Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"Preparation H: For Your Butt Only"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Tony is a terrible leader.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Black Widow is the only normal human (albeit well-trained) who can hold her own in a gang of gods, mutants, and superpowered freaks; she is cool and good.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I wanted to like Punisher a lot more than I actually did. Felt like it kind of drifted around.

All the action was great but wasn't enough to go around. Frank and Micro made a good team, both of their backstories were compelling. The PTSD & veteran therapy group stuff was interesting and I wish they had spent more time on that.

Any of the larger agency vs agency conspiracy stuff fell like a lead weight though. I found myself drifting off and wondering why I was supposed to care. It was obvious to me that Billy was the bad guy, probably because he was pretty much the same character on Westworld. Plus I think he's a boring actor.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Wrapped up Jessica Jones Season 2 last night. I liked it a lot.

Not too much story slack, characters did stuff that led to consequences which made sense, Hogarth continued to own, the finale put together some solid table-setting for S3.

E: Things I'd like to see more of in S3: More insight into Hogarth's motivations & backstory, more of JJ doing detective stuff. Like Jim Rockford but with superpowers.

Well, that's my Jessica Jones Season 2 story, thanks.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 1, 2018

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
James Earl Jones shows up to say, "Luke, I am your father."

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

As long as they use the comic story that relaunched Luke Cage into the current marvel universe.

Frank gets surgery to hide him from the Kingpin until the heat does down. When Frank wakes up he realizes that the surgeon made him black. Then Frank and Luke team up to stop some goons from forcing tenants out of their homes so the goons can dig up a couple million in the nazi gold that the buildings owner hid there.

I have one of those comics, can confirm its insanity.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I was still half heartedly defending Arrow and Flash even in the early part of this season but at this point they're irredeemable.

You can't even hate-watch them, it's more bore-watch, which is worse. Arrow is just meh and Flash is plain dumb; Elastic Man was the only thing keeping me going aside from Caitlin/Killer Frost who appears too infrequently to maintain interest.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
JJ Season 2 was good.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I want to be Alfre Woodard's boy toy.

Enjoying this so far. Cool atmosphere, great music, Luke wrecking fools, Mariah being a stone cold boss.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Just wrapped up the finale. A devastating confluence of tragedies, closing most of the main storylines while opening new ones. This was a great season despite the kinda rough start. A fine sendoff for Reg Cathey.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Exactly; Luke's wheelhouse is "punch bad dudes". He has just enough rep and charisma to keep Carbone and the other remaining power players out of Harlem, but has zero interest in protecting beyond that. If the mob fucks up Hells Kitchen, that's Matt's problem, not his. It's a very pragmatic outlook. At the same time I can totally understand why his protege/hype man had issues with that approach. There's always going to be a threat if you get complacent and rely on the status quo. I thought the finale was very well done.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Not really? The show makes clear that his solution is tenuous at best. He's at his skill set limit.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The're never going to cross over at this point. Every once in awhile someone asks Feige about it and he gives a vague answer where he hems and haws and pretends like he's thinking real hard about the possibility once Phase 23 is over or whatever.

Jeph Loeb should just put out some hand-wavey "Oh, the TV shows really take place on Earth-616b, where nothing weird happened after the Chitauri Invasion so The Avengers disbanded" statement and be done with it.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Luke Cage season 2 was great.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Habibi posted:

I would watch a show where Ward Meachum and Bushmaster just sit over hot beverages and discuss their life experiences for 40 minutes straight. "What's your name?" "Dem call me Bushmasta'." "Yeah? Well, 'dem call me' a depressed sack of poo poo. I guess when they're right, they're right." And on and on.

Hell yeah.

Antagonists In Cars Getting Coffee

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
LC Season 2 was pretty good. Same problem as always where 10 episodes could have done the job instead of 13 but overall really solid.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Cloak and Dagger was pretty good.

Runaways was intolerable.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

smh at skipping gross english titty vampire and SURPRISE, MOTHERFUCKER

do you even dexter

e: if anything skip s3: dexter makes friends with jimmy smits and that's about it edition

I like that titty vampire lady is again playing a titty vampire on Castlevania.

Killing Doakes off was a huge mistake.

I thought S3 was fun only because Smits leans so hard into becoming a serial killer's protege and just devours the scenery doing so.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

Lost answered almost all of the mysteries it proposed and the ending that people keep saying happened didn't actually happen.

Yeah, the last ~1.5 seasons were basically a huge exposition dump to wrap up all the sprawling plotlines and unraveled threads that Cuse & Lindelof had created over the years. It had gotten away from them at some point, and the writer's strike taking place just as the show was peaking didn't help. Personally, if it had ended with Through The Looking Glass, it would have gone down as the greatest series finale of all time. But, the show had a resolution nonetheless.

People were just disappointed because they had spent 7+ years theorizing all sorts of crazy stuff and never expecting the show to actually end. As each plot and character arc started to close off, those in turn narrowed the possible endgames for related plots and characters. Inevitably that's going to feel like a letdown.

You can see the same thing happening with ASOIAF/Game of Thrones. The first scene of both the book and TV show is the dead returning to life and killing humans. Confronting that threat has always what the story's been leading to. It's just surrounded by layers of war, intrigue, murder, dragons, sorceresses, and people baked in pies, all of which beget their own theories and wishful thinking in the fandom. Now that the focus is narrowing, people are getting restless because it's not matching what they had in their head for decades.

Anyway, DD S3 was good and it sucks that's probably the last we'll see of any of these characters for a long while.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Dec 8, 2018

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Which is kind of a bummer since the casting, with the exception of Iron Fist, was absolutely spot-on. It was the writing and execution that came up short. Not sure if that's a Netflix problem, though.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
It's good. I like it more than Season 1.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Lid posted:

Funnily I adore Homecoming and part of that is The Vulture is amazing, Michael Keaton is just so great as an understandable blue collar man turned criminal but still very not-evil and its nice to have an MCU film on the level of like the netflix shows down via the streets but with a ridiculous budget.

Yeah Vulture owned. That scene with him and Peter in his car was chilling. Fuckin' masterwork by Keaton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB5HTcFhCso

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
lol at Luke Cage actually needing to develop a fighting technique. "Nearly indestructible and incredibly strong" means he just needs to slap a fool that gets within his reach.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Finished JJ Season 3; I liked it. Felt like character consistency was much better and it gave us the only logical outcome from Trish's actions last season. You could tell when the writing started to sag the last couple episodes but it still ended strong IMO.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I'd say all the series' had something likable and/or worthwhile about them, just each suffered with variable writing and plot quality in their own way.

I liked JJ the most when she was shown actually just being a detective who gets by with some super power poo poo to get her out of jams. I'd say it was the most consistent of the Netflix shows, but not necessarily the best overall, meaning running on all cylinders at any given point. That would probably go to Daredevil or maybe Punisher S1.

If you could combine the first half of Luke Cage S1 and the second half of S2 you'd have one amazing season of television.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
madame gao's smug smile across the various series became a running joke with my friends and i.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
He had his moments, and was improving in S2, but the bottom line is that Finn Jones was woefully miscast as Danny.

I won't cap him too much on the martial arts stuff since that was clearly a failure on the production side to train him up but he's too aloof and too pretty to sell the "wandering philosopher / wisecracking man of the street" aspect of the character.

He's supposed to be someone who can hang with Luke Cage, and, uhhh ... no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
would literally be a more enjoyable & fulfilling ending