Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Firstborn posted:

It's kind of interesting that the Defenders is usually Dr. Strange's thing. And I kind of wish AOS didn't do Ghost Rider. He'd be cool to see on a Netflix show, even if he isn't grounded at all. Just love GR.

Dr. Strange and Ghost Rider loving around with magic ninjas seems more interesting and tonally consistent so I'd be into that. Cage and JJ fighting them feels forced somehow. I never really liked most of the Ninja in the DD comics and I didn't like it in DDs2 either but the Fisk and Castle parts were awesome.

Wasn't Defenders always just "team of b-list Marvel superheroes" so a writer could pretty much do whatever they felt like with them? Some of their line ups were loving bizarre as I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I think the finale would have been better if each hero had their own fight,when you have one hero who's not a good fighter (iron fist) one guy who's a tank,one who's a super ninja with enhanced senses and one punchy lady against an old lady (who can only do a bit before the stunt double comes in) and two other guys(and later on add in ten extra guys) it turns into a clusterfuck.

The end felt rushed just like all the endings have up to now (only Daredevil season 1 had a clean ending that felt right).

I really liked the ending for Defenders since each of the characters managed to grow a bit and it sets things up nicely for their next next individual seasons.

Although going by that interview the show runners will basically get no instruction on whats happening with the other shows again and the second season of Defenders will be a bigger clusterfuck in terms of the plot.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

BiggerBoat posted:

Dr. Strange and Ghost Rider loving around with magic ninjas seems more interesting and tonally consistent so I'd be into that. Cage and JJ fighting them feels forced somehow. I never really liked most of the Ninja in the DD comics and I didn't like it in DDs2 either but the Fisk and Castle parts were awesome.

Wasn't Defenders always just "team of b-list Marvel superheroes" so a writer could pretty much do whatever they felt like with them? Some of their line ups were loving bizarre as I recall.

The joke is that the roster consisted of: 1 hero that doesn't have a current running series, 1 hero that is being pushed by Marvel, 1 hero that is a personal favorite of whoever is doing the book, and 1 hero added on a dare.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

The Avengers is "team of b-list Marvel superheroes". You need to go lower for the Defenders.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Kegslayer posted:

I really liked the ending for Defenders since each of the characters managed to grow a bit and it sets things up nicely for their next next individual seasons.

Although going by that interview the show runners will basically get no instruction on whats happening with the other shows again and the second season of Defenders will be a bigger clusterfuck in terms of the plot.
I agree that with what you say,they did seem to grow and I liked the team by the end,why don't the showrunners communicate? laziness? legal stuff? sounds weird as poo poo.

Also on another unrelated note : It was weird at the end cause when Jessica first stepped out of the elevator and was monolguing the ensuing fight was full of fluffed punches and was really unconvincing.

Then when it got to the part of the fight where the hip hop music came in it was great and the choreography seemed alot better.It was like two different tv shows lol.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Official Punisher trailer.

It's the one from the end of Defenders, but doesn't spoil anything about Defenders if you haven't seen it yet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Firstborn posted:

The joke is that the roster consisted of: 1 hero that doesn't have a current running series, 1 hero that is being pushed by Marvel, 1 hero that is a personal favorite of whoever is doing the book, and 1 hero added on a dare.

Interestingly, there's a current Defenders comic featuring the line-up from the show, and all of them have comics right now. (And are all personal favourites of the person doing the book)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Joke's on you, next season DD's going to be fighting Mayans and JJ'll be fighting ghosts and banshees.

I wish Iron Fist was better. I can kinda get behind the idea of an Iron Fist who isn't already the best but if the surrounding show had been firing on all cylinders while Danny displays far less skill for someone who trained with monks for a decade and half than someone who picked up magic from scratch and spent almost a forth as much time learning that stuff. :v:

Still hope that we eventually see them either A) have fun with the Iron Fist or B) let it do cool things besides hit real hard.

http://i.imgur.com/U88Ue4g.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/saZ38PA.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/bups8KS.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/xLwgsU6.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/aYaWi4c.mp4

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The only one Danny should get is grovel.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I've been rewatching Into the Badlands and it's a shame that Iron Fist can't get that level of choreography and style.

The final fight scenes would have been pretty cool if Danny and the Hand could straight out do crazy impossible ninja poo poo with wires and the like. You'd have JJ and LC standing there in complete disbelief only for JJ to throw a brick or something. There seems to be so much potential to turn the show around.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I agree that with what you say,they did seem to grow and I liked the team by the end,why don't the showrunners communicate? laziness? legal stuff? sounds weird as poo poo.

Also on another unrelated note : It was weird at the end cause when Jessica first stepped out of the elevator and was monolguing the ensuing fight was full of fluffed punches and was really unconvincing.

