Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
15 minutes in and holy poo poo Danny's dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Finished the first episode and this doesn't seem like, oppressively bad but it's really not very good at all.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
So far I am okay with this. It isn't the worst thing of all time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm laughing at it more than I'm groaning, is what I'll say.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Gyges posted:

Netflix Marvel: Iron Fist on 3/17/17 "The world isn't ready for a kung fu white man"

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

I'm approaching the end of the first episode. I'll give it this, at least it's not as bad as the first episode of Arrow which has an identical plot. Danny is hipster as gently caress, has that whole pretentious gap year student who thinks he is the coolest vibe. Makes him unsympathetic, but there's potential to flip that later if it shows any sign of self-awareness. If not in this season, then later on at least.

Eh, if it stays at this level, it'll be tolerable.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Hey it's the Nazi from Banshee.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arist posted:

doesn't seem like, oppressively bad

Zythrst posted:

It isn't the worst thing of all time.

I think we have a consensus! I'll give it a crack.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

End of episode 2

gently caress YEAH!

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

BSam posted:

End of episode 2

gently caress YEAH!

Yeah that was pretty rad.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Still liking it, but one thing (episode 2) come on doc you buy he's Danny which means that he survived a plane crash in the Himalayas, but his explanation for it was crazy? I mean some kind of bizzare poo poo thing had to have happened for him to be alive dude.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 17, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol I just got to the part where (episode 3) Danny mansplains martial arts to Colleen, gently caress this show

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Arist posted:

Lol I just got to the part where (episode 3) Danny mansplains martial arts to Colleen, gently caress this show

I saw it more as the swordfight scene from princess bride, and enjoyed it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Two episodes in, and it's pretty fun.

It's got better episodic structures than a lot of Netflix Marvel, that's for certain.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
He wears a hoodie, therefore it's a marvel netflix series.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Watching this show is very frustrating.

Arist posted:

Did you just unironically say mansplaining? hahaa

Qmass fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 17, 2017

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
(episode 1)Is it just me, or do Faramir and his son look like they're maybe 10 years apart, tops?

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

bbf2 posted:

(episode 1)Is it just me, or do Faramir and his son look like they're maybe 10 years apart, tops?

yeah, he's a very old 30 year old

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

bbf2 posted:

It's not just you. David Wenham is 51 and Tom Pelphrey is 34, but they don't look 17 years apart.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

On Episode 4.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

episode 4 that 'danny goes to a business meeting and doesn't want to sell medication for profit' thing was poo poo. i mean i agree with him, but it was a really dumb move

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

Eh, if it stays at this level, it'll be tolerable.

This is my impression after two episodes. Dialogue is terrible but the show is still watchable although if you're expecting all the nuances of Jessica Jones or the other Netflix shows then I think you're going to be pretty disappointed.

I think if this was the first Marvel show Netflix made it'd have a much better impression.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kegslayer posted:

This is my impression after two episodes. Dialogue is terrible but the show is still watchable although if you're expecting all the nuances of Jessica Jones or the other Netflix shows then I think you're going to be pretty disappointed.

I think if this was the first Marvel show Netflix made it'd have a much better impression.

Four episodes in it seems to have settled into an appreciable groove. Nothing great but it's honestly serviceable.

I agree if this was pre-Daredevil this show wouldn't come off so badly, it's just kind of okay.

I've gotten used to Jones but do have to laugh whenever Carrie-Anne Moss shows up and she acts circles around him, and I'm not even sure she's that great an actress.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

episode 4 triads with axes getting beat up in a lift. loving amazing

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

bbf2 posted:

Episode 4: Danny specifically says that Harold hasn't visibly aged since he was ressurected, 14 years ago

Dave Brookshaw fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 17, 2017

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I just hope that Danny stays freakin goofy. He's actually kinda funny in his awkwardness.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

One thing I will say I'm rather enjoying is the glow fist effect, they're not over-using it and when they do pull it out they make the most of it. That dude's hand breaking, wow.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, lol, Episode 5, "I'm something of a heroin connoisseur"

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

The first episode has pretty rough dialogue with all the "Is it Danny? I think it might be Danny. It's crazy to think this is Danny" nonsense, but it settles down by the end of the second episode.

Ten minutes in on the fifth episode and the plot is moving along okay. It's uneven in parts and you just have to accept Danny is dumb for convenient plot reasons, but the show doesn't deserve scathing reviews.

