Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's just a bad OP because Esco got tired of people enjoying the show in Couch Chat. I can change the title/etc after work. Most posters in the thread enjoy the show.

e: but also yah we can prob do with a new thread soon anyway, since S2 is confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Just finished JJ s3, christ what a pile of poo poo.

Yet another netflix marvel season driven into the ground by having no good villain in it. Doughboy was lame as gently caress and never felt threatening, everyone acted like complete idiots, and they fully put a bullet through Trish's metaphorical head.

Thats really my biggest gripe. One of the great parts of season 1 for me was the relationship between Jess and Trish, two damaged people, dealing with trauma that had each other's backs completely. Then season 2 gave Trish a relapsing addict story which, yeah thats all good for a story whatever, but then progressively just made her more and more petty and jealous and just lovely right up to the point where she splatters Jessica's mom's brains all over Jess. Christ theres no real coming back from that, but then season 3 attempts... somehow... but then continues to throw the character of Trish through the loving garbage compactor. Ooo weeee shes crazy killer and "the real villain" who must be brought down by the end (never mind serial killer dude deserved it).

gently caress, I didn't even finish season 3 actually, i got about 10 minutes into ep 13 and just stopped. I didn't need to see the rest of gritty marvel dumb poo poo tear everyone apart and leave everyone alone just because its "dramatic". No room in drama for any real human connections, except as something to be destroyed!

R.I.P. Marvel Netflix, you started so strong, and turned into the wettest of farts.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
It's really weird that superhero shows keep doing the 'you must never kill anyone for any reason' thing and then putting people it would be an objective good to kill under almost any moral philosophy in the show. Usually they also have a bunch of mooks obviously get killed by a side character in a scene and no one seems to give a poo poo because they're not the protagonist I guess.

Like Daredevil spends the entirety of season 3 doing this and claiming killing anyone rots your soul but then has Nadeem effortlessly gun down a bunch of dudes in one scene and no one ever brings it up ever

Catfishenfuego fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 24, 2019

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
It works better in Daredevil specifically as the foundation of the character is the Cathplic guilt lawyer who is a violent vigilante. With that said the show should've ended with Kingpin dead.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Lid posted:

No I mean Wilson Fisk. He had been set up to have a death wish as the woman he loved wasn't the woman he remembered and after spending everything to get her back it was clearly not what he wanted. Plus it would've let Vanessa Fisk take a frontal role while getting rid if Wilson looking large over the cast and the universe - the season made him essentially omniscient and omnipresent which means he needs to be gone or he will always be there.

Lid posted:

Having lied on it I don't like the season ending as well it doesn't make sense without additional head canon context that isn't in the show itself.

The big one is Kingpin in his fight he gives up and wants to die and is pushing Matt to do it. but why? he's not a Joker character trying to corrupt an understudy, their relationship is entirely different. My assumption is that he wanted to die us because the Vanessa who came back isn't the one he remembered - between the awkwardness and the unease and the cage his love fantasy wasn't the same and as he built his identity in this love that she had changed had crushed him. But this is not in any way displayed in the finale, right down to Matt somehow winning by threatening Vanessa again... it reads like a rewrite and makes the motivations and the things leading up to be... I just don't get it.

And then there's Matt what was his plan? To beat Fisk in a fistfight after sending an assassin after him who he also has to fight? Of he wanted Fisk dead the Machiavellian indea of unleashing Bullseye on him to wash his hands of it made sense but again it feels like a rewrite to save Fisk and SAVE Vanessa. if his plan was to kill Fisk having Fisk want to die is either my head canon above or again correctly manipulating Matt to not kill him which again means Fisk ultimately won. None of it works out and instead you're watching a fight where Matt spends the fight trying to save the people he wants dead and it's explicit that was his plan all along. What?