Then when it got to the part of the fight where the hip hop music came in it was great and the choreography seemed alot better.It was like two different tv shows lol.

I don't know much about the way that Marvel is set up by just from the EW Interview, it just seems like the gently caress ups come from Marvel TV side. I got the impression that the showrunners don't actually have that much control over what they want to do with parts of the story nor are they given any long term direction by the guys running the entire TV division.

They're just trying to churn this stuff out as quick as possible.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

The only one Danny should get is grovel.

Oh yeah, for sure. That stuff ^ is like two and a half years in the future, since they can't just make him good in half a year.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Gaz-L posted:

Interestingly, there's a current Defenders comic featuring the line-up from the show, and all of them have comics right now. (And are all personal favourites of the person doing the book)

Yeah, I don't that that still holds true. Especially when doing stuff directly based on the MCU.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Kegslayer posted:

I've been rewatching Into the Badlands and it's a shame that Iron Fist can't get that level of choreography and style.

The final fight scenes would have been pretty cool if Danny and the Hand could straight out do crazy impossible ninja poo poo with wires and the like. You'd have JJ and LC standing there in complete disbelief only for JJ to throw a brick or something. There seems to be so much potential to turn the show around.

I don't know much about the way that Marvel is set up by just from the EW Interview, it just seems like the gently caress ups come from Marvel TV side. I got the impression that the showrunners don't actually have that much control over what they want to do with parts of the story nor are they given any long term direction by the guys running the entire TV division.

They're just trying to churn this stuff out as quick as possible.

At the very least, I'm fairly certain that at least some of the key storytelling decisions, like tying The Hand to K'un-Lun (a connection that exists nowhere in the comics), or keeping the onscreen supernatural elements in IF to an absolute minimum, were made by Marvel Television rather than Scott Buck.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Maybe we should update the thread title now?

Netflix Marvel: We're Not So Different, You And I, We're The Same You And I

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Seedge posted:

Maybe we should update the thread title now?

Netflix Marvel: We're Not So Different, You And I, We're The Same You And I

We're Not So Different, You And I. We're not the same. I know.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Netflix Marvel: You are the Dumbest Iron Fist Yet

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

Netflix Marvel: You are the Dumbest Iron Fist Yet

Yeah, come on, do this!

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
My biggest gripe is the whole Elektra subplot. My god was it bad. Literally cartoons have done the "brought back from evil dead" plot better. I think my biggest issue amongst many is that they never show or tell in a real way why she's special other than a variable level of "better kung fu". They should've gone over the top if they were going to make her the final boss ninja. Make her breath fire or ninja teleport or something.

Also it didn't help how mediocre the combined Hand was. I just kept thinking back to Legend of Korra season 3 where Henry Rollins leads an anarchist cell of Handesque martial artists, and even discounting the excellent fight scenes, each of those characters had far better character arcs and motivations than the Hand, which had multiple seasons to develop.

Edit: What I'm saying is everyone should watch Legend of Korra season 3 if you want to see 5 kung fu criminals that are compelling and dangerous.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 22, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The second Matrix and Ip Man movies did hordes way better.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

The second Matrix and Ip Man movies did hordes way better.

I agree with the latter. The bully brawl or whatever in matrix 2 was garbage

EvilJay
Jul 25, 2005
I've watched the last episode 5 times so far. I keep getting distracted and reading work email at like 35 mins in. I just really can't be bothered to give a poo poo. I LIKE all the characters other than Danny too, the series just really bored the poo poo out of me overall.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's becoming apparent that team-up movies/tv series just don't work well. I haven't watched any CW stuff, though, so I have no idea about that side of things but at best they're just kinda funny-but-boring.

They really should have kept Steven DeKnight on or brought him back somehow after DD season 1.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The only worthwhile thing to come out of this season is the picture of Charlie Cox being taught how to knit:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I actually would like a Jessica and Matt combo show, with no Hand.

It starts with Karen getting evidence that Matt's alive somewhere and hiring Jessica to find him. Your ball, Marvel.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 23, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Party Plane Jones posted:

The only worthwhile thing to come out of this season is the picture of Charlie Cox being taught how to knit:

:kimchi: It's wonderful to see coworkers becoming friends

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I keep getting stuck on how this team has diversity but all the fights are becoming homogenous and honestly they needed fewer, larger fights.

Like, everyone who tuned in to the Defenders wanted the Run the Jewels fight from Ep 3. and nothing in the show has come anywhere near that level of potential. Matt lawyering, Jessica snooping, Luke checking in on people and Danny goofing off, these are fine, but when they get together is just kind of coagulates into lameness.

