Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just started watching and this is already loving fantastic. General question: is there any way at all to track the likelihood that a Netflix series will be renewed? Certainly seems like the critical reviews are giving this show a good shot, I'm just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hcreight posted:

Netflix seldom cancels shows after one season. Even the universally panned Hemlock Grove is getting to Season 3. It probably depends more on Marvel wanting to make more than Netflix.

Good point. I guess the question then becomes is it beneficial for Marvel to make more, but I'd hope the series being met with HOLY poo poo THIS loving RULES pretty much everywhere and therefore bringing comics closer to mainstream pop culture makes it more worth their while. I mean I like the whole superteam idea but Daredevil is by far the most interesting of the characters to me, so I hope for more DD.

1x02

The DIY medical stuff is BRUTAL but fits with the tone of the show. Still makes me :gonk: though. Also is Deborah Ann Woll a natural blonde? I thought she looked so much better as a redhead. I know the source character is blonde though, so :shobon:.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

All i'm thinking is, if the fight choreography stays at the same level: Think how loving crazy Iron Fist is going to be.

Holy poo poo yeah. The choreography in this show is so, so good. I agree that I wish the fights were better lit, though. At the same time, I know that's the aesthetic you're going for.

All I know is I'm glad this is by most accounts the future of media and I hope Marvel rides this motherfucker 'til the wheels come off, because I love superheroes and the aesthetics and everything, but I just can't find the energy, motivation, time, and/or resources to really get into comics. Doesn't Marvel have a digital subscription service now that's kinda like Scribd for comics or something? And didn't DC work out a similar deal with Scribd directly? Or am I imagining that?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Trump posted:

I'd be getting it only for Daredevil, that's why I'm asking.

Cheers for answers!

More power to you, but the breadth and depth of Netflix's catalog is so loving huge I'd imagine you'd find other things to enjoy too. :)

Also I'd say it's well worth the :10bux: and I'm only partway through, but in the interest of full disclosure I eagerly gobble up pretty much even the shittiest superhero media. :v:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hcreight posted:

Just finished episode 3.

"You should've just killed me."

:vince:

Yeah that made my jaw literally drop. Working on episode 5 and already praying to God there will be a Season 2. If the rest of the MCU stuff they release is half this good it's a good time to be a fan of stuff like this.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

I like this approach instead of the dumb sonar vision they used in the movie. It works much much better in live action stuff.

1x05

They do show some of that, though, or at least a version of it, when he interacts with Claire, right before they kiss.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wolpertinger posted:

In episode 2, Creel, the boxer Matt's dad had the big match with, is the Absorbing Man from Agents of SHIELD season 2

I KNEW that name was familiar.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Actually, Marvel are the ones that did a deal with Scribd, along with a bunch of smaller publishers. DC are allergic to anything that allows people to read their content more conveniently. If you're mostly looking for Marvel stuff, though, their Unlimited service is better, as it's a more complete library. Their Scribd offerings are mostly a sample platter, though there's a lot of good Daredevil on both.

Yeah I definitely am more partial to Marvel as a rule (from what exposure I've gotten).

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cael posted:

So let's assume that this show is an unmitigated amazing success via whatever secret internal numbers Netflix has. Is there any chance Marvel and Netflix get a season 2 greenlit/signed/filmed before Defenders airs or are we looking at a 5 year gap before we get more actual Daredevil episodes? Because I don't want to wait that long :(

Oh god I didn't think of this. :( But I'd say there's a chance. I mean we're talking literal years, Defenders is a miniseries, and AFAIK TV shows are easier to put together a little more rapidly because they typically involve less post than a big budget blockbuster, but I might be talking out of my rear end here. Of course Netflix releasing full seasons complicates things a little but with a typical TV season it's actually pretty common for them to work on episodes while a season is ongoing. It's partly why mid-season hiatuses exist.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

If they wanted to and they had the budget for it they could easily fit in another season of Daredevil before Defenders. Since the cast and crew are not going to be tied up in the other shows. The only roadblocks are money, actor availability, and if it fits into their plan. They are in the middle of filming the Jessica Jones series now and I would probably expect it out later this year. With Cage out early next year and Iron Fist late next year.

And budget sure as poo poo isn't a problem given that we're talking about the parties involved being Marvel, Netflix, and motherfucking Disney. I looked it up and the Avengers budget was $220 million and it grossed $1.5 BILLION :stare:. Not to mention the bank they make on the "individual" movies. There is sweet, sweet money to be made by keeping the MCU brand going strong, I'd imagine. I dunno how the ROI works with TV, especially internet TV, but if it causes people to sign up for Netflix, I'd imagine they'd offer sweet, sweet cash for more MCU.

Also 1x09:

HOLY gently caress THAT NOBU ENDING. AND THEN FISK. :vince:

Deadpool posted:

Also something to keep in mind is that The Defenders is not a full series like the other four. It's only going to be somewhere between four and eight episodes.

Yeah, the fact that it's a miniseries is significant.

I looked it up and other than The Incredible Hulk, every MCU movie has at LEAST doubled it's budget, generally more. Holy shitballs.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 11, 2015

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

Saw episode 1 and thought there was no way the fight choreography could stay so good.

Just finished episode 3 and it's not letting up.

Dude. Dude, you don't even know.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cams posted:

just finished the last episode

more now please thank you

cams

Dude. We agree on something. It is a miracle.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So season 2 comes out next week right?

:f5:

NotALizardman posted:

1x12

If you kill Urich I swear to god Kingp--

GOD drat YOU FISK

That was the moment, more than anything else, that made me want Daredevil to loving RUIN that fat sunuvabitch.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 11, 2015

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I think why I liked it a bit more than DD is that it was a comic book thing, but didn't feel like a comic book thing. Even with super strength and mind control and everything, that felt secondary to the actual investigations and stuff.

This is exactly why I DON'T like it as much (still working my way through). If I'm watching a comic book show there's a reason for that goddamn it.

This is still amazing though and god bless this Netflix Marvel deal and the MCU in general. So much awesome stuff. Tennant is MVP.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

radlum posted:

I loved the show but I still prefer Daredevil because it felt more comic book-y; it's a perfect match between gritty TV show and (gritty) comic book. Since Alias wasn't that comic booky to begin with, that doesn't apply to this series. Loved it anyway.

My thoughts exactly yep. Though I haven't finished this yet. But this is great, DD was mindblowing.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Holy loving fuckballs.

2x03

THAT loving FIGHT SCENE. Cox wasn't lying about that being that Season 1 fight on crack. :stare:

I hope Punisher gets his own series. Not only is the portrayal strong enough, MORE MARVEL NETFLIX SHOWS PLEASE AND THANKS.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The REAL Goobusters posted:

So whats the consensus, I slept in early last night and been at work all day today. Better than season 1?

Only on episode 4, but wouldn't say better yet, WOULD say "as good" which is to say goddamn incredible.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh my God.

2x04

This is the best, most sympathetic Punisher portrayal there's ever been. God drat, Frank. :cry:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

net cafe scandal posted:

Well who am I to question his methods. Frank seems perfect as of episode 4 so Im not really complaining.

Yeah that was the point at which I was like "This is the best Punisher ever" and he only gets better.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh. OH.

2x09

THAT'S the fight Charlie Cox was talking about. Jesus loving CHRIST, Frank. :stare: THIS SHOW.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kegslayer posted:

Episode 5

Karen was greatly improved but
Elektra was awesome and has so much better chemistry with Matt. I really hope Elektra and Matt end up happily ever after in surburbia but it's easy to see how everything goes wrong and why they amplify the crazy and the darkness in each other.

I like Karen but tbf that is heavily impacted by the fact that I'm :swoon: over Deborah Ann Woll. Like, bigtime. :shobon:

1x10

Who is the actor who plays that Jacques guy who talks to Elektra in French? He looks and sounds so familiar but Wikipedia and IMDB both tell me nothing. Also, is he a major comic character, or just some guy? Oh, and they later fight. LIVEPOSTIN', woo!

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 19, 2016

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Desperado Bones posted:

Holy poo poo I hate you all! You have the time of the world to sit and watch seven episodes in a row.

Anyway, I was able to watch episode 1 in the morning before work, and it's time to watch this thing until bed time comes. So far, so loving drat good.

If it helps, I've spent the last 24 hours realizing how hosed my lack of paid work situation is.

1x10

Oh, so much for Jacques! :v:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like literally every character on this show. It's remarkable.

I really don't like Elektra as much as most of you guys seem to though. IMO she is the weakest character by a wide, wide margin. This isn't too big of a knock though because I can say without hyperbole I think this is some of the best drat TV I've seen in a LONG loving time. Also with regards to the Matt/Elektra relationship, I'm sorry, but it just reads really forced to me with them romantically. Like, I get it, but I think because so much of it was in medias res and we get so much of it in a hodgepodge, it feels sorta half-baked to me. Am I the only one who feels that way?

Also is the Punisher series confirmed? Because I loving NEED it. Like, yesterday.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

I wouldn't say more violent, but certainly bloodier.

I feel like the first season was more brutal/visceral, but this one was more gory. Does that make any sense whatsoever? Maybe it's more that the scenes of Matt getting patched up in S1 were :stonk: as gently caress for me.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mars4523 posted:

I thought Elektra's Manic Murder Dream Girl act was largely just that. She drops the act after ep 8.

Nah, I still really loving disliked her compared to the others, even at peak pathos. And I just finished marathoning the entire thing.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mars4523 posted:

Post ep 8, we find out that Elektra was sent to seduce Matt as part of a mission from Stick. Her trying to nudge Matt over the line into being a killer seems to have been her mission objective.

Right, but that was part of the problem I had with it. Matt forgiving her, especially so quickly, made no loving sense. "I was a mission to you and have every reason to believe you could be a pathological liar but you say you fell in love with me so it's cool." I mean I speak from experience that love often makes no sense but at the same time I thought that was gonna be a major fight with them that'd resolve over the course of a few episodes, not five minutes. It was some of the weakest characterization in either season.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

Liking the show.

I've really enjoyed how each of the Marvel Netflix show's has had its own unique tone. And how each one is less a Super Hero story, and more a story that happens to have super heroes as some of the characters. Also wondering how they'll get everything to mesh for The Defenders.

For now, just popping in to say all of this. God bless Netflix and all the Marvel properties. I wasn't really anticipating this as much as say, Daredevil S2, but I finished episode 1 and am already hooked.

Also that theme song is SO GOOD.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Parkingtigers posted:

I thought the show dipped a little in the middle, but I was also literally falling asleep from late night binging at that point so it may have been me. Post finalé, the more I think about the show the more I find myself enjoying having watched it. I think it absolutely had the best last episode and ending out of all the series so far.

Also, I am possibly the whitest man on this planet, and I need to say I love how unrelentingly and unapologetically black this show is. I'm so over provided with pasty dudes who look like me telling their stories, so this show gave me something I rarely get to see and further proves the point that diversity benefits everyone in the end.

Agreed with all of this and I like literally everything that Netflix MCU has put out, albeit to varying degrees. Just ranging from goddamn awesome to pretty good and well worth watching, IMO.

Good stuff!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really enjoyed it but I'm easy to please. Just my take.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bring back old gbs posted:

Unsurprising, but a bit disappointing now that they finally showed off Iron [OBJECT] and not just punching

This is literally exactly how I feel. I'm actually really bummed out. I thought S2 was worlds better.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Koalas Massacre posted:

On one hand I'm cool with them rolling in Danny to Luke Cage and doing Heroes For Hire but the other hand it sucks that we gotta shoe horn white people (assuming Ward comes with Danny) into the only the black show.

Yeah that is a bummer but I absolutely love the dynamic between Danny and Luke. I hope they find somewhere for the IF people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just found out they cancelled Luke Cage and well, that loving sucks. The fact that Disney is launching their own service also makes me want to scream. I'm seriously getting streaming service fatigue.