Then there's Vanessa who is in love with Wilson's violence but is far too different and wild to be contained. My guess is the plan was for Wilson to die this season and have Vanessa replace him with a vendetta, Fisk dying in purpose because Vanessa was no longer the woman he was in love with but he still loved the idea of her and the loathing was too much. But because it's clear Vincent D'Onofrio is that good they chickened out, and the second plan was for Vanessa to die (if you watch the final fight Wilson pushes her up the stairs and tells her to run and well she then spends the rest of the scene standing there... it's really loving weird) but again she's good so they dropped that too (Vanessa dying also thematically makes sense if it's Bullseye as it would like up with Born Again/Guardian Devil inspiration). Either way Vanessa living with Wilson alive seems to be juat to service their excuse to keep Fisk alive.

And finally Bullseye ... he's fine. Everything he did made sense and had motivation. He came out of it actually feeling like a complete story arch where the changes were to other characters not him so he got to be the same actions and never act out of character.

My rants.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
I was one of the few people (apparently) who enjoyed JJS2, and I think S3 was a real step down. The pacing was just atrocious. The whole sculpture-theft McGuffin didn't need to be three episodes. Far too much time was spent on Hogarth and her soap-opera-level machinations. When Hogarth finally intersected with the main cast it definitely did not pay off, at all; like they hint that JJ will end up killing Hogarth, but nothing comes of it. Everything involving Erik's sister was dumb, and Malcolm was largely useless this whole season.

The show really ground to a halt after Trish maims Sallinger, and introduces a bunch of new characters to kill/assault in the last 3 episodes. Why? Just make Hogarth the last target or something, instead of just teasing it. Everything wraps up way too fast in the last episode, without seeing Jessica absorb the consequences of what she's done, or really give enough closure to the show as a whole. The last scene seems like a lovely first storyboard or something.

Things I did like: the focus on Jessica actually doing detective work. Her character is really at its worst when she is written as another punchyman. Erik was an interesting, conflicted character and I liked the way that Trish manipulated him. Trish's turn was also well done; I liked that Sallinger didn't end up as a Joker-type figure turning Harvey Dent, but rather causing it by accident.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I just don't get why Trish needed a heel turn in the first place. It felt lovely to everyone involved, and like some lazy rear end "wooooaaahhh bad guy is good guy best friend! the drama, the choices that will have to be made!" storytelling.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nothing Hogarth did in this season was interesting and the only impact she had on the main plot was to drag out something that was already way too long in the tooth.

Catfishenfuego posted:

It's really weird that superhero shows keep doing the 'you must never kill anyone for any reason' thing and then putting people it would be an objective good to kill under almost any moral philosophy in the show. Usually they also have a bunch of mooks obviously get killed by a side character in a scene and no one seems to give a poo poo because they're not the protagonist I guess.

I mean in Foolkiller's case he was definitely going to jail for life and Hellcat had to break into jail to kick his brains out, so that's really just a hosed up psycho move. Even Punisher would be like "That seems unnecessary".

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 24, 2019

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mike N Eich posted:

I'm trying to watch JJ S3 but I hate Trish and the second episode is an entire episode devoted to her and I really, I'm struggling ya'll

I feel your pain

I guess it makes some kind of weird sense for the Netflix Marvel universe to start with the single best season in Daredevil 1 and end with this dumpster fire.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I feel your pain

I guess it makes some kind of weird sense for the Netflix Marvel universe to start with the single best season in Daredevil 1 and end with this dumpster fire.

As bad as this is, Defenders was absolutely worse.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I mean in Foolkiller's case he was definitely going to jail for life and Hellcat had to break into jail to kick his brains out, so that's really just a hosed up psycho move. Even Punisher would be like "That seems unnecessary".

Are you kidding? Punisher killed a guy, then hit up the funeral to kill people associated with him. He's crazy enough to get eaten by a whale just to infiltrate the yakuza if need be.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lurdiak posted:

Nothing Hogarth did in this season was interesting and the only impact she had on the main plot was to drag out something that was already way too long in the tooth.