The series is written by 3-4 people and I feel like Ep 3 was head and shoulders above the rest, but the same pair also wrote episode 7, which I put as maybe the worst, so I don't even know.

An above poster spelled it out, everyone is just doing Kung Fu and Jessica/Luke's strength seems utterly worthless against the hand because they are all just super tough or whatever.

A big gripe is that DD in S1 was way more of a boxer/brawler. He's just loving dudes up and he's is really especially not fancy about it. S2 did an ok job meshing it with his ninja moves, but now I feel like everyone is just doing the same Kun-Lun shuffle with perfect blocks and nobody sticks out or matters and Danny seems so utterly redundant and worthless and whiny and there is just no way to write a whiny character likeable.

Like, Matt offhandedly knowing which dumplings are which is great writing, Jessica calling Matt an rear end in a top hat for doing parkour and wearing a mask as she just takes and elevator is great writing. Danny just bringing up the hand and Kun Lun and his own destiny constantly is just really weird all the time.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 23, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I now want a scene in JJ season 2 of Trish trying to get her to use knitting as a way to stop drinking and Jessica knits her own gloves.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Finally finished ep 8 and just lmao at the chodes in this thread who didn't like the "hip hop" during the last fight. Just lmao. Get an education god drat.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Lycus posted:

We're Not So Different, You And I. We're not the same. I know.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

DrNutt posted:

Finally finished ep 8 and just lmao at the chodes in this thread who didn't like the "hip hop" during the last fight. Just lmao. Get an education god drat.

Who the gently caress would possibly object to using a Wu-Tang song that name checks Spider-Man? That was the best needledrop in the whole show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Now he can knit his "I'm not Daredevil" sweater

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

howe_sam posted:

Who the gently caress would possibly object to using a Wu-Tang song that name checks Spider-Man? That was the best needledrop in the whole show.

Someone was complaining about the characters being associated with the primary colour of their comic costumes like wearing a green sweater is a great insult to the viewer.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Bust Rodd posted:

I keep getting stuck on how this team has diversity but all the fights are becoming homogenous and honestly they needed fewer, larger fights.

Like, everyone who tuned in to the Defenders wanted the Run the Jewels fight from Ep 3. and nothing in the show has come anywhere near that level of potential. Matt lawyering, Jessica snooping, Luke checking in on people and Danny goofing off, these are fine, but when they get together is just kind of coagulates into lameness.

The series is written by 3-4 people and I feel like Ep 3 was head and shoulders above the rest, but the same pair also wrote episode 7, which I put as maybe the worst, so I don't even know.

An above poster spelled it out, everyone is just doing Kung Fu and Jessica/Luke's strength seems utterly worthless against the hand because they are all just super tough or whatever.

A big gripe is that DD in S1 was way more of a boxer/brawler. He's just loving dudes up and he's is really especially not fancy about it. S2 did an ok job meshing it with his ninja moves, but now I feel like everyone is just doing the same Kun-Lun shuffle with perfect blocks and nobody sticks out or matters and Danny seems so utterly redundant and worthless and whiny and there is just no way to write a whiny character likeable.

Like, Matt offhandedly knowing which dumplings are which is great writing, Jessica calling Matt an rear end in a top hat for doing parkour and wearing a mask as she just takes and elevator is great writing. Danny just bringing up the hand and Kun Lun and his own destiny constantly is just really weird all the time.

This. All of this.

Also, the slightly low volume reverberating Wu-Tang track getting over shadowed by foot shuffling and kung fu grunts made me sad. :smith:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

howe_sam posted:

I still liked Run the Jewels and the associated fight scene a little better, but yeah, my mind was blown when I got to that scene. "Someone objected to this???"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Netflix Marvel: Defenders "The Iron Fist is still a thundering dumbass"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The hip-hop was good but it was bizarre because it's not used in the previous four or five episodes in any great amount, and then it fades out and is not used in the rest of the episode, even though fight scenes continue. There's not a real explanation why that specific part of one fight scene was punctuated by killer mike.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 23, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

I agree with the latter. The bully brawl or whatever in matrix 2 was garbage

Bad fight or no, I still got an actual impression that the Smiths were dangerous in a swarm as compared to the dozen Hand we see at a time.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Bust Rodd posted:

I agree with all of this and would like to add that it's super annoying watched Matt's friends treat him like a drug addict for trying to save the city.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Excluding temporary characters, DD has the worst supporting cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Lycus posted:

Excluding temporary characters, DD has the worst supporting cast.

Except for Kingpin, this is true. gently caress Karen and Foggy. DD is elevated above mediocrity by the great fights.

If the fights were of the same quality, Iron Fist would be better than Daredevil.