Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Another really positive review, this one from io9:

http://io9.com/spoiler-free-review-marvel-s-new-daredevil-series-is-b-1695319269

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Hell yeah, really hoping for the best.

Give DeKnight Daredevil season 2, combine the other shows into Heroes for hire, then give DeKnight a co-showrunner on Punisher and maybe add Moon Knight or Cloak and Dagger and that would be a killer "season 2" for the Netflix shows.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

Grain of salt: Devin Faraci says he's "hearing very bad buzz on Daredevil." Granted, he's been pretty negative on the show and the rest of the Defenders project for a while, so we'll have to wait until the reviews hit (later this week, I think) to see how much of this is confirmation bias and how much is an accurate summary of critical opinion.

Hahah:

https://twitter.com/devincf/status/585630283883479040

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

1x07 So any guesses who/what the Black Sky kid was that Stick killed?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

1x13 Was also sad Ben died, but one thing I liked about some of the show deaths, and Ben's in particular, was that they usually played out logically from the events which were transpiring. Meaning if Kingpin actually did find out about his mother being visited, he wouldn't let that stand. Also liked how the lack of character information lead to the characters drawing the wrong conclusions about what was going on.

Really hoping for a Daredevil/Murdock episode in Jessica Jones to help building up their eventually joining up.

Also have to throw out props for Bob Gunton, he brought a lot of solid, sarcastic charm. Kept expecting him to complain about the masked man up and disappearing like a fart in the wind.

Teek fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 11, 2015

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

First look at David Tennant as the Purple Man from Jessica Jones filming:

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2015/04/first-look-at-david-tennant-as-the-purple-man-in-marvels-a-k-a-jessica-jones.html

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Law school if you go full time is 3 years. They were also going to be offered the job at the firm so that could have been during their last semester of law school.

Yeah, the time works if you assume Matt and Foggy moved in together during their last year of undergrad. I'm not sure what school they went to, but some have on campus housing beyond freshman year. With their boasting of graduating with honors, it might have been some sort of honors dorm.

Graduated undergrad in 2011, graduated from law school and pass the bar in 2014. Intern for a year during this time and start their business in late 2014, early 2015.

The question might be how long time actually spans within the series itself. They filmed in summer to fall of last year, and you see that change within the series itself, as the funeral scene at the end is visibly cold. Does it span late 2014? Or does it actually run throughout 2015?

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 14, 2015

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

New post-release 25 minute video interview with DeKnight about season 1:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04...1c9657c0b000055

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Season 2 has now begun filming:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/matt-foggy-hit-the-street-in-first-daredevil-season-2-set-pics

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Elektra's been cast:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/07/gi-joes-elodie-yung-cast-as-elektra-in-daredevil-season-2

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

New costume for season 2:

https://twitter.com/RuhailAli/status/634171288123244545/photo/1

Official Twitter account teased a look. Someone else posted another look at a fitting, which per this tweet, was from season 1

https://twitter.com/spmaslansky/status/634434137005424640

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

The thing is, comparing the teaser to that costume fitting shot, they look practically identical. Maybe the costume designer made some small tweaks to it between seasons.

If that really is from season one, I wonder why they went with the other costume instead.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/Daredevil/status/634168013344739329

It does look similar to the costume from last season, the biggest change appears to be some coloring tweaks and some seam differences in the helmet area.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Quite a few bits of casting for Luke Cage today:

Claire Temple Returns and Shades
Misty Knight
Cottonmouth

Teek fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 3, 2015

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Enjoyed the series. Really happy with the tween star Patsy Walker thing. Nice nod the comics. Hopefully she'll get a formal nod into the Defenders as Hellcat by the time it gets filmed. Would be awesome if Netflix did a "horror" Marvel project ala Defenders, with Ghost Rider, Blade, Moonknight and Hellcat/Son of Satan.

Only real nitpicks were random cop being a super-soldier and the neighbor and support group attacking Jessica, which seemed to happen simply because they needed Kilgrave freed again.

The Nuke thing I can forgive, because we never really saw why Kilgrave chose him specifically for the job. If Kilgrave got involved with Reva because Luke's powers were created thanks to his parent's research project, and if the super-soldiers were also tied into that group and Jessica's IGH thing, then it makes things a lot more connected and plausible. The only real randomness thus comes in from Kilgrave stumbling across Jessica that first time.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

Buck on Iron First is official now.

http://marvel.com/news/tv/25516/scott_buck_to_showrun_the_netflix_original_series_marvels_iron_fist?linkId=19388163

Guess they haven't decided whether it's late 2016 or 2017 yet, as there's no date given at all.

Really curious what his pitch was that intrigued Marvel so much, because just going on the strength of his most recent work...

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Danny Rand has finally been cast:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/366397-game-of-thrones-star-finn-jones-is-marvels-iron-fist

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

This doesn't make any sense. If he knew the Blacksmith's identity, as soon as he got out of prison he would have booked it upstate and shot Clancy Brown in the face. He only figured it out by following Karen.

I'm not sure that's the case. They've seemed to be playing around with the notion that Frank wasn't remembering everything that actually happened. Which is partially/totally down to the bullet to the head/repression.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I guess that kid was killed by an arrow to the heart, maybe the brain/heart shot prevents revival. Chakra/soul points or something.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

On that same note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBZtM8q2Z1g

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Not going to spoiler this, since I don't think it's a spoiler really. Luke Cage did the weird thing where they mentioned Obama. They didn't call him president though, they just said "Obama" so there's still wiggle room. I believe at some other point in the MCU there was a reference to President Obama too. Him being the first black president is a huge deal historically, so it would be weird to just pretend he never happened, even in the MCU. I guess maybe he could have been a one-term president and then Ellis got elected after people blamed Obama for not properly protecting the world for the New York invasion or something.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

After the Invasion, I have a feeling basically every Reptoid alien conspiracy just got a whole lot more believers. Could Obama be a Skrull?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Colleen Wing fight scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7o0jJzKiqQ

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

In the hands of a competent producing team, there would seemingly be potential for a Heroes for Hire "season 2" with Luke Cage to be used to directly address all the race problems this apparently has. I doubt they would be self-aware enough to course correct though. It would probably involve dumping Buck and making the Luke Cage showrunner the sole showrunner on Heroes for Hire.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Finished the series. Ward was the best character for me surprisingly. I found he and his dad's weird semi-sensible bad guy actions totally reasonable most of the time. Harold's shadow directions which usually amounted to, "Just roll with and do the sensible thing to avoid more problems" were especially amusing to me, because going in I expected a lot more villainous mustache twirling and back stabbing but there was actually some understandable motivations used. Ward was also largely sympathetic throughout and I was worried a hard villain turn was coming from him, so it was nice to see him on the side of good when it came down to it.

Finn as Danny was a bit off putting, they were deliberately making him immature but it plays a bit weird for the lead to be like that throughout the season's run. Makes caring for him difficult. I thought maybe they would explain that something from the dragon made him run "hot" or cause him some imbalance in his chi, but we never got that. The fight choreography was fine, I guess I don't find it as bad as some people. It's never bad per se. It's fine for a Netflix show, which I guess is the biggest damning praise you can give for it, since this particular series screams for something fantastic.

I also enjoyed both Colleen and Joy, thought they brought some new interesting angles to the Netflix corner of the universe. When we started getting hints about something being hidden in Colleen's backstory, I thought maybe they were going to somehow tie her in to Danny's dragon due to her nickname.

Claire was fine, doing her thing as she tends to do in these. I thought her first scenes where she crashed the dinner was fun. Also sign me up for her as White Tiger, Colleen and Misty to get their own show.

Madame Gao being in the Hand was also weird. I expected early that Harold was blaming it on the Hand as a fake out. Then I thought later on, well Gao is faking being in the Hand... Then, well, no Gao actually was in the Hand all along? Waa? Strange way to set that up, would have to go back to Daredevil to see if that still makes sense.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 18, 2017

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Are you talking about Nobu or someone else? Nobu got beheaded by Stick.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Iron Fist will have a new showrunner next season, so that might be a reason to check it out and compare how much it possibly improves. Might be worth waiting for that good worth of mouth before bothering though.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Kilgrave is back:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/14/jessica...ialflow_twitter

PTSD visions?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Misty's new arm is looking good:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/29/misty-knight-bionic-arm-first-look-luke-cage-season-2/

Teek fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 29, 2017

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Still not sure why they're playing so coy with the release date. Could the potentially do a surprise Friday drop one of these weeks?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

It seems like we've been getting a ton of Punisher promotional tease videos the last two weeks. Stealth drop coming within the next week or two?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Color me surprised that they actually handled a lot of the trauma and facets of being a returning soldier fairly well. Had characters who ran the gamut of how they might react. This was also probably the best well paced of the MCU Netflix shows so far.

Some thoughts on season 1 and next season: so I guess Russo will escape and hook up with some other nasty types to bring the pain back on Frank. Hopefully they won't go the cliché route and kill off Micro's family. They've been fairly good about avoiding tropes.

One thing I liked was the show really leaning on Frank always over-preparing for situations to always have an backdoor like he does in the comics. They didn't go over kill with it this season, but it was there several times.

Also greatly appreciated that people talked poo poo out and to each other multiple times.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, I knew going in that he was a bad guy, but I felt that they did a good job hiding that aspect of it until the reveal.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Punisher was just renewed for season 2 by Netflix. Yay.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/940688215475965952

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I'd love a Midnight Sons run, it's something I think I've mentioned on here before. But does Netflix have any shot at getting any more new Marvel shows now that Disney will be doing their streaming service in a year or so? I figure we got a season or two left in all their current series, and maybe another Defenders series to close it out. Disney could move them over feasibly though.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, it's never explicitly explained, but it's not a stretch to imagine all the scientists attended a experimental healing techniques conference in the 1980s or something and were thus aware of/tied to each other in some way.

I guess they could eventually reveal a mysterious overseer for all three projects (Cage, IGH and Kilgrave), but I think it can still work as is.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I'll only accept him in that role if we get a flashback to Luke watching Square One on PBS.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

For what it's worth, Feige has expressed some level of interest in Moon Knight in interviews recently. So he might suddenly be out of Perlmutter's reach now.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

So apparently they also announced Alice Eve will be playing Typhoid Mary at the Iron Fist panel. That's a bit surprising, since I thought they had Jessica's mother playing a variation on her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Thought this was good, a bit more streamlined that the first season, I think three fewer episodes helped to some degree, on the other hand... Felt several times that three more episodes actually would have helped with some plotlines. I know Mary has a lot more comics history to go into, so I kept expecting her to get more background and development with the third alter. I guess they're saving that for next season or Daredevil maybe? Colleen becoming the new Iron Fist was a bit of a surprise, with the way that last episode was going, I was like, are they really just going all the way and writing Danny out of the series?... then when Ward got on board the plane, I was like "hell yes, I just want them going on adventures and getting into trouble all next season." Hopefully we'll still get more of that now that Danny has Orson Randall's gun-fu abilities somehow.