Nothing Hogarth did the entire run was interesting

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

Nothing Hogarth did the entire run was interesting

getting hosed over by the faith healer nonsense and causing that dudes murder while she sat and watched were interesting

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Lurdiak posted:

As bad as this is, Defenders was absolutely worse.

Not really.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I put on the first episode of the defenders the other day and was surprised at how good it was. It's very efficient at catching you up with the characters and you don't yet know what a let down the actual threat to the city is going to be.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

howe_sam posted:

I put on the first episode of the defenders the other day and was surprised at how good it was. It's very efficient at catching you up with the characters and you don't yet know what a let down the actual threat to the city is going to be.

Meanwhile, on the other hand, I queued up the trailer for Iron Fist 2 and it looked interesting. Probably super disappointing and most of his fighting looked at all like martial arts though.

Shame they keep these things so separated from the movies though because it'd be fun to have people talking about him going into crime hives and beating everyone up while T'Challa's opening up good schools and medical facilities around Oakland and slowly spreading his influence across the country by his sudden show of good will and resources

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They made a show about a detective who never does any detective stuff.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

LividLiquid posted:

They made a show about a detective who never does any detective stuff.

At least we have Veronica Mars Season 4 coming out next month.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ubiquitous_ posted:

At least we have Veronica Mars Season 4 coming out next month.
Is Kristin Ritter coming back as Gia?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

LividLiquid posted:

Is Kristin Ritter coming back as Gia?

She died in the movie.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

esperterra posted:

She died in the movie.
Good lord that movie was forgettable.

I rewatched the whole series, movie included, two months ago and I can barely remember the movie except how disappointed I was in Wallace for sticking around Neptune to be a loving gym teacher.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This was one of the worst seasons of television I've ever watched. It's as if everyone is lightly concussed all the time. The dialogue is truly wretched, and the plot is worse. Salinger is an awful, boilerplate "calculating serial killer" villain who manages to stick around for the whole season because the protagonists are constantly tripping over their own feet, rather than because he's convincingly written as an intelligent person.

Trish's arc is a total nonsense. She starts out just meaning to rough people up - then kills two of them by accident, and finds out that she likes it! Then she continues to kill people and attempts to kill Jessica. The sequence of events completely falls apart if you look at it too closely, and it's an obvious retread of S2's (already stupid) "Jessica's beloved family member is a murderous vigilante" plot. And, of course, it's kicked off by the show goofily offing Trish's mom, the laziest motivation for "character becomes a gritty anti-hero" in the genre.

Egregiously stupid things just happen constantly. That one scene where a car alarm across the street empties out an entire police precinct so Jessica can walk behind the desk and steal records? Or the fact that Salinger's master strategy for getting away with his killings is, "kill people while wearing gloves and call the cops when people come to my home and intimidate me", and that's apparently too much of a puzzler for Jessica to solve until the penultimate episode. She spends most of the season being foiled by the fact that the dude doesn't confess when shoved up against a wall - barring the run of episodes where she destroys the evidence she has on him to protect Trish.

Honestly, funny and a bit sad to watch. It's a stratospheric fall from S1, and it's difficult to comprehend how such a stark difference in quality came about.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Lid posted:

It works better in Daredevil specifically as the foundation of the character is the Cathplic guilt lawyer who is a violent vigilante. With that said the show should've ended with Kingpin dead.

That would have worked if his plan in the final ep of season 3 wasn't Let dozens of people get murdered by bullseye and then make life harder for himself by aggressively protecting the only person in the plan deserving of death for no real reason, thus invalidating the entire earlier part of the plan.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Catfishenfuego posted:

That would have worked if his plan in the final ep of season 3 wasn't Let dozens of people get murdered by bullseye and then make life harder for himself by aggressively protecting the only person in the plan deserving of death for no real reason, thus invalidating the entire earlier part of the plan.

Well he changed his mind about the plan halfway through, and teeeeechnically no one died but that was complete and utter luck.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

How mediocre is Iron Fist season 2? This whole time I thought it got scrapped and never finished but it turns out it just got as much marketing as Stardew Valley. (Literally none until people gave it a shot on a whim because Chucklefish is a garbage company)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's a lot better than season 1 in every way, although the villains' motivations are basically gobbledygook. Ward Meachum still owns.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

It's a lot better than season 1 in every way, although the villains' motivations are basically gobbledygook. Ward Meachum still owns.

I realize now that I don't remember much of the first season, because Dad Meachum is just Gary Busey every time I try to remember.

And I guess they couldn't shake some aspects of Defenders then, if the villains are still weird and 'who cares' the entire time.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Iron Fist season 2 is among the top 5 best seasons of marvel Netflix, not that that is saying a lot.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oasx posted:

Iron Fist season 2 is among the top 5 best seasons of marvel Netflix, not that that is saying a lot.

I guess I should watch it from the beginning instead of skipping to the middle to see if things are bad or not then.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

I realize now that I don't remember much of the first season, because Dad Meachum is just Gary Busey every time I try to remember.

And I guess they couldn't shake some aspects of Defenders then, if the villains are still weird and 'who cares' the entire time.

I mean they're definitely more pro-active and interesting than Sigourney Weaver sitting around in her stupid boardroom. I just don't really understand why they're evil.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The guy who plays Davos kind of has the same problem as the villain of JJ S3 in that he doesn't have enough gravitas or acting ability to pull it off at all, which is the biggest problem with IF S2 imo.

It's a totally alright season, though, Misty Knight is the best supporting character across all the Netflix shows.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

The guy who plays Davos kind of has the same problem as the villain of JJ S3 in that he doesn't have enough gravitas or acting ability to pull it off at all, which is the biggest problem with IF S2 imo.

I thought he did a fine job with the material given. It's just that the material was "Grrrr I'm really mad about something".

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Lurdiak posted:

Accurate. Though even if Ward’s a good character, goddamn the Meachum storyline pulls the air out of the room. It’s fine and well-acted, but what are these addiction and boardroom inheritance plots doing in this exploitation kung fu fantasy story?

Colleen and Misty were cool, though. The show tries its damnedest to make Danny and the K’un Lun plot cool, too, but...not so much. So, S2 is better, but the show’s foundation being rotten is pretty insurmountable.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Hakkesshu posted:

It's a totally alright season, though, Misty Knight is the best supporting character across all the Netflix shows.

Misty was literally the worst depiction of a cop on TV and sucked at her job.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Including the police as a major component of a TV show is almost always a mistake.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Misty was literally the worst depiction of a cop on TV and sucked at her job.

She's not even close to being the suckiest cop in Marvel Netflix and also the actress is terrific.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah the only real complaint I have with Misty is that she has an obvious character arc of realizing the police don't help and becoming a vigilante but for some reason she keeps going back to being a cop anyway after someone tells her cops are good, actually(despite the monumental pile of evidence across all of the Netflix shows that they're not).

It smells a lot like script meddling.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Daredevil season 1 is great but it contains the seeds of what makes the later seasons of the Netflix Marvel series get really bad. It fridges characters furiously basically, every character that is introduced that isn't a a primary character is murdered either in the same episode or a couple episodes later to artificially produce pathos. As said above, there's some logic to Daredevil struggling with outright killing someone, but then, there are literally dozens of people who die throughout the season while Daredevil waffles. Thats fine, like, for one season, its not great for like a half dozen.

And, like every Marvel Netflix series, its about 5 episodes too long.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Finished JJ Season 3; I liked it. Felt like character consistency was much better and it gave us the only logical outcome from Trish's actions last season. You could tell when the writing started to sag the last couple episodes but it still ended strong IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Catfishenfuego posted:

Daredevil's entire plan in the last episode makes literally nosense and i am convinced that it was meant to end with either Kingpin or Ms Kingpin dead and rewrites made the whole thing an incomprehensible mess. Like what does Devil think prison can hold Fisk again? He's Fisk.