People just mad about White Man Kung Fu.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Heathen posted:

The first episode has pretty rough dialogue with all the "Is it Danny? I think it might be Danny. It's crazy to think this is Danny" nonsense, but it settles down by the end of the second episode.

Ten minutes in on the fifth episode and the plot is moving along okay. It's uneven in parts and you just have to accept Danny is dumb for convenient plot reasons, but the show doesn't deserve scathing reviews.

People just mad about White Man Kung Fu.

Yeah, I could not have cared less about any of the "is it Danny" poo poo, but now that we're out of that even the business stuff, which I was dreading, seems fine.

To be fair, though, some of the White Man Kung Fu poo poo is real egregious.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Arist posted:

Yeah, I could not have cared less about any of the "is it Danny" poo poo, but now that we're out of that even the business stuff, which I was dreading, seems fine.

To be fair, though, some of the White Man Kung Fu poo poo is real egregious.

Egregious how? Kid sees his parents die in a horrible accident and deals with his trauma by concentrating on Martial Arts. Substitute Martial Arts with Stopping Crime and you get Batman.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So Iron Fist good now?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Heathen posted:

Egregious how? Kid sees his parents die in a horrible accident and deals with his trauma by concentrating on Martial Arts. Substitute Martial Arts with Stopping Crime and you get Batman.

Having Danny show up and give Colleen, the head of a dojo, advice on how to be better at martial arts is pretty bad. Also the further I get into this the more I feel Danny should definitely be Asian especially if they're setting up a relationship between him and Colleen like they seem to be. White dude/Asian chick romances in fiction already have a tendency to get a bit weird, add in the "I'm better than you at your culture" poo poo and it's just nuts.

Honestly kind of liking the show at this point, though.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Iron Crowned posted:

So Iron Fist good now?

Iron Fist not awful. Whether it is good or not still needs to be seen.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CommaToes posted:

Iron Fist not awful. Whether it is good or not still needs to be seen.

Well, that's good to know, because I'm out of things to watch before BoJack happens again

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
Honestly? I'm five episodes in, and it's fine. Not as grim as Daredevil, not as fraught as Jessica Jones, doesn't have the sense of place of Luke Cage. Danny's a lighter character.

I'm kinda looking forward to him interacting with Luke now. Luke and Danny are my favourite double-act from the comics.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Arist posted:

Having Danny show up and give Colleen, the head of a dojo, advice on how to be better at martial arts is pretty bad.

Ah, yes, the esteemed head of a dojo versus some random white guy off the street. Training for fifteen years cannot possibly compare to the arduous task of being born Asian. This continues to be the dumbest (i.e. most racist) complaint.

Arist posted:

Also the further I get into this the more I feel Danny should definitely be Asian especially if they're setting up a relationship between him and Colleen like they seem to be.

So Danny should be Asian because you don't like the idea of interracial couples? Holy poo poo.

Iron Fist is not awful. The first episode is kinda bad. The second episode is less bad. Episodes Three to Six so far is fine.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Episode 5 How is Madam Gao in charge of the Hand now? Wasn't it a separate thing with Nobu being in charge

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Heathen posted:

Ah, yes, the esteemed head of a dojo versus some random white guy off the street. Training for fifteen years cannot possibly compare to the arduous task of being born Asian. This continues to be the dumbest (i.e. most racist) complaint.

So Danny should be Asian because you don't like the idea of interracial couples? Holy poo poo.

Iron Fist is not awful. The first episode is kinda bad. The second episode is less bad. Episodes Three to Six so far is fine.

That's not what I said at all, dude, you're choosing to interpret it in extremely strange ways, and the way you chose to edit it makes me think you know that. I just don't think this show is written well enough to overcome the weird exoticism and wish-fulfillment often seen in depictions of these types of relationships. Him being Asian would make it less weird only because their dynamic is really really strange and founded a bunch of weird poo poo that needs to be unpacked. The race change would just remove one of those elements. I could be wrong about how they handle it, they could do it great, but the show hasn't earned that level of trust from me.

And while the circumstances of him teaching her to be better at martial arts may make sense, it's still a weird scene. It's weird because he's better at something associated with her heritage and current occupation than her and it's weird because it's a man teaching a woman how to do her job.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anyway this show is dumb but I'm enjoying it.

e: episode 6 "more YouTube views than that incredible green guy" goddammit Loeb

Arist fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Episode 6 I hate that Claire doesn't bring up daredevil considering all Matt did in Season 2 was fight the hand. Also "Incredible Green Guy". Netflix come on.