attendance Hits 20-Year Low

The revenues are going up, and in particular the superhero movies seem to keep doing better each year, but it kinda seems like people are very gradually going out to movie theaters less and less. It's an exaggeration to say that industry is "dying", sure, but with the massive explosion of popularity of media in the home and mobile spaces it doesn't seem like a good look to me.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

XboxPants posted:

True, but:

Movie Theater Attendance Hits 20-Year Low

The revenues are going up, and in particular the superhero movies seem to keep doing better each year, but it kinda seems like people are very gradually going out to movie theaters less and less. It's an exaggeration to say that industry is "dying", sure, but with the massive explosion of popularity of media in the home and mobile spaces it doesn't seem like a good look to me.

Why not? At the end of the day, studios are about gross profits on a title. Whether people watch the title in a movie theater or at home doesn't really matter.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Why not? At the end of the day, studios are about gross profits on a title. Whether people watch the title in a movie theater or at home doesn't really matter.

Yeah, guess that makes sense. I did just hear about some kind of initiative to release first-run movies directly to viewers homes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That's called "BitTorrent". It's got some traction.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Subjunctive posted:

Yep, in many countries it's completely normalised behaviour (as in, completely non computer people get it and use it) due to delayed release schedules or gouging. Hollywood has a lot of work to do to dig that stuff out of the trench.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
The point that I've seen made is that there are more mega-successful movies, but it's much harder for a movie to be an average success, usually because so many millions are poured into making a movie a mega-blockbuster because that's what people expect these days.

So, overall the film industry is fine, but it's being buoyed in a huge way by films like Jurassic World and The Force Awakens and so on.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My body is ready

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Captain Magic posted:

The point that I've seen made is that there are more mega-successful movies, but it's much harder for a movie to be an average success, usually because so many millions are poured into making a movie a mega-blockbuster because that's what people expect these days.

So, overall the film industry is fine, but it's being buoyed in a huge way by films like Jurassic World and The Force Awakens and so on.

Yeah, it's a hit-based business, like venture capital or Tindr dating.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

To where did they go?

The Dissolve, which has since shuttered, so who knows where they are now.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
And goooo!
An hour until I put the kids to bed though and can binge properly

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

:siren: :siren: :siren: IT'S TIME :siren: :siren: :siren:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Go to hell, everybody

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Go to hell, everybody

I don't know about hell, but I'm now immersing myself in the devils kitchen.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
See, here in Australia, I sit down after getting the kids to bed, and lookie here, Daredevil season 2 is out.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's just gone breakfast time, I've got the whole day to get through this :toot:

E1x01

Every season of every Marvel Netflix show must have a new Black Detective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Maluco Marinero posted:

See, here in Australia, I sit down after getting the kids to bed, and lookie here, Daredevil season 2 is out.

gently caress yeah, 6PM